Amazon prime recommendations

Washpark

In case anyone's looking for a free trial of apple tv+, this is good for 7 days plus 2 months.

https://redeem.apple.com/emancipation-us?locale=en-us&itscg=80121&itsct=emancipation_ws_offer_22

You'll need to create an itunes account first an input your credit card. But you can cancel free of charge approximately 65 days after you sign up, February being a short month. I think the promo will last another week or two.

If you've had apple tv before I think you just need to create a new itunes account using a different email address and you should be good to go. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Three Pines is a good watch. I’m about 4 episodes in thus far and it’s pretty good. Set in small town in Quebec and stars Alfred Molina as lead detective. 
Took me down a rabbit hole reading about “Residential Schools” in Canada. Talk about fucked up and horrible. 

Just finished last episode last night.  Wife and I both enjoyed.  Looking forward to next season.

On 12/24/2022 at 12:16 AM, tx 3 putt said:

Jack Ryan season 3 was by great. Hopefully season 4 doesn’t take 2 years 

s4 is going to be the last one evidently.

looks like there is going to be a spin off about Ding Chavez (Michael Pena) is evidently in development
https://deadline.com/2022/05/jack-ryan-end-season-4-final-season-spinoff-michael-pena-ding-chavez-amazon-tom-clancy-1235014723/

spoilering info on his introduction to the show

Spoiler

Peña will be introduced in the final episode of the upcoming third season before joining the cast full-time in Season 4. Amazon announced Peña’s addition to the cast in the Season 4 pickup announcement in October without revealing his character.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 11:33 AM, abuelo gringo said:

Just finished last episode last night.  Wife and I both enjoyed.  Looking forward to next season.

On 12/27/2022 at 12:53 PM, BrazilHorn said:

Three Pines is a good watch. I’m about 4 episodes in thus far and it’s pretty good. Set in small town in Quebec and stars Alfred Molina as lead detective. 
Took me down a rabbit hole reading about “Residential Schools” in Canada. Talk about fucked up and horrible. 

meh. My girlfriend loves detective shows and anything french/canadian/montreal related, but even she admitted the writing was shitty. We turned it off midway thru the 3rd episode.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have Showtime, George and Tammy was a good watch.   I grew up listening to Tammy in particular, because she was my brother's favorite.  I thought the whole thing was pretty well done, sure explained a lot of chemistry.  

Also a recommendation for The Hunters, since the last season is about to drop.

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Season 2 of the Hunters isn't bad, except they never run out of bullets 

The unlimited supply of bullets in TV/Movie guns has always been a thing, but I think I get even more annoyed when a semi-automatic pistol keeps "clicking" every time they pull the trigger after emptying a magazine.  Amazing how the firing pin keeps getting reset despite the weapon not discharging.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

The unlimited supply of bullets in TV/Movie guns has always been a thing, but I think I get even more annoyed when a semi-automatic pistol keeps "clicking" every time they pull the trigger after emptying a magazine.  Amazing how the firing pin keeps getting reset despite the weapon not discharging.

There is also the dramatic pumping of the shotgun or pulling back of the hammer to show you're really serious. In most situations portrayed, you'd already have done this. It's tired and lazy writing.

16 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Second go ‘round with Bosch.  It’s on my short list with The Sopranos and The Wire …

I’ve watched Bosch twice, will watch it a third time 

39 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

There is also the dramatic pumping of the shotgun or pulling back of the hammer to show you're really serious. In most situations portrayed, you'd already have done this. It's tired and lazy writing.

They never have a round chambered 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/24/2022 at 12:18 AM, tx 3 putt said:

very under rated actor 

disappointed the wire GIF

Man, black really do not crack.  He doesn't look a bit different than Bunk, 20 plus years ago.

Also, I really enjoy the John Hoogenakker character, Matisse or Matice.  He was great in the Purdue Pharma docudrama.

27 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, I really enjoy the John Hoogenakker character, Matisse or Matice.  He was great in the Purdue Pharma docudrama.

He was basically John Clark, except they couldn't use "John Clark" because the character was licensed to another studio (think Marvel/Spiderman).

Really wished they had kept him around though, because he should have been doing a lot of what Jack was doing in the third season.

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

I've been watching Gangs of London.  I'm enjoying it but I am a sucker for gratuitous violence.

It gets pretty stupid middle of season 2. 

Tears of the Valley is damn good. Setting is the Battle of Yom Kippur. One of the first examples of the inferiority of soviet arms to the west.

Great writing, great cast, direction etc.

Probably best depiction of soldier comradery since Band of Brothers IMO.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 7:23 PM, Buzzrock said:

I liked The Outift. Didn’t love it. There is one point in the story where I was thinking “why doesn’t he just tell them what happened?” But Mark Rylance is great and it’s a good little story in the vein of The Drop. Kinda.

What if PBS made a mob movie? You’d get The Outfit. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2021 at 8:52 AM, Not a cat said:

Just finished up third season of Loudermilk and really enjoyed it.  Ron Livingston is a substance abuse counselor.  Written by Peter Farrelly.  Think of a misanthropic Peter Gibbons running AA meetings with typical Farrelly dialogue.

If you watch first ten minutes and don't laugh go ahead and turn it off, because it's not for you.

almost finished it.  Hate for it to end.  Best show since Ted Lasso but in a dark snarky way

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Citadel, a Russo brothers tv series with 3 seasons already committed to by Prime, debuts April 28. Funny to see Stanley Tucci pop up. Looks like way too much CGI and bullshit to me but that's a matter of personal taste.

Global spy agency Citadel has fallen, and its agents' memories were wiped clean. Now the powerful syndicate, Manticore, is rising in the void. Can the Citadel agents recollect their past and summon the strength to fight back?

7 hours ago, Chopper said:

Citadel, a Russo brothers tv series with 3 seasons already committed to by Prime, debuts April 28. Funny to see Stanley Tucci pop up. Looks like way too much CGI and bullshit to me but that's a matter of personal taste.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/inside-amazon-studios-jen-salke-vision-shows-1235364913/

“All this perpetuation of white guys with guns — it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy,”

Wasn't expecting Full Metal Jacket/ R Lee Ermey meets Farmer's Insurance commercial; but that's what I got in Whiplash, which I watched on a recc from a friend. 

Not the greatest, but certainly found it entertaining.  Of course I recognized some of the tactics from USMC Basic Training, but it was definitely in a different theater, if you will. There's a little Good Will Hunting prodigy in there.  a little Nurse Rachet. A little One on One, if you're old enough to remember that one.

Edited by slorch

Really enjoying “From” - kind of a “Lost” feel set in a small town. People mysteriously drive in to this town and cannot leave and then have to deal with monster zombie/vampires that come out at night. Pulls no punches. You can watch the first season on Prime, new episodes are on EPIX.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/24/2023 at 11:00 AM, wutang75 said:

Really enjoying “From” - kind of a “Lost” feel set in a small town. People mysteriously drive in to this town and cannot leave and then have to deal with monster zombie/vampires that come out at night. Pulls no punches. You can watch the first season on Prime, new episodes are on EPIX.

Really enjoying "from" so far but it's definitely got a Lost feel to it.  

Spoiler

If they're going to pull that bullshit just tell me now so I don't waste my time.  I can just get a bunch of grade schoolers to make up a crazy plot twists with no real explanation.  In case I'm not being clear, fuck Lost.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 11:00 AM, wutang75 said:

Finished season 1. Very well done.