Reports saying Mike Stoops has been let go

Hornius Emeritus

7 hours ago, Deej said:

Lulz. We put their program in turmoil. 

Yep. The two big OU fans I know personally felt like it really was going to be a blowout for them and they are in shock (although the fourth quarter lessened that shock quite a bit). They didn't think we had a chance to keep it close, much less win outright. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Yep. The two big OU fans I know personally felt like it really was going to be a blowout for them and they are in shock (although the fourth quarter lessened that shock quite a bit). They didn't think we had a chance to keep it close, much less win outright. 

which is ridiculous. we are a much better team than we were last year when we almost beat them and they aren't as good as last year. funny how that works.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texasrocks said:

Their defense didn't look poorly coordinated, they were just soft. Our receivers weren't running wide open in the secondary. They weren't doing crazy Manny Diaz stunts that left huge running lanes. They knew what was coming, they just couldn't stop it.

Mostly agree.  There were definitely times they looked poorly coordinated, too.  How many times did we run the same goalline play without an adjustment to how they defended it?  Stoops was trash, sad to lose him. 

That said, they're definitely soft and I wonder how long Riley will overlook his old buddy Bennie on this.  He chose to bring Willey in, he did not choose Stoops.  It will be interesting to see if he's as aware of deficiencies in staff he chose to hire vs those he begrudgingly inherited.  Here's hoping no. 

Now is the time where we really see the risk of promoting a coordinator with no hc experience.  Riley is an amazing oc.  There was a time when we wanted Muschamp as hc bc he was a great dc.  Then Florida happened.

Could Riley be like Muschamp as a hc, great on his side of the ball but never able to right the other enough to be a great team?  issuchathingevenpossibleyesitis.gif

Edited by Bill Lumbergh

Shitcanning him outright before midseason may have been what he deserved, but I'm not sure it was the right thing to do from a longer-term standpoint.  A quiet internal demotion is probably a smoother move.

Lil Lincoln may be showing his ass a little.  And I would find it quite hilarious if he turned OU into Tceh northeast so that he is creating an untenable situation for a DC.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Haven't read the thread but they should've kicked him out.  He was never a good coach.  He was Venerables' emotional sidekick in the early Stoops days, and really hasn't done shit.

One thing about Riley, he's a good young coach and isn't afraid to do what has to be done to fix problems.  Congrats to him having the balls to get rid of that ineffective boil.  Although of course part of me wanted to see him around, because y'know, OU sucks.  And would stay that way.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Shitcanning him outright before midseason may have been what he deserved, but I'm not sure it was the right thing to do from a longer-term standpoint.  A quiet internal demotion is probably a smoother move.

Lil Lincoln may be showing his ass a little.  And I would find it quite hilarious if he turned OU into Tceh northeast.

Agreed. and it could impact staff relationships internally, as well as pissing off the Stoops bunch externally. Not to mention there are surely players who are going to be affected by it.  I hope it creates a lot of problems. 

... on the other hand the staff could have been screaming their asses off for Stoopsie to be gone 2 years back, and Riley finally had the wherewithal to pull the trigger.  Canning BagODicks Bob's brother in Norman can't be done easily I would imagine.  But after being railroaded, absolutely buttfucked by a decent but not top offense should pretty much be all he needed.  Of course we probably won't know how much the coaching staff thought Mikey boy was fucking up, but he was a legacy and they're hard to kick out.

Good on Riley for telling him to go back to Akron and play with rubber.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

One thing about Riley, he's a good young coach and isn't afraid to do what has to be done to fix problems.  Congrats to him having the balls to get rid of that ineffective boil.  Although of course part of me wanted to see him around, because y'know, OU sucks.  And would stay that way.

Riley stepped into an ideal situation when he took over for Stoops.  His offensive mind is obviously top notch, but I'd be curious to see how he fares if he had to build a program up, select and hire a coaching staff and generate recruiting momentum.  

Mike Stoops = Scapegoat

Firing Stoops is not the quick fix BlowU fans think or hoping it is. OU has no stars on that side of the ball and hasn’t really had one since probably Gerald McCoy 09. They lack depth and size on defense. It’s kinda absurd how easily CJ & LJH shredded them.

Edited by A’Dam Psycho

The fact that we're all sad he's gone assures you it's the right move.  The timing is the questionable part.  After Watson's disaster of a first year, Charlie's failure to cut him during the off-season only to demote him during the season screamed amateur hour and had all of us on edge. 

You can argue that Riley didn't have the political capital to fire a Stoops after his first season, and that's probably right, but otherwise the optics on this look about the same.  It surprises absolutely no one that their defense has been trash this year.

No matter what, they look unstable externally with this move in their second year under Riley, just after losing to us in what should have been a blowout.  Hard to argue any of this is bad for us, aside from a likely upgrade at DC at some point. 

7 hours ago, Rockwell Torrey said:

This right here. We scored nearly 50 points on them once.  Bob Stoops treated Mack Brown like a Thai hooker locked in the hold of a Russian fishing trawler that had been at sea for three months.  FUPM never demonstrated this level of awareness and decisiveness.  

