Reports saying Mike Stoops has been let go

Hornius Emeritus

2 hours ago, Shmitty said:

Mouthing off?  Who the hell do you think you are and you think you own/run this place?  Fuck you, I'll keep negging you every chance I get.  Don't bully others and I won't have to stand up to you and that other posters bullshit.  

I had actually decided to let it die and had you on ignore until you started this latest round of negs.  

You do have an extraneous "m" in your user name.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I had actually decided to let it die and had you on ignore until you started this latest round of negs.  

atleast I don't wear a bag over my face to hide the extra chromosome.  

Edited by Shmitty
  • Fuck You 2

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I call bullshit, if you had decided to "let it die," then you wouldn't have kept negging me for no reason.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

This is a thread about our rival’s firing its DC, a thread on a Texas website. I think whatever point you wanted to interject can be considered made. There is a DM function.

2 hours ago, Shmitty said:

Being well liked doesn't give someone the right to be a douchebag.  

1 hour ago, Shmitty said:

atleast I don't wear a bag over my face to hide the extra chromosome.  

I call bullshit, if you had decided to "let it die," then you wouldn't have kept negging me for no reason.  

19 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

This is a thread about our rival’s firing its DC, a thread on a Texas website. I think whatever point you wanted to interject can be considered made. There is a DM function.

You might want to direct that at him then.  

• Fuck You 3

8 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Striper, stripper.  Tomayto, tomahto.

My high school football position coach, who also taught English, let me in on an easy way to remember the difference between spelling striper and stripper: “you’ve gotta have two to take it off.”

He took a time out therefore it was NOT painfully obvious to the players. Keep trying though... obviously your stance on this is very important to you that you have to keep defending it. 
What ever you say mr Dumb Ass Dipshit nincompoop doodyhead ingnorant twatwaffle goatfelching twit.

• Haha 1

Earlier interview with Dusty on radio (prior to Jim Traber radio interview)
http://www.normantranscript.com/oklahoma/full-transcript-everything-former-oklahoma-defensive-coordinator-mike-stoops-said/article_71d85528-ccb8-11e8-969f-278359d699c6.html

