Amazon prime recommendations

Washpark

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

If you like Jeremy Clarkson, Clarkson’s Farm is pretty entertaining. Kaleb steals the show.

If you don’t like Clarkson I can’t imagine why you’d watch.

I started it last night.  First episode was pretty funny. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s fun just to watch Clarkson say “Fuck!” uncensored. And his gf is cute.

But Kaleb is the man, and Gerald is real life UK Boomhauer.

I like it when he says things like, "I'm doing farming" and asks how many boy sheeps versus girl sheeps he will need so he can "sell their babies."

Just finished up third season of Loudermilk and really enjoyed it.  Ron Livingston is a substance abuse counselor.  Written by Peter Farrelly.  Think of a misanthropic Peter Gibbons running AA meetings with typical Farrelly dialogue.

If you watch first ten minutes and don't laugh go ahead and turn it off, because it's not for you.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 3:30 PM, Buzzrock said:

It’s fun just to watch Clarkson say “Fuck!” uncensored. And his gf is cute.

But Kaleb is the man, and Gerald is real life UK Boomhauer.

It's pretty entertaining if you've ever lived on a farm. "I'm losing how much money?"

I started to watch Documental.  Intriguing premise.  Lock comedians in a room for comedic thunderdome.  Laugh and you are out.  Last comic standing wins all entry fees. 

It's Japanese (subtitled for me).

Got near the end of episode two and had to shut it down.  They have a very odd sense of humor.  I might continue watching it later though.  It's strangely compelling.

On 6/16/2021 at 9:52 AM, Not a cat said:

Just finished up third season of Loudermilk and really enjoyed it.  Ron Livingston is a substance abuse counselor.  Written by Peter Farrelly.  Think of a misanthropic Peter Gibbons running AA meetings with typical Farrelly dialogue.

If you watch first ten minutes and don't laugh go ahead and turn it off, because it's not for you.

I quit after 9 episodes. I found myself forwarding too much. It has its moments, but I think it's a little forced. 

6 hours ago, TexPx said:

I wonder if closed captions work on Gerald.

My wife asked about that the other night.  Rather than mess with it, I just said no way.

Finished the series last night.  Just brilliant.  That ending outro made the room dusty. 

On 4/23/2021 at 9:37 PM, pyrohornIII said:

I started watching New Tricks a few nights ago.  I stopped to watch an episode of Endeavor.  While it is good, I went back to New Tricks.  Same sort of Brit copper show, but a different formula.   

Basically, a trio of retired detectives come back as consultants to man a squad assigned to close out cold cases.   It's got some tongue in cheek humor mixed in with the cases.   

I'll finish Endeavor next.  

On 5/5/2021 at 8:46 AM, pyrohornIII said:

Amazon just cancelled New Tricks this past week (which pissed me off), so I moved on the Endeavour.   Just finished season 3.   I have to say they have some nice birds on this show.    Of various ages.   

I finished this damn series.  I should get a medal.  Actually it was pretty good.  They never jumped the shark on plots and when one cast member left, they figured out decent ways to replace them.   Unlike Endeavor, their casting staff did not find very many cute women, though several of the older ones were decent enough.     

I suppose it was good enough, it did run 12 seasons, so someone other than me liked it.

On 6/9/2021 at 8:51 AM, MissingInAction said:

Yea Undergrpund Railroad isn't what I expected at all. Very well done and will probably sweep some awards categories.

This was a lot like Exterminate All Brutes on HBO.  Need to take it in small doses.

14 hours ago, Js1 said:

Tomorrow War. Not great, not terrible. 

As the dad of a young daughter, a few parts got me in the feels.

But really, this thing had a lot of potential, and I kind of wonder if it would have made for a better limited series (say 6 episodes).

But it's a part of the lot of movies that Paramount Pictures shopped around (Without Remorse was in that batch) during the pandemic.

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

As the dad of a young daughter, a few parts got me in the feels.

