Asian Food - Home Edition

F250

On 3/26/2018 at 9:02 PM, mycox said:

I have never been able to find bean sprouts other than the canned shit.

I’m replying to an ancient post here but this is kind of weird. Fresh bean sprouts should be easy to find all year round. You grow them indoors in the dark. The canned ones do suck. I can’t find them in the general grocery stores nearby nor even in most of the specialty markets. I have one Asian market nearby that always has them. I don’t understand why they’re not everywhere.

20 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Regarding rice cookers. I’ve posted this elsewhere before but if you’re going to buy a rice cooker, get one with a lid that detaches completely for ease of cleaning. I mistakenly followed the advice of America’s Test Kitchen and purchased one with a lid that’s connected on a hinge and that makes cleaning it more of a pain. I didn’t even think of that when I bought it but I’d definitely choose a different one next time.

I like the convenience of the rice cooker but I can cook rice just fine in my little enameled Dutch oven and that’s really easy to clean. I only use the rice cooker when I’ve got too much else cooking on the stove to deal with a pot of rice. One of the nicest things about the rice cooker is that it keeps the rice hot and steamy for a long time. Perfect if you’re running a restaurant. But if you’re just making stir-fry for one then it’s really not necessary. 

the Zojis have a lid liner, so you just remove that and toss it in the washer

5 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Let us know how it comes out and upload some pics. Tried it about a year ago and didn’t quite come out like I hoped so need to try it a second time.

Will do.  It's in the oven now, so hopefully by 4, it'll be ready for the final blast.

I got rid of the rice cooker years ago when I sort of went kitchen minimalist. The downside is that I can only guarantee perfection if I have a 3 quart sauce pan, and I have to cook exactly 2 cups of uncooked rice at a time, no more, no less. The upside to that downside is that there is always plenty of cooked rice left over, which means my next day fried rice game is top notch.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Gen. Applewhite said:

I got rid of the rice cooker years ago when I sort of went kitchen minimalist. The downside is that I can only guarantee perfection if I have a 3 quart sauce pan, and I have to cook exactly 2 cups of uncooked rice at a time, no more, no less. The upside to that downside is that there is always plenty of cooked rice left over, which means my next day fried rice game is top notch.

Would Uncle Roger approve of this fried rice???

Fried Rice Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

We thought the bo ssam turned out really well. The outside was on the edge of being too salty, but it worked well in combination with the rest of the roast. The ssamjiang I bought and dressed up with sesame oil and some seeds. My wife also has a complete inability to correctly estimate the limits of any food wrap.

with onion.jpeg

lettuce.jpeg

pickles.jpeg

big wrap.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7

On 3/28/2018 at 11:00 AM, beer said:

Hard learned pho lessons: 

the noodles in pho used to come out wrong for me - then I discovered the pink and green bags (fresh noodle in the refrigerated section).  Fucking impossible to pull apart for one serving but worth the headache.  Also I got one of those noodle cooking baskets.  Boil way more water than you think you need so it keeps boiling even after you put in the noodle.

Also, dont just put noodle in the broth (terrible mistake)  You have to cook it separately then reheat it in your broth.  I am not a chemist - don't know why you just do. 

Good way to recycle leftover smoked brisket - makes pho amazing. 

Instant broth is OK if you dont have time to boil bones all day - but you need a little fat in the broth and dont skip the star anise and rock candy...those two seem most important. 

holy fuck could that tiny photo be any bigger?  how do we adjust that here?

NJchN1d.jpg

Don't ever completely boil the pho noodle.  Fill up to half.  The dry noodle absorbs the flavor.  After it boils you aren't absorbing flavor anymore.  Use pho broth separately just enough to soften noodle.  After that pour over.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/26/2018 at 7:43 PM, CooterBrown said:

Hot Thai Kitchen

Check out this YouTube channel for accessible Thai cooking. The chick is a smoke show along with being a great cook. 

Fwiw, I’ve got two videos bookmarked for this dish (which goes by various names...when I first had it it was called Prik Khing (“Gaeng”) Gai). I haven’t checked out her other videos but the one I have from her seems a little more tedious than the other.

Then there’s this guy’s:

I just follow his recipe for the most part. I use Maesri brand curry paste.

Kitchn_Tastemaker_PrikKhingCurryPaste_57

I’ll add a decent splash of Red Boat fish sauce. About a tsp of turbinado sugar, and a tsp or two of this:

015D5E4D-A3AA-48F2-B2BD-2459DA6956D3.thumb.png.1f48d237d427c87a9124af77d16d77b6.png

I don’t care much about what kind of beans I use, I just use whatever looks best. I know a market that carries kaffir lime leaves but they don’t have them right now. So I use regular lime leaves then remove them like bay leaves and just add a spritz of lime juice and it tastes awesome. It’s really insanely easy.

