Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Ldogg53

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

@Buzzrock Do not skip season 1.  The show is good from the start, even without Devito.  You'll be doing yourself a disservice.

Season 1 they're still kind of finding their groove, but the chemistry is good from the start and the consistency is better than the majority of the last 4 or 5 seasons where many episodes are very hit or miss. It's not like it's a bad show just because Devito isn't there yet.  The underage drinking one where they all go to prom is a classic, and like AI_4_ISU said, you'll miss a lot of world building with the characters' origins.

I thought the first two episodes were pretty damn funny, but the underage drinking one absolutely floored me.

That's a great groundwork of the group dynamic, the first introduction to how profoundly fucked their sense of morality is, and just an all around great example of their comedy style.  When Charlie is explaining the inner dynamics of this group of HS kids to the rest of the gang, I fucking lost it.  It's the first you see of Dee being a complete fucking degenerate too.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

I'll leave it to you scholars of the show, but if you didn't watch it sequentially, wouldn't you miss Cricket's metamorphosis?  

You would.  It's one of the great sidebars in the series.  All the long term tertiary characters have some hilarious arcs (as well the arcs of the main characters).  Artemis, the Ponderosas, Mac's parents, Charlie's mom, Ben the Soldier, the McPoyle clan, all develop in hilarious directions.

In that regard, there's a level of continuity.  Past incidents, behaviors, etc are frequently referenced.  If you jump into a newer episode, there are things that are independently funny, but a lot of the best jokes are based on years (decades) of character development.

Speaking of continuity of tertiary characters, in season 13 in the Boggs reboot Dee doesn't recognize the waiter (who is now a flight attendant). He explains how he knows the Sunny crew from the restaurant and that he also served them at the Super Bowl. 

The Super Bowl episode aired later in the season so that bit of dialogue was an error as it technically had not happened yet.

Agree with all who say to watch chronologically and not skip S1. It's a quick 7 episodes, and as others have mentioned, establishes a number of long running threads with specific episode call-backs in later seasons. Not to mention that Underage Drinking is arguably a Top 10 episode in the canon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Some of the funniest shitfaced acting of all time

It's impressive when you listen to the podcast and find out that they film completely sober, other than a handful of scenes where it was the last few shots of the season and they had busted out a bottle to celebrate.

I'd liken watching it out of order to watching Seinfeld out of order. Once you've seen it through at least once, order makes no difference any longer, but on the first time through, you're definitely going to miss some of the humor.

Unless it's unusually burdensome somehow, I would recommend starting at S1E1 and going in order. 

• Like 1

I started the series over the other day at S1E1.  I've only seen 2 or 3 episodes, but you would be crazy to skip S1.  Hell, it's worth it just to see Dennis do his dip and spin move when taking the money from the gay guys who are all crushing on him in The Gang Gets Racist.  On their podcast, he said he only did that once and he only did it to make the other guys laugh.  And then Rob put that take in the show.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, definitely watch season 1.  If you're going to skip a season, skip season 15 that's airing right now.  It's kind of shit so far.

Never thought I'd say this, but Dee's parts are the only ones I'm genuinely laughing at in these episodes.

Edited by Tom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yeah, definitely watch season 1.  If you're going to skip a season, skip season 15 that's airing right now.  It's kind of shit so far.

Never thought I'd say this, but Dee's parts are the only ones I'm genuinely laughing at in these episodes.

Same.  

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

with all the hype heading into this season about the gang going to Ireland, i was expecting that had actually gone to Ireland. ive been surprised to see them apparently just filming in regular old LA studios while using random Irish B roll between scenes.

Covid might have fucked with filming overseas.

On 12/15/2021 at 2:39 PM, Go Pokes said:

I started the series over the other day at S1E1.  I've only seen 2 or 3 episodes, but you would be crazy to skip S1.  Hell, it's worth it just to see Dennis do his dip and spin move when taking the money from the gay guys who are all crushing on him in The Gang Gets Racist.  On their podcast, he said he only did that once and he only did it to make the other guys laugh.  And then Rob put that take in the show.   

I've heard a lot of people having trouble getting started with this show because the first few seasons aren't in HD. 

with all the hype heading into this season about the gang going to Ireland, i was expecting that had actually gone to Ireland. ive been surprised to see them apparently just filming in regular old LA studios while using random Irish B roll between scenes.

I was in Ireland for work this summer and our producer said they were in Ireland filming.

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

When Dennis couldn’t smell the decomposed cat I thought we were finally going to get into a “Dennis is actually a serial killer” plot (he’s used to the smell). I still feel like they’re hinting that direction but we’ll see.

The line about him knowing how to cover up blunt force trauma when he fixed Dee's forehead lump is definitely a lean into the serial killer vibe.

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

When Dennis couldn’t smell the decomposed cat I thought we were finally going to get into a “Dennis is actually a serial killer” plot (he’s used to the smell). I still feel like they’re hinting that direction but we’ll see.

1 hour ago, Grade of D as in David said:

The line about him knowing how to cover up blunt force trauma when he fixed Dee's forehead lump is definitely a lean into the serial killer vibe.

It'll be disappointing if they never really lean into that beyond the running gag.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I think they’re building up to something like that. There’s his behavior in the castle, there’s that, and even the reveal that he has COVID came from his whole thing of looking for a perfect red haired subject IMEANWOMAN to test his hypothesis on why their hair smells different.

On 12/17/2021 at 11:27 PM, Celery Man said:

I think they’re building up to something like that. There’s his behavior in the castle, there’s that, and even the reveal that he has COVID came from his whole thing of looking for a perfect red haired subject IMEANWOMAN to test his hypothesis on why their hair smells different.

I don't think there is ever meant to be a final punch line, he's just going to continue through life with an undefined psychopathy (borderline personality disorder seems to be the best fit per the "skin luggage" scene). It's part of what makes his character hilarious.  

I've probably seen all the episodes now but I definitely watched them all out of order. Tried several times early to get into it and it just didn't grab me. Now I think it's hilarious.

The new season is fine enough though I'm behind. Just watched the Monkey Beer episode and thought it was terrific. Now the gang is in Ireland.