YETI Cancels IPO

Those of us who support the NRA don't give a fuck about nuance.  A discount program, all association...doesn't matter.  We reject ANY infringement on gun rights, and any movement away from the NRA is a political statement that you support gun confiscation.  Ergo, go fuck yourselves.  
Lol can't tell if serious

Just now, Foosters said:
4 minutes ago, PilotsError said:
Those of us who support the NRA don't give a fuck about nuance.  A discount program, all association...doesn't matter.  We reject ANY infringement on gun rights, and any movement away from the NRA is a political statement that you support gun confiscation.  Ergo, go fuck yourselves.  

Lol can't tell if serious

I'm assuming it's not serious, but I'm not sure which would be funnier.

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

Hey look, it's a real life example of how imbeciles think!

• Like 2

Someone in Yeti marketing probably sent out an email blast to all the non-profits they work with with some boiler plate statement about discount program changes without giving it a second thought, then were shocked when the NRA put their shit on blast over the weekend. Dumb move on Yeti's part since Delta just went through the same thing with the National Snowflake Association.

Getting back to the IPO...  This is a great article about YETI.  This was in their hayday but it's still a good read and has some good points.

https://www.inc.com/magazine/201602/bill-saporito/yeti-coolers-founders-roy-ryan-seiders.html

There's not much Yeti can do about Cabela's aping its product, but it can find other retailers. It now has the money and staff to target more segments and broader audiences. And for a company its size, Yeti's product line is a relative minnow. One of the strategic issues Reintjes and the Seiders brothers face is whether to take the Yeti brand into even more distant territory. Yeti boats? Kayaks? Clothing? "Yeti started as a product company," says Reintjes. "One product. What we've seen in recent years is that it's become a product brand. It has a lot of product stretch."

And Yeti definitely wants to stretch, both the product line and the territory. While continuing to expand its Hopper and drinkware lines, Yeti is doing a deep dive into new product categories and in the process expanding its product development team from 20 to 55 people by the end of 2016. As for geography, the company has plans to begin rolling out their products to selected international markets.

As Harley-Davidson has shown, a brand that becomes tribal can be enduring. "When you slog through the land of branding, you can become jaded by the sheer exponential power of what a brand can do," says Siegel+Gale's Srere, "and then, every once in a while, you see it and bang! That's what Yeti's got. That's what Harley-Davidson's got." Cortec's Schnadig knows it too. "This won't happen again in my career," he says.

Your translation app must be broken.
The NRA's statement makes no rational sense (as noted by the numerous "why would you do this from a business perspective, Yeti?" posts). They didn't tell the whole story. Yeti had to chime in and fill in the gaps. I don't think this is a case of backpedaling and trying to cover up a mistake.
Perception is reality. And the reality is, Yeti fucked up.

5 hours ago, PilotsError said:

5 hours ago, TornACL said:

When was the NRA taken over by a bunch of hysterical women?

quoted for truth

3 hours ago, Heavy 6 said:

They also backpedalled when they put up their no carry signs at their retail store.  

Well that changes things...makes the NRA's interpretation a lot more believable. 

If you put up 306 stickers...and you're tied to guns / hunting / whatever market...then you deserve the bankruptcy coming your way. 

CHL holders are less likely to commit a crime than police officers...statistically speaking.   You've bought into the #FullRetard anti-gun position if you put up an no carry sticker on your business. 

I'm looking forward to Yeti's bankruptcy sale. 

• Like 1

Is it that unbelievable that a company headquartered in Austin, Texas would be anti-NRA, anti-2nd Amendment, or just itchy to irk righties to get a giggle out of fellow lefties? Ending a discount program is totally blowing the situation out of proportion, except it is likely execs at Yeti did feel that way which gives Yeti a lot less benefit of the doubt. The execs fucked up by not realizing (or caring) about that aesthetic. 

• Like 1

Yeti is an interesting product.  It pisses off a lot of people that their items are priced so high when deep down they really want the product.

How much are the Stanley coffee Thermos guys kicking themselves? They have been doing vacuum sealed products for what 40 years?  Why didn't they think of making a 30oz stainless steel tumbler?

