LSU is going in dry

texifornia

The meltdown if Jimbo left A&M for their “rival” would be even bigger than the SEC announcement. That being said I’d prefer he stay in College Station with his antiquated offense. He leaves they’d probably just promote Elko who may actually hire a good OC. Smart move for LSU would be to hire Aranda. He has Baylor looking good this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

The meltdown if Jimbo left A&M for their “rival” would be even bigger than the SEC announcement. That being said I’d prefer he stay in College Station with his antiquated offense. He leaves they’d probably just promote Elko who may actually hire a good OC. Smart move for LSU would be to hire Aranda. He has Baylor looking good this year.

I'd roll the dice on Napier, but Aranda probably has the inside track. (Bonus Baylor tears)

Depending on what Urban does, and whether or not they are dumb enough to bite on Jimbo. Got the whole Jimbeaux thing would get annoying fast. 

4 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I think one or two people may have opined that Texas possibly “dodged a bullet” after Urban hired the racist from Iowa and Charlie Strong and brought the Tebow circus to Jacksonville. Since then WTB reflexively posts this anytime Urban is mentioned. 

You’ve got it backwards. I’ve seen many people post it and I rarely comment on it. 

1 hour ago, naija said:

it's the guarantee. can they commit to 10 years? no doubt they can pay it if it was just a matter of what the number is on a yearly basis (they've casually agreed to swallow Orgeron's contract without blinking after all). it's a new AD and maybe a new line of thinking but that institution seems to like the ability to make a change swiftly. guaranteeing $100M would put a cramp in that.

but who knows in this crazy world of CFB salaries.... and if it happens, we will all have A&M to thank for unleashing a different kind of madness

They'll bank on the new SEC deal getting them more money.

If Aggy were smart (they're not), they'd let Jimbo walk but instead they'll give him more money, like $12M/yr or something and they'll still be 8-4 every year.

https://footballscoop.com/news/ed-orgeron-lsu-buyout-17-million

Ed Orgeron's final scheduled game at LSU will come in a bowl game around the holidays, but he will remain on the university's payroll well beyond this winter. 

LSU formally announced Orgeron's coming departure on Sunday, formalizing an agreement that began following the club's 42-21 loss to Kentucky last Saturday. 

"We have very high standards for all our sports programs at LSU, and we will stand proudly behind our expectations of competing for SEC and national championships year in and year out," AD Scott Woodward said in a statement. "Our last two seasons have simply not met those standards, and based on our on-field results and our evaluation of the potential for future immediate success, it is time for a new direction." 

Orgeron and Woodward sat side by side at a press conference Sunday evening, and both sides portrayed the coming split as amicable. "Ed Orgeron is a friend. We are Louisiana guys through and through," Woodward said. "I love LSU," Orgeron said. "I have no regrets. I know I went to work and tried as hard as I could every day, and that's all you can ask." 

A large part of the reason this split is so friendly is because of the money. Orgeron has been fired without cause, meaning he will receive just south of $17 million paid in installments spread from Dec. 15 of this year all the way through December 2025.

Orgeron said, as of today, he does not plan to coach next season. He'll take some time to unwind, spend time with his three seasons. "I think I'll have me enough money to buy a hamburger," he said. 

o-buyout.webp

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

It's Louisiana.  They will take federal highway funds and divert it to the LSU athletic department if necessary to pay Jimbo.

So it’s going to be the battle of the highway funds vs the hurricane relief funds.  

My money is literally on both but I think more of it goes to ongoing highway funds, therefore I pick LSU to win that battle.  

if you’re competitive you set your self up to win.  At aggy neither gene stallings nor fucking Bear Bryant could win a title.  LSU has has Leslie Miles and Ogre win in the past 15 years.   There’s no competition.

LSU was paying ogre 1.5M more than Jimbo, and while they won’t give him 10 years, if they decide they want him aggy is shit out of luck.  

1 minute ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Wouldn't this be Tuckers 3rd team in 3 years? That would be crazy. If I was LSU brass, Aranda would be my first call, followed by Fickell, and then Napier. From what I have heard Brady does not want to come back to the college ranks.

Why would he? He’s well on his way to NFL leadership with way better talent to play with. 

13 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Jimbo isn't going to LSU. He's getting free money from a school that realistically will never win a championship or make a playoff appearance. He's set for life. 

Woodward will still call. You never know. I don’t think he 100% thought Kim Mulkey was going to pick up the phone and listen to him pitch her on leaving the school where she won 3 titles.  Relationships matter. 

