The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

4 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

I didn't see where they mentioned the passing of Jeremy Bulloch in the credits or post credits.  Surprised they didn't mention that given Boba's involvement over the past few weeks.  Something like a "In Memory of...".

Well he died yesterday so they probably didn't have time

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I know it wasn’t possible due to Mark Hammills age by the time 7-9 came around, but that’s the Luke we’ve wanted to see since RotJ. Even without the action, that was the character as we’d scene him develop over a 3 movie arc. 

I do think the darksaber thing is a big deal. If it wasn’t, Mail wouldn’t have ruled mandalore, right?  

41 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I know it wasn’t possible due to Mark Hammills age by the time 7-9 came around, but that’s the Luke we’ve wanted to see since RotJ. Even without the action, that was the character as we’d scene him develop over a 3 movie arc. 

I do think the darksaber thing is a big deal. If it wasn’t, Mail wouldn’t have ruled mandalore, right?  

Possesing the darksaber is a very big deal. How it comes to be possesed by the person who owns it...... not so much. Maul took advantage of civil war that weakened the political side of things on Mandolore and then used dark saber to take command of one faction and fight the other for the planet (very rough memory, might be completely wrong) That was Clone Wars era

In Rebels, Ezra Kanen and Sabine are on Darthomere (Mauls home planet) doing some voodoo shit and they find the Dark Saber just chillin in Mauls hut of collectibles. They take it from him and later Sabine uses it to unite factions on Mandolore, then literally hands it off to her friend to rule. No fight to the death. I think.... again memory a bit fuzzy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

Possesing the darksaber is a very big deal. How it comes to be possesed by the person who owns it...... not so much. Maul took advantage of civil war that weakened the political side of things on Mandolore and then used dark saber to take command of one faction and fight the other for the planet (very rough memory, might be completely wrong) That was Clone Wars era

In Rebels, Ezra Kanen and Sabine are on Darthomere (Mauls home planet) doing some voodoo shit and they find the Dark Saber just chillin in Mauls hut of collectibles. They take it from him and later Sabine uses it to unite factions on Mandolore, then literally hands it off to her friend to rule. No fight to the death. I think.... again memory a bit fuzzy. 

Her friend being Bo Katan, which leads one to wonder how she lost it

5 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Agreed.  Don't forget the last 4 episodes of CW earlier this year.  That was a phenomenal set up for Bo Katan and Ahsoka in this series.  

Just made my buddy watch those 4 episodes 2 days ago after finding out he hadn't seen any of CW or Rebels.

He was floored. Such an amazing finish to that story and setup for what comes after. It really was full fledged movie release quality.

He's currently flying through Rebels 

9 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I wasn't even sure Bo was in Rebels jfc. I need to re-watch that arc again. I thought it was someone from Sabines family or something. Slightly important difference. I'll shut up about that part for now haha

For anyone that just wants to crash course the cartoon episodes relating to Mandalore.

https://www.gamesradar.com/mandalorian-season-2-clone-wars-rebels-episodes-to-watch/

Spoiler

The Clone Wars season 2, episodes 12-14 

The first Mandalore arc in The Clone Wars begins with season 2, episode 12 "The Mandalore Plot," where Obi-Wan Kenobi heads to the planet to investigate rumors of a resurgence of a Mandalorian splinter group called Death Watch. At this point, Mandalore is ruled by a pacifist government led by Duchess Satine Kryze, put in place after the New Mandalorian peace movement defeated traditionalists who sought to continue the planet's history of warmongering. New Mandalore is neutral in the Clone Wars, but Death Watch aligns themselves with Separatist leader Count Dooku and attempts to stage a coup against Satine. These three episodes will give you some great insight into Mandalore's conflicted and bloody history ahead of more Mandalore-centric stories to come.

The Clone Wars season 5, episodes 14-16 

This three-episode arc is essential to understanding the Mandalorians' role in the Clone Wars, and how often the planet and its people seem to be perpetually caught in-between conflicts. It's by far the most important arc about Mandalore. Darth Maul and his brother, Savage Opress, are building their crime syndicate and use Mandalore as a base of operations, pulling Death Watch members into their circuit. It's at this point that the Duchess Satine's sister, Bo-Katan Kryze, herself a member of Death Watch, becomes the leader of a faction of dissidents. This is also when Darth Maul claims the Darksaber from Pre Viszla, the Death Watch leader voiced by The Mandalorian creator Jon Favreau.  

The Clone Wars season 7, episodes 9 and 10

The final season of The Clone Wars has an important Mandalorian arc that involves Ahsoka Tano and Bo-Katan working together to overthrow Darth Maul's reign on Mandalore. Considering Bo-Katan has already appeared in this season, and Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka Tano is all but confirmed, their dynamic in The Clone Wars may give us some insight into how they may interact in the live-action series. While much of these two episodes focus on Ahsoka and Maul, the Siege of Mandalore is an important Clone Wars battle, and one shapes the planet's future.

