Asian Food - Home Edition

F250

I've been trying to learn myself on cooking various asian dishes lately. I've managed to make a decent Pad Thai and Yakimeshi rice but that's about it. Some unsuccessful dishes so far have been sushi, Pho, pad see ewe.

For me the hardest part has been mastering the rice.

Anyways, please share your recipes and techniques if you have any.

13 minutes ago, F250 said:

For me the hardest part has been mastering the rice.

Anyways, please share your recipes and techniques if you have any.

Every Asian family I know (and since I'm Eurasian, that's a lot of families) just uses a rice cooker. Most of the modern ones have settings for all kinds of rice and even quinoa. Why try to reinvent the wheel?

• Hook 'Em 1

Subscribed. I love cooking asian food at home and focus heavily on Thai, Vietnamese, and Japanese. I don't know that I can offer tips but I'm definitely going to follow along. 

I will say that Pho with a pressure cooker is suuuuuper easy. To the point that if I have all the stuff, I have no problem making it at home on a weekday after work. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

This is the tits, and is on my regular rotation now:

https://therecipecritic.com/2013/03/slow-cooker-general-tsos-chicken/

I add chopped red bell peppers, broccoli, and zucchini in the last hour.

This is pretty good and ridiculously easy: https://therecipecritic.com/2015/03/slow-cooker-honey-teriyaki-chicken/

Also, add vegetables in the last hour.

I bought this for my wife for Christmas about 15 years ago, and it's one of the best presents I've ever given:

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/simply-thai-cooking_byron-ayanoglu_wandee-young/326388

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Washpark said:

rice cooker ftw.

get an instant pot to make broth for noodle / pho dishes. Bought bones from central market and cooked for 2 hours. Just add onion, fish sauce, and salt.

cub06p5.jpg

Just needs some jalapenos.

1 hour ago, F250 said:

What are some of the ingredients y'all keep in the pantry? I have experimented with some sauces and pastes. Fish sauce isn't as bad as it sounds but it can get funky if too much is used.

Fish sauce, various Thai curries, chili oil, sesame oil, roasted sesame oil, various Asian vinegars, furikake, palm sugar, couple types of rice, rice flour, lots of coconut cream and milk, soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, sriracha. .

In the freezer I keep ginger, galanagal, lime leaf, and Thai chilies. 

I also enjoy going to the Asian markets up at 183 and Lamar and just grab random stuff (roasted garlic/shallots/onions, noodles, sauces, etc). 

• Like 1

Pad Thai

I have never been able to find bean sprouts other than the canned shit.

Ingredients for Pad Thai sauce
4 TBS palm sugar or brown sugar
1/4 cup fish sauce
1 TBS tamarind paste
1/4 cup sambal oelek

Ingredients for Pad Thai
Grapeseed or canola oil for sauteing
chicken breasts
1 tb sliced shallot
1/4 cup green onions, cut into one inch long pieces 
1 tablespoon chopped salted radish
Rice stick noodles (about a small handful, 2-4 oz. per person)
1/4 cup plus 2 TBS water
1 cup fresh bean sprouts
1 tb sugar
2 eggs
2 cloves garlic
2 tbs chopped roasted peanut

Pad Thai Sauce
- Make tamarind juice from the tamarind concentrate by adding 1 tb concentrate to 1/4 cup water, then stir.
- Measure and set aside fish sauce and siracha.
- In a small pan, melt the palm sugar on low. Once they the palm sugar has started to soften, add the fish sauce, tamarind juice, and sambal oelek. Continue to break up the palm sugar and stir.
- Bring the liquids and melted palm sugar to a boil, then remove from heat.

Cooking Instructions:
- Rinse the radish under cold water, then squeeze out the water. Chop the radish, add a little bit of sugar to it.
- Soak the rice stick noodle in hot water for about 15 minutes.  Leave in water until you are ready to use, but do not over soak or you will end up with mushy noodles.
- Add 1 tb oil to wok, bring heat to medium-high.
- cook chicken
- Add radish and shallots and saute for a few minutes until the aroma releases.
- Turn up the heat. Add soaked noodles, then add 2TBS water. Stir-fry until noodles soften, about   5 minutes.
- Push noodles to side of wok, cook eggs quickly.
- Add 1/4 cup of Pad Thai Sauce, stir and mix throughout.
- Add sugar, chives, bean sprouts and cooked chicken
- Combine well for another minute or two.

Edited by mycox
  • Like 2

Also part 2

I love this recipe to highlight fish sauce.

Some friends, wife and I took a cooking class from Jam from Thai-Fresh (highly recommend). I can't find her recipe but it was my favourite dish and something I make regularly. She added equal parts shrimp to the pork to this recipe and went heavy on the fish sauce. Use shallots instead of scallions. It's amazing. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

I'm still into Szechwan.  Other than Mala in Houston you don't see it as much. Mrs. Chiang's Szechwan Cookbook is a great intro to Szechwan home cooking.

Check out Pepper Twins. I haven't treid Spicy Girl in Midtown yet.