D5240740-B6E3-47C9-9D93-E4A30DABB465.thumb.jpeg.86f2bad8960397aca448e70f0c874e9d.jpeg

71C3AB7C-06E7-4295-AF0D-1CCFBB34A5CE.thumb.jpeg.81e5fb410cf2ff3e0ee907ccc4992e6e.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Seemed like the right thread to dig up -- there's going to be a second H Mart in Austin, on Burnet where the old "Savers" used to be (the same center with Sue Patrick, Chilantro, etc.).  https://www.kvue.com/article/money/economy/boomtown-2040/h-mart-austin-burnet-location/269-9f302a17-8272-4487-87e7-5674fb76cfdb

Excellent news.  I'm a fan of 99 Ranch, but this will be even a little close to us, I think.  I like H Mart, just don't make the drive out past Lakeline very often.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Seemed like the right thread to dig up -- there's going to be a second H Mart in Austin, on Burnet where the old "Savers" used to be (the same center with Sue Patrick, Chilantro, etc.).  https://www.kvue.com/article/money/economy/boomtown-2040/h-mart-austin-burnet-location/269-9f302a17-8272-4487-87e7-5674fb76cfdb

Excellent news.  I'm a fan of 99 Ranch, but this will be even a little close to us, I think.  I like H Mart, just don't make the drive out past Lakeline very often.

Sweet. Right next to my doctors office. 

3 hours ago, Dry Elbows said:

Recipe for dan dan noodles?

Minced Pork

• 1/2 ground pork
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon Shaoxing rice wine
  • 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 2 minced cloves of garlic
  • Let marinate for 10 minutes
  • Heat pan on medium heat and add 1TB of neutral oil and cook
  • Finish off with 1/2 TB of shaoxing and soy sauce each

Soy Sauce Mixture

• 3 TB soy sauce
  • 1.5 TB sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine
  • Add ingredients to saucepan and mix.  Slowly heat to the point where all the sugar has dissolved and remove from heat.
  • Can make more of this and save in the fridge for future use

Putting together the bowl

• 1 TB of sesame paste
  • 2 TB of the soy sauce mixture
  • 2 TB of chili oil and sichuan pepper powder (more on this in a bit)
  • Mix these together thoroughly in your serving bowl
  • Add freshly cook wheat noodles (I get the fresh shanghai noodles from 99 ranch)
  • Add Minced Pork on top of noodles
  • Sprinkle some chopped green onions on top

Mix and enjoy.

About the chili oil and sichuan pepper powder.  You can either make this or buy at an Asian store.  I personally don't like Sichuan pepper because of the numbing sensation. So I substitute with a chili oil I get at 99 ranch which I provided a picture of below.  I also provided a picture of the sesame paste I use.

IMG_20200712_121154.thumb.jpg.c9b9bece54c2cad4bb2b397792ce55ec.jpg

image.png.5c78a41763aeca10a2820ee91abbf91b.png

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/22/2022 at 7:31 PM, CoachTex said:

20220522_180929.thumb.jpg.033f9b97afe54000b9fb8b20e3d6ea07.jpg20220522_180935.thumb.jpg.bb119fd9f55a86782c35219076a6d489.jpg

Fried rice and teriyaki pork sticks.

During the pandemic I started doing my own hibachi style fried rice and teriyaki chicken/shrimp, etc. since I couldn’t go to the sit-down restaurant. Here’s just rice and chicken. Sometimes I do veggies too, just zucchini planks and onion since that’s all they do at my favorite restaurant. And I like things like broccoli and mushrooms that come with the veggies at other restaurants. But Fujiyama was my first and I like them the best and why go to all that extra bother?

E1BB6BCC-49B6-494C-9DC1-DC4E4E4D3D64.thumb.jpeg.85fade32b8f7fa8cdf1b4f599b5c2a82.jpeg

I’ve been cooking more rice lately. Sometimes I’ve cooked rice twice in one day. I’ve cooked it pilaf style on the stove while making it plain in the rice cooker just to store in the fridge to make fried rice the next day. But that’s beside the point.

I wanted to try to recreate the ginger dipping sauce they have at Fujiyama. I’ve tried a few recipes I found online. I’m not even sure how close I got. I don’t think I can even remember what the kind they have at Fujiyama tastes like, which is great. But this stuff is really good too and it certainly suits my needs. I generally don’t stick to recipes from allrecipes.com but this is addictive enough. I follow thecrecipe exactly except I add a little more ginger. It calls for 1 Tbsp of ginger and I’ll make a double recipe with 3 Tbsp of ginger. I use 2 large cloves of garlic for a double recipe, more if they’re small. I’ve played around a little bit and like it better with white wine vinegar than with rice wine vinegar. But mainly I just use plain white distilled vinegar. That works just fine.

