The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

22 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Ok, but probably could have inserted that plot point in 5 minutes within another episode instead of burning one of our previous episodes on that nonsense. 

OR they felt they needed more to the story than that. Jesus.

21 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

We talked about that after episode 2, but it was dismissed as bullshit.  See post #1518 on page 31.  40 years ago, sub-light travel was established in The Empire Strikes Back.  The Falcon had to travel from Hoth, to the Noad system, and ultimately to Bespin (with Boba Fett stealthily following) since the hyperdrive was damaged. We've known for the better part of 5 decades that sub-light travel was possible. 

That episode is filler....for now.  Unless Filoni revisits an element in it.  In an 8 episode season, that's a large percentage of the season that was spent on not much happening or advancing any specific plot point.  It picked back up almost immediately in the season's 3rd episode, with the arrival of Bo Katan. 

Jesus Christ you people just can't help yourself from find SOME WAY to shit on something.  If it's not EXACTLY perfect the way YOU think it should be then it's a problem.

That episode was entertaining and actually informative as not just the whole "sublight travel" aspect was reintroduced, but also at the end they explained that Mando and his Ship have pretty much been cleared of most wrong doing in the Prisoner episode in season 1.

Plus, you know what? All that flying around through the clouds and on that ice planet was pretty cool.  Sometimes you just see cool shit.

8 hours ago, Nivek said:

So the annoying martez sisters are going to reappear....damnit.

Probably not.  Filoni has already said they were introduced and major plot points of season 7 just to show the other side of the of the war and Republic.  Not the jedi but regular citizens.  It influences Ahsoka and the way she talkes/reacts to Obi-Wan in later episodes when they basically will do whatever the Chancellor needs.

Spoiler

kjshjkghsjkghsjkadgh

We all knew the big question was WHICH Jedi got the call Grogu put out.... Ezra, Ahsoka, god damned Mace Windu... new character from legends...WHO!?!?!?

Motherfucking red solo xwing casually flies into frame. Ah shit here we go. Like father like son. Board a ship and fucking wreck shit in hallways.

The slow 'reveal' was great. I mean it's confirmed basically by the xwing. But followed by the green saber. Then the shot of the prominent black gloved right hand. 

Essentially just had us nerds edging while watching. The only missed opportunity for style, which I think Luke would have been believable doing cause he's a smarmy little shit sometimes, was as he gets to the top of the elevator about to massacre the last line of droids.... force shatter the lighting in that hallway and make it pitch dark. So you can have that same shot of blackness illuminated by the saber being lit. Vader Red in Rogue One and Luke's Jedi Knight Green here. They already did so much to pay tribute / mimic that epic-ness. If for no other reason of having side by side GIF's of each haha.

Dark Saber in action was fucking dope.

Din getting Tysoned by the Dark Trooper against the wall was brutal. face punch. repeat. face punch. repeat. 

All chica hit squad just cleaning up the ship was dope. Glad they gave the other girl mando more to do / holds own against Boba. 

Those two Mando girls look bad ass, Love how Bo Katan's design from CW transferred to live action, looks so cool. I just rewatched the end of clone wars and they nailed it. Mando suits don't look bigger in person as you would expect going from cartoon to live action. Really well done..... 

Grogu touching Din on the face was very dusty.

i don't know what R2 was dancing about unless he too was like "oh shit a baby yoda!"

the force crush of the last trooper was just.......*chefs kiss* 

minor gripes....

Gideon knew they were coming.... he literally got a video gram him saying they were.... Soon as you see a sketch mayday from an unscheduled shuttle, blast that fucker out of the sky. End of show. He's too smart for that. 

Bo Katan's big issue with not having "won" the saber is dumb AF. That thing has been stolen left and right from people and gifted afterwards before in current canon. Dumb thing to care about for the "relaxed" Mandos. Take your helmet off and just make everyone there promise to not say anything. Easy, move on.

Missing 3rd mando from Bo's team. Like at least use a line of dialogue to say where was. Or died. Something though. Baby Sitting that transport they stole, something. You go to recruit a three person team and it's only two and you don't even bring it up? 33% of a squad missing warrants an explanation. 

Would have been great to see Boba and Slave 1 come back in and dock, ready for an escape if needed..... Only to have Lukes X Wing park next to him and give him a salute wave or something.

REACTIONS HIDDEN SPOILER BUT HONESTLY WTF ARE YOU DOING READING THIS THREAD WITHOUT WATCHING THE FINAL

Edited by cam4mav
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Spoiler

kjshjkghsjkghsjkadgh
We all knew the big question was WHICH Jedi got the call Grogu put out.... Ezra, Ahsoka, god damned Mace Windu... new character from legends...WHO!?!?!?