16 hours ago, Washpark said:

rice cooker ftw.

get an instant pot to make broth for noodle / pho dishes. Bought bones from central market and cooked for 2 hours. Just add onion, fish sauce, and salt.

cub06p5.jpg

Very interested in this.  Made a few batches of pho lately and one was awesome and one kind of sucked.  I think it was the difference in the bones as the shitty one had this weird hint of grossness (by the smell) came from the meat.  So, what kind of bones do you use? How many when making this in an instant pot?

10 hours ago, Call said:

Bulgogi. 

Anyone got a preferred recipe?

INGREDIENTS
  • ¼ pear, grated
  • 1 garlic clove, grated
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon gochugaru (coarse Korean hot pepper flakes), or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 tablespoon grated peeled ginger
  • 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 pound boneless pork loin, trimmed hanger steak, boneless short rib, or skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
  • Kosher salt
  • Sliced scallions (for serving)
  • Combine pear, garlic, soy sauce, gochugaru, ginger, sugar, and sesame oil in a large resealable plastic bag or medium bowl. Using a sharp knife, slice meat into very thin strips. Add to marinade, seal bag, and squish everything around until the meat is coated. Let sit at room temperature 30 minutes, or chill up to 8 hours.
  • Heat 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high until oil is shimmering. Remove half of meat from marinade, letting excess drip back into bag; season lightly with salt and cook in a single layer without moving until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Toss meat and continue to cook, tossing occasionally, until cooked through and crisp at edges, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil, remaining meat, and more salt.

• Serve topped with scallions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forty Acres said:

Very interested in this.  Made a few batches of pho lately and one was awesome and one kind of sucked.  I think it was the difference in the bones as the shitty one had this weird hint of grossness (by the smell) came from the meat.  So, what kind of bones do you use? How many when making this in an instant pot?

1.5lbs of pork bones. we went higher quality on the bones as we didn't trust the ones from H mart or other asian grocery stores.  It was enough broth for 6 servings. 

want to try in a pot next time but that requires 12+ hours of cooking. 

6 hours ago, HouTex said:

I'm still into Szechwan.  Other than Mala in Houston you don't see it as much. Mrs. Chiang's Szechwan Cookbook is a great intro to Szechwan home cooking.

Chengdu Taste in Chinatown, which is an import from LA. The WaPO food critic Tom Siestema called the LA location one of the best restaurants in the country. The Houston location was very good the one time I went. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Also, I recommend using Vietnamese over Thai fish sauces. Especially if it's new to you. It's more balanced and a bit sweeter. Thai is somewhat saltier. 

Red Boat is the best fish sauce I've come across. It's made in Vietnam but it is Thai in style -- not sweet at all. To me Vietnamese fish sauce is way to sweet and not nearly salty enough. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Fish sauce, various Thai curries, chili oil, sesame oil, roasted sesame oil, various Asian vinegars, furikake, palm sugar, couple types of rice, rice flour, lots of coconut cream and milk, soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, sriracha. .

I also enjoy going to the Asian markets up at 183 and Lamar and just grab random stuff (roasted garlic/shallots/onions, noodles, sauces, etc). 

This is a good list. I assume you mean kaffir lime leaves.  I would add lemongrass (can be kept in freezer), gochugang, Thai shrimp paste, tapioca flour, Kewpie mayo. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

This is a good list. I assume you mean kaffir lime leaves.  I would add lemongrass (can be kept in freezer), gochugang, Thai shrimp paste, tapioca flour, Kewpie mayo. 

Yes. 

And good addition of lemongrass in freezer. Didn't think of that one in the freezer for some reason. Though it keeps a while in the fridge as well. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

I've been using this recipe for Chili Shrimp for a few years. I think it's based on Singaporean chili crab, but I've also seen variations that are allegedly Szechuan. Doesn't seem very Szechuanny to me, but you never know. It's delicious, anyway, and when the garlic-shallot-ginger-pepper mixture hits the hot oil the smell is fantastic.

Chili Shrimp

1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled
3 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly crushed
2 shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
4 fresh small chilies like Thai, or seeded and stemmed dried red chilies or dried red chili flakes to taste
3 tablespoons corn, grapeseed or other neutral oil
2 tablespoons tomato paste, or 1 medium tomato, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 to 1 1/2 pounds small peeled shrimp.

1. Mince ginger, garlic, shallots and chilies in food processor.
2. Put oil in wok or large skillet and turn heat to medium-high; a minute later, add minced spices and cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds.
3. Stir in tomato paste, lime juice, nam pla, soy sauce, sugar and 2 tablespoons water. Add shrimp and coat with sauce. Cook just until sauce is bubbling and shrimp turns pink, about 5 minutes.
4. Serve over rice or noodles.

Hard learned pho lessons: 

the noodles in pho used to come out wrong for me - then I discovered the pink and green bags (fresh noodle in the refrigerated section).  Fucking impossible to pull apart for one serving but worth the headache.  Also I got one of those noodle cooking baskets.  Boil way more water than you think you need so it keeps boiling even after you put in the noodle.

