Portland

workswithseed

• 1 month later...

There is an open air Thai restaurant on the north/east side of Portland across the river that’s really great.

i forgot the name of it because i got drunk af on cloudy sake and then walked across the street to the smoke shop and got into some crazy stuff.

had so much fun I had to leave the rental car parked on the street and Uber to the hotel for a nap.

Bend is worth the trip.  I was eating lunch at this restaurant and bullshitting with the owner and I told him I was from Texas.  He said “I used to have some restaurants in Texas...”. I asked him which ones?  He said “mccormick and schmicks.”  Because I’m an asshole I said “are you McCormick or Schlick? “. He said “I’m bob McCormick.”

Pine tavern bend Oregon.

On 6/4/2018 at 1:15 PM, Jfoster said:

If you go to Cannon Beach you should go ahead and head up to Astoria, especially if you are a fan of the Goonies.  Several good breweries in Astoria, with Fort George being my favorite. 

Be aware that they don't let you anywhere near the Goondocks house anymore.

The week in Portland and Cannon Beach was awesome. Wish we had more time...couldn't get rez for Le Pigeon so I don't think I hit up any of the recommend places. So much good food though. Ended up moving from The Sentinel hotel to The Nines due to construction noise. Strong rec for The Nines. If you have Amex platinum, The Nines is a good spot to use the FHR benefits -- Urban Farmer steakhouse in the lobby and an asian restaurant and bar on the roof with outstanding views. The omakase at Bamboo sushi was excellent. In Cannon Beach, the combo hardware store and restaurant (Cannon Beach Hardware and Public House) was legit. 

Tried to go to the new Tillamook Dairy creamery (just opened a couple weeks ago) but it was a total zoo so we bailed. 

Oregon coast is an amazing vacation spot. But it's funny how many people looked at me like I was crazy when I told 'em I was a little weird for taking a summer vacation there. Lol

• Like 1

Just got back from a week in Portland. 

Cannon Beach - worth it. Beautiful. Chilly so bring a sweatshirt or long sleeve shirt. 

Deschutes River - guided fishing tour. Expensive but awesome. 

Multnomah Falls - have to do it. Crowded. 

Latourell Falls - less crowded, get way closer to Falls. Loved it 

Portland City Grill - best place we ate. Yeah it’s pricey because of the 30th floor view, but worth it. 

Salt ans Straw - great ice cream. Had some Ramen next to it that was also very good. 

Hubers - we thought this place sucked. “Oldest restaurant in Portland”. Pass

Mother’s Bistro - good brunch spot. 

Lot of homeless people. Like way too many. Every block there are multiple homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk. It’s off putting

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Just got back from a week in Portland. 

Cannon Beach - worth it. Beautiful. Chilly so bring a sweatshirt or long sleeve shirt. 

Deschutes River - guided fishing tour. Expensive but awesome. 

Multnomah Falls - have to do it. Crowded. 

Latourell Falls - less crowded, get way closer to Falls. Loved it 

Portland City Grill - best place we ate. Yeah it’s pricey because of the 30th floor view, but worth it. 

Salt ans Straw - great ice cream. Had some Ramen next to it that was also very good. 

Hubers - we thought this place sucked. “Oldest restaurant in Portland”. Pass

Mother’s Bistro - good brunch spot. 

Lot of homeless people. Like way too many. Every block there are multiple homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk. It’s off putting

All the big west coast cities are waist deep in homeless and don’t seem to care.  Portland, San Diego and Seattle are so different than they were 10 years ago in regards to homeless camps it’s depressing.

Was there two weekends ago before speding a week at Black Butte Ranch. Spent most of my time on Mississippi ave because the friends we were staying with lived right off of it and om saturday they had the Mississippia st street fair. 

Tasty N Sons was definitely the highlight eating wise. Also enjoyed breakfast at Pine State Biscuits. I found Pok Pok to be overpriced for what you got. Had a few Pliny’s at Interurban and drank some high end bourbon for way cheaper than what you can get it here at a few different spots. 

Seems like a great place to live. 

Edited by Firemans4Horn

10 hours ago, Incredulity said:

All the big west coast cities are waist deep in homeless and don’t seem to care.  Portland, San Diego and Seattle are so different than they were 10 years ago in regards to homeless camps it’s depressing.

We saw a homeless couple with a toddler. It was really sad. I felt bad for the businesses too. (Yes I know how that sounds) but some addict sleeping 2 feet from the front door of your ice cream shop doesn’t really help. 

I don’t know the solution. I’m sure it’s a complicated issue. 

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

We saw a homeless couple with a toddler. It was really sad. I felt bad for the businesses too. (Yes I know how that sounds) but some addict sleeping 2 feet from the front door of your ice cream shop doesn’t really help. 

I don’t know the solution. I’m sure it’s a complicated issue. 

I have personally witnessed a homeless guy take a crap right in front of entrance door to a 7-11 in downtown Portland at like 5pm(end of day rush).  Store franchisee was hitting the guy with a broom and he wouldn't stop.  Store owner obviously beside himself was ranting and raving about how the city won't do anything about it.  