Former Oklahoma defensive coordinator, who was fired Monday, spoke to former OU defensive lineman turned local radio personality Dusty Dvoracek on the Sports Animal on Wednesday. 
A calm, relaxed Stoops was fairly candid and addressed a number of rumors surrounding his dismissal. 
Here is the complete transcript: 
Dusty Dvoracek: Mike, in your estimation, what happened? What led to what happened on Sunday?
Mike Stoops: "Well, I think everything kind of came to a head Saturday. Our inability to play a level of football that Oklahoma should expect. And ultimately that fell on me. That was tremendously hard. I have so much respect for this program, all the players that have played in it, for Lincoln, the administration and just didn't get it done. That hurt greatly, and I think it just came to a head Saturday in a lot of different ways for a lot of different reasons, Dusty. That's why we're here where we are today, and that's unfortunate." 
DD: Is it as simple as the Big 12 offenses, the inability to get the players you need, that kids have changed? Can you put your finger on why you weren’t able to replicate the success you had the first time?
MS: “Well, that's a great question. There's so many factors that go into all of that. It's your staff, it's your players, it's the league we're in. There's just so many different factors that lead to all of that and just for whatever reason we just haven't been able to find consistency and just too many bad games throughout the course of this second stint. I wish I could put my finger on it. There's a lot of different elements that go into each particular year. Certainly coaching is a big element. Players is another element to that. Continuity within all that. Youth. There's a lot of different factors that go into each particular year, but our lack of consistency was concerning to me. It's been very uncomfortable for me the last few years. I think the last time we led the conference was the year we went to the Orange Bowl, and I think that was the last time we had a top-25 defense in this league. And then the last few were just kind of hanging on for a lot of reasons. And I think those came to fruition on Saturday: our inability to tackle, our inability to cover receivers consistently, to pressure the quarterback at all levels of our defense. Just our lack of consistency, playmaking ability across the board leads to all that as you know as a great defensive player." 
DD: The last couple years what’s it been like personally, emotionally and does it in any way feel like the pressure has been alleviated?
MS: “Oh, yeah, some of that. Disappointment in myself probably is probably the No. 1 thing that I couldn't get our program back to that level consistently is what probably hurts the most. You know you know defense. Getting players to buy in consistently to play at a level that I'm used to players playing at is probably the most disappointing part of it all to me. And certainly Lincoln has been incredible. He gave me the opportunity to correct it. Players aren't always going to like you, Dusty. You know that. But they've gotta respect what it takes to play every time they step on the field when you put on an Oklahoma uniform. We just couldn't get that consistent effort from different parts of our team consistently enough, and that's probably the thing disappointed about because I know how many great defensive players that have come through this place. I coached a lot of them. So many of them through that era. It takes a special person to play and get effort like that. I just couldn't get our players to play consistently at that level and it's probably the thing that I'm the most disappointed in. Sure it hurts. Each game, it would be nerve-racking — you ask any defensive coordinator and if they are honest with you about going up against any of these teams — you are kind of sitting on edge, knowing that some of your flaws can be exposed at any time and certainly a lot of ours were exposed. You saw some of it creep in. I thought we got off to a good start early in the year. You saw some of it creep in against Iowa State. Then people started seeing things and people have you on tape and understand your strengths and your weaknesses. It was just too much to overcome ultimately.
DD: You talked about trying to get players to buy in. We would run through a wall for you. Then I read a tweet that was put out last night from one of your former players that I don’t particularly want to read. How did the disconnect happen? Have players changed and maybe you haven’t changed? Is it a different approach you took this second time around?
MS: "The times have changed greatly in the last 10 years. Social media has changed the game in a lot of ways. I think kids are much different now than they were when you were playing and we were together that first time around. Things have changed a great deal. I noticed a little bit more of it when I came back. I really had a great group of secondary guys. You look at Tony Jefferson, Demontre Hurst, Aaron Colvin, Zack Sanchez, those guys, they were the first group that I started to notice that they were a little bit different. They had their own ideas and thoughts and identities. They still played to a very high level when we pushed them to go out there and perform. That's disappointing. I can't answer for every player. There has to be accountability. You have to play for each other at a high level. Everyone is not going to like you and the way you coach and the way you teach. That's obvious. That was the same way back then. But they have to respect your knowledge, the process of going week-to-week, understanding where they have to be, why they have to be there and how they have to do things. I'm a stickler to detail and being precise in everything you do. Maybe that just wears on players. I still believe it's the right way to approach any game. The schemes don't change. The players, you try to put them in the best position to go out and play. I haven't made a tackle or covered a guy in 35 years. I haven't rushed the quarterback. I haven't done that for a long time. You have to try to put your players in the best position you can for success. That's all we've every really tried to do. I'm certainly not perfect. I've made a lot of mistakes trusting certain elements of our team. That's my responsibility. That's probably the biggest mistake I made. That's unfortunate. It leads to where we're at today. You gotta trust people. You gotta trust your coaches to get things to players. I'm one person. But ultimately, I have to demand that everybody plays a certain way, everybody gets their players to buy in and just didn’t get that."
