LSU is going in dry

texifornia

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, they've literally done studies on this stuff, particularly in regard to CFB and the psychology of the fan. As we become a more secular society, Americans seek transcendence in ways that were previously discovered and felt largely within the confines of religious experiences. Finding something that is, in fact, bigger than your own person makes you feel like part of a cosmically larger and more important thing, and that is a human need as old as the non-lizard parts of our brains. College football, quite literally for many fans, has become a deeply emotionally "we" thing for them that they absolutely own and feel a part of, collectively. That doesn't mean crying for you or me, but it does for others. 

If you think you are above the "we" notion, I'd argue that your post count here and interest level in UT athletics overall betray that notion. And there's nothing wrong with it. Just be real about it. This is all very legitimately not something that can be trivialized for millions of people in this country, including many here. 

Well said, but this was also 16 years ago when i was a newlywed kid. My wife laughed in my face and we haven’t had a similar exchange since. I’ve seen a lot of people go goon over sports. This was just my one time when I kinda did, was embarrassed by it, and I felt like sharing it. But still, I’ll sign up for the Masterclass that @Js1 is teaching on fandom. Lmfao, dude. Hook’em!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I wrote something at lunch and then threw in the trash bin. I liked the write-up, but it didn't fit the mudhole ethos. Mudholes are usually appropriate when we realistically can or should win a game and everyone on the boards is gnashing their teeth. It's hard to muster an honest view that Texas has any reason to win on Saturday, so shaming a reader into manning up on their outlook for the game is disingenuous. I don't know, maybe I'll take another crack at it. 

Someone who has shown himself to be staunchly supportive of the current head coach to the point of proclaiming him SeventeenWinSteve as well as insolently denigrating Alabama under Saban, requesting that they "Gargle your Balls", can do better than this, sir. We're all counting on you.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Feels like he’s puffing his chest now because they have Southern and New Mexico as their next two games. I guess Kelly figures lay down the law now, two game winning streak, maybe the press coverage changes. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Feels like he’s puffing his chest now because they have Southern and New Mexico as their next two games. I guess Kelly figures lay down the law now, two game winning streak, maybe the press coverage changes. 

That's an interesting approach for Kelly if that's his thinking. I can't imagine that he's unaware that his team this year is absolute garbage by recent LSU standards. I'm not just talking about what we witnessed on Sunday, although that didn't help. This LSU team lacks the LSU talent we've become accustomed to seeing for two decades. 

-Daniels is fine with time. I don't know how much of that he's going to get. 

-Boutte gets a ton of love, but he's never been more than "good" overall. None of the other WRs are worthy of discussion and they played like it on Sunday. Nevermind their recruiting rankings and think about what you see on the field. This is usually a spot on their roster where every other program outside of Bama or OSU would envy the unit. 

-I remember John Emery was going to be the next amazing back for LSU. I don't remember seeing him take a snap the other night. Did he play? Is he hurt? If Noah Cain is your starter at somewhere like LSU, it's because you've missed on some other evaluations. He's fine, but that's all he is. LSU couldn't get any push against the FSU front 7 and Daniels had to carry the running game, running for his life.

-TE is okay. It's okay.

-The OL, based on rankings, should be a lot better than it looked the other night. Campbell is a true freshman, so I get that part, but they weren't pushing anyone around and Verse made them look stupid on multiple occasions. They gave up 4 sacks and 6 TFLs, and it could have been worse. Their best drive was their last drive, and they're lucky they even got that.

-The DL lost its best player for the year. They have talent here, but when do we expect it to show up?

-They're good at LB and this unit will get better.

-The CBs are nothing special and the Safeties are awesome. 

-The special teams arguably cost LSU the game.

Overall, FSU will be an 7-5/8-4 regular season team, but they aren't worldbeaters. They were a boneheaded head coaching call away from leaving NOLA with a 2 touchdown victory. LSU looked like hammered dogshit all game and was lucky to have a shot at the end, which they choked on. 

