The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

13 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

That’s the scientist that was working on cloning and wanted Grogu to experiment on. He worked for Gideon. 

Sarcastic Bill Burr GIF by Desus & Mero

My point was that there wasn’t an obvious connection between the different parts of this episode, thus it felt like a strange episode overall.  I mean yeah, a bunch of tie fighters show up out of nowhere and then a former Imperial stooge gets his brain fried.  Strange things are afoot, but it was still a weird choice to structure the episode this way.  Didn’t hate it.  Just thought it was weird.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Who was the chick doe. She kinda sexy. Not sure why. I might be horny. 

but I’ve seen her before somewhere. Was it this show too ?

43 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Sarcastic Bill Burr GIF by Desus & Mero

It’s not always about you. 

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

After last week's episode, this one kind of fell flat.  Was this some reshoot filler to cover for the episode material they missed due to stuffing Mando into the Boba Fett series?

I assumed so. Or they spliced it from a diff episode. 

10 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

I was still trying to figure out how/why 15 tie fighters came outta no where. 

My guess: the return of Thrawn. They launched from his SD (Chimera) which has made its way back to the main part of the galaxy from the Unknown regions. 

It's going to set him up to be the main antagonist in the Ashoka series, in which Ashoka and Sabine will be searching for Ezra while battling Thrawn.

• Drool 1

4 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

My point was that there wasn’t an obvious connection between the different parts of this episode, thus it felt like a strange episode overall.  I mean yeah, a bunch of tie fighters show up out of nowhere and then a former Imperial stooge gets his brain fried.  Strange things are afoot, but it was still a weird choice to structure the episode this way.  Didn’t hate it.  Just thought it was weird.  

I don’t think there was a connection between the two storylines, but they wanted to get that content in about the scientist, what the new republic was doing with imperial officers, and that Gideon and other power centers were still working in the shadows. However, the episode’s title was “The Convert” referring both to the scientist really wanting to help the republic, and Bo Katan being cleansed and accepted by the Mandalorian cult. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

I told someone that whole New Republic stuff felt like cut content from the cancelled Cara Dune show. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I told someone that whole New Republic stuff felt like cut content from the cancelled Cara Dune show. 

Interesting theory. 

I too was wondering if they had to cut up episodes and find some new content because of BOBF.   If they already had some stuff in the can, it would make sense that they shoehorn it in like this. 

That felt more like an Andor episode than Mandalorian. At least the scientist and double agent part. I do wince that we're really getting a lot of service to make the First Order and Palpatine story less of the shitfest it became in the Sequel Trilogy. 

On 3/16/2023 at 1:10 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

My guess: the return of Thrawn. They launched from his SD (Chimera) which has made its way back to the main part of the galaxy from the Unknown regions. 

It's going to set him up to be the main antagonist in the Ashoka series, in which Ashoka and Sabine will be searching for Ezra while battling Thrawn.

Only to find that Ezra has turned to the dark side and keeps Thrawn chained up just to torture him and made everyone else on the Chimera his bitch.     

5 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

I mean, He's not wrong. Andor aside (it was great), and the first two seasons of the Mandalorian (decent/good), Star Wars is going on 11 years of mediocrity.

The last season of Clone Wars was far from mediocre.  Bad Batch has some excellent episodes as well.   Mando was always a Space Western Adventure (Magnum PI) show, with an overarching quest/story slow reveal and a series of side quests to fill in the episodes.    Andor was movie-esque, and if someone missed that, that is their own fault.   Obi Wan series was OK, the story wasn't great, the antagonist wasn't great, but Hayden/Ewan's return to the characters and their battles were worth the price of admission.   

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I think it's fashionable to think everything is awful now. MCU is awful now, Star Wars is awful now even though we just had the best Star Wars content since Rogue One. Got to drive clicks and being negative is a lot easier to keep the clicks going.  If it's so awful and mediocre, why keep watching when there's all this great television out there to watch?

I mean... shitting on Star Wars has been part and parcel to the Internet since its inception.

And I've always gotten a kick out of the completely binary reactions fans seem to have online about Star Wars (which has translated to everything at this point)... everything is either AMAZING! or SUCKS!

Mando was AMAZING and now it apparently SUCKS.

Boba Fett SUCKED; Obi-wan SUCKED.... Andor was AMAZING but the second they do something that doesn't line up 100% with Fanboy expectations -- mark my words -- it will also SUCK.

Star Wars fans online are just exhausting AF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I mean... shitting on Star Wars has been part and parcel to the Internet since its inception.

And I've always gotten a kick out of the completely binary reactions fans seem to have online about Star Wars (which has translated to everything at this point)... everything is either AMAZING! or SUCKS!

Mando was AMAZING and now it apparently SUCKS.

Boba Fett SUCKED; Obi-wan SUCKED.... Andor was AMAZING but the second they do something that doesn't line up 100% with Fanboy expectations -- mark my words -- it will also SUCK.