DD: People are insinuating, even on this station, that there was a fight between you and Curtis Bolton at halftime at OU-Texas. Can you shed any light onto that situation?
MS: "Well, that's ludicrous, number one, whoever would report such an erroneous situation and defame me and him is beyond ridiculousness. That hurts as well. For people to say ... there's just so much fake news out there that me just not getting it done, it was the right time to make a move. It's unfortunate, but that's another example of social media, or people in the media who want to sensationalize all these things. I for once know how President Trump feels about fake news. Didn't say one word to Curtis at halftime, didn't even know he left, Dusty. Didn't know until after the game. That's how crazy that is. Lincoln was upset, rightfully so, at our performance and he did most of the talking. Again, that's just 100 percent false. It's unfortunate that people would run with that without even checking with me or the source, that's what's unfortunate. Me and Lincoln have so much respect for one another and I know how tremendously hard this is. After the game, we hugged each other. I told him how sorry I was and we hugged each other, walked out of the locker room, we went and said we would talk on Sunday. We talked Sunday morning for about a half-hour. Talked about some of the issues, what happened, why so-and-so, we left each other, talked about the future, what's gonna be best for our program. We talked about five, six hours later and came to this conclusion. That's exactly what happened. Again, we're all grown men here. We have a lot of respect for each other. I have tremendous respect for this program and what's best for it, and that's what we decided. That's exactly how it happened. If people want to believe that other stuff, that other noise, then that's their business. I would, again, never lie about something as important as that or the integrity of what we are as people. Going down with integrity is the most important part of all this."
DD: And just to clarify, there were reports that the president of the university made Lincoln do this. There were reports that you’d given a letter of resignation on Saturday after the game. I’m guessing those were all just asinine assertations?
MS: "Yeah, can you see me on a computer after the game typing out a letter of resignation? That sounds just like me, doesn't it Dusty? You know me as well as anybody. That's absurd as well. Again, I don't know where people get their news. I don't know why they report such ridiculousness or why we can't handle this like grown me. Me and Lincoln and administration. That's what we ultimately did and did what's best for our program at this time. I'm sorry, but that's how it went down."
DD: What’s next for Mike Stoops?
MS: "That’s another great question, Dusty. I just want to rest, get healthy. It’s been a great strain on all of us, my whole family. I think everybody here. Just want to rest, heal, reflect and see where it takes me. I really don’t know. I would say I’m in the same situation Bob [stoops, his retired brother] is in. I don’t know. I could see myself doing a lot of different things. I could see myself trying to be an understudy to somebody — a Nick Saban, a Kirby Smart, somebody of that magnitude and trying to rethink, relearn, reteach. I could see myself, you know, I don’t know [about] going back into the fire coaching defense right now. I don’t know. I have to see where my gut takes me, whether media, any of that is something I’d enjoy doing. The first thing I’ve got to do is recharge myself, reboot and think this all through. When I left Arizona and got right into this thing it was, I don’t know if I really took enough time to rethink things if that makes sense. I went right into another very high-profile situation that takes a lot out of you. So I don’t know. That’s something I’m going to kind of work through. If I take on another responsibility of this magnitude, I want to make sure I’m right and everything’s right with our staff, it’s the right fit for me, personally, with who I’m coaching with. That’s not to say … Lincoln has been, me and him will always be friends. It was a great three and a half years together. He couldn’t have been kinder to me. His family loved me. So I don’t know. We’ll see."
DD: I’m going to recommend you get the hell out of the Big 12, coach. I don’t think this is a place any defensive coordinator wants to be.
MS: "It’s taken probably five years off my life, that’s for sure. Tremendously well-coached offenses in this league. I couldn’t give these offensive coordinators enough respect. Not sure if everybody sees it like we see it week in and week out. It’s unfortunate. Again, you’ve got to be so spot-on at different levels of your defense to really handle these things consistently. It is. It’s extremely difficult to coach defense in this league."
DD: You’ve got time on your hands now — grow a beard and work on your golf game.
MS: "Yeah, could you see me and Bob with our beards out there golfing?"
DD: Just don’t be fighting with each other.
MS: "No, we don’t have to worry about that anymore. My family’s been tremendously supportive. All of Oklahoma, Dusty. It’s unfortunate. I know how hard it was for Lincoln. Got calls from Joe, President Boren. That means the world to me. They understood how hard and what it meant to me. Just let a lot of people down, that’s probably the hardest part."
DD: Coach, I’m sorry it went down this way, but I have no doubt in my mind that whatever’s next it’s gonna be positive and you’re gonna do a hell of a job.
MS: "Love you guys, too. And love all my players, past and even these present kids. They just don’t know yet. Life’s lessons come in different ways and at different times. A lot of times these kids don’t understand it until they’re out in the real world, understand what you were trying to teach them, the hard lessons of life. That was my greatest reward was players would always come back and say, ‘Now I understand what you were trying to teach me and why you were trying to teach me it that way.’ Sometimes love is tough, but it’s still love. The respect I have for everyone, my players, whether it was Oklahoma, Arizona or Kansas State, my work speaks for itself."
DD: Thanks again, coach.
MS: "Thank you."
Mike Stoops is MrWizard?