Motherfucking red solo xwing casually flies into frame. Ah shit here we go. Like father like son. Board a ship and fucking wreck shit in hallways.
The slow 'reveal' was great. I mean it's confirmed basically by the xwing. But followed by the green saber. Then the shot of the prominent black gloved right hand. 
Essentially just had us nerds edging while watching. The only missed opportunity for style, which I think Luke would have been believable doing cause he's a smarmy little shit sometimes, was as he gets to the top of the elevator about to massacre the last line of droids.... force shatter the lighting in that hallway and make it pitch dark. So you can have that same shot of blackness illuminated by the saber being lit. Vader Red in Rogue One and Luke's Jedi Knight Green here. They already did so much to pay tribute / mimic that epic-ness. If for no other reason of having side by side GIF's of each haha.

Din getting Tysoned by the Dark Trooper against the wall was brutal. face punch. repeat. face punch. repeat. 
All chica hit squad just cleaning up the ship was dope. Glad they gave the other girl mando more to do / holds own against Boba. 
Those two Mando girls look bad ass, Love how Bo Katan's design from CW transferred to live action, looks so cool. I just rewatched the end of clone wars and they nailed it. Mando suits don't look bigger in person as you would expect going from cartoon to live action. Really well done..... 
i don't know what R2 was dancing about unless he too was like "oh shit a baby yoda!"

minor gripes....
Gideon knew they were coming.... he literally got a video gram him saying they were.... Soon as you see a sketch mayday from an unscheduled shuttle, blast that fucker out of the sky. End of show. He's too smart for that. 
Bo Katan's big issue with not having "won" the saber is dumb AF. That thing has been stolen left and right from people and gifted afterwards before in current canon. Dumb thing to care about for the "relaxed" Mandos. Take your helmet off and just make everyone there promise to not say anything. Easy, move on.
Missing 3rd mando from Bo's team. Like at least use a line of dialogue to say where was. Or died. Something though. Baby Sitting that transport they stole, something. You go to recruit a three person team and it's only two and you don't even bring it up? 33% of a squad missing warrants an explanation. 

Would have been great to see Boba and Slave 1 come back in and dock, ready for an escape if needed..... Only to have Lukes X Wing park next to him and give him a salute wave or something.

REACTIONS HIDDEN SPOILER BUT HONESTLY WTF ARE YOU DOING READING THIS THREAD WITHOUT WATCHING THE FINAL

Pretty much everything I thought.

luke getting his version of the Vader Rogue One scene was epic. All the fighting was freaking perfect.

The thing with Bo Katan did matter. Winning it was important. Especially with the transfer of power. The only time we saw it “gifted” was when Sabine gave it to who she believed was the rightful ruler of Mandalore.

Maybe they continue something between Bo and him next season.

Luke looked great. They’ve come a LONG way in CGI with faces. As long as they keep it limited it’s not bad at all.

And the end credit scene was pretty dope

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, cam4mav said:
  Hide contents

kjshjkghsjkghsjkadgh

minor gripes....

Spoiler

BTW R2 never had his memory wiped so its likely he knows Grogu from his time with Anakin....

I agree with everyone else....

Spoiler

Random thoughts:

• Fucking loved Luke coming back and the execution of his entrance.  R2 following him onto the bridge was just the fucking cherry on top.  The Dark Trooper getting force crushed was epic.
  • Bo Katan not taking the Dark Saber was true to the Mandalorian way.  That will come up next season, no doubt. 
  • Glad to see the show's storyline will evolve next season and move on from Grogu.  That could only go on for so long.  There are some interesting things that the show can do now, specifically with Din, Mandalore,  and Bo and the Night Owls.
  • Nice explanation on the tear tattoo on Cara's cheek
  • Slave I space scenes never get old
  • Beskar Spear and the Dark Saber duel was epic too
  • The post credits scene was fucking money!

I have a feeling that, if done correctly, the Book of Boba Fett could surpass this series.  Boba sitting on Jabba's throne reminded me of the end scene from Conan the Barbarian, at least the way it was shot.  Very cool.  The music during that scene was epic too.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

I agree with everyone else....

Hide contents

Random thoughts:

• Fucking loved Luke coming back and the execution of his entrance.  R2 following him onto the bridge was just the fucking cherry on top.  The Dark Trooper getting force crushed was epic.
  • Bo Katan not taking the Dark Saber was true to the Mandalorian way.  That will come up next season, no doubt. 
  • Glad to see the show's storyline will evolve next season and move on from Grogu.  That could only go on for so long.  There are some interesting things that the show can do now, specifically with Din, Mandalore,  and Bo and the Night Owls.
  • Nice explanation on the tear tattoo on Cara's cheek
  • Slave I space scenes never get old
  • Beskar Spear and the Dark Saber duel was epic too
  • The post credits scene was fucking money!