For the record, I am not a Yeti fan boy and I don't own any Yeti coolers. I bought the RTIC roadie & the 45 when they went on that crazy sale last year.  And I have since sold both on FB.  For as heavy as they were, I didn't think either kept ice that long.  My favorite cooler is the Polar Bear soft 20 cooler.  I have one from a Texas Exes Houston Chapter fundraiser which means it's the only one like it versus my friends that have the same looking Yeti Hopper...

Then wait till it's done.  Look, if it comes out that "the NRA is a willing collaborator with the Russians to interfere with the American electoral process," THEN you drop 'em like a hot potato.

Dude your CRIs high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

NRA is turning into a shakedown artist in terms of themselves or their members: pay us or we will declare you anti 2A.   Won’t be long until they start actively asking for new programs to benefit their members.   

Hmmmmm....where have we seen this tactic before....

• Haha 1

Considering that (depending on the stats one cites), anywhere from 25 to 50 percent of all American households own at least one firearm, and considering that that makes total owners somewhere between 90 million and 180 million individual people at least, the NRA with only about 4 million people represents the "minds of the gun culture" about like Charlie Strong's 3 years represent "the tradition of Texas Longhorn football."

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 2

NRA might be politically relevant but they're not commercially relevant at all.  They only have a few million members, if that.  There might be some people who "support" the NRA but weren't members but they weren't buying $500 coolers anyway.

My wife’s 92 year old grandma and 70 yea old aunt just joined the NRA because Fox News told them to. Seriously. Neither has ever owned a gun, or probably been more outdoors than a city park.

YETI Congress needed a 51% Red sign from TABC.  Posting the metal engraved 30.06 (before the 30.07 was relevant, IIRC), irked a lot of CHL holders, which is one of the target demos IMO.  I still say fuck them for the right turn lane that disappeared when they moved in, but I understand that's not exactly their fault, as much as it's the city reclaiming public roads to create park space.  

My biggest question is why the hell their PR gurus sat on this one all damn weekend before FINALLY putting their rebuttal out on TWITTER?  They could have jumped on it Friday afternoon after the news came out, put something out there.  This stinks more of a bad business decision by an exec, followed by someone trying to stop the bleeding but needing approval before going public with it.

3 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

YETI Congress needed a 51% Red sign from TABC.  Posting the metal engraved 30.06 (before the 30.07 was relevant, IIRC), irked a lot of CHL holders, which is one of the target demos IMO.  I still say fuck them for the right turn lane that disappeared when they moved in, but I understand that's not exactly their fault, as much as it's the city reclaiming public roads to create park space.  

Doesn't the YETI store serve beer? Does that impact the CHL?

34 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

in fact, i'm running after work to buy another yeti tumbler.  good on them.

Not a member of the NRA, but I will go to Walmart, buy an Ozark Trail tumbler, and take the $22 I saved and put it towards some ammo. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i own 3 guns and i am not a member of the NRA.  i don't care for the NRA because they are fucking batshit crazy.  don't lump all gun owners as fanatical 2A nutjobs.

in fact, i'm running after work to buy another yeti tumbler.  good on them.

Yep, good product (especially the Lowball) + Austin folks = I'm still in

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don’t buy Yeti because you can buy equivalent quality at half the price.  

This right here.

Also, Dear NRA, go back to doing the below more, and chill on the batshit.

NRA:
Founded to advance rifle marksmanship, the modern NRA continues to teach firearm safety and competency. The organization also publishes several magazines and sponsors competitive marksmanship events.[8]

Edited by Jimbaround

On 3/26/2018 at 11:43 PM, TKthunder2 said:

Unless they can innovate and come up with another reason for people to replace their $500 cooler with a newer model they’ll never strike it rich.

They could find a way to put wheels on the fucking things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

They could find a way to put wheels on the fucking things.

Fucking this.  I have one (my wife got it for me as a gift -- not what I would have suggested, but I'm hard to shop for), and it's a pain in the ass to haul anywhere.  And wheel kits for them are like $150.  Ridiculous.

On 4/23/2018 at 9:13 AM, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....I can't see how this was an intelligent BUSINESS move.

Look, I'm an outdoorsman, I'm their target market.  I haven't been a fan of the NRA for a while now (it ain't the NRA of my youth), but I damned well know that the overlap between "outdoorsmen" and "NRA fans/members" is pretty high.

This is one of those cases where Yeti would have been wise to just keep their trap shut, and not take ANY position.  I really don't get it.

aggy Bid'ness School