It’s best to make it a day in advance. While it sits, the tiny little grains of puréed ginger will absorb the liquid and thicken the sauce. It will stick to your food better. It’s also great for just dipping raw broccoli as a snack. The florets really grab ahold of the sauce. It doesn’t hurt to experiment with mixing in a dash of sesame oil if you’re in to that sort of thing. Some of the recipes I tried had too much onion or too much lemon. I like the balance of this one. It’s quick and easy.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/52572/ginger-dipping-sauce/

• Hook 'Em 4

On 2/28/2023 at 12:32 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

I wanted to try to recreate the ginger dipping sauce they have at Fujiyama. I’ve tried a few recipes I found online. I’m not even sure how close I got. I don’t think I can even remember what the kind they have at Fujiyama tastes like, which is great. But this stuff is really good too and it certainly suits my needs. I generally don’t stick to recipes from allrecipes.com but this is addictive enough. I follow thecrecipe exactly except I add a little more ginger. It calls for 1 Tbsp of ginger and I’ll make a double recipe with 3 Tbsp of ginger. I use 2 large cloves of garlic for a double recipe, more if they’re small. I’ve played around a little bit and like it better with white wine vinegar than with rice wine vinegar. But mainly I just use plain white distilled vinegar. That works just fine.

It’s best to make it a day in advance. While it sits, the tiny little grains of puréed ginger will absorb the liquid and thicken the sauce. It will stick to your food better. It’s also great for just dipping raw broccoli as a snack. The florets really grab ahold of the sauce. It doesn’t hurt to experiment with mixing in a dash of sesame oil if you’re in to that sort of thing. Some of the recipes I tried had too much onion or too much lemon. I like the balance of this one. It’s quick and easy.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/52572/ginger-dipping-sauce/

Thanks for posting.  The Fujiyama ginger sauce is the tits.  I'll give this a shot.

I am guessing most on here aren't familiar with this, but I grew up eating Shrimp and Lobster Sauce, Boston Style.  I was taught this dish came in NY style which was a white sauce and Boston style which is a dark sauce.  Really simple dish but quite delicious.  The key to making it like they do in Boston is using Molasses in the sauce.  I will put a link to the recipe I use from an old restaurant in Boston called Kowloon's.  I don't add the egg and I use a black bean garlic sauce that I buy at the grocery store Asian section. Once the sauce is done just add the shrimp and cook a few minutes until done.  You can also add cooked lobster pieces to this sauce instead of shrimp.  Throw some sliced green onions on top when serving. This is a really popular dish in Boston Chinese restaurants and the best way I can describe it is it's like a ground pork chili consistency but with shrimp in it also (it doesn't taste like chili though).  Serve it over roast pork fried rice and add some chow mein noodles on top and it's fantastic.  

Kowloon's Lobster Sauce (From Kowloon's of New England Ma) Recipe - Food.com

Shrimp and Lobster Sauce Boston Style.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I’ve never had this Boston style dish but will try it. I grew up on the white style Shrimp in Lobster Sauce that was part of the family dinner for four that also had MooGoo Gai Pan and sweet and sour pork with pork fried rice. It was my old man’s favorite.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/1/2023 at 9:22 AM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I am guessing most on here aren't familiar with this, but I grew up eating Shrimp and Lobster Sauce, Boston Style.  I was taught this dish came in NY style which was a white sauce and Boston style which is a dark sauce.  Really simple dish but quite delicious.  The key to making it like they do in Boston is using Molasses in the sauce.  I will put a link to the recipe I use from an old restaurant in Boston called Kowloon's.  I don't add the egg and I use a black bean garlic sauce that I buy at the grocery store Asian section. Once the sauce is done just add the shrimp and cook a few minutes until done.  You can also add cooked lobster pieces to this sauce instead of shrimp.  Throw some sliced green onions on top when serving. This is a really popular dish in Boston Chinese restaurants and the best way I can describe it is it's like a ground pork chili consistency but with shrimp in it also (it doesn't taste like chili though).  Serve it over roast pork fried rice and add some chow mein noodles on top and it's fantastic.  

Kowloon's Lobster Sauce (From Kowloon's of New England Ma) Recipe - Food.com

Shrimp and Lobster Sauce Boston Style.jpg

Andy Wong approves!

• 4 months later...
Was reminiscing about the old Mandarin House on North Lamar that we used to hit up back in college. Decided to try to make Shi Zi Tou (Lion's head meatballs).
PXL_20230305_200418558.thumb.jpg.7f52f30ea876738c4f242f0066de086f.jpg
PXL_20230306_004118516.thumb.jpg.acb9a3a3d77c2e72427a172bb73619bb.jpg

Seven Spice on Spicewood Springs makes these, and they may be the best thing on the menu. They’re incredible.
  • Hook 'Em 1