Also, dont just put noodle in the broth (terrible mistake)  You have to cook it separately then reheat it in your broth.  I am not a chemist - don't know why you just do. 

Good way to recycle leftover smoked brisket - makes pho amazing. 

Instant broth is OK if you dont have time to boil bones all day - but you need a little fat in the broth and dont skip the star anise and rock candy...those two seem most important. 

holy fuck could that tiny photo be any bigger?  how do we adjust that here?

NJchN1d.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/26/2018 at 7:51 PM, SmokeyTheBear said:

This....

Will post it later after work .... Make a thai red curry pretty regular

So the curry i make is pretty simple at home....i use a 12 inch high sided skillet for one pot cooking.

Start with half a stick of butter.when melted add a healthy amount of red curry spice atleast 2 tablespoons. Pretty much making your own paste.medium hi heat fyi

Then add your sliced raw ckn/pk...i go pork most often. Stir and brown it on both sides. Then you add some minced garlic and fresh grated ginger. Let all that go for like 2 mins then add your can of coconut milk and a little fish sauce(i just pour from bottle so like one good glug)

You may then add whatever veggies you like. I go with baby corn, bamboo shoots ,chiles and half a shaved yellow onion 

Reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins and finish with some thai basil and fresh lime juice before serving

• Like 1

My Ex had some stuff in the cupboard that she would only get when my mother took her to non-chain Asian markets (e.g. not 99 Ranch, H Mart etc.) A lot of those things I didn't even know the English name for, but were used when she made dishes my mother taught her. Not weird ass things you'd get from an herbalist or anything like that, just stuff/brands I don't think the big chains carry.

2 hours ago, ShouldaMarriedAStripper said:

My Ex had some stuff in the cupboard that she would only get when my mother took her to non-chain Asian markets (e.g. not 99 Ranch, H Mart etc.) A lot of those things I didn't even know the English name for, but were used when she made dishes my mother taught her. Not weird ass things you'd get from an herbalist or anything like that, just stuff/brands I don't think the big chains carry.

Nice insight bro....glad to know there are weird asian ingredients

One of the family's favorite dish to cook at home and is fast is shaken beef or Bo Luc Lac. Get a beef tenderloin (Asian markets have frozen ones for $25), remove silver skin and dice into 1" cubes.  Marinate in some Ponzu, garlic, oyster sauce, a little sugar and salt.  Separately, thinly slice a purple onion and marinate it with about a cup of rice wine vinegar and a teaspoon of sugar.  This becomes the salad dressing.  On a platter, lay down a bed of spring mixed greens and then a layer of thinly sliced Roma tomatoes on the greens.

Fire up the wok.  (Most stoves can't get a wok hot enough but I picked up a commercial grade food stall wok burner when I lived in Asia that gets up to 30k BTU's). Get the wok smoking hot - I mean where the steel turns red and then toss in the beef (but not the liquid that it was marinating in as that will boil the meat) and stir and shake (hence the name) the beef constantly.  3 minutes should get you a good m. Rare cook.  Take the hot beef and dump in on top of the tomatoes and greens.  Place the pickled onions on the beef and then drizzle the rice wine marinade the onions were in over the whole thing.  Ring dinner bell...  

my wife likes to make a dipping sauce for the beef - combine lime juice with white pepper in a little bowl...

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Dang, awesome thread. I'm just 4 years late.

For rice cooker I can't recommend the Zojirushi enough. I've bought 3. 

For tom yum soup I cheat and get a paste in a bottle from my local asian grocery store. Same with tom kha soup. 

Thanks for the note on differences between vietnamese and thai fish sauce. 

2 hours ago, kilroydos said:

I'm trying the Momofuko bo ssam tomorrow night.  It's curing now, so I'm crossing fingers that it comes out alright.

Let us know how it comes out and upload some pics. Tried it about a year ago and didn’t quite come out like I hoped so need to try it a second time.

6 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Got a recipe for the wonton noodles? 

I do not. I've never attempted it as I'm not the type of cook who want to wrap wontons, dumplings or egg rolls. That was always my sister's job when we were growing up. 🤣

• Like 1

Regarding rice cookers. I’ve posted this elsewhere before but if you’re going to buy a rice cooker, get one with a lid that detaches completely for ease of cleaning. I mistakenly followed the advice of America’s Test Kitchen and purchased one with a lid that’s connected on a hinge and that makes cleaning it more of a pain. I didn’t even think of that when I bought it but I’d definitely choose a different one next time.

I like the convenience of the rice cooker but I can cook rice just fine in my little enameled Dutch oven and that’s really easy to clean. I only use the rice cooker when I’ve got too much else cooking on the stove to deal with a pot of rice. One of the nicest things about the rice cooker is that it keeps the rice hot and steamy for a long time. Perfect if you’re running a restaurant. But if you’re just making stir-fry for one then it’s really not necessary.