Amazon prime recommendations

Washpark

On 2/13/2019 at 6:23 PM, Go Pokes said:

I don’t get the hate. I thought he was fine as JR. it’s not like the character is some total badass. He’s pretty badass, but he’s not a Jack Reacher type (book, not the movie!).

You know, that's interesting and a good point. I've never read a Tom Clancy book, but in Hunt for Red October and Clear and Present Danger (the movies), Jack Ryan is presented as an office/desk guy who has to get into some shit that is way over his head. 

On 2/13/2019 at 12:15 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

In case it hasn't been mentioned here, all three seasons of The Expanse are up for free on Prime. If you aren't watching this show you need to be.

On 2/13/2019 at 9:30 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yep. One of the best scifi series ever made.

Y'all have convinced me. I'll be starting it as soon as the wife goes to bed.

Finished “Lorena”.

I won’t get into my specific thoughts yet because I don’t want to spoil it for anyone.

Man, still infuriating. Just seeing where both John and Lorena ended up and what each of them have done with their lives and what they did with what they learned from their notoriety and experience tells the whole story.

And, whew child, the last ten minutes are something else.

Finished “Lorena”.

I won’t get into my specific thoughts yet because I don’t want to spoil it for anyone.

Man, still infuriating. Just seeing where both John and Lorena ended up and what each of them have done with their lives and what they did with what they learned from their notoriety and experience tells the whole story.

And, whew child, the last ten minutes are something else.

Binged it today. My wife only watched the last 1.5 episodes. Her blood was boiling.

Powerful. Infuriating. John Bobbitt is a pathetic compulsive liar POS. Well worth the watch.

On 2/15/2019 at 9:46 AM, Player said:

Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot - this is a great film, and Joaquin Phoenix and Jonah Hill were both terrific. 

This one hits some spots as a recovering alcoholic. There's some real accurate portrayal of emotions in the movie and Phoenix makes it that way because he's so good. 

I thought it was just fair, though. I couldn't really get into it, but didn't dislike it. Just wasn't crazy about it. 

I threw that out there because I was really curious why all the posters who hated him as Jack Ryan could explain why.  All I'm getting is support.  Come on naysayers, chime in here.  

Jim sucked as Ryan, kept waiting for him to look at the camera and smirk. His pouting and faux outrage were laughable. It was really earful and I loved the books
  • Like 1

This Giant Beast That is the Global Economy

Season 1

This globe-spanning docuseries brings the smart, stylized storytelling of Adam McKay's The Big Short to a quirky and compelling exploration of the global economy. In each episode, host Kal Penn - with the help of some celebrity friends - answers a burning question like: How can I launder a bag of dirty cash? How scared should I be of a rubber apocalypse? And is it easier for dicks to get rich?

4 episodes in and still involved.  Well done with humor without talking down to the audience.  

7 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Season 1

This globe-spanning docuseries brings the smart, stylized storytelling of Adam McKay's The Big Short to a quirky and compelling exploration of the global economy. In each episode, host Kal Penn - with the help of some celebrity friends - answers a burning question like: How can I launder a bag of dirty cash? How scared should I be of a rubber apocalypse? And is it easier for dicks to get rich?

4 episodes in and still involved.  Well done with humor without talking down to the audience.  

Got through this series very quickly.  I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

On 3/2/2019 at 9:16 AM, pyrohornIII said:

Season 1

Just watched the first 3. Great show.

On 2/14/2019 at 9:15 PM, Grandioso said:

You know, that's interesting and a good point. I've never read a Tom Clancy book, but in Hunt for Red October and Clear and Present Danger (the movies), Jack Ryan is presented as an office/desk guy who has to get into some shit that is way over his head. 

he's just an analyst.  Haven't you heard?

On 2/14/2019 at 7:59 PM, BlueGreySky said:

If I'm not fully in after 2 episodes, should I keep going because it picks up speed, or do you think it just may not be my cup o tea?

It's good by the second season.  Really good. Kind of have to put up with the first as background/backstory.  It's not bad, just kind of wtf.

On 3/4/2019 at 10:10 PM, WBT said:

The Widow starring the recruiting board's Kate Beckinsale and Tywin Lannister looks interesting.  Anyone watched yet?

I watched all 8 episodes and it was a beating to get thru.  Just not very well made and have plot lines that go nowhere.  Other than Kate being Kate,  not worth your time.

Crime Story. Old short lived NBC series about cops & the mob that starts in Chicago and moves to Las Vegas in the early 60's starring Dennis Farina. It was produced by Michael Mann and intended to be a sort of retro spinoff of Miami Vice. Good stuff for it's time.

Edited by RPM

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

I really liked Red Oaks at the start, but it couldn't keep its momentum to me. 

Not at all.  All I wanted was "stupid summer shit happening at the country club" show.  I don't give a fuck about Paris, NYC, Cornell, your stupid life.  This isn't a show for in depth character development.  Give me slapstick stupidity with this one.  A much, much more gratuitous nudity.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 9:30 AM, ernest_t_bass said:

Not at all.  All I wanted was "stupid summer shit happening at the country club" show.  I don't give a fuck about Paris, NYC, Cornell, your stupid life.  This isn't a show for in depth character development.  Give me slapstick stupidity with this one.  A much, much more gratuitous nudity.

exactly

• 2 weeks later...

Just started watching Family Tree from Christopher Guest.  Stars Chris O'Dowd, who was great in Get Shorty (on Netflix?).  Seems true to Guest form, so if you like his work, you might like this.  Only through first episode so far.

Also, being big into genealogy, my wife and I find this particularly amusing.

On 3/17/2019 at 8:05 AM, Post Oak said:

I really liked Red Oaks at the start, but it couldn't keep its momentum to me. 

I really like season 1 & 2 of Red Oaks but wtf?  The third season must of had different writers and directors it was all over the place and sucked.  I guess that’s why they only made 6 episodes?