Star Wars Rebels Mandalore episodes 

Star Wars Rebels season 3, episodes 15 and 16 

Even though the entire series has a Mandalorian as a main character (Sabine Wren), there are certain Rebels episodes that are key, and this two-episode arc is one of them. It explains some deep Mandalore/Jedi lore, and puts the Darksaber back in the hands of a Mandalorian  – the aforementioned Sabine Wren, who returns to her family in an attempt to free Mandalore from Imperial rule. The second episode in this arc, "The Legacy of Mandalore" explains Mandalorian houses and clans, which will help you understand Din Djarin and Baby Yoda's clan of two. Daw. 

Star Wars Rebels season 4, episode 1 and 2

There's a whole lot of Mandalore in these two episodes, aptly titled "Heroes of Mandalore Part 1 and 2." Sabine, wielding the Darksaber, leads a mission to free her father (and the planet) from the Empire's clutches. What ultimately happens explains why the Mandalorians of the Disney Plus original series hates the Empire so much – it's brutal. The second episode in this arc brings back Bo-Katan, who receives the Darksaber from Sabine in what seems to be a happy ending. Unfortunately, we know that somehow Moff Gideon gets that Darksaber and the people of Mandalore end up in hiding. They can't catch a break.

So there you have it, 13 episodes you should watch ahead of The Mandalorian season 2 that will have you an expert on all things Mandalore. Considering these episodes clock in at around 20 minutes apiece, you can easily get through them before The Mandalorian season 2 ends. 

Edited by cam4mav

27 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I was able to watch this episode with my 8 year-old son, and it's going to be one of those memories we treasure - when the X-Wing pulled in, I think he thought it might be the X-Wing cops that seemed to pop up randomly, but it was clicking in my head that it was only one X-Wing, and I had been waiting on the Jedi that Grogu called out to.

My kid started shaking and just bouncing up and down on the couch next to me when the green lightsaber came out and he realized who it was.

spacer.png

My inner child stated shaking and bouncing when the green lightsaber ignited. I still didn't believe it until he lifted the hood, then the ugly cry started. (No shame in that statement) 😎 Rewatching with my daughter tonight. 

Edited by RiverwalkMiner
Spelling
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Talking about the kids I actually thought it was interesting (re)-watching with my 13 year old son.  His reaction very quickly before we even got to the green saber was  "oh it's Skywalker".   It was not in a disappointed way or anything like that.  The reaction was more "this is another character in a story chock full of them so it's neat they brought him back into the fold here."  Different paradigm.  Whereas of course I was like "Damn this is THE character I was raised on in this story....looks like he's ready to kick some ass oh shit, let's go!!!"

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Talking about the kids I actually thought it was interesting (re)-watching with my 13 year old son.  His reaction very quickly before we even got to the green saber was  "oh it's Skywalker".   It was not in a disappointed way or anything like that.  The reaction was more "this is another character in a story chock full of them so it's neat they brought him back into the fold here."  Different paradigm.  Whereas of course I was like "Damn this is THE character I was raised on in this story....looks like he's ready to kick some ass oh shit, let's go!!!"

I wonder if it's an age thing and/or what they've seen.  My 8 year-old does not really care for the prequels that much (outside of TPM which he loves), and hasn't seen much of the sequels.  The OT is pretty much it for him, although he's watching through all of Clone Wars.  Plus, he's got my toys and very little of the sequel or prequel toys.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I wonder if it's an age thing and/or what they've seen.  My 8 year-old does not really care for the prequels that much (outside of TPM which he loves), and hasn't seen much of the sequels.  The OT is pretty much it for him, although he's watching through all of Clone Wars.  Plus, he's got my toys and very little of the sequel or prequel toys.

My kid has probably seen more than me as he has seen all the movies (started with OT of course) and seen CW and Rebels (whereas I have only seen bits of those).  He also likes Star Wars a lot, he doesn't love it like we tended to as kids.  Probably because so many other movie and entertainment options now it's just part of the crowd of MCU, blah blah blah.

Edited by Surly Bevo

@atomheartbevo I actually for just a second thought it was going to be the pilots. I started expecting a fleet to drop out after the “saved by a lone swing” remark. I was expecting Ashoka, and honestly, I assumed Luke/Leia/Han were 100% off limits. Then it started to dawn on me it could just be Luke...but no...right?  Even with the hooded figure hopping out I didn’t want to think it was him because I didn’t want to be disappointed. It may have been less than a few seconds but it was an emotional roller coaster that felt like forever. Loved it. The only thing I wish they’d done was had Luke pin one of the droids on the ceiling to mirror the Vader scene. 

such a great show. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

After re-watching those episodes ...no wonder she's so pissy about everything. There is more the to idea of winning it through combat than I remembered.

Bo-Katan rundown below

Spoiler

Bo's sister Satine controlled Mandalore, lost it Pre Vizsla (who had dark saber) during civil war with help from Maul, then Maul killed Satine and then dueled Pre and won the Dark Saber from him and killing him, thus controlling Mandalore from there.

Then Bo controlled Mandalore after Maul was defeated by Ahsoka and the clone/Bo's army, but without the dark saber as by that time it was chilling at Mauls hut on his home world, and then Bo proceeded to lose control to the empire shortly after. End of CW, before Rebels.

