Amazon prime recommendations

Washpark

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

+1 on the recommendation of Outer Range. I'm always a sucker for time jumping, sci-fi movies/TV shows, assuming their done well.

On 4/16/2022 at 6:02 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Outer Range is off to a great start. It’s Yellowstone + Twilight Zone. 2 eps in.

On 4/16/2022 at 6:34 PM, Red Five said:

Yeah I'm one ep into Outer Range and it's great. 

I'm going to start a thread for discussion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Putting this here because I couldn't find the other streaming thread. And you can order BritBox through Prime.

Watch The Curse on BritBox.

It's as close to the old school Guy Ritchie shit as you can get these these days. Brit characters doing Brit shit.

Edited by Brothahorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, austingirl said:

I really liked The Devil's Hour. It's only 6 episodes so it makes a great binge. Also, it may have the creepiest child character I've ever seen, and I've seen a LOT of shows with creepy children.

Agree, the kid was extremely creepy. Gideon was pretty messed up also

• Hook 'Em 1

Was glad to see this thread because I wanted to recommend precisely both of those series.

Devil's Hour was fascinating, and I was really pleased with how the ending allowed you to make sense of so much WTF throughout the show, and it also required you to think and put some of the puzzle pieces together yourself--such as how the kid wound up in the woods outside the pedo's home with the film set basement.  Really, really well done.

As for The English... holy cow what a great western.  Tremendous performance by the dude playing the villain Melmont, as well as the Pawnee Scout.  Everything about that series was done superbly.  Interesting look into what people will do when forced into a fight to survive, in addition to the revenge angle.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I mean, you pretty much know as soon as they introduce some characters. Chaske Spencer gives some Anson Mount (Hell on Wheels, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds) vibes. He also reminded me of Tommy Lee Jones in a lot of scenes. This guy needs more roles in quality westerns, but he would probably get typecast since he is native.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I ended up watching the English over the last three days.  It certainly drew me in.  I was really wondering about what happened to her son, but I for sure didn't have that on my bingo card

I fully enjoyed it. They could have done 8 episodes and given us a bit more shenanigans  - upping the overall stakes of it all - but I thought it was very well acted, and enjoyed it. And the cinematography was top notch. 

On 11/18/2022 at 9:05 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

What western would y'all The English to? If it's as good as Godless I will be quite content. 

Is Season 1 only 6 episodes? Are there plans for a second season? 

I enjoyed Godless but I'd rank it well beneath The English.  The English was the best western I've seen in a very long time.

I'm not sure "charisma" is the best word, but it'll do till the best one gets here.  Chaske was just incredible. Soft spoken, deep voice, exuding such a quiet confidence and resignation to the way things just are, but not defeated by them.  Hope they give him an Emmy or whatever the appropriate award is for a TV series like that.  

Jesus Christ Emily Blunt is beautiful.

I mentioned in my previous post about TE that I thought the guy playing Melmont was a fantastic villain. I realized he gave off Tom Hardy vibes.  There was something familiar about him from the beginning, and it finally dawned on me that's what it was.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 11/26/2022 at 8:32 AM, TexPx said:

Good Night Oppy. Very enjoyable feel good documentary.

Really hit me in the feels.   And I thought my kid was going to cry at the end, but he saw they had other rovers going and was happy about that.

That was really a helluva team they pulled together to build and handle the rovers.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

I enjoyed Godless but I'd rank it well beneath The English.  The English was the best western I've seen in a very long time.
I'm not sure "charisma" is the best word, but it'll do till the best one gets here.  Chaske was just incredible. Soft spoken, deep voice, exuding such a quiet confidence and resignation to the way things just are, but not defeated by them.  Hope they give him an Emmy or whatever the appropriate award is for a TV series like that.  
Jesus Christ Emily Blunt is beautiful.
I mentioned in my previous post about TE that I thought the guy playing Melmont was a fantastic villain. I realized he gave off Tom Hardy vibes.  There was something familiar about him from the beginning, and it finally dawned on me that's what it was.

I was confused on the last episode. Who was the Indian kid? Feel free to spoiler the answer.

On 11/15/2022 at 11:48 PM, GoPokes83 said:

Watched the first two of The English. Fantastic so far! John Krasinski’s wife is pretty good, but the star so far is definitely Chaske Spencer as the scout! Looking forward to seeing where this one goes

Just finished Episode 2. Only nit was the baby delivery scene. Seemed very contrived plot line. 

Otherwise the whole show is excellent so far. 

On 12/4/2022 at 10:38 PM, GoPokes83 said:

I was confused on the last episode. Who was the Indian kid? Feel free to spoiler the answer.

Spoiler

He was the son of the chief the soldiers killed at the very beginning of the first episode. After the chief was killed, Scout saved the kid and his mother from the soldiers.  The kid and his mom apparently got split up at some point and both ended up in bad situations.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...