19 hours ago, Shmitty said:

Mouthing off?  Who the hell do you think you are and you think you own/run this place?  Fuck you, I'll keep negging you every chance I get.  Don't bully others and I won't have to stand up to you and that other posters bullshit.  

I said it on the other board, and I'll say it here: Shmitty should have dropped the m from his handle for the sake of accuracy. 

And, of course, Beau beat me to it here.  Nice.

Edited by Scheiss Meister
Reasons and shit

39 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I said it on the other board, and I'll say it here: Shmitty should have dropped the m from his handle for the sake of accuracy. 

And, of course, Beau beat me to it here.  Nice.

Reason for edit should have read Reasons and shit(ty).

OU and Mike Stoops (and his stripper wife)sucks all dicks. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I was going to quit again, and you just negged me 17 times.  

Enjoy it, because you're done now.

It's really quite simple; leave me the fuck alone and I won't have to keep negging you.   

Edited by Shmitty
  • Fuck You 1

It's really quite simple; leave me the fuck alone and I won't have to keep negging you.   

1.  I put you on ignore again eight hours ago, you fucking lunatic.  And then I logged on two hours ago, and bloop-bloop-bloop, 17 negs from you.

2.  "I won't have to keep negging you."  That's fucking funny.  You're in the red, so you have no choice in the matter.  Take the loss, pussy.  

3.  Back on ignore for you.  Buh-bye!

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

1.  I put you on ignore again eight hours ago, you fucking lunatic.  And then I logged on two hours ago, and bloop-bloop-bloop, 17 negs from you.

2.  "I won't have to keep negging you."  That's fucking funny.  You're in the red, so you have no choice in the matter.  Take the loss, pussy.  

3.  Back on ignore for you.  Buh-bye!

You're the fucking lunatic.    

• Fuck You 2

On 10/12/2018 at 10:31 AM, field said:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/open-mike/os-sp-ucf-josh-heupel-oklahoma-fired-bob-stoops-20181011-story.html

The morning he was fired as the offensive coordinator at Oklahoma — his beloved alma mater — may have been one of the worst days of Josh Heupel’s life, but one of the best days of his career.

“Thank God it happened!” Heupel said Thursday as he prepared his high-flying, undefeated, 10th-ranked UCF Knights for Saturday’s conference showdown with Memphis. “It’s worked out great for me. If I had stayed there, I wouldn’t be here.”

Then again, if he had stayed at Oklahoma as offensive coordinator, he might be the head coach of the Sooners today. After all, the guy who replaced him — Lincoln Riley — was named the head coach when the great Bob Stoops stepped down before last season.

Earlier this week, Riley finally fired Mike Stoops — Bob’s brother — as the defensive coordinator of the Sooners. If life were fair, Mike Stoops would have been fired three seasons ago instead of Heupel, but blood is thicker than offensive ingenuity.

There was no way Stoops was going to fire his kid brother after a miserable (by Oklahoma standards) 8-5 season ended with an embarrassing 40-6 loss to Clemson right here in Orlando at the 2014 Russell Athletic Bowl. Consequently, Heupel and co-offensive coordinator Jay Norvell were scapegoated after the miserable offensive performance in the bowl game against Clemson — the No. 1-ranked defense in the country.

Bob Stoops obviously has his reasons for making the staff changes he did, but the fact is Oklahoma’s offense was ranked No. 23 in the country that year and the defense was ranked 51st. And although Heupel says he is over the disappointment of getting let go by his alma mater, it should be noted he hasn’t spoken to Bob Stoops – his college coach – since the day he was fired.

Wrote Jenni Carlson, columnist of the Daily Oklahoman, on the day Heupel was let go at OU: “He is the only quarterback to win a national championship under Stoops. Before Heupel, the Sooners were wandering through the quarterback wilderness. … In two years, he changed the program’s — and Stoops’ — fortunes. Heupel became the fair-haired hero, ushering in the passing era, piloting the Sooners’ spread and winning the national title.

“Then as a coach, he developed an unheralded beanpole of a kid from Putnam City North, Sam Bradford, into a Heisman Trophy winner. In those better days, it was widely assumed Heupel would one day take over for Stoops as head coach. Now he’s been ousted by his alma mater.”

When asked now if the firing motivated him to prove Oklahoma wrong and prove himself as a great coordinator, Heupel says he never doubted his ability as an offensive play-caller and quarterbacks coach. However, he says, “it forced me and gave me the ability to reset and decide what do I want to do and what do I want to be about as an offensive coach? What is my philosophy? It allowed me to get back to some of the things I wanted to do.

“In those last two years at Oklahoma, we changed for two reasons. No. 1, because of the philosophy of the head coach and what he wanted to do. And No. 2, because of injuries. We played five quarterbacks in those last two years because of injuries. When you do that, you’re going to change your philosophy to fit what the quarterbacks can do at that point in their development.”

