Portland

workswithseed

Andy Ricker of Pok Pok will be making the wings at the Hot Luck Festival in April...if you're going, you should put a bug in his ear to open a Pok Pok here.

FRIDAY FOOD EVENT, MAY 25: Night Court

Venue: Fair Market
Doors open at 6:00PM. 
Night Court is inspired by the magical dietary phenomenon known as The Mall Food Court – a place where we’d share food, gossip and draw ‘emojis’ IRL. With big hair. Before cell phones. Before internet! Take a trip back to your favorite mall food courts of yesteryear where our chefs will grace you with their takes on the gnarly bites you remember so fondly. P.S. phones allowed #hotluck #nightcourt

The Lineup:
Chad Dolezal (The Hightower), Todd Duplechan (Lenoir), Bryce Gilmore (Odd Duck), Sarah McIntosh (Epicerie), Laura Sawicki (Launderette), Philip Speer (Bonhomie), Jason Stude (Boiler Nine), John Tesar (Knife), Justin Yu (Theodore Rex), Ivan Orkin (Ivan Ramen), Andy Ricker (Pok Pok), Joshua McFadden (Ava Gene) - Food and refreshments are included with ticket
Edited by CooterBrown
your mom likes it.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I've going to Portland this Summer. Can't wait. 

Which brewery should I visit? Top 2 or 3 in Portland?

Breakside

Great Notion

Hopworks Urban 

Laurelwood

Best kept secrets are in Vancouver WA.(10 min away from downtown PDX)

Trap Door

Brothers Cascadia

Loowit

make some great beer

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Breakside

Great Notion

Hopworks Urban 

Laurelwood

Best kept secrets are in Vancouver WA.(10 min away from downtown PDX)

Trap Door

Brothers Cascadia

Loowit

make some great beer

These and I would add in Cascade too if you like sours. ANd Hair of the Dog as well. 

Edited by shnsajax

1 hour ago, The Other White Meat said:

I'm headed there next month. Any cideries worth hitting?

Some friends took us to Schilling Cider House off Belmont. There's a Cascade Brewing across the street as well. Lardo is not far, down 12th on Hawthorne. 

Edited by mdmost

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Headed to PDX and Oregon in July with the wife. I've never set foot in the state and am just beginning to do research. Any recs on the best neighborhood in portland to be a tourist in? 

How about the rest of the state...any strong feelings about visiting any of the towns on the coast?

7 hours ago, Chopper said:

Headed to PDX and Oregon in July with the wife. I've never set foot in the state and am just beginning to do research. Any recs on the best neighborhood in portland to be a tourist in? 

How about the rest of the state...any strong feelings about visiting any of the towns on the coast?

What are the parameters of your trip?  It’s a big state(not TX big of course) with a variety of climates.

tourist sights?, outdoor?,urban?,.....???

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

What are the parameters of your trip?  It’s a big state(not TX big of course) with a variety of climates.

tourist sights?, outdoor?,urban?,.....???

Urban and coastal town...wife mentioned going to Portland, seeing the coast and maybe Bend. I think we'll have a week. Doable?

portland to bend is 3.5 to 4 hr drive.  It is a scenic drive over the cascades(mountain range) and really could be a whole day itself if you wanted to do some hiking, sightseeing on the way.

portland to coast is 1.5-2hrs.  Also a scenic drive over a mountain range(coast range, much smaller) and could be a whole day.

You could do both, but will have alot of windshield time in the 1 week.

July could be a mixed bag on the coast.  It would be a very high chance of clear and sunny in Bend.  Portland summers are known to start around 4th of July and you should have great weather in portland.

For my money a great day trip is out to The Dalles(Columbia River Gourge) and back.  Take interstate 84 out and come SR 14(Washington side of Columbia back)  Stops: (in no specific order) Bonneville Dam, VistaHouse , Multnomah Falls, eat lunch/dinner at Pfreim(Hood River) or Everybody(Stevenson, WA) or any of a number of other quality breweries on that route.

• Like 1

Bend in the summer is going to hot but it will be a dry heat.  
The coast is going to be much cooler.  If it gets over 75 or so that's rare.   I would head out there.  As others have said, Cannon Beach is really worth it.

Cannon Beach/Manzanita is awesome, if you want to sit on the beach and relax I would do that. Bend is great if you are in to beer, and the McMenamins hotel in Bend is awesome. Lots of bar hoping, and plenty to hike.

Cannon Beach in mid July - any need for AC? Found a bungalow available at Ocean Lodge but they specify no AC, in contrast to the main guest rooms with ocean views (none available). My guess is AC is no big deal right on the OR coast but since the hotel is making an issue of it, thought I'd ask one of you. 

15 hours ago, Big Jake said:

Flying in to Portland next week. 

Looking for steak/seafood and cocktails one night and breakfast one morning  

Any other suggestions besides Canards and Mothers (both look good)?

Steak: Ringside, Laurelhurst Market, El Gaucho

Breakfast: Pine State Biscuits, Tasty and Sons

Edited by Incredulity

On 3/26/2018 at 9:27 PM, markstanco said:

Beginning May 13th, Meriwether's will be TEMPORARILY closed while we build a new rooftop restaurant next door to our existing building (which will be used for Private Events going forward).  Tentative re-opening is Spring if 2020.