And these homeless camps are NOT remotely nice and tidy either.  Every one has a massive perimeter of junk, debris and filth.

Edited by Incredulity

Two of my favorite meals in Portland were also the cheapest. Nong's Khao Man Ghai began as just a food cart but now has a brick and mortar. We went to the location on 13th Ave. They basically do one thing (thai style chicken and rice) and they do it well. Also at the Rose Garden there's a small Olympic Provisions food cart where they were grilling 3 different types of sausages and offer an impressive selection of relish.  

Yeah, the homeless situation bothered me...it was much easier to ignore the problem when I was younger. I don't think I could live with that much of a homeless problem around me on a daily basis. 

Edited by Chopper

On 7/26/2018 at 11:57 PM, shnsajax said:

I’m still in awe of the Spaghetti Factory having at 30,000+ sqft location on the river in downtown Portland. How the fuck they can afford that I have no idea selling $12 plates and drinks.

They have to own the land.   It's been down there since I was a kid in the 70's.  And it's usually fairly busy too.  

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/4/2018 at 3:11 PM, Jfoster said:

Not that it matters that much, but I think this picture is from the Pacific City location.

Mattered to me dammit.  Went to the Cannon Beach Location and it was terrible.  :(

Wife and I just got back from Portland.

Events:

McMenamins Crystal Ball Hotel - Cool boutique hotel

Pelican Brewery - Cannon Beach, OR. Felt like a chain restaurant tourist trap in Cancun.

Tillamook Cheese - Tillamook, OR.  Big cheese museum with huge lines for ice cream and snacks.  It's packed, but worth the stop. 

Back Pedal Brewery - They do those bike around town crawlers, but you can't drink on them.  Their beer was good though.

Pok Pok - Northern Thai. Really good but kinda salty

Nong's Khao Man Gai - Just stumbled upon this place after wanted to go to the Ramen place next door.  Laid back spot with chicken and rice. It was great.  For what it was, I liked it as much as Pok Pok. 

Japanese Gardens - Overrated

Timberline Lodge - Featured in the Shining.  Had a great view of Mount Hood.  Worth the stop.

Cannon Beach - Beautiful

Astoria - Apparently the owner of the Goonies house is over the movie and won't let anyone up there.

Bowery Bagels - New York Style bagel joint.  You can't find a good New York bagel in Austin.  This place satisfied my craving for gravlax. 

Bible Club - Speakeasy set in an old house.  At first entry, it feels like you are walking into someone's house unwelcomed, then you open into a prohibition style cocktail bar.  It's about 15mins from downtown Portland but really cool.

PDX Sliders - Next door to the bible club.  I was starving.  It was Meh. 

Joes Donut - Sandy, OR.  Exclusively cake donuts.  It slammed. 

Went to Portland for a couple of days and loved it.  Fantastic city.

Tried a vietnamese place downtown called Luc Lac which was really good.  

My sister tried Blue Start Donuts and wouldn't go again.  Nothing too special about a $4.00 donut I guess.

The food scene looked really good.

Went through Powell's books downtown.  Pretty amazing for a book store.

Cannon beach area was really nice, but very overcast and hazy when we went.

I absolutely loved the city and will go back again for sure.  Seemed like a great place to live......

except for the crazy number of homeless people.  It strikes me as worse than SF, but I haven't been to SF in a while.  I guess the difference is that in SF, they are sleeping on a bench or in an alley, where as in Portland, they pitch tent communities complete with their requisite cubic yards of garbage and bicycles with no wheels etc.  downtown they are just laying all over many of the street corners etc.  I get it.  If I were homeless, Portland is where I'd want to be.  

Had the misfortune of taking a longish train ride into town and a clearly homeless black guy decided the seat next to me was the seat he needed despite the train being 80% empty.  Smelled odd, then I understood why.  He started eating bell peppers out of a paper bag and telling me that every man wanted Nicki Minag (dont' disagree) and how he's a Crip for life.   

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 8:45 PM, Incredulity said:

Skip Mary’s.  Uber to the Acropolis 

Was at The Acropolis once, girl dancing in front of me asked, "Are you ready?", then put one leg straight in the air and pulled herself wide open with the two rings she was pierced with, down there. 

19 minutes ago, Deej said:

Was at The Acropolis once, girl dancing in front of me asked, "Are you ready?", then put one leg straight in the air and pulled herself wide open with the two rings she was pierced with, down there. 

Sounds like my kinda girl.

• 8 months later...

Departure restaurant was nice, on the roof of the Nines. Gorgeous evening to sit on the 15th floor patio with views of Mt St Helens. Gourmet family style, much of it from sous vide. Pretty hip slick and cool place.

Dungeness Crab roll

Smoked octopus

Raw Tuna poke

Pork belly

Pork rib sliders

Crusted pork chop

Smoked chicken

Outstanding wine/sake list. I had coffee all day because see the alcoholic thread. I was designated driver and wife, sis, and BIL enjoyed lots of alcohol today.