I have a feeling that, if done correctly, the Book of Boba Fett could surpass this series.  Boba sitting on Jabba's throne reminded me of the end scene from Conan the Barbarian, at least the way it was shot.  Very cool.  The music during that scene was epic too.

Spoiler

Totally agree about the throne and it being a Conan call back.  Loved it.

4 hours ago, cam4mav said:
  Hide contents

kjshjkghsjkghsjkadgh

minor gripes....

Yeah this was near perfect, but a pitch black entrance into the hallway followed by light saber ignition would’ve been an easy top 5 Star Wars scene. 

I’m as pumped about this series as I am nauseous over what was done with Ep. 7-9. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Drew said:

OR they felt they needed more to the story than that. Jesus.

Jesus Christ you people just can't help yourself from find SOME WAY to shit on something.  If it's not EXACTLY perfect the way YOU think it should be then it's a problem.

That episode was entertaining and actually informative as not just the whole "sublight travel" aspect was reintroduced, but also at the end they explained that Mando and his Ship have pretty much been cleared of most wrong doing in the Prisoner episode in season 1.

Plus, you know what? All that flying around through the clouds and on that ice planet was pretty cool.  Sometimes you just see cool shit.

Probably not.  Filoni has already said they were introduced and major plot points of season 7 just to show the other side of the of the war and Republic.  Not the jedi but regular citizens.  It influences Ahsoka and the way she talkes/reacts to Obi-Wan in later episodes when they basically will do whatever the Chancellor needs.

This can't be left unaddressed.  Drew, you need to throttle back.  Those of us criticizing this episode weren't "shitting" on it.  A critical discussion on the episode doesn't mean that we were upset that Filoni didn't do it the way we had envisioned, but rather left us wondering what the overall point of the episode was.  You make a valid point about Mando being cleared of wrongdoing by the Republic.  Fair enough, that's a solid point.  But for an episode that was sandwiched between a kickass premiere with Cobb Vanth, and a badass third episode with Bo and the Night Owls taking on Imperials, I don't agree with that point being made in the last 3 minutes of a filler episode.  

When looking back on the second season, there's one episode that's not like the others in terms of pace, story, and overall plot advancement.  It's an eight episode season.  Filler isn't required.  It's not that the episode wasn't entertaining, it's that it was the least entertaining of the season.  Criticizing it in a thread discussing the series isn't off base.  If this was a 20+ episode season similar to CW, I'd have said nothing about it.  But it's not.  We're watching week to week for eight weeks and then waiting 44 weeks for the next season to start.  Efficiency counts for something when we're viewing it in that manner. 

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

This can't be left unaddressed.  Drew, you need to throttle back.  Those of us criticizing this episode weren't "shitting" on it.  A critical discussion on the episode doesn't mean that we were upset that Filoni didn't do it the way we had envisioned, but rather left us wondering what the overall point of the episode was.  You make a valid point about Mando being cleared of wrongdoing by the Republic.  Fair enough, that's a solid point.  But for an episode that was sandwiched between a kickass premiere with Cobb Vanth, and a badass third episode with Bo and the Night Owls taking on Imperials, I don't agree with that point being made in the last 3 minutes of a filler episode.  

When looking back on the second season, there's one episode that's not like the others in terms of pace, story, and overall plot advancement.  It's an eight episode season.  Filler isn't required.  It's not that the episode wasn't entertaining, it's that it was the least entertaining of the season.  Criticizing it in a thread discussing the series isn't off base.  If this was a 20+ episode season similar to CW, I'd have said nothing about it.  But it's not.  We're watching week to week for eight weeks and then waiting 44 weeks for the next season to start.  Efficiency counts for something when we're viewing it in that manner. 

It's crazy that someone will say I need to throttle back for a post(maybe it was another small post too) when they went for a page or so talking about a "filler episode" like WTF? 

It's one thing to be critical of something, but in typical Surly/Shaggy tradition, ya'll take criticizing to a whole new level that if it isn't shitting on it, it's damn near close.  It's like a show/movie could be fucking perfect, but we on this site will find SOMETHING, anything, to nit pick about.  Sometimes just enjoy the ride.  That's all I'm saying.

Just now, Drew said:

It's crazy that someone will say I need to throttle back for a post(maybe it was another small post too) when they went for a page or so talking about a "filler episode" like WTF? 

It's one thing to be critical of something, but in typical Surly/Shaggy tradition, ya'll take criticizing to a whole new level that if it isn't shitting on it, it's damn near close.  It's like a show/movie could be fucking perfect, but we on this site will find SOMETHING, anything, to nit pick about.  Sometimes just enjoy the ride.  That's all I'm saying.