So yeah, LSU will 3-0 against Southern, New Mexico, and UAB, in typical SEC fashion. But LSU gets UF as always and Tenn this year from the SECE to go with a brutal SECW slate. They look like the cellar dweller in the west. I can find 3 wins on the schedule and assume they'll bum fight their way to another against Auburn or one of the Miss schools or ATM. Fine. But tell me how LSU gets to 5-7, believably, let alone 6-6 or better. That's a bad team with mediocre talent and high expectations attached to high rankings. I don't know about anyone else, but I feel like I have seen that movie more than I cared to do so from 2010 forward. Hate to see it.

59 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-I remember John Emery was going to be the next amazing back for LSU. I don't remember seeing him take a snap the other night. Did he play? Is he hurt? If Noah Cain is your starter at somewhere like LSU, it's because you've missed on some other evaluations. He's fine, but that's all he is. LSU couldn't get any push against the FSU front 7 and Daniels had to carry the running game, running for his life

Emery was suspended I think?

didn't even realize Cain portal'd to LSU

19 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

i don't think i have ever followed this thread (though the last page was entertaining), but it seems like as good a place as any to post this:

Resident LSU fans: any chance O gets the color commentator gig on LSU radio broadcasts? Id pay to listen up that. 

On 9/6/2022 at 4:14 PM, closetojumping said:

I walked out of the Cotton Bowl after the 14-3 game in 2001 with my buddy, listening to all of the OU chants on the walk towards the car. At some point with all of the stimulation, I went full on Tony Montana seeing red mode and tore my shirt off of my body and then tore it into shreds while gutterly moaning furiously as a crowd looked on. I am thankful for the lack of social media in 2001. That same year, I vomited coming out of the Cowboys' stadium after the CU title game. I was completely healthy and sober. 

I don't know if I was "smash the tv at a party" involved with the program, but I wasn't far off. It has been a long fucking time, man. I'd love to have reason to believe that we're headed back towards that trend, but when I start thinking about it, I just get tired and sad.

Those are the two biggest gut-punch games I attended live (‘Bama Rose Bowl you at least had an inkling the final 57 minutes), but both of those trail the Crabtree game for me…

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2022 at 9:55 AM, closetojumping said:

That's an interesting approach for Kelly if that's his thinking. I can't imagine that he's unaware that his team this year is absolute garbage by recent LSU standards. I'm not just talking about what we witnessed on Sunday, although that didn't help. This LSU team lacks the LSU talent we've become accustomed to seeing for two decades. 

-Daniels is fine with time. I don't know how much of that he's going to get. 

-Boutte gets a ton of love, but he's never been more than "good" overall. None of the other WRs are worthy of discussion and they played like it on Sunday. Nevermind their recruiting rankings and think about what you see on the field. This is usually a spot on their roster where every other program outside of Bama or OSU would envy the unit. 

-I remember John Emery was going to be the next amazing back for LSU. I don't remember seeing him take a snap the other night. Did he play? Is he hurt? If Noah Cain is your starter at somewhere like LSU, it's because you've missed on some other evaluations. He's fine, but that's all he is. LSU couldn't get any push against the FSU front 7 and Daniels had to carry the running game, running for his life.

-TE is okay. It's okay.

-The OL, based on rankings, should be a lot better than it looked the other night. Campbell is a true freshman, so I get that part, but they weren't pushing anyone around and Verse made them look stupid on multiple occasions. They gave up 4 sacks and 6 TFLs, and it could have been worse. Their best drive was their last drive, and they're lucky they even got that.

-The DL lost its best player for the year. They have talent here, but when do we expect it to show up?

-They're good at LB and this unit will get better.

-The CBs are nothing special and the Safeties are awesome. 

-The special teams arguably cost LSU the game.

Overall, FSU will be an 7-5/8-4 regular season team, but they aren't worldbeaters. They were a boneheaded head coaching call away from leaving NOLA with a 2 touchdown victory. LSU looked like hammered dogshit all game and was lucky to have a shot at the end, which they choked on. 

