Amazon prime recommendations

Washpark

I agree on Hannah, though it took a while. Watched the early release and thought it was just OK, but was wondering why they made this as the pilot and the first few episodes are very similar to the movie, though not really as stylized or as good. But it really starts to pick up as it veers from the film and they are able to explore her story and the backstory more deeply. 

Edited by Sejjr

Another vote on Hannah. That's a bad bitch. Also, the guy impressed me as an actor. I thought he was fine in The Killing, but nothing above average. I guess I can't think of anything else I've seen him in.

Suicide Squad?

He’s been in a bunch of pretty high profile stuff lately.

This is really weird but I find myself liking Prime better than Netflix because Netflix makes me feel like I have to watch something the day it comes out or it gets lost in an avalanche of new shit.  I was scrolling through the Netflix New Releases list last night and The Highwaymen was something like 40 shows to the right.  Didn't that come out last week?

13 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Vic, if you're enjoying Bosch, do yourself a favor and pick up the books.  I recommend that you read them in order, but it's not a complete necessity. 

I second this. Started reading the books after season 3. I haven't read them in order, I've skipped around a lot trying to pick ones that the seasons were based on.

I know what you mean.  I think Netflix puts out too much stuff.  There's no way to keep up with it and a lot of it isn't very good so it's a hassle knowing which shows are worth watching.

They’re just building a backlog of shit so they can eventually move to Netflix only stuff. They need a ton of filler before they can do that.

On 4/3/2019 at 9:42 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Altered Carbon?

On 4/4/2019 at 9:47 PM, henrygandorf said:

uh, robocop?

On 4/5/2019 at 2:55 AM, Bama Chick said:

Suicide Squad?

He’s been in a bunch of pretty high profile stuff lately.

None.

I really just wanted to see if I could use multi-quote, though. Now if I can figure out how to post pictures and do spoilers, I'd be stylin'.  

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

They’re just building a backlog of shit so they can eventually move to Netflix only stuff. They need a ton of filler before they can do that.

Remember when you could watch new movies on Netflix before they hit HBO? I barely can. All they stream now is original content and most of it is uninteresting. I don't have an additional mailed subscription. They do have a few legitimately good shows, but you have to wade through a sea of mediocrity to find them.

Prime isn't much better, but their originals are. The Grand Tour, The Romanoffs, Sneaky Pete and Ozark are prime examples (pun intended).

On 4/5/2019 at 10:58 AM, kevwun said:

I know what you mean.  I think Netflix puts out too much stuff.  There's no way to keep up with it and a lot of it isn't very good so it's a hassle knowing which shows are worth watching.

Which is why I am glad for this thread (and the Netflix thread too)

Obviously every show isn't going to interest everyone.  The stuff that pisses me off are the foreign shows that I have genuine interest in that they insist on dubbing English over.  Just let me read subtitles like Narcos.  I'll get used to it and I won't stop the series after ten minutes because the lips are so far off from the words that it distracts me to the point of choosing another show.

Has anyone seen The Family I Had?  Holy fucked up family!  This isn’t really a spoiler cause believe it or not it’s not really the focus of this story and just mentioned that she was arrested for it but the grandmother total murdered her husband.  That really is just a small side not in this crazy story and not focused on at all.  But watch her talk about it especially when she talks about how she manipulated people.

Edited by Hook1997

On 4/7/2019 at 4:51 AM, RPM said:

Remember when you could watch new movies on Netflix before they hit HBO? I barely can. All they stream now is original content and most of it is uninteresting. I don't have an additional mailed subscription. They do have a few legitimately good shows, but you have to wade through a sea of mediocrity to find them.

Prime isn't much better, but their originals are. The Grand Tour, The Romanoffs, Sneaky Pete and Ozark are prime examples (pun intended).

I thought most of The Romanoffs was trash. The ep with the piano tutor was beyond awful, and the one in Mexico felt incongruous in both style and substance. I felt Last Jedi levels of disappointment in that series.

On 4/10/2019 at 1:15 AM, Hook1997 said:

Has anyone seen The Family I Had?  Holy fucked up family!  This isn’t really a spoiler cause believe it or not it’s not really the focus of this story and just mentioned that she was arrested for it but the grandmother total murdered her husband.  That really is just a small side not in this crazy story and not focused on at all.  But watch her talk about it especially when she talks about how she manipulated people.

I watched it last night. Yeah, that's a fucked up situation and family. I thought a really well done documentary, though. 

I was a little torn on her visiting her son in prison, but I kind of understood that she couldn't just cut him loose as a parent, even though I say I definitely would if the roles were reversed. But, then the grandma talked about him trying to stab her other daughter (I think that's who she was talking about) and then taking him to a psychiatrist where the doctor told the mom that he was homicidal.

Of course the grandma was nuts and may have made that up, but if she didn't, that mom really fucked up not getting him help and just using the excuse that she didn't think leaving him at that institution would help him, after talking the whole documentary how he should be in a mental institution and not prison. I came away really feeling for that mom and also thinking, fuck you, mom.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 8:38 PM, BBQ2Bayou said:

Another vote on Hannah. That's a bad bitch. Also, the guy impressed me as an actor. I thought he was fine in The Killing, but nothing above average. I guess I can't think of anything else I've seen him in.

Enjoyed Hanna a lot.