Agreed.  They are more proactive.  They see trends and adjust before they become facts.  Heupel a few years ago, this move, Stoops’ resignation all speak to a very nimble and aggressive decision-making process. We tend to wait and see to the point that the decision makes itself.

Only dumb move they made was dropping Venables because Mike Stoops got fired from Arizona and needed a job.  And even that move didn’t look as bad at the time as it turned out to be. 

Obviously the last straw was the blowout to us. I also think that the move to replace Stoops with Riley was also related to how well we were recruiting. It was their way of countering Tom's youth movement with one of their own. We're on the offensive and dictating and that's a good thing.

I imagine this has been talked about already on this thread but their offensive style almost certainly has to contribute in part to their lack of defensive success. This score as quickly as possible mentality just leaves their defense on the field too much. 

3 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Agreed.  They are more proactive.  They see trends and adjust before they become facts.  Heupel a few years ago, this move, Stoops’ resignation all speak to a very nimble and aggressive decision-making process. We tend to wait and see to the point that the decision makes itself.

Only dumb move they made was dropping Venables because Mike Stoops got fired from Arizona and needed a job.  And even that move didn’t look as bad at the time as it turned out to be. 

Eh, I'm not so sure I would feel this way if I'm a sooner fan. 

Your argument is that him being fired now is acting aggressively to fix the problem.  I'd argue it's acting one off season too late.

This looks more to me like Riley was unwilling or unable to pull the trigger when he really should have and is now paying the price.  The data has been in on Stoops for a long time.  This feels more like a desperation catch up move vs nimble and aggressive decision making. 

14 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I'm sure it's been said, but if you have to fire a coach mid-season, that just demonstrates that you completely failed to fire him when you should have.

Yep.

The one benefit of firing him mid-season is now they have a ready-made excuse for the defense sucking the rest of the season. It'll be Stoops' fault that their defense is soft, their secondary is undersized, etc.

18 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

The Mike Stoops hire was widely panned as a terrible move.

2 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

Their defense didn't look poorly coordinated, they were just soft. Our receivers weren't running wide open in the secondary. They weren't doing crazy Manny Diaz stunts that left huge running lanes. They knew what was coming, they just couldn't stop it.

Their DBs were grabbing our WRs and holding on for dear life in coverage.  I'm not sure how being "tougher" would improve their coverage short of outright tackling the wideouts at the LOS.

21 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

The last thing I would call the move to get rid of Stoops is “proactive”. This was long overdue. 

Edited by Newy25

32 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Mike Stoops = Scapegoat

Firing Stoops is not the quick fix BlowU fans think or hoping it is. OU has no stars on that side of the ball and hasn’t really had one since probably Gerald McCoy 09. They lack depth and size on defense. It’s kinda absurd how easily CJ & LJH shredded them.

And this is a VERY important point.  Many people are making the obvious comparison of Lincoln Riley to Mike Leach.  I wonder if his effect on the program might be more like that of John Mackovic.  Same offensive genius rep.  Same lopsided distribution of talent in favor of one side of the ball.  And seemingly the same ability to undermine a tradition of playing tough defense at a program.

8 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Same thing I said earlier. Buncha pussies up there.
Kyler crying like a bitch.
I wonder if Stoops said something to pussy ass kyler which in turn led to stoops departure.

This thought crossed my mind when they brought in Kendall for a play. Haven't heard anything about an equipment issue so how else do you explain putting the backup QB in? 

[Lincoln] No comment. [Bitchass Riley]

50 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Mike Stoops = Scapegoat

When we came out for a goal line series after a TV time out in the 3rd or 4th, the camera angle highlighted the size differential between our offense and the OU defense.  I was shocked by how much smaller their defense was than our offense across the board.  Their DT's looked like children next to our tackles.

• Haha 1

They were 5-0.  One loss to Texas and out you go.  LOL!  Shit, sounds about right for that garbage excuse of a school.  No class or respect even to their precious legacy Stoops family.  They could have moved Ruffin to DC without firing Mike then let him go at the end of the season with some dignity.  No panick in Norman, nope none, haha.    

26 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

This thought crossed my mind when they brought in Kendall for a play. Haven't heard anything about an equipment issue so how else do you explain putting the backup QB in? 

[Lincoln] No comment. [Bitchass Riley]

My guess is he can see over the line to throw from inside the pocket. It takes less time to drop straight back and throw...as long as you don’t drop the snap. 

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

The last thing I would call the move to get rid of Stoops is “proactive”. This was long overdue. 

I don't disagree, but it's hard for a first-year coach to fire the legend's brother as DC coming off a year where they went to the CFP.  I think he did it as soon as he could.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

The Mike Stoops hire was widely panned as a terrible move.