So yeah, LSU will 3-0 against Southern, New Mexico, and UAB, in typical SEC fashion. But LSU gets UF as always and Tenn this year from the SECE to go with a brutal SECW slate. They look like the cellar dweller in the west. I can find 3 wins on the schedule and assume they'll bum fight their way to another against Auburn or one of the Miss schools or ATM. Fine. But tell me how LSU gets to 5-7, believably, let alone 6-6 or better. That's a bad team with mediocre talent and high expectations attached to high rankings. I don't know about anyone else, but I feel like I have seen that movie more than I cared to do so from 2010 forward. Hate to see it.

image.gif.59fdfc721a429503f5c7619ff2e4a53c.gif

3 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

image.gif.59fdfc721a429503f5c7619ff2e4a53c.gif

You get the usual break of playing in a mediocre and overrated conference. I’m guessing you’re pumped about the likelihood of going 8-4 instead of going 6-6, so congrats if that happens. I’d love to see Texas play LSU in a bowl this year. I’ve seen nothing from that team that harkens to what LSU has been in the past, but then again, I’m a neutral party that watches a lot of football and not imbecilic byproduct of a long line of whores and criminals fucking, so I can see how we might see it different. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

You get the usual break of playing in a mediocre and overrated conference. I’m guessing you’re pumped about the likelihood of going 8-4 instead of going 6-6, so congrats if that happens. I’d love to see Texas play LSU in a bowl this year. I’ve seen nothing from that team that harkens to what LSU has been in the past, but then again, I’m a neutral party that watches a lot of football and not imbecilic byproduct of a long line of whores and criminals fucking, so I can see how we might see it different. 

your sophistry and wit buys you a lot of fans around here, but you don’t  know fuck all about the subject upon which you pontificate.   

take your predictions and shove it up your ass, Nostradamus.  worry about yourself getting bowl eligible before your tee up idle and vicarious threats of kicking our ass.  

pissant…

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2022 at 2:58 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

your sophistry and wit buys you a lot of fans around here, but you don’t  know fuck all about the subject upon which you pontificate.   

take your predictions and shove it up your ass, Nostradamus.  worry about yourself getting bowl eligible before your tee up idle and vicarious threats of kicking our ass.  

pissant…

LSU just lost to aggy dude.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

LSU football receiver Kayshon Boutte reverses course, will enter 2023 NFL Draft

BATON ROUGE - LSU football wide receiver Kayshon Boutte has changed his mind, announcing Wednesday that he will enter the 2023 NFL Draft.

Boutte had announced that he was returning to LSU for his senior season on Dec. 5.

Earlier on Wednesday, coach Brian Kelly said Boutte would not play in the Citrus Bowl. Kelly, however, noted that Boutte has been enrolled at LSU for the spring semester.

We support Kayshon and his decision," Kelly wrote in a statement on Twitter Wednesday. "He went through a thoughtful process and ultimately decided this was in his best interest. We appreciate all he did during his time at LSU and wish him well.

LSU (9-4) will play Purdue (8-5) in the Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Florida, on Monday (Noon, ABC).

"After careful thoughts and consideration, I will be declaring for the 2023 NFL Draft," Boutte wrote on Twitter.

On 12/28/2022 at 9:17 PM, LTtxfan said:

LSU football receiver Kayshon Boutte reverses course, will enter 2023 NFL Draft

BATON ROUGE - LSU football wide receiver Kayshon Boutte has changed his mind, announcing Wednesday that he will enter the 2023 NFL Draft.

Boutte had announced that he was returning to LSU for his senior season on Dec. 5.

Earlier on Wednesday, coach Brian Kelly said Boutte would not play in the Citrus Bowl. Kelly, however, noted that Boutte has been enrolled at LSU for the spring semester.