After leaving Oklahoma, Heupel spent one year at Utah State before landing at Missouri under head coach Barry Odom. When he arrived at Mizzou in 2016, he took over a an offense ranked 124th in the country the previous season. In the first year of Heupel’s fast-break, no-huddle offense, the Tigers were ranked 13th in the nation and improved to eighth last season. Not bad for a sub-par SEC program that went 4-8 and 7-6 during Heupel’s two years as coordinator.

By the time Heupel left Missouri, his offense was one of the most explosive in the country. In his final six games as coordinator, the Tigers averaged 51 points per game and did it in the defensive-minded, smash-mouth SEC. Missouri led the SEC in total offense last season by averaging 502 yards per game.

Now, Heupel is in charge of a UCF offense ranked third in the country and averaging slightly more points (48.6) per game than it did during last year’s perfect season.

“I had been under one umbrella my entire coaching career,” Heupel says. “The opportunities I have had to go to other places after Oklahoma either confirmed things or opened my eyes to things I would want to do in my own program. I’m a better coach today because I left Oklahoma.”

With apologies to Rodgers and Hammerstein:

“Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain,

Where the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet,

And where your loss was UCF’s gain.”

Josh Huepel got his ass handed to him by Baylor in a game where Samaje Perine had 4 carries.  He was a horrible OC at OU and should have been fired sooner than he was.  Could not coach running game at all.

On 10/10/2018 at 7:05 PM, Beau Vine said:

Seems like they don't have the talent on D they've had in the past, either.

Secondary looked especially small and not physical compared to previous OU teams.

They haven't had defensive talent going back a number of years.  It's rare anymore that they put a defensive played in the first four rounds of the draft.  Their "stars" are usually late round picks at best.

To the second point, you're right and that goes back years, too.  They had a DB in the Rose Bowl against Georgia who weighed 160 lbs.  Georgia's RB's weighed 220 lbs.

17 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Josh Huepel got his ass handed to him by Baylor in a game where Samaje Perine had 4 carries.  He was a horrible OC at OU and should have been fired sooner than he was.  Could not coach running game at all.

He did call the game of his life when he kicked Saban and Smart’s ass all over the Sugar Bowl with Trevor Knight at the helm. 

On 10/13/2018 at 1:27 AM, MrPhlegm said:
On 10/10/2018 at 5:28 PM, LTtxfan said:
Earlier interview with Dusty on radio (prior to Jim Traber radio interview)
http://www.normantranscript.com/oklahoma/full-transcript-everything-former-oklahoma-defensive-coordinator-mike-stoops-said/article_71d85528-ccb8-11e8-969f-278359d699c6.html

