LSU is going in dry

texifornia

Aggy bowing up about how there is no way LSU pays him what Aggy has lined up.   Sounds a lot like there is no way Texas and OU would go to the SEC.  While I doubt they hire him for a myriad of reasons, can you imagine the meltdown if LSU hires Jimbo and pays him less guaranteed than what remained on his contract?  

• Hook 'Em 1

Baton Rouge might be an even bigger shithole than College Station.  Why anyone would want to live there for 9 months out of the year baffles me.  I mean sure there are 95 million reasons, but you can get 50 million reasons some place nice.  I guess I just don’t think like these caveman football coaches.  

Edited by ClubWhatever

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

Who’s saying otherwise?

No one, really, but Jimbo knows that and he's likely gone.  Aggy takes some work on recruiting.  LSU doesn't.

I heard in interview with Marcus Spears once where he said he always thought Saban regretted leaving.  Sure, he's won a lot at Bama but LSU is easier and the boosters aren't as bat shit.

11 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Don't kid yourselves.  LSU is a Top 5 job.  It recruits itself and they've won 3 titles with 3 coaches, 2 of which are abject morons.

that is not nice to say about Nick and Les

the thing with hiring Jimbo is instead of worrying about him trying to fuck everyone's wives you have to worry about his wife wearing out all the players and assistant coaches fucking them

• Haha 1

Baton Rouge might be an even bigger shithole than College Station.  Why anyone would want to live there for 9 months out of the year baffles me.  I mean sure there are 95 million reasons, but you can get 50 million reasons some place nice.  I guess I just don’t think like these caveman football coaches.  
Only P5 school in a state rich with talent..and right next door to another state rich with talent, and proximity/shared culture to deep south states also rich with talent. The corndogs have won 3 championships since 2k with 3 different coaches...if a current coach has a CFB championship (or another) as a pre retirement goal...living in Red Stick a few years is a small price to pay. Doesnt mean I think Jimbo will leave Collie Station, just sayin..

1 minute ago, ousux said:
13 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Only P5 school in a state rich with talent..and right next door to another state rich with talent, and proximity/shared culture to deep south states also rich with talent. The corndogs have won 3 championships since 2k with 3 different coaches...if a current coach has a CFB championship (or another) as a pre retirement goal...living in Red Stick a few years is a small price to pay. Doesnt mean I think Jimbo will leave Collie Station, just sayin..

Yeah, you can just recruit Louisiana and have Top 10 classes, especially with defensive linemen.  Throw in MS and East Texas/Houston and you have a junior NFL team.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/7/2021 at 4:52 PM, closetojumping said:

Regarding LSU, there is some scuttlebutt that Woodard might be all over Fisher, but both Sexton and many of the LSU alums are not as sure. Fisher at ATM is a sure thing for Sexton. 

This was 2 days before Jimbos Bama win and LSU getting whipped by Kentucky. According to Dellenger the negotiations of O and LSU separating started last week presumably after those games. Wonder if the Bama win put Jimbo at the top for the money guys? 

Coach O is out...

Top LSU coaching candidates to replace Ed Orgeron

One of the best coaching jobs in the country is now open, and expect LSU to swing for the fences when it goes looking for its next head coach.

Industry sources expect LSU AD Scott Woodward to go after big names to replace Ed Orgeron, who won’t coach beyond the 2021 season. Orgeron won a national championship less than two years ago, but program turmoil and poor on-field performance has LSU willing to pay a hefty buyout of more than $17 million according to the contract terms. Sports Illustrated first reported news Sunday that this would be Orgeron’s last season at LSU.

When you look at Woodward’s hiring track record, he’s always been willing to throw big money to pluck an established coach away from a good situation. He hired Chris Petersen away from Boise State after multiple schools had tried and failed in the past. He did the same at Texas A&M when he hired Jimbo Fisher (Florida State) and Buzz Williams (Virginia Tech). Even at LSU, Woodward has relied on that strategy when he lured women’s basketball coach Kim Mulkey away from Baylor.

With that modus operandi in mind, here are some of the early names you should watch for the LSU opening after talking to multiple industry sources.

James Franklin, Penn State head coach

Franklin is a hot name this coaching cycle for the work he’s done at Penn State. Franklin has previously had success in the SEC at Vanderbilt, and has guided Penn State to four top 10 finishes. Franklin has the big personality and recruiting track record to capitalize on LSU’s institutional advantages. Franklin could be difficult to pull away from Penn State -- he is also believed to be a top candidate for the USC opening -- but he’s the kind of big name Woodward loves to go after. Keep a close eye on this one.

Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M head coach

The name that will get the most attention until he makes clear he’s staying in College Station. Fisher has a good relationship with Woodward, who hired him at Texas A&M, and might be the most obvious replacement available. Fisher recently agreed to another big contract extension, but as Yahoo Sports pointed out recently, he is able to leave Texas A&M with no buyout. Fisher was part of Nick Saban’s national championship-winning staff at LSU and is very familiar with what it takes to succeed in Baton Rouge. LSU has tried and failed to land Fisher in the past, but is expected to at least see if he’d be willing to come this time. Woodward won’t have a problem rounding up enough money to pay Fisher more than his current $9 million salary.

