Pocket knife, fixed blade, machete, tomohawk all encompassing thread

Hopefully this one won't get away from me quite like the "throwing axe" thread on Shag 1.0.

Monster got his Totin' Chip on the Troop campout this past weekend & now he's hot to get his own hatchet.

gerber-bear-grylls-hatchet..jpg

Wondering if this Bear Grylls item ($ 30) is OK as a starter or this Schrade "full tang" item for a similar price point:
shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4eHyk1IjgIMYwT181j

Maybe I should step up his game & get him something better quality like the Schrade Tactical Hatchet Full Tang - SCAXE5 for $ 65.00

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGhjYc0K58qyaEp8mE0

Of course he's not going to be permitted to simply walk around the house with this however I do want to expand his back country inventory.

Shag 2.0 thoughts?

Edited by ROFL BOX
  • Like 1

First, congrats to Monster on earning the right to play with knives.  Incidentally, do they still cut corners of the card when someone catches you screwing around with a blade?

Seems like there's a decent chance that whatever you get him now he'll also own as an adult, so I think I'd skip the Bear Grylls just because I'd be suspicious of the quality.  

Of the two Schrade, I think it'd come down to which style you think he'd prefer.  Since I'm kinda old now, my tastes tend to lean more toward a classic look so I'd vote for the black one.

If you're open to some other more of a "classic" option, here's a couple I'd like to own.

Ruthe 21 for about $22

IMG_3962.jpg

https://www.knifecountryusa.com/store/product/213704.213727/ruthe-21-hatchet-with-hickory-handle.html

or Snow & Neally Penobscot Bay for about $56 or so.  This one's been on my list for awhile now.

IMG_3961.jpg

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/products.php?mi=25201&title=Snow & Nealley Penobscot Bay Kindling Axe&itemnum=33086

Definitely will do the cover & holster combo; not interested in any improper cuts & of course a sharp blade (axe, hatchet OR knife) is safer than a dull one.

He got his Whittling Chip as a Bear in Cub Scouts (under my eyeballing his efforts) & yes, we still do "cut corners" - after the 4th nipped occasion, the Scout has to go through the program again & recertify for the card.

4 hours ago, Chewy's Hairy Horn said:

This hits close to home. My first Knife as a Cub Scout.  Still makes it into my pocket knife rotation.

IMG_9968.jpg

Almost cut off my thumb with a version of that.  I was probably 8 and still have a 1 inch scar.  Luckily the bone stopped the blade.

• Like 1

Tapa won't allow me to put separations between the pics; hopefully the full hatchet pic will align & make sense that it matches up with the next pic or 2 prior to another hatchet & the following features photo.2ab381a8ced19d1671311920196c77ff.jpgc28e664ba31ce8e07346d590475fabd2.jpgba1697ab78423b39499bf806a6c6a0e4.jpgad9638fb9285e0e8d946056c2c9d7190.jpgc09c1a167c4fbcd5a8d2db9888eb160a.jpgfd44c327e0b9cc6448ddb0193e522347.jpg263e72deab51a9a19e3ce64d38d5cb51.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My Thoughts are the CRKT looks the best balanced.  The Eastwing looks the most durable but the metal handle may negatively affect rotation.  The Magellan just looks ugly and the way the weight is concentrated close to the handle looks like it won't rotate well.  

Edited by TexasEd

A tomahawk won't quite cut as well as a dedicated hatchet, but it feels better balanced in the hand since it is weighted for throwing instead of chopping wood. That heavy CRKT hawk may feel a bit more like a hatchet. The big plus of a tomahawk, besides the fun you have throwing it, is that you can easily make a new handle from a sapling with just the blade if your handle breaks while you are out in the sticks.

On 3/27/2018 at 7:31 PM, Chewy's Hairy Horn said:

This hits close to home. My first Knife as a Cub Scout.  Still makes it into my pocket knife rotation.

IMG_9968.jpg

I went straight to the full-on Scout knife.  Bigger!  Moar blades!  But I now own an old Cub Scout knife and it's probably gotten more carry time than the full-size Scout did.  Great little design.

My hunting knives. My wife somehow stumbled into buying me this clip point 8-9 years ago and the S30V heat treated steel is awesome. I went thru 3-4 deer before it needed sharpening. I bought the fillet for more detailed caping and deboning, works great. The coating is unnoticeable to the touch, but very effective, no rust.

b4dd5400625152143a7e84ba9238ab7b.jpg

• Like 2

I'm traveling to Orlando tomorrow for business and am planning on swinging by Randall Made.  I was there a few years ago but they were in the process of moving into the new museum so I didn't get to see any of that.   

I was able to pick up a nice Model 16 - SP1 that someone had ordered but they couldn't contact - happens a lot when there is a 5 year backlog.   Hoping to make another score this time.  :)  

15 hours ago, Duckman said:

I'm traveling to Orlando tomorrow for business and am planning on swinging by Randall Made.  I was there a few years ago but they were in the process of moving into the new museum so I didn't get to see any of that.   

I was able to pick up a nice Model 16 - SP1 that someone had ordered but they couldn't contact - happens a lot when there is a 5 year backlog.   Hoping to make another score this time.  :)  

Sweet.

http://www.swordcane.com/countrycane.htp 

Long time lurker on the old site, decided to join the fun on the Surly rendition.

Bought the cane sword that is shown in the link. It is really sturdy and the craftsmanship is top notch.  Use it for hiking and walking the dog at night, though not intended as a self defense weapon. I have used the blade only a time or two, both on small rattlers that were too close to the house for comfort. 

Mr. Burger was  super nice to deal with and they custom make their canes to your height.

Not only did he make em, but he forged and heat-treated the blades.  That's some pretty hot shit, imo (I realize it may not be all that difficult, but my hat is off to someone willing to give it a go).  And by most measures, a hand-forged to shape blade, done reasonably well, will outperform a mass-produced blade made from whatever super steel you want to name.

Take a look at the requirements to be labeled a Journeyman Smith or Master Smith by the American Bladesmith Society.  http://www.americanbladesmith.com/index.php?section=pages&id=172

For example, the test blade must cut through a free-hanging 1" diameter rope in one whack.  Then, the blade must be used to hack through a 2x4, twice, without nicking or chipping or otherwise deforming.

And it still must shave.

Then it must be bent 90 degrees, three inches from the tip, without breaking or chipping.

Insane.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not only did he make em, but he forged and heat-treated the blades.  That's some pretty hot shit, imo (I realize it may not be all that difficult, but my hat is off to someone willing to give it a go).  And by most measures, a hand-forged to shape blade, done reasonably well, will outperform a mass-produced blade made from whatever super steel you want to name.

Take a look at the requirements to be labeled a Journeyman Smith or Master Smith by the American Bladesmith Society.  http://www.americanbladesmith.com/index.php?section=pages&id=172

For example, the test blade must cut through a free-hanging 1" diameter rope in one whack.  Then, the blade must be used to hack through a 2x4, twice, without nicking or chipping or otherwise deforming.

And it still must shave.

Then it must be bent 90 degrees, three inches from the tip, without breaking or chipping.

Insane.

holy shit. i got my work cut out.

my heat treating has gotten better. might try this test with a mower blade forge. i got tons of those and dont have beat on them so damn much. 

i need a trip hammer to save my arm.

anybody got one they want to give away?

17 hours ago, llanoflash said:

sure.. i would sell some if i thought they were good enough.

most of the stuff i make looks like shit (to me anyway) and i just give them away.

just a brain occupying hobby that i really like..

those two you posted pics of i would be proud of.  they most certainly do not look like shit.

• 2 weeks later...