Hereabouts, yes, but in OK that's all hindsight.  The Okies wanted Venables gone and for Mike to take over as DC the second he was fired at AZ.  It was a popular move for BoD to hire his brother back.  Here's just the first article from a google search:

https://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/dave-sittler-don-t-underestimate-bob-stoops-loyalty-to-brent/article_f68c2d12-ad44-525d-b4d1-2fc9ec0bb774.html

Edited by Liquor and Poker

SIAP....

Here's what Dean Blevins learned about the situation on Sunday:

Just talked w James Hale comparing notes. He is firm on his breaking story that an emotional Mike Stoops was fired today. 

Also....

"Well I guess there was a lot of emotion in that locker room not only after the game, but at halftime when a player almost quit the team. It was an unusual amount of negative emotion. You can understand that because they played pitifully in the first half. 

I did learn tonight that Mike Stoops had offered to resign and Lincoln Riley didn't accept his resignation after the game, and then today Mike learned that he had been fired, so that was kind of a strange set of circumstances. 

The timing is curious, certainly from Mike Stoops' standpoint. Mid-season is rarely done, but at the same time there was such a huge uproar among the fandom. I don't know that all the players had bought in, and I think Lincoln Riley had brought that up to Mike. The rare mid-season fire, happened today."

Edited by LTtxfan

13 hours ago, fellside said:

Their secondary is awful.  For the first time this century it feels like, I can't name any of their linebackers after the RRS.  I wasn't worried about a single dude on their defense.

Oklahoma is going to be a dumpster fire after Kyler and Brown leave, and Riley decides to take an NFL job.

bob stoops will just go back to HC in norman.

Edited by HeyMcFly

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

SIAP....

Here's what Dean Blevins learned about the situation: 

"Well I guess there was a lot of emotion in that locker room not only after the game, but at halftime when a player almost quit the team. It was an unusual amount of negative emotion. You can understand that because they played pitifully in the first half. 

I did learn tonight that Mike Stoops had offered to resign and Lincoln Riley didn't accept his resignation after the game, and then today Mike learned that he had been fired, so that was kind of a strange set of circumstances. 

The timing is curious, certainly from Mike Stoops' standpoint. Mid-season is rarely done, but at the same time there was such a huge uproar among the fandom. I don't know that all the players had bought in, and I think Lincoln Riley had brought that up to Mike. The rare mid-season fire, happened today."

AND.....

Just talked w James Hale comparing notes. He is firm on his breaking story that an emotional Mike Stoops was fired today. 

— Dean Blevins (@DeanBlevins) October 8, 2018

A player almost quit the team at halftime? They were a top ten, undefeated team, down by what, one score at halftime?  How on Earth is your locker room imploding with that little adversity? 

Edited by Newy25

36 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

They were 5-0.  One loss to Texas and out you go.  LOL!  Shit, sounds about right for that garbage excuse of a school.  No class or respect even to their precious legacy Stoops family.  They could have moved Ruffin to DC without firing Mike then let him go at the end of the season with some dignity.  No panick in Norman, nope none, haha.    

Lol.  M Stoops should have been long ago. Of course, you’d like it better if he rolled like Mack and fucked shit up even more.  Fuck Mike Stoops.  

‘They were 5-0.’  Yes, vs garbage teams.  And the D still sucked.  

6 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Lol.  Those fans are dumbasses.  Most OU fans were ready for a fight and none too surprised to see Texas offense do whatever they wanted.  OU has been favored a ton recently in the series and are 6-3 in the last 9 but covered once, maybe twice at most.  Add on Tom’s rep as an underdog and here we are.  OU fans aren’t delusional like Aggy.  At least get that right.  But yeah, they suck. 

11 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

A player almost quit the team at halftime? They were a top ten, undefeated team, down by what, one score at halftime?  How on Earth is your locker room imploding with that little adversity? 

Who was it?  The guy who tried to fist-fuck on the fumble?  Was he upset his courtship was rebuffed?

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Whether or not this is true, it smells like a schism in the fanbase.  If it is true there are going to be ugly reverberations in the locker room among the staff as well.

I heard a rumor that the new president at OU, Gallogly, responded to OU's version of BMDs getting in his ear by essentially ordering Riley to fire Stoops. This jibes with the news report I saw indicating that Gallogly was present at the meeting informing Stoops he was fired. Locker room trouble and donor/admin involvement in running the team over there sound like my kind of news. I hope it's true.

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

I imagine this has been talked about already on this thread but their offensive style almost certainly has to contribute in part to their lack of defensive success. This score as quickly as possible mentality just leaves their defense on the field too much. 

While I do believe the offensive style does leave the defense more vulnerable to getting worn out, I think it's compounded by the fact that the defense doesn't get to practice every day against an overly physical team. When they go up against somebody who wants to punch you in the face for 60 minutes, they aren't ready for it. Texas has been the more physical team in this game for the past several years. As shitty as we have been, we've had no business splitting the last 6 with them. But that game has always been a fistfight disguised as a football game. That's why Stoops owned Mack in the beginning years despite our having a much more talented roster.

tl/dr: Take the loss pussy.