The Hot Deals Thread

ASUS TM-AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit Router (Refurbished) $48 + Free Shipping

These can easily be flashed into their original config, the RT-AC68U, which runs about $140. Then you can flash them with ASUS AiMESH, giving you a whole house Mesh system for under $100.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11414547-starts-2-30-pm-est-or-sooner-asus-tm-ac1900-dual-band-gigabit-router-refurbished-48-free?v=1&src=pdw

41oKKCI4JHL.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

ASUS TM-AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit Router (Refurbished) $48 + Free Shipping

These can easily be flashed into their original config, the RT-AC68U, which runs about $140. Then you can flash them with ASUS AiMESH, giving you a whole house Mesh system for under $100.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11414547-starts-2-30-pm-est-or-sooner-asus-tm-ac1900-dual-band-gigabit-router-refurbished-48-free?v=1&src=pdw

41oKKCI4JHL.jpg

Thanks rage. Been wanting to do a mesh system, so bought two of these to give it a go.

Actually, it looks like Asus may have blacklisted this device per some comments on slick deals

Beware that Asus has blacklisted the converted TM-AC1900s with the latest AiMesh firmware released today. So this Amazon seller is just dumping remaining inventory for an orphaned product. Merlin f/w will probably follow-suit.

When the current AiMesh (version 3.0.0.4.384.20624) is installed on one of these, it re-flashes the CFE and shuts-off AiMesh. Read Less

I bought an ASUS router on a black Friday deal on Amazon.  I received it but never opened it because it wasn't exactly what I wanted.  It was NIB and never opened.  I tried to return it to Amazon and they said to keep it, donate it, or throw it away.  I have no idea what that was all about.

27 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

That's just the new firmware. If you read the links, there are warnings to absolutely NOT flash the new firmware.

Yeah I went down the wormhole. Think I’m going to wait and see, seems Aimesh is still pretty beta-y. 

I looked at that router a while back. I wanted my main router to hard-wire into my AV components, so having the ethernet ports was fairly important compared to something like Google Wi-fi. The weird thing about the Asus router is the ethernet ports are on the bottom of it. Not sure how that is supposed to work out.

1 minute ago, wild_turkey said:

I looked at that router a while back. I wanted my main router to hard-wire into my AV components, so having the ethernet ports was fairly important compared to something like Google Wi-fi. The weird thing about the Asus router is the ethernet ports are on the bottom of it. Not sure how that is supposed to work out.

How is that weird? Most routers have the ports at the bottom.

44 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

How is that weird? Most routers have the ports at the bottom.

I planned to set it flat on a shelf. Wouldn't that mean the ports face directly down into the shelf? Maybe I'm just not visualizing it correctly.

I ended up going with a Linksys AC1750 that has ports coming out of the back when it is laying flat.

10 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I planned to set it flat on a shelf. Wouldn't that mean the ports face directly down into the shelf? Maybe I'm just not visualizing it correctly.

I ended up going with a Linksys AC1750 that has ports coming out of the back when it is laying flat.

Why would you want to lay it down flat? It has 3 antennas that are meant to stick up in the air. Laying pretty much any router flat reduces the interior/exterior antenna range.

But if you really need a "flat" router, this isn't the one for you.

Edited by rage-a-holic

I bought one of those same refurbished routers a little over a year ago planning to do all the cool flashing and make it great - plugged it in, 45 seconds later heard a nice sizzle, and let out the magic smoke. The refurb quality may not be the greatest. That said, for $50, it's worth trying your luck.

Sam

Walmart has the Ozark Trail 20 Can Leaktight Cooler on sale for $24. Select free store pickup, otherwise shipping is free on orders $35 or more.

I have one of these Yeti knockoffs and it's pretty solid. Paid $30 on clearance so this is a damn good deal.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11422363-ozark-trail-20-can-leaktight-cooler-walmart?src=SiteSearch

857f1425-8a2c-409f-ad93-94e2165efb6c_2.f

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

15% off on ebay

https://deals.kinja.com/its-back-save-15-on-nearly-anything-you-can-find-on-e-1825773422

Promo code PMAY4TH will take 15% off nearly any $50+ eBay order (gift cards, real estate, and actual money are excluded, sadly), with a generous $100 savings cap (it’s usually $50). That includes everything from video games from Best Buy’s eBay outlet, to Nintendo Switch consoles (they’re marked up, but still come out to $276 with the code, also available in Neon), to Dyson vacuums, to Star Wars LEGOs, to Xbox Live memberships, to that rare vintage comic book that you’ve been eyeing.

There are also a bunch of Star Wars goods marked down to celebrate May the Fourth, and this code will work on them as well.

EBay 15% off everything ($50 off max) coupon “PMEMDAY”
This code runs from today (May 21) through Friday, May 25 at 11:59PM Pacific.

Important to note that this is probably stackable on items already being discounted or on sale. So you might be able to put together a screaming deal. (Insert mom insult here)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So, when do retailers start offering up huge discounts? Ain't nobody buying shit these days except for what Amazon, Walmart, and HEB sell.

I was a broke law student when the last big recession started and didn't have any money to spend anyways, so is that a thing that happens when the economy hits the skids?

Edited by Storm the Field

57 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Anyone know of a good iPhone deal. Need to get the kid one. Will also be switching 3 lines to a new service (currently Goole fi)

About a month ago, my wife upgraded her AT&T iPhone 6s+ for a Xs.  With a trade-in and installment plan the $900 phone ended up being about $300.  AT&T is always having deals for adding lines - BOGO and such.

• Like 1

So we planned to replace an SUV next year at this time but figured we should look around and see who was desperate. They aren’t nearly as desperate as I anticipated.

Will check back in a month or two.

I think interest rates are really attractive right now. I’m in the same boat. Maybe once unemployment hits harder the deals will be better. For now the ancient BMW gets me to work.

About a month ago, my wife upgraded her AT&T iPhone 6s+ for a Xs.  With a trade-in and installment plan the $900 phone ended up being about $300.  AT&T is always having deals for adding lines - BOGO and such.
Did att with a couple of iPhones and a pixel. Pretty good deal to switch as much as I despise att.
  • Like 1

So we planned to replace an SUV next year at this time but figured we should look around and see who was desperate. They aren’t nearly as desperate as I anticipated.

All you hear about is how car dealerships are seeing a 50% or more drop in sales. Yet they aren't offering anything special. F them. They can ride the ship all the way down.
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Updawg said:
18 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Did att with a couple of iPhones and a pixel. Pretty good deal to switch as much as I despise att.

Since my first cell phone in the mid-90s, I have used AT&T.  I'm done adding lines, so I don't get the best phone deals, but my wife's new iPhone was a decent deal.  

1 hour ago, ousuxndallas said:
20 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

All you hear about is how car dealerships are seeing a 50% or more drop in sales. Yet they aren't offering anything special. F them. They can ride the ship all the way down.

Exactly. The 0% is a good start but they need to start lowering prices before I'll get ready to do anything.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Updawg said:

Anyone know of a good iPhone deal. Need to get the kid one. Will also be switching 3 lines to a new service (currently Goole fi)

best deals on new phones are to be had when switching carriers. carriers will pay to "acquire" customers. but they hide $10-20/month "access" fees to help recoup the cost of almost giving away the phone. still a good deal if you want the latest and greatest.

if not, buy pre-owned from swappa or amazon/ebay. many shops which sell pre-owned phones acquire (buy) those phones from carriers from people trading in their old phones for new phones. it's hit or miss but mostly good deals to be had. swappa is great for buying from people and smaller shops. i've purchased 6 or 7 phones from swappa and all were great.