We support Kayshon and his decision," Kelly wrote in a statement on Twitter Wednesday. "He went through a thoughtful process and ultimately decided this was in his best interest. We appreciate all he did during his time at LSU and wish him well.

LSU (9-4) will play Purdue (8-5) in the Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Florida, on Monday (Noon, ABC).

"After careful thoughts and consideration, I will be declaring for the 2023 NFL Draft," Boutte wrote on Twitter.

There are rumors that Boutte's leaving may not have been his choice. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HaHaHaHa 😂😂😂😂

LSU mistakenly overpaid Brian Kelly by $1 million in 2022

ZACH BARNETT               JAN 25, 2023

That must've been a heckuva conversation, or series of conversations, once someone finally found out.

The Louisiana Legislative Auditor's office found that LSU overpaid Brian Kelly by more than $1 million over the course of 2022. 

As the report details, LSU initially paid Kelly directly once he took the head coaching position in November 2021, but in May of last year LSU's Board of Supervisors approved an agreement between the school and Kelly's camp to pay the coach's LLC. Such an arrangement is not uncommon at the highest levels of college football, and LSU began paying Kelly's LLC that month.

Only, they forgot to turn off the direct deposit to Kelly's checking account. 

The report (via the Greater Baton Rouge Business Report) says LSU "management" detected the double payments in November. LSU and Kelly's camp then reached an agreement to make LSU whole without asking Kelly or his LLC to cut the school a check.

From the report: 

We also found the current head football coach was overpaid $1,001,368 in supplemental payments in fiscal year 2022 (the reporting period). This was due to LSU making double payments in May and June 2022. The coach began his employment with LSU in November 2021, subject to the terms and conditions set forth in a Term Agreement between LSU and the coach. LSU made supplemental payments to the coach directly from November 2021 through April 2022. In April 2022, the Board approved an Employment and License IP Agreement by and among itself, the coach, and the coach’s LLC. The new agreement superseded the Term Agreement. In May 2022, LSU began making supplemental payments to the coach’s LLC. However, LSU also erroneously continued to make supplemental payments to the coach directly, thereby resulting in monthly double payments until LSU management detected it in November 2022. LSU management and the head football coach have enacted an adjusted payment schedule so the amount of overpayment will be recouped by the conclusion of fiscal year 2023. 

We found no other exceptions as a result of these procedures. 

The report also found that LSU inaccurately reported $6.667 million payments to coaches as salary, benefits and bonuses when they were actually severance payments. 

Elsewhere, the audit also reported that LSU paid $1.3 million in additional salary to football support staff upon Kelly's hiring -- on purpose -- to pay people in newly-created positions that didn't exist in the Ed Orgeron regime and to staffers who commanded higher salaries than their predecessors. The audit also reported LSU awarded $1.3 million in payments to student-athletes in the first year of Alston Awards. 

All in all it seems like simple human error that was discovered, rectified and audited, as it should be. 

But the amazing -- but not surprising -- thing here is that LSU could lose and Kelly could gain an extra $1 million and not notice for six months.

14 minutes ago, n64ra said:

He's not keeping the extra $1M, or more specifically he's on an adjusted payment schedule so the overpayment amount gets recouped by LSU.

exactly correct...my post was simply voicing my satisfaction with his job performance thus far and the direction he has our program headed.  and he's put his own money where his mouth is with the program...

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Rumors floating around of Brian Kelly fucking around with his realtor and that being cause for divorce with his wife of 28 years. I’m sure pics will be coming in the next few days, but doubt she matches up to the quality coach O got. 

May be false info...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/cfb-world-reacts-to-conflicting-brian-kelly-reports/ar-AA17js3C

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

They are not happy...

WHISKEY & WINE POSTGAME SHOW: LSU 24, FSU 45 | September 3rd, 2023 | *NSFW*

They have 3 national titles in the last 20 years and they are bitching like they are Texas A&M.

I could deal with shitty starts to the season if we averaged a national championship about every 7 years over the last 20 years.

• Like 1