Star Wars fans online are just exhausting AF

Yeah there is a bit of never letting something breathe with Star Wars fans online. Seemed to be the exception with Andor but I remember seeing some saying it was going too slow. Every episode has to be a banger that completely blows you away or it's "filler". I think where some also get lost is not realizing he's weaving an interconnected story. I said this back when Book of Boba had the Mando portions. It reminded me of one off or two episode arcs from Rebels or Clone Wars. This is all building towards a larger narrative which will culminate in the Ahsoka series with Thrawn and all the characters we've met along the way who band together to deal with the looming threat since the New Republic is asleep at the wheel. And then Filoni has to deal with all the dumb narratives that JJ Abrams concocted. Just leave the Palpatine stuff as the dumb storyline it is that no one wanted. It doesn't need to be further fleshed out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m not going to give someone the time of day if their entire opinion revolves around how feminism had ruined Star Wars. It’s like the franchise isn’t allowed to have female leads anymore. I mean how dare SW make a show centered around female sith. He also talks about fan service and later getting story’s no one asked for, which speaks to what others have said above; if the fanboys don’t get the story they want then it’s automatically shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm interested in the Acolyte because it's set in the High Republic era and deals with the Sith. That's some new territory that film and TV Star Wars hasn't dived into yet. Plus it's written by the creator of Russian Doll which was really good. Skelton Crew could suck because it's kids but could also be good if it's a Star Wars version of Goonies or Stranger Things. Jude Law is pretty serviceable in most of the stuff he does. I want Star Wars to grow out of and honestly away from the Skywalker legacy. There's so much else they could focus on and I hope they stop getting lost in the need to keep giving fan service. Take some risks, like Andor. That's why I didn't mind the last episode. 

50 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Star Wars over the decades: “if you think our current shit sucks, just wait ten years and the new shit will make this shit look great!”

We can only wait for Episodes 10-12 to make The Last Jedi look like the Star Wars equivalent of The Godfather. 

Sure, that's the typical fanboy reaction. Now that we have almost 50 years of Star Wars, the pattern is abundantly clear:

Fanboys adore and will look past the flaws of the movies they saw when they were kids and then absolutely brutalize and pick to death any new Star Wars content they see as adults.

You've seen this with the prequel trilogy... the OG Fanboys hated them ("George Lucas ruined my childhood...blah, blah, blah...) but all of the little millennial kids who were watching them at the same age that the OG Fanboys were watching the OT loved them.... and now those kids are grown up and writing stuff and posting YouTube videos about why the prequels were actually great... and oh guess what they hate? The sequel trilogy! 

But guess what will happen about 10ish years from now? All of those little kids who grew up watching the sequel trilogy will be writing think pieces and posting TikToks (or whatever the fuck is the thing then) about how the sequel trilogy is actually brilliant and on and on it will go.

• Hook 'Em 3

My 10 year-old loves Mandalorian, loved Obi-Wan, like Book of Boba Fett.  He didn't hate the prequels, in fact he likes the prequels, was ambivalent about the sequels (didn't like Han dying or Luke being a recluse).

I loved Andor.

It's almost like there are multiple audiences Disney is shooting for. 

The sequels were a universal shitfest because of poor writing/coordination, and that is 100% Kathleen Kennedy's fault, for not having an overall story plotted out for all three and having multiple directors, who had different visions, including one who just wanted to remake the original trilogy.   The sequels made me look back at the prequels and say "wow, they weren't that bad and were actually coherent".

• Hook 'Em 5

I think it's fashionable to think everything is awful now. MCU is awful now, Star Wars is awful now even though we just had the best Star Wars content since Rogue One. Got to drive clicks and being negative is a lot easier to keep the clicks going.  If it's so awful and mediocre, why keep watching when there's all this great television out there to watch?

Well for that reviewer specifically he doesn’t think everything is awful. He gives credit where credit is due. I find him entertaining. He has good reviews of Puss in Boots, The Whale, The Last of Us, M3gan, Prey, Andor, and more.
  • Hook 'Em 2

They should just open source the whole Star Wars universe and let some indie filmmakers have at it. Claim a rev share of the streaming rights or merchandising or whatever. Let the next Tarantino or Villeneuve etc do something truly interesting. Who cares about “canon”.

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Well for that reviewer specifically he doesn’t think everything is awful. He gives credit where credit is due. I find him entertaining. He has good reviews of Puss in Boots, The Whale, The Last of Us, M3gan, Prey, Andor, and more.

His Prey preview from the trailer to his review of the movie when it came out was quite a turn-a-round.

• Like 1

I’ll buy the Pershing segment was an episode of Rangers. Kind of a shitty end for an interesting character/actor. But hey at least we got to see it instead of Disney archiving it. 

Mando dogfight scenes continue to be bad ass. Bo as a member of Death Watch is interesting. Coruscant looked beautiful. I don’t know what people are complaining about. 

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Yeah but if we’re talking specifically SW, he can give a good review for Andor but in his next video for SW it’s about how the franchise is dead. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Levi said:

Yeah but if we’re talking specifically SW, he can give a good review for Andor but in his next video for SW it’s about how the franchise is dead. 

He deservedly praised Andor, but it didn't bring the viewers unfortunately. As a "profitable" property, it was lacking. I definitely enjoyed it though.

17 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

11 years? I guess you never watched Rebels or Clone Wars? Yeah, there's a lot of filler in Clone Wars, but the good stuff is very good. And the final four episodes strung together are as strong as or stronger than Andor, IMO.

The majority of Clone wars (seasons 1-6) were pre-Disney. I haven't watched Rebels, though I've heard kids like it.

5 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Rebels is excellent. I ranked it above Clone Wars until the final act of Clone Wars came out. It's much tighter and doesn't really have much filler in it. You just have to get over the cheap looking animation and stick with it while they set the stage.

I always preferred Rebels over Clone Wars just because of the "OT" feel it had from the get-go.

But Clone Wars definitely got way darker than Rebels and damn that finale was so freaking good.

But Rebels also has a handful of some of the all-time best Star Wars moments:

• The reveal of Kanan as a Jedi
  • The Ashoka-Vader duel
  • Mon Mothma's speech and the birth of the Rebel Alliance
  • Kanan's sacrifice
  • The final Obi-Wan/Maul confrontation

• Hook 'Em 1