Lane Kiffin, Ole Miss head coach

Kiffin is on his second SEC head coaching job already and is expected to have interest in making LSU his third. He has done a good job rehabilitating his reputation, brings an exciting offense and has Ole Miss ranked as one of the top 15 teams in the country this season. Kiffin still comes with plenty of attention, some good and some bad, that LSU might want to avoid after dealing with Orgeron. Kiffin could win big at LSU, though, and could be a good option if Fisher and Franklin don’t work out.

Luke Fickell, Cincinnati

Fickell has patiently and methodically built Cincinnati into a team ranked No. 2 in the country that has a real shot to become the first Group of Five team to make the College Football Playoff. Fickell has coached in the Midwest his entire career and the feeling has long been that he’d like to stay in that area. But he’ll be a hot name this coaching cycle for premier jobs like this one and USC, where he has a good relationship with AD Mike Bohn. It’s at least worth Woodward calling Fickell to see if there’s a possible fit.

Mel Tucker, Michigan State head coach

Tucker has done a great job rebuilding Michigan State into a top-10 team this season. Tucker, a Nick Saban disciple, has lots of SEC experience including stops at LSU, Georgia and Alabama. Tucker could put together a strong staff, should be able to recruit well and has shown he knows what he’s doing in building the Spartans into an undefeated team this season. Tucker has less head coaching experience than some of the other big names on this list, but he’s a name to watch with this search.

Joe Brady, Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator

Brady was terrific in his lone season in Baton Rouge, helping revolutionize a stale offense into one of the nation’s best as part of a national championship season. He’s younger and more inexperienced than Woodward would typically go after, but there’s no denying he has a brilliant offensive mind. Beyond that, there is the question on whether Brady would even want to leave the NFL if he believes he’s on the path to becoming an NFL head coach.

Billy Napier, Louisiana head coach

Napier is considered a long shot to be Orgeron’s replacement given Woodward’s preference for big names. Napier has turned away interest from multiple SEC jobs in the past, including Auburn and South Carolina last coaching cycle, showing patience in waiting for the right opportunity. LSU is the kind of job people believe Napier would have interest in, but consider him a backup option right now. LSU could do worse, though, than a coach who knows the Louisiana recruiting landscape, has successfully built a Group of Five program that punches above its weight and is highly-regarded within the industry.

• Hook 'Em 1

ha. I guess it depends if it Jimbo's dream job.  he has to be tired of all the aggy turditions and such.

Jimbo wants to get away from them. Even a born and raised hillbilly is weirded the fuck out by aggy. They’re not poaching a top 25 coach again. They only got Jimbo because he was forced to leave FSU. No one fits that bill again. They’ll go back to hiring from UH or any other mid major.
  • Hook 'Em 1

he's not leaving that money on the table. LSU would have to match or come fairly close. one place is ready to build him a statue if he wins the conference, the other has go through 3 coaches who have won National Titles in the last how many years?

• Like 1

Just now, naija said:

he's not leaving that money on the table. LSU would have to match or come fairly close. one place is ready to build him a statue if he wins the conference, the other has go through 3 coaches who have won National Titles in the last how many years?

Weren't they paying O a comparable salary to Jimbo's?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Weren't they paying O a comparable salary to Jimbo's?

it's the guarantee. can they commit to 10 years? no doubt they can pay it if it was just a matter of what the number is on a yearly basis (they've casually agreed to swallow Orgeron's contract without blinking after all). it's a new AD and maybe a new line of thinking but that institution seems to like the ability to make a change swiftly. guaranteeing $100M would put a cramp in that.

but who knows in this crazy world of CFB salaries.... and if it happens, we will all have A&M to thank for unleashing a different kind of madness

8 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I find it hilarious going back to all the fanbases & media blowhards that shitted on us for firing Strong after arguably the 3 worst years of Texas football ever. These clowns about to fire a coach that won a national championship 2 seasons ago. I wonder if Herbie is gonna call them a cesspool 

I fucking wish we were LSU. 

2 minutes ago, naija said:

it's the guarantee. can they commit to 10 years? no doubt they can pay it if it was just a matter of what the number is on a yearly basis (they've casually agreed to swallow Orgeron's contract without blinking after all). it's a new AD and maybe a new line of thinking but that institution seems to like the ability to make a change swiftly. guaranteeing $100M would put a cramp in that.

but who knows in this crazy world of CFB salaries.... and if it happens, we will all have A&M to thank for unleashing a different kind of madness

Woodward got Jimbo and offered him that guaranteed contract the first time.  LSU has the guy who’d do it 

3 minutes ago, naija said:

It's Louisiana.  They will take federal highway funds and divert it to the LSU athletic department if necessary to pay Jimbo.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

And when Fisