The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’m not going to watch the BoBF stuff, so can someone explain how Grogu ended up back with the Mandalorian? Unless he is supposed to Grogu somewhere, it seems kind of stupid to have him there.

Mando just went to visit him and Grogu told Luke to peace out. That was that. It was maybe 5 minutes long total.  They then went to try to save the BOBF.  The first BOBF episode with Mando was undoubtedly the first episode of this season. The color grading and direction was completely different. Boba Fett wasn't even in the episode except for maybe 10 seconds at the end.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Mando just went to visit him and Grogu told Luke to peace out. That was that. It was maybe 5 minutes long total.  They then went to try to save the BOBF.  The first BOBF episode with Mando was undoubtedly the first episode of this season. The color grading and direction was completely different. Boba Fett wasn't even in the episode except for maybe 10 seconds at the end.  

The Mando and Grogu stuff were spread over 3 episodes of BOBF. I just rewatched it with my kid who opted out of Boba but was confused how Grogu was back with Mando. We sped through the Boba parts and just watched the Grogu stuff. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’m not going to watch the BoBF stuff, so can someone explain how Grogu ended up back with the Mandalorian? Unless he is supposed to Grogu somewhere, it seems kind of stupid to have him there.

Spoiler

Mando is back to his solo life of bounty hunting. He visits the armorer lady and she forged a beskar chain mail vest for Grogu. He tells them about Bo Katan and that he has the dark saber. The giant size guy who is always with the Armorer fights him to claim the saber but Mando wins. Mando confesses to the armorer that he removed his helmet and she tells him the only redemption is go bathe in the baths below Mandalore (that may have been destroyed by the Empire).

Mando gets paged by Fennec Shand to come to Tatooine because Boba needs backup against the Pikes. Mando drops in and agrees to help, but says wants to go visit Grogu first. The crazy lady that runs the garages on Tatooine converts an old Naboo star fighter (like kid Anakin flew in Episode I) into a new ship for Mando (and converts the droid slot to a mini pod for Grogu).

Mando receives coordinates from R2D2 to the planet where Luke is building his new Jedi training facility. With Luke’s help, Grogu is remembering his old Jedi training (and has an Order 66 flashback). Ahsoka Tano is there and tells Mando if Grogu sees him, it can ruin his training. Mando leaves the beskar chain mail with Ahsoka. Luke and Grogu both sense Mando was there. Later, Luke gives Grogu a choice: Yoda’s lightsaber and continue training, or the chain mail and return to Mando.

In the final episode, there is a OK Corral style showdown on Tatooine, including a rancor on a rampage. At the end, Grogu shows up to help. The “good guys” win and Mando and Grogu leave in the Naboo fighter ship.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Yes, my daughter and I both started elbowing each other in excitement.

To which my wife asked why they were shown.

I said it’s so everyone who doesn’t know what they are will go google them or get an explanation on a YouTube episode breakdown in preparation for Ashoka show.

I joked with my daughter “should we rewind and look in slow motion to see if the Chimera is in tow behind them?!?”

• Hook 'Em 2

Gonna put this in spoilers since the show only came out yesterday, but had a question for the group:

Spoiler

What do y'all think about bringing IG-11 back?  It was honestly a big eye roll for me; his sacrifice was really cool in Mando Season 1 and so bringing him back would essentially un-do it; but I did like him turning into the Terminator when Mando first tried to bring him back. I was kind of hoping they would leave it at that and be like, "Hmmm without Kuill we just can't bring him back" and leave it alone as kind of a head-fake.  But if Babu and his buddies fully restores him and he's just back? Bad decision there, IMO.

19 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Gonna put this in spoilers since the show only came out yesterday, but had a question for the group:

Hide contents

What do y'all think about bringing IG-11 back?  It was honestly a big eye roll for me; his sacrifice was really cool in Mando Season 1 and so bringing him back would essentially un-do it; but I did like him turning into the Terminator when Mando first tried to bring him back. I was kind of hoping they would leave it at that and be like, "Hmmm without Kuill we just can't bring him back" and leave it alone as kind of a head-fake.  But if Babu and his buddies fully restores him and he's just back? Bad decision there, IMO.

I think we’re in agreement in IG-11. If a robot self destructs waist deep in molten lava, it’s not coming back. 

Current live action Star Wars, please start killing characters off. Battles have casualties. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think we’re in agreement in IG-11. If a robot self destructs waist deep in molten lava, it’s not coming back. 

Current live action Star Wars, please start killing characters off. Battles have casualties. 

No one's ever really gone.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I’m with you. 

5 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Hide contents

Somehow, IG-11 returned.  

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

On 1/16/2023 at 8:49 PM, Js1 said:

Sure hope those lightsabers are few and far between 

Hey buddy, didn’t we all fall in love with Star Wars by rooting for the Jedi and wanting to play light sabers with our friends? By 1983 the only badass Jedi stuff we saw from Luke was pwning Jabba the Hutt’s crew at the palace and on the barge. Since 1983 the only screen time we got of Luke was in TLJ where Rian pussed him into a bitter quitter. Sure we could all use our imaginations to connect dots or read non-canon books, but it’s a lot more entertaining seeing important bits of Luke’s life (or Vader/Anakin or any important characters). The end of Mando S2 finale was awesome. I was a bit confused about Luke’s hardline mentality towards Grogu given his and his father’s histories. I may be in the minority but I’d still like to see more Luke on screen before Mark Hammill keels over, especially if it’s Luke vs. some of the junk in BOBF or the Filoni fluff building episodes in Mando or whatever crap he’s throwing out in this new season of Bad Batch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

When the pirates were mentioned, I was hoping we were getting a live action Hondo. 

I'd bet money that he's coming.

Nearly all of the most popular Filoni characters from Clone Wars/Rebels have either already been seen in live action or are known to be coming:

• Ashoka - already seen in live action
  • Cad Bane - already seen in live action
  • Phoenix crew - we know Sabine is coming for sure; likely Ezra too with the Thrawn storyline; Hera and Zeb also maybe?

Hondo is almost certainly going to join that group in live action at some point. Would bet money on Rex showing up also.

Edited by oSuJeff97

34 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

When the pirates were mentioned, I was hoping we were getting a live action Hondo. 

I'm mildly surprised he wasn't the captain on the pirate ship. I have mixed feelings on seeing him in live action. 

Let's be honest, Hondo is a true cartoon character. Like a villain on Scooby Doo. Those darn, meddling Jedi/rebels keep foiling his master plan! I don't think he's heavy enough to be a Mando big bad. 

Maybe Mando will take a job from Hondo. That would be cool. 

On 3/1/2023 at 9:33 PM, Surly Bevo said:

Andor set a pretty high bar so will readjust down a bit and it will be all good.

On 3/2/2023 at 5:23 AM, Whitewater Horn said:

Maybe after experiencing the higher tier writing and acting of Andor, 

100%. Andor raised the bar very high; told myself halfway through to stop comparing it to Andor and just enjoy.

• Hook 'Em 1

Solid first episode with nothing too impactful happening…Space whales! I still don’t understand Bo’s contradictive opinions on Mandos stupid cult traditions and her unwillingness to just take the dark saber. 

Also, I understand the Mandalorian armor is almost impossible to be practical in the real world but if you’re going to get a bunch of them running on sand and in water, make sure they at least look somewhat comfortable. 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm mildly surprised he wasn't the captain on the pirate ship. I have mixed feelings on seeing him in live action. 

Let's be honest, Hondo is a true cartoon character. Like a villain on Scooby Doo. Those darn, meddling Jedi/rebels keep foiling his master plan! I don't think he's heavy enough to be a Mando big bad. 

Maybe Mando will take a job from Hondo. That would be cool. 

Filoni and Faveru understand the difference between animation and live action and have even talked about it in interviews. Filoni talks about how animation is a "heightened version" of "reality" in the SW universes which is why you see the characters (especially Jedi) doing things in the animated series that they wouldn't do in live action. 

So yeah, Hondo can come off a little "cartoony" in Clone Wars, but I'm betting they would dial that back and still make him a cool character in live action. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Right. Mando is laser swords, flying jetpack guys, Clone Wars level dialogue and attempts at humor, giant monsters, and weekly quests. Sure, there's a larger overarching narrative but it's not aiming to be what Andor was. 

100%. 

I try to judge shows based on what they are trying to accomplish.

Mando is a rousing "adventure of the week" series with inspiration from westerns, samuri and 80s prime time action series.

Andor is a cerebral, dialog driven series with inspiration from paranoid 1970s spy movies and Cold War films.

Both are excellent at what they are trying to accomplish.

• Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Right. Mando is laser swords, flying jetpack guys, Clone Wars level dialogue and attempts at humor, giant monsters, and weekly quests. Sure, there's a larger overarching narrative but it's not aiming to be what Andor was. 

Thank you. Don't know why I'm being so uppity.  I've seen Cocaine Bear twice. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

So yeah, Hondo can come off a little "cartoony" in Clone Wars, but I'm betting they would dial that back and still make him a cool character in live action. 

I hope they do better than the animatronic version in Smuggler's Run.  He just looks like Space Jack Sparrow there.

57 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

100%. 

I try to judge shows based on what they are trying to accomplish.

Mando is a rousing "adventure of the week" series with inspiration from westerns, samuri and 80s prime time action series.

Andor is a cerebral, dialog driven series with inspiration from paranoid 1970s spy movies and Cold War films.

Both are excellent at what they are trying to accomplish.

Nailed it. 

You're in Tulsa, right?  We should hang out and watch Star Wars.  I don't have any model trains, but I do have a freezer full of imitation crab meat.

• Haha 4

shocked holy shit GIF

Wow. 

Spoiler

Thought Bo-Katan would turn on him to reclaim the Darksaber (she still might), and she clearly wields it freely, whereas Din labors still. 

On 3/7/2023 at 3:37 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Is it me or was Bo Katan a lot hotter than in previous seasons?

Maybe. But you still would, and give her the best 10 seconds of her life. Like we all would. 

16 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Oh shyt. Was that the creature from symbol ?

Yes.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1