Just now, Js1 said:

Woodward will still call. You never know. I don’t think he 100% thought Kim Mulkey was going to pick up the phone and listen to him pitch her on leaving the school where she won 3 titles.  Relationships matter. 

That is true regarding Mulkey, and I absolutely agree with you that they're gonna give him a call, I just don't think he would entertain it since LSU is like us, you win or you GTFO. Aggy doesn't care in the slightest. 8-5 is their standard   

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

lol @ Mel Tucker. I mean, I could be surprised but we’ll see 

Actually, I was wrong before when I said that heard on the local radio that LSU was high on Luke Fickell. It was Mel Tucker. He coached there before and has exceeded expectations at MSU. My mistake. I got that wrong. 

10 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

I get that yall want Aranda to get the job, I just don't see him as a cultural fit at LSU as HFC. A quiet guy from California, recruiting in the bayou country?

I'm probably wrong, though.

Why do we care if Aranda gets the job?

Dave Aranda coached there for four years, I think he knows how the culture is. LSU is also a much better job than Baylor.

Baylor always thinks they're more relevant than they are.

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Why do we care if Aranda gets the job?

Dave Aranda coached there for four years, I think he knows how the culture is. LSU is also a much better job than Baylor.

Baylor always thinks they're more relevant than they are.

Your last sentence answers your first one. For me anyway.

16 hours ago, Fud said:

The main LSU insider just posted “We have our name and are in active talks. Our new coach will be named shortly after the season.”

"I am told Fickell has said no at this point. The two names are likely Franklin and then Tucker."

10 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

Let's get this straight....Aggy did NOT lure Jimbo from FSU.....He had walked out on the team in the midst of the season( with a losing record no less). If he does the same to aggy, well....

Jimbo got out of FSU to escape the lynch mob. He didn't just leave because of a better coaching destination. One can only hope that Jimbo does to aggy what he did to FSU. Many of the problems the Seminoles  have right now is because of Fisher.

10 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Jimbo isn't going to LSU. He's getting free money from a school that realistically will never win a championship or make a playoff appearance. He's set for life. 

Why would he not go to LSU for same or more money, easier recruiting, better chance of winning championships?  Seems like the "easier" life is at LSU?

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Why would he not go to LSU for same or more money, easier recruiting, better chance of winning championships?  Seems like the "easier" life is at LSU?

Until you lose a couple of games LSU shouldn't and have millions of coonasses with guns calling for your head. I'd argue aggy is "easier" bc expectations are lower. But, they're nuts too. If you wanna win, LSU is better.

10 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

If you can’t win a NC or make the playoffs at aggy, then why stay there?  

If LSU wants Jimbo he's gone.  He's been pretty open about how much he hates it there and it's pretty damn clear he doesn't give a shit about the team or the fanbase if you spend any time watching his locker room videos (published by aggy athletics nonetheless lol) or press conferences.

If I was in Jimbo's shoes I'd probably stay at aggy for one reason: LSU demands their coach actually wins.  aggy is content being an irrelevant cellar dweller for perpetuity.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, ermahgerdhorn said:

If LSU wants Jimbo he's gone.  He's been pretty open about how much he hates it there and it's pretty damn clear he doesn't give a shit about the team or the fanbase if you spend any time watching his locker room videos (published by aggy athletics nonetheless lol) or press conferences.

If I was in Jimbo's shoes I'd probably stay at aggy for one reason: LSU demands their coach actually wins.  aggy is content being an irrelevant cellar dweller for perpetuity.  

Les Miles and Ed O stumbled into national titles at LSU.  It's a lot easier there to win - if you're 25% competent, you pretty much clean up East Texas, Golden Triangle and all of Louisiana in recruiting.  You don't have to even do anything but show up and offer.

Jimbo took the express bus out of FSU to avoid reaping what he sowed in terms of a decimated roster.  The express bus is pulling into the station and ole Jimbo is probably ready to make his getaway with a crap ton of money.  LSU can pay him the same, or more, and there's no fucking weird ass cult.  

And he gets to go work for his old boss that threw him the lifeline that got him out of Tallahassee. 

Edited by Js1

3 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

haven't seen it mentioned, so I'll throw out Gundy.   OSU getting stuck back in the Big 12.  LSU gives him another shot to play with the big boys (and beat up on Texas)  That fucker.  

Or maybe he sees a chance to dominate the new Big 12 after Texas and OU bolt for the SEC. 

• Like 1