Did Multnomah Falls this morning, of you go get there before 10am or parking will be challenging. Very crowded but well worth it.

Lunch at pFriem Family Brewers in Hood River. Nephews waded in the Columbia and played on the playground while we waited for a table.

Cider at the Gorge White House, very scenic, pastoral vistas. Then stopped at the Vista House and enjoyed elevated views of the whole Columbia gorge before returning to happy Valley to drop the kids (heh heh) off before heading downtown for dinner.

Wineries tomorrow.

That salt and straw ice cream, off Division. Thanks for the rec, it was great. Strawberry and balsamic and pear blue cheese ice creams.

Didnt get to Pok Pok but that whole neighborhood looked neat.

22f7f1c6827111913a3044d3618d5b5b.jpg617fc258e040d46c230cc11df95f100b.jpg

I had no idea Oregon's wine country was so beautiful.  Wonderful day.

Since I don't drink I drove and took notes.

Sokol Blosser - wonderful tasting room, excellent wine.  Curled up in a rattan papa san chair and had the most wonderfully relaxing nap in the sun.  Girls said best overall wine quality across all varieties.

Stoller Estate - definitely the largest, most crowded, and "biggest" place.  I know this sounds weird but I walked out to the back yard got the feeling that I was in a place very similar to Augusta National, in terms of grandeur.  According to the girls, the wine was good.  Lunch was a charcuterie board and pulled pork sliders, but I think this was a memorial day thing.  This place would be the best for a catered event, like a rehearsal dinner.

Youngberg Hill - most dramatic vistas, great wine. They had a live shaggy bevo.

Coeur De Terre - wife says it's the best Pinot she's ever had.  Very nice people, wonderful views.

Drove back through Portland to Happy Valley and stopped into https://electriclettuce.com/location/happy-valley.  Bought the wife infused drinks and edibles.  Gonna look at another thread to determine if I should just bring them back to Texas on the plane, or have my sister mail them to us.  Fuck Texas and dumb laws, it's the only thing that gives my wife relief from pain.

We did pass the Evergreen Flight Museum and though I'm saving that trip for next visit, they have the actual Spruce Goose plane.  Should be a fun outing for my BIL and nephews next trip out here.

Headed there Monday for work but should have some time to explore/eat/drink. 

I will be staying near the convention center, so any reccs close by are appreciated. 

Also looking for any hiking/trail opportunities in the area.  Probably can’t get too far out of the city but I know there has to be something fun and semi-forresty nearby. 

You are close to the Belmont area which has some good bars. As does the Pioneer area across the water.

It wouldn’t be Surly if I didn’t tell you to hit up a strip club to find something fun and semi-foresty in Portland. All nude and liberal.

54 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

You are close to the Belmont area which has some good bars. As does the Pioneer area across the water.

It wouldn’t be Surly if I didn’t tell you to hit up a strip club to find something fun and semi-foresty in Portland. All nude and liberal.

The is a black chick that usually has a vibrator on her hands at Casa. She's a freak.

23 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Also looking for any hiking/trail opportunities in the area.  Probably can’t get too far out of the city but I know there has to be something fun and semi-forresty nearby. 

On a clear day the Rocky Butte hike is worthwhile.   It is one of the extinct? volcanoes within the city.   I am sure Forest Park and West Hills have some good hikes too but I haven’t done any of them.   This should be a good resource: Oregonhikers.org Portland & Willamette Valley hikes

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Going to cannon beach tomorrow for my brothers wedding. Hope someone says they are too so i can find a surly poster I didn’t know about. Anyway, read the recs but most were from last year. Anything change in cannon beach in a year that I should know about? Or any other good recs for romantic shit. 

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn

1 minute ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Going to cannon beach tomorrow for my brothers wedding. Hope someone they are too so i can find a surly poster I didn’t know about. Anyway, read the recs but most were from last year. Anything change in cannon beach in a year that I should know about? Or any other good recs for romantic shit. 

Well if you look when low tide is, you can go to to Haystack rock and check out the Tide pools.

• Like 1

Going to cannon beach tomorrow for my brothers wedding. Hope someone says they are too so i can find a surly poster I didn’t know about. Anyway, read the recs but most were from last year. Anything change in cannon beach in a year that I should know about? Or any other good recs for romantic shit. 

Just hit up Pelican Brewing.
  • Like 1

Boom boom throwing out rep here. To add, will have a couple of “off” days from the wedding. Have the girlfriend with me, any places/things to do say within an hour that’d be worth it that maybe has been said and highlighted again or hasn’t been said yet? Can you ride horses on a beach around there? Anything like ATV’s? Looking into the hiking that was discussed earlier. 

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

Will do man, if you come down to Portland we need to get drinks.

Thanks for the assistance I’ll dm for any questions. I’d anymore suggestions come up, lemme know. I’ll be in pdx tomorrow morning with the avatar so look for the avatar. Can’t miss that. Yes, she’s just the avatar.