Former Oklahoma defensive coordinator, who was fired Monday, spoke to former OU defensive lineman turned local radio personality Dusty Dvoracek on the Sports Animal on Wednesday. 
A calm, relaxed Stoops was fairly candid and addressed a number of rumors surrounding his dismissal. 
Here is the complete transcript: 
Dusty Dvoracek: Mike, in your estimation, what happened? What led to what happened on Sunday?
Mike Stoops: "Well, I think everything kind of came to a head Saturday. Our inability to play a level of football that Oklahoma should expect. And ultimately that fell on me. That was tremendously hard. I have so much respect for this program, all the players that have played in it, for Lincoln, the administration and just didn't get it done. That hurt greatly, and I think it just came to a head Saturday in a lot of different ways for a lot of different reasons, Dusty. That's why we're here where we are today, and that's unfortunate." 
DD: Is it as simple as the Big 12 offenses, the inability to get the players you need, that kids have changed? Can you put your finger on why you weren’t able to replicate the success you had the first time?
MS: “Well, that's a great question. There's so many factors that go into all of that. It's your staff, it's your players, it's the league we're in. There's just so many different factors that lead to all of that and just for whatever reason we just haven't been able to find consistency and just too many bad games throughout the course of this second stint. I wish I could put my finger on it. There's a lot of different elements that go into each particular year. Certainly coaching is a big element. Players is another element to that. Continuity within all that. Youth. There's a lot of different factors that go into each particular year, but our lack of consistency was concerning to me. It's been very uncomfortable for me the last few years. I think the last time we led the conference was the year we went to the Orange Bowl, and I think that was the last time we had a top-25 defense in this league. And then the last few were just kind of hanging on for a lot of reasons. And I think those came to fruition on Saturday: our inability to tackle, our inability to cover receivers consistently, to pressure the quarterback at all levels of our defense. Just our lack of consistency, playmaking ability across the board leads to all that as you know as a great defensive player." 
DD: The last couple years what’s it been like personally, emotionally and does it in any way feel like the pressure has been alleviated?
MS: “Oh, yeah, some of that. Disappointment in myself probably is probably the No. 1 thing that I couldn't get our program back to that level consistently is what probably hurts the most. You know you know defense. Getting players to buy in consistently to play at a level that I'm used to players playing at is probably the most disappointing part of it all to me. And certainly Lincoln has been incredible. He gave me the opportunity to correct it. Players aren't always going to like you, Dusty. You know that. But they've gotta respect what it takes to play every time they step on the field when you put on an Oklahoma uniform. We just couldn't get that consistent effort from different parts of our team consistently enough, and that's probably the thing disappointed about because I know how many great defensive players that have come through this place. I coached a lot of them. So many of them through that era. It takes a special person to play and get effort like that. I just couldn't get our players to play consistently at that level and it's probably the thing that I'm the most disappointed in. Sure it hurts. Each game, it would be nerve-racking — you ask any defensive coordinator and if they are honest with you about going up against any of these teams — you are kind of sitting on edge, knowing that some of your flaws can be exposed at any time and certainly a lot of ours were exposed. You saw some of it creep in. I thought we got off to a good start early in the year. You saw some of it creep in against Iowa State. Then people started seeing things and people have you on tape and understand your strengths and your weaknesses. It was just too much to overcome ultimately.
DD: You talked about trying to get players to buy in. We would run through a wall for you. Then I read a tweet that was put out last night from one of your former players that I don’t particularly want to read. How did the disconnect happen? Have players changed and maybe you haven’t changed? Is it a different approach you took this second time around?
MS: "The times have changed greatly in the last 10 years. Social media has changed the game in a lot of ways. I think kids are much different now than they were when you were playing and we were together that first time around. Things have changed a great deal. I noticed a little bit more of it when I came back. I really had a great group of secondary guys. You look at Tony Jefferson, Demontre Hurst, Aaron Colvin, Zack Sanchez, those guys, they were the first group that I started to notice that they were a little bit different. They had their own ideas and thoughts and identities. They still played to a very high level when we pushed them to go out there and perform. That's disappointing. I can't answer for every player. There has to be accountability. You have to play for each other at a high level. Everyone is not going to like you and the way you coach and the way you teach. That's obvious. That was the same way back then. But they have to respect your knowledge, the process of going week-to-week, understanding where they have to be, why they have to be there and how they have to do things. I'm a stickler to detail and being precise in everything you do. Maybe that just wears on players. I still believe it's the right way to approach any game. The schemes don't change. The players, you try to put them in the best position to go out and play. I haven't made a tackle or covered a guy in 35 years. I haven't rushed the quarterback. I haven't done that for a long time. You have to try to put your players in the best position you can for success. That's all we've every really tried to do. I'm certainly not perfect. I've made a lot of mistakes trusting certain elements of our team. That's my responsibility. That's probably the biggest mistake I made. That's unfortunate. It leads to where we're at today. You gotta trust people. You gotta trust your coaches to get things to players. I'm one person. But ultimately, I have to demand that everybody plays a certain way, everybody gets their players to buy in and just didn’t get that."
