YETI Cancels IPO

I have two Yeti 35's.  But fortunately I got them for free from my wife's company.  They have a stupid winery logo on them, but I just threw stickers over that and it is good to go.  I lash it to the deck of my boat and put all my drinks in there so I can leave the fridge for food only, which saves a shitload of space.  I can add ice once or twice in a week to the cooler and I'm good to go.

53 minutes ago, tucker said:

I don't get all the hate for Yeti. It is good for Austin if they IPO especially for the start-up ecosystem. 

IIRC they pulled their NRA discount after parkland...  so the hook & bullet crowd went full retard (which was kinda their core market)

Good products that have been easily knocked off.  I have Ramblers and like them.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 2/23/2019 at 6:53 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Would love one of those in the coffee size.

I drink coffee out of a  Hydroflask (which I actually think is a much better product than Yeti)....  Hydroflask stuff feels more solid and I haven't been able to break any of their stuff, even with big drops.  I've busted 2 Yeti Ramblers...  Yeti did not Honore their warranty because I bought them from an unlicensed dealer... a little company called Amazon

https://www.hydroflask.com/22-oz-tumbler/color,lava,a,92,o,54

Edited by Loco
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Loco said:

I drink coffee out of a  Hydroflask (which I actually think is a much better product than Yeti)....  Hydroflask stuff feels more solid and I haven't been able to break any of their stuff, even with big drops.  I've busted 2 Yeti Ramblers...  Yeti did not Honore their warranty because I bought them from an unlicensed dealer... a little company called Amazon

https://www.hydroflask.com/22-oz-tumbler/color,lava,a,92,o,54

I have both and you're right. At least as far as keeping ice. I've left both in my car in the Louisiana summer and the Hydroflask gets a few more hours of kept ice than the Yeti. They're both pretty fucking impressive though when you're talking about a cup. 

• 8 months later...

I'm enjoying my tumbler but I'm starting to think those YETI stickers on the back windows of Tahoes are our generational equivalent of a Pontiac with

"OAKLEY:  Thermonuclear Protection"

on the back window. 

Edited by Lobo

That's regarded. Three quarts more than the Tundra 65, 5 pounds heavier, and more than double the price. And that review is equally as regarded. Let's compare two coolers that aren't really even close to the same size, and repeatedly acknowledge that there is a clear discrepancy in ice-to-volume ratio that makes the "test" completely flawed. 

4 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I dont know why anyone is buying yeti shit anymore. rtic and others make essentially the same thing at 1/2 the price. $800 for a cooler. bwahahahahha

why do people buy $3000 watches when a $25 timex does the same thing equally well. how do stores like neiman marcus still exists? 

cause market segmentation. yeti is a lifestyle brand. they've curated an image to the brand. you think yeti, and you immediately think outdoors. plus there are people who will pay a premium for the name, just like people who pay premiums for clothing or watch labels.

is the yeti model sustainable? i don't think anyone has the answer to that. i'm surprised they are still around, but good for them. 

3 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I get what you are saying, but typically there is somewhat of a correlation between quality and cost in those name brands. 

i agree but there reaches a point of marginal utility. nothing tells time better than quartz. run electricity through it, it'll vibrate at a constant rate and it's accurate as shit. the $1000+ mechanical watches uses hundreds of moving parts to do the same thing, not quite as well. but people gladly pay $1000+ for the miniscule subpar performance. 

tesla have mediocre to shit reliability. so does mercedes and bmw relative to other manufacturers. but people still pay a huge ass premiums to drive cars with those badges.

the question is yeti a compelling enough brand that people will continue to pay the premium when there is no obvious quality difference over brands which cost considerably less?

• Like 2

I'm admittedly a Yeti snob.  Prior to the IPO, I had an "in" to employee pricing, and since then, I still get a pretty decent discount.  I have far more Yeti coolers, drinkware an swag than I should.  But, I just don't get this V-series cooler.  I'm sure it holds ice like a champ, but my two big hang ups are:

-How is that exterior going to hold up over time?  My rambler is dinted and dinged from drops and bumps.  What is a cooler going to look like after I accidentally swing it into my tow hitch or a half cord of firewood in the back of my truck slides and hits it?

-Isn't it going to be hot as shit in the Texas sun?  I wouldn't want to sit on that thing in shorts when it's been in the August sun all day. 

3 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

That's regarded. Three quarts more than the Tundra 65, 5 pounds heavier, and more than double the price. And that review is equally as regarded. Let's compare two coolers that aren't really even close to the same size, and repeatedly acknowledge that there is a clear discrepancy in ice-to-volume ratio that makes the "test" completely flawed. 

did @Brisketexan test it's dependability as a place to sit ?

1 hour ago, Spaulding Smails said:

-How is that exterior going to hold up over time?  My rambler is dinted and dinged from drops and bumps.  What is a cooler going to look like after I accidentally swing it into my tow hitch or a half cord of firewood in the back of my truck slides and hits it?

I dropped a rambler once (with no dings or scratches) and it broke the vacuum.   Others are OK, but they are not super durable IMHO

18 minutes ago, Loco said:

I dropped a rambler once (with no dings or scratches) and it broke the vacuum.   Others are OK, but they are not super durable IMHO

this is what i do not understand. not only with yeti rambers but with all double walled vacuum sealed bottles and mugs. 

how the fuck do you break the vacuum seal if you do not puncture the stainless steel wall? i've had a ss double walled water bottle or two vacuum seal fail. neither had any punctures. how does it break, science you asshole?

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

cause market segmentation. yeti is a lifestyle brand. they've curated an image to the brand. you think yeti, and you immediately think outdoors. plus there are people who will pay a premium for the name, just like people who pay premiums for clothing or watch labels.

You're right about curating, and quite successfully, a lifestyle brand.  But I have never heard of anyone, including myself, who sees/thinks "YETI" and associates it with the outdoors.  I mean yeah, the coolers are typically found outside of the walls of buildings.  But is not an outdoorsman/sportsman brand, IMO.  Fishing trips, backwoods camping, hiking, etc...these are not places I see Yeti products.  Tying up on the Highland Lakes, yes---YETI all the way.  But I never, ever see their product in the real outdoors.  Probably because it weighs so fucking much.  But as you said, more power to 'em...nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American Land Rover driver. 

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

this is what i do not understand. not only with yeti rambers but with all double walled vacuum sealed bottles and mugs. 

how the fuck do you break the vacuum seal if you do not puncture the stainless steel wall? i've had a ss double walled water bottle or two vacuum seal fail. neither had any punctures. how does it break, science you asshole?

It did break (probably at the seam, you just can't see it...

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You're right about curating, and quite successfully, a lifestyle brand.  But I have never heard of anyone, including myself, who sees/thinks "YETI" and associates it with the outdoors.  I mean yeah, the coolers are typically found outside of the walls of buildings.  But is not an outdoorsman/sportsman brand, IMO.  Fishing trips, backwoods camping, hiking, etc...these are not places I see Yeti products.  Tying up on the Highland Lakes, yes---YETI all the way.  But I never, ever see their product in the real outdoors.  Probably because it weighs so fucking much.  But as you said, more power to 'em...nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American Land Rover driver. 

i watch a lot hunting and fishing shows, many on youtube. whether by coincidence or paid sponsorship by yeti, most of those shows have yeti coolers in the boats or in the back of the trucks.