End of Rebels, Bo was gifted the dark saber by Sabine after some fuckery.....Sabine stole it from Maul, then gave it to her mom who made a big stink about Sabine not winning it in proper combat, who then betrayed Sabine and gave it to Saxon, who then tried to kill Sabine and her mom, and Sabine fought Saxon using Ezra's lightsaber to defeat Saxon using the dark saber. So Sabine actually did win it in combat and earned the right to lead Mandalore..... But she bailed on it in favor of Bo... who was hesitant but accepted and had support across Mandalore to do so, seemingly.

Fast forward to Mando post ROTJ and she's without the dark saber and Mandalore got fucking toasted by the Empire at some point, safe assumption Gideon was involved.

So now that means Bo's sister failed. Then Bo failed without the saber. Then Bo failed again with the saber but it wasn't really won properly and the whole planet got fucked up. And now she's trying AGAIN to lead Mandalore and use the dark saber as justification if she can win it "legit" and finally do things the right "way"...

Then Din accidently steals that opportunity she's been desperate for after years of fighting and losing, all while Din is just trying to be a good baby sitter and doesn't give a rat fuck about all that. 

LMFAO that does actually suck pretty bad. I thought she was just being a prissy bitch. Meh I get it now.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Great episode! So next season we get a reuniting madalore storyline maybe, now that mando is kid free? And a book of boba... or is next season just switching over to boba being the mandalorian in the title?

Next season almost 100% will be reuniting Mandalore. Din is being built up to be the leader that doesn't want to be the leader. Bo want's it but I think season 3 will include various things to sway her away from that and push Din to take up the mantle, and do what Sabine did not. 

Book of Boba will be it's own series. Probably a couple of episodes like we'll get with Obi Wan. An entire 8 would be amazing but I'm expecting 3 or 4. 

Very minor detail i loved. They mentioned phase three dark troopers and that they were droids. 
thats exactly the same setup as in the old 90s dark forces game. Phase 1 and 2 were armor. Third was droid.   

wonder if we are going to see this fleshed out in the rogue one show.   I would kill for a dark forces story line. 

Edited by Xian

I thought it was going to be Ezra, even after the X-Wing landed because he had a green lightsaber too.  Then towards the end of the fight there was a good shot of the lightsaber and I thought holy shit, that's Luke.  I love you John Favreau and Dave Filoni.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 11:57 PM, TexasEd said:

Just watched and replying before I read y'all's posts

1.  Best Episode yet
  2. Mando is trying to talk himself into giving Grogu up for adoption in the beginning was a foreshadow that he was too invested to let it go.
  3. What was Grogu doing while meditating?  It reminded me of Luke in TROS.  Was he doing a Dr Xavier/Cerebro thing? If successful do we see someone like Luke or another Jedi show up?
  4. Slave One!!!
  5. "I'm a simple man making my way through the galaxy[, like my father before me]." I've heard that before. Will look it up but think Jango said it to ObiWan.
  6. Battle scene and when Boba gets his armor back is a great climax.
  7. Rock rolling down the hill nod to ROTLA
  8. Storm Troopers give up and run.  Accidental take down of both ships :)
  9. Dark Troopers up close are some kind of robotic Iron Man.
  10. Grogu force choking hahaha, but I think Gideon was waiting to see if he would kill them go to dark
  11. Debt, code, this is the way...
  12. Setting up for a rescue mission like ANH

Question:  How did Boba escape the sarlac?

#12 called it (Sort of) one of the same rescuers was there.

The second scene.  Bo Katan asked Mando to reconsider joining her cause to liberate Mandalore.  I think he did, just unwittingly.

Everything you all said about the X-Wing, saber, gloves, mirror of Rogue One.  They were all just a build upon build to the climax.

Loved Mando's music in his scenes.

Open questions for next year:

1. Dr. Pershing being a clone doctor, Boba is a clone, does this play a role in the future?
  2. Telling Grogu he would see him again.  How far off will that be and will we see it?
  3. Will Mando's next arc be freeing Mandalore, I think it is likely.
  4. What do they do with Gideon? Does Cara take him back to New Republic?
  5. Is Gideon's comment about knowing everything a clue to him having powers or was he just watching security cameras? He set it up to face Mando and not Bo Katan to create the friction if he lost.
Edited by TexasEd

I was 7 years old when my mom dropped me and my cousin Scott off at the Elsinore Theater, a single screen theater, in downtown Salem, OR to see a matinee screening of Star Wars.   2+ hours later, we ran out of the theater and told my mom that we "had to see this movie again..... Right now!!!!" Bless her heart,  she pulled out a few dollar bills and sent us back in to see it again.

4 years ago, with Rogue One I had a similar experience with the Macanudo-ettes.   We saw that movie together and they wanted to see it again right then and right now.  The difference was, Rogue One was sold out for the next showing.

I watched S2E8 tonight and when it ended I has hollering all over the house that the better get caught up on S2 PRONTO!!!!!!!

THAT WAS AWESOME 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2