DD: People are insinuating, even on this station, that there was a fight between you and Curtis Bolton at halftime at OU-Texas. Can you shed any light onto that situation?
MS: "Well, that's ludicrous, number one, whoever would report such an erroneous situation and defame me and him is beyond ridiculousness. That hurts as well. For people to say ... there's just so much fake news out there that me just not getting it done, it was the right time to make a move. It's unfortunate, but that's another example of social media, or people in the media who want to sensationalize all these things. I for once know how President Trump feels about fake news. Didn't say one word to Curtis at halftime, didn't even know he left, Dusty. Didn't know until after the game. That's how crazy that is. Lincoln was upset, rightfully so, at our performance and he did most of the talking. Again, that's just 100 percent false. It's unfortunate that people would run with that without even checking with me or the source, that's what's unfortunate. Me and Lincoln have so much respect for one another and I know how tremendously hard this is. After the game, we hugged each other. I told him how sorry I was and we hugged each other, walked out of the locker room, we went and said we would talk on Sunday. We talked Sunday morning for about a half-hour. Talked about some of the issues, what happened, why so-and-so, we left each other, talked about the future, what's gonna be best for our program. We talked about five, six hours later and came to this conclusion. That's exactly what happened. Again, we're all grown men here. We have a lot of respect for each other. I have tremendous respect for this program and what's best for it, and that's what we decided. That's exactly how it happened. If people want to believe that other stuff, that other noise, then that's their business. I would, again, never lie about something as important as that or the integrity of what we are as people. Going down with integrity is the most important part of all this."
DD: And just to clarify, there were reports that the president of the university made Lincoln do this. There were reports that you’d given a letter of resignation on Saturday after the game. I’m guessing those were all just asinine assertations?
MS: "Yeah, can you see me on a computer after the game typing out a letter of resignation? That sounds just like me, doesn't it Dusty? You know me as well as anybody. That's absurd as well. Again, I don't know where people get their news. I don't know why they report such ridiculousness or why we can't handle this like grown me. Me and Lincoln and administration. That's what we ultimately did and did what's best for our program at this time. I'm sorry, but that's how it went down."
DD: What’s next for Mike Stoops?
MS: "That’s another great question, Dusty. I just want to rest, get healthy. It’s been a great strain on all of us, my whole family. I think everybody here. Just want to rest, heal, reflect and see where it takes me. I really don’t know. I would say I’m in the same situation Bob [stoops, his retired brother] is in. I don’t know. I could see myself doing a lot of different things. I could see myself trying to be an understudy to somebody — a Nick Saban, a Kirby Smart, somebody of that magnitude and trying to rethink, relearn, reteach. I could see myself, you know, I don’t know [about] going back into the fire coaching defense right now. I don’t know. I have to see where my gut takes me, whether media, any of that is something I’d enjoy doing. The first thing I’ve got to do is recharge myself, reboot and think this all through. When I left Arizona and got right into this thing it was, I don’t know if I really took enough time to rethink things if that makes sense. I went right into another very high-profile situation that takes a lot out of you. So I don’t know. That’s something I’m going to kind of work through. If I take on another responsibility of this magnitude, I want to make sure I’m right and everything’s right with our staff, it’s the right fit for me, personally, with who I’m coaching with. That’s not to say … Lincoln has been, me and him will always be friends. It was a great three and a half years together. He couldn’t have been kinder to me. His family loved me. So I don’t know. We’ll see."
DD: I’m going to recommend you get the hell out of the Big 12, coach. I don’t think this is a place any defensive coordinator wants to be.
MS: "It’s taken probably five years off my life, that’s for sure. Tremendously well-coached offenses in this league. I couldn’t give these offensive coordinators enough respect. Not sure if everybody sees it like we see it week in and week out. It’s unfortunate. Again, you’ve got to be so spot-on at different levels of your defense to really handle these things consistently. It is. It’s extremely difficult to coach defense in this league."
DD: You’ve got time on your hands now — grow a beard and work on your golf game.
MS: "Yeah, could you see me and Bob with our beards out there golfing?"
DD: Just don’t be fighting with each other.
MS: "No, we don’t have to worry about that anymore. My family’s been tremendously supportive. All of Oklahoma, Dusty. It’s unfortunate. I know how hard it was for Lincoln. Got calls from Joe, President Boren. That means the world to me. They understood how hard and what it meant to me. Just let a lot of people down, that’s probably the hardest part."
DD: Coach, I’m sorry it went down this way, but I have no doubt in my mind that whatever’s next it’s gonna be positive and you’re gonna do a hell of a job.
MS: "Love you guys, too. And love all my players, past and even these present kids. They just don’t know yet. Life’s lessons come in different ways and at different times. A lot of times these kids don’t understand it until they’re out in the real world, understand what you were trying to teach them, the hard lessons of life. That was my greatest reward was players would always come back and say, ‘Now I understand what you were trying to teach me and why you were trying to teach me it that way.’ Sometimes love is tough, but it’s still love. The respect I have for everyone, my players, whether it was Oklahoma, Arizona or Kansas State, my work speaks for itself."
DD: Thanks again, coach.
MS: "Thank you."

Read more  

Mike Stoops is MrWizard?

The anti-Wizard, is more like it...

• 3 months later...