I mentioned throttling back because of your use of CAPS in your response and the tone of your post.  

I wouldn't expect that after posting for nearly two months about a series, anyone would find a group of people agreeing week to week, or finding effusive posts praising the series' perfection week to week.  But, we're all enjoying the season.  We're enjoying the ride.  The people who had a criticism of one episode of this season are the same people that are posting, and enthusiastically I might add, about the other 7 episodes.  Those posts are, by and large, positive and informative.  That includes your posts as well.  I thought you made an informative point, it just got lost in the tenor of the rest of the message. 

Spoiler

Loved seeing Luke get his own hallway scene moment like Vader in Rogue One.

I wonder if "The Book of Boba Fett" is going to be a separate series that will run concurrently to The Mandalorian S3 or if that will be part of S3? If I recall correctly, Season 3 is also slated to premiere in December 2021 which is when the post-credit scene said "The Book of Boba Fett" would premiere.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BluTechsan said:

well, except for a little FYI - watch all the way through the end credits

That was almost as amazing as everything that preceded it.

9 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:
  Hide contents

Loved seeing Luke get his own hallway scene moment like Vader in Rogue One.

I wonder if "The Book of Boba Fett" is going to be a separate series that will run concurrently to The Mandalorian S3 or if that will be part of S3? If I recall correctly, Season 3 is also slated to premiere in December 2021 which is when the post-credit scene said "The Book of Boba Fett" would premiere.

Spoiler

Book of Boba Fett would fit in with the Mandalorian's "Chapter" setup, but there's been a Boba Fett spinoff rumored from the get-go, and Iger deliberately side-stepped it at the Disney thing last week.

Din and the others have nothing to do or care about on Tatooine, so I think it's a spin-off.

Edited by atomheartbevo

10 minutes ago, pops said:

Stupid question amnesty. I dont follow the whole star wars universe as closely as some on here,  but were we told boba fett is a clone of the original that actuality died in the sarlac pit?  

No, he's an unaltered clone of Jango - unaltered in the sense that he wasn't speed-grown or whatever in a vat, and so naturally ages, unlike the clone troopers who aged rapidly.

11 minutes ago, pops said:

Stupid question amnesty. I dont follow the whole star wars universe as closely as some on here,  but were we told boba fett is a clone of the original that actuality died in the sarlac pit?  

Part of Jango Fett’s payment for being cloned was an unaltered clone to be his son (Boba).

1 hour ago, Winona's Big Orange Bevo said:

YES!!  Just geeked out with my 6th grade class. My nerd was on par with all the others trying to guess who it was!!

Spoiler

I convinced myself that it was Mace Windu, because of his connection to Yoda. 

When Luke was going through those Dark Troopers I still thought it was Mace, like maybe he just had to use a green light saber instead of his purple one because it was lost. Even when I saw the glove I remembered that Anakin cut Mace's hand off. I never thought they would show Luke post ROTJ in his prime mowing through those Dark Troopers, I lost my shit. This is what the fans have wanted to see for decades. I don't know how they managed to keep that under wraps. 

They need to hand the keys to Faloni and Favreau for the movies too. There's a respect for the source material there that comes through in their work. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:
  Hide contents

So like are we done with Dins arc and this is a Boba show or is it gonna be a spinoff? Are they gonna do a Bo Katan arc next?

The spinoffs set around the Mandalorian have been announced as crossing over with one another.

Spoiler

Book of Boba Fett is going to be its own spinoff, whether it's a limited series (Obi Wan Kenobi is a limited series) or open-ended like Mandalorian, who knows,.

Like I said, Din and Bo Katan give no shits about Tatooine, and they made this massive deal of Din winning the Dark Saber and he is now the rightful ruler of Mandalore.  That's too big of a thing for them to just say "fuck it, we're gonna hang on Tatooine for a while!"

Boba Fett's thing could be setting up New Rangers of the Republic or whatever.

• Like 1

The Mandalorian sub on reddit deep-dives into a lot of stuff, but some comments made me chuckel

Spoiler

Redditor #1: The Dark Troopers were under levelled. They’d only just left the tutorial area.

Redditor #2: Luke is spawn killing

Redditor #3: Like father, like son

and

Spoiler

Look left and right... good.

Now walk forward... good.

Now, turn to that door blocking you from the Mandalorian. Use R2 to PUNCH.

Oh dear, you've been blown out of the ship. Hold R1 to open your Quickmenu and select Jetpack. Pilot your way back to the ship.

Now that you have completed this tutorial. -BOSS FIGHT-

• Like 2
  • Haha 3