But really, this thing had a lot of potential, and I kind of wonder if it would have made for a better limited series (say 6 episodes).

But it's a part of the lot of movies that Paramount Pictures shopped around (Without Remorse was in that batch) during the pandemic.

Felt like we were missing part of the story.  The part about his future after getting back made zero sense without explanation. Nothing shown to that point gave you that idea of his character. So the payoff line in that regard felt laughably out of place. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Felt like we were missing part of the story.  The part about his future after getting back made zero sense without explanation. Nothing shown to that point gave you that idea of his character. So the payoff line in that regard felt laughably out of place. 

A Screen Rants pitch meeting skit for it would be hilarious.

It and Without Remorse (and a few others) were supposed to be tentpole movies for Paramount, and I'm thinking that Paramount dodged some bullets on both of them by selling them to Amazon.

Without getting into spoilers, there were definitely things that should have been expanded upon a lot more, but they were what they were in the movie because they had to keep the runtime down, and because the plot had to move along.

If this were based on a sci-fi novel, I'd totally check it out.  But it was a screenplay written by a guy with a couple of shitty credits to his name (and neither of which appears to have made their money back).

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Starship Troopers meets Edge of Tomorrow sort of 

Just watched it. 

It was too cute by half, but it was entertaining.

By my count I think they tried to call back to Terminator, Starship Troopers, World War Z, Predator, Prometheus, and Little Miss Sunshine. 

6/10, would watch again but only if it is being mocked by Masterpancake. 

cant disagree with the didnt hate, didnt like it either post.

minimal show spoiler below... putting in spoiler just to be safe.

Spoiler

there was clearly something cut from the movie to explain why we were presented with the future of Dad suddenly falling apart and going to shit less than 1 year after he jumped forward.  If you paused all the data that came up when he was in the process of being drafted, his wife filed for divorce in 2024.       So the first time travel event was during the Decemeber 2022 world cup.  and it was about a year later that he got drafted. what in the holy hell would have transpired for him to leave his family less than a year later  and to completely abandon his daughter AFTER promising he was nothing like his own father?    even if she cheated on him, he wouldnt have abandoned Muri.   I think there was a whole backstory cut out for the sake of time

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 1:04 AM, Js1 said:

Tomorrow War. Not great, not terrible. 

I watched up to when they got to the DR and he is talking to his daughter. I did not feel compelled to finish it. It is not a terrible movie from what I did watch, but the story just seemed off. The aliens looked almost the same as every other blood thirty group of aliens we have seen in other movies. 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Did future Muri say that Pratt died on her 16th birthday? I think she did, but I was in the bottle last night. I guess he just doesn't get in a car that day, and that future is averted? 

Spoiler

I think so.

however, the whole point of him being in the accident was that he had split up with wife and basically abandoned Muri.... when at 9 years old she was the joy of his life.   so not getting the job doesnt point to a complete and total 2 year spiral that leads to him completley abandoning them.  Ive never been married, but for a person to completely and utterly abandon their family in 2 years, theres only 3 things that could reasonably happen. 

1 is the loss of a child.  which obviously didnt take place in this example.

2. finding out the girl isnt actually his. -and it would have to be that info specifically because even if the wife cheated, his personality didnt seem capable of taking out the wife's posible infedelity on the daughter and just cutting her out. 

and 3.  getting hooked on alcohol/ drugs... and for someone to be that hooked that fast, they dont survive another 5 years as meth heads. 

6 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Hide contents

I think so.

however, the whole point of him being in the accident was that he had split up with wife and basically abandoned Muri.... when at 9 years old she was the joy of his life.   so not getting the job doesnt point to a complete and total 2 year spiral that leads to him completley abandoning them.  Ive never been married, but for a person to completely and utterly abandon their family in 2 years, theres only 3 things that could reasonably happen. 

1 is the loss of a child.  which obviously didnt take place in this example.

2. finding out the girl isnt actually his. -and it would have to be that info specifically because even if the wife cheated, his personality didnt seem capable of taking out the wife's posible infedelity on the daughter and just cutting her out. 

and 3.  getting hooked on alcohol/ drugs... and for someone to be that hooked that fast, they dont survive another 5 years as meth heads. 

Spoiler

That was my big beef with that "plot point". They could have thought of a hundred other deaths for him that would have fit the story better. I do wonder if they were going to try and use the fact that he abandoned his kid to justify letting his own father come around again but they never fleshed it out. It just doesn't make any sense. 

If they wanted to stick with the "he abandoned his family" plot line, they could have portrayed his wife as not wanting him to take the job he was after so then the explanation for them splitting up is he took the job that his wife didn't want him to take and that's why he walked away.  I dunno, there are a bunch of different ways they could have went that would have made more sense. Like someone else said, it feels like something got cut from the movie that would have tied up that storyline.

On 7/2/2021 at 11:23 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

I think there was a whole backstory cut out for the sake of time

I do as well, but folks, don't overthink why he died young in the sacred normal timeline.  They needed him to die, and probably wanted something dramatic versus "some asshole on a phone blew through a stop sign and ran him over".  I think it would have been better to just go with a quick "he died of cancer" or something else that could cut down a young man.

Keep in mind that they can only send people back who were less than 30 years old, and they could only send people forward that died within 30 years (hence their fancy machine that scanned records of when people died and why they weren't able to just send shiploads of people forward at a time), so they needed him dead.

Tomorrow War - it was entertaining. Didn’t hate it, didn’t love it. It was funny 

I think the Spikes were good, maybe a little too good. Meaning they took Aliens and gave them offensive weapons in spike throwing, and the ability to block bullets on this back. But I do think you could do many more movies with them as the threat to overcome, so I would expect a sequel with or without Pratt. 

Pratt doesn’t have the acting chops for some of those scenes. Australian actress does. Also, they should of ended the movie after he returned from the future. The last 40 minutes were slapped together with duct tape. Example, aliens are wiping out humanity in the future, a guy returns with a toxin to kill the aliens, and the Government won’t help him find them in Russia. Come. On.

Yet another gripe/plot hole about tomorrow war

Spoiler

There were something like 10 aliens on the ship that supposedly dug up through the ice as it melted, then reproduced like crazy.  They were lucky enough to get the claw of one of those original 10 that had remnants of volcanic ash so they could pinpoint the location.  

Or maybe I'm missing something, my attention was starting to fade when they had to do it all on their own because the world governments had no interest in solving this imminent extinction event.

23 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Hide contents

There were something like 10 aliens on the ship that supposedly dug up through the ice as it melted, then reproduced like crazy.  They were lucky enough to get the claw of one of those original 10 that had remnants of volcanic ash so they could pinpoint the location.  

Or maybe I'm missing something, my attention was starting to fade when they had to do it all on their own because the world governments had no interest in solving this imminent extinction event.

Spoiler

There were a lot more than 10 aliens. There was an entire colony on the ship. We saw them briefly before the ship exploded. It was alluded to that maybe they bred like crazy since they took over the world so fast. So yeah, they could of got a claw from one of the thousands on the ship. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Not a cat said:

Reveal hidden contents

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

There were a lot more than 10 aliens. There was an entire colony on the ship. We saw them briefly before the ship exploded. It was alluded to that maybe they bred like crazy since they took over the world so fast. So yeah, they could of got a claw from one of the thousands on the ship. 

Spoiler

not that the writers did a great job of explaining shit, but that claw was worn by the guy who we were told was in the first deployment from the past, which I guess implied he was close enough to the fighting to explain how that convienient fact happened......   although thinking about it, hadnt the war been going for 3 years by the time we finally sent fighters to the future?  kinda makes that cooincidence a little too Deus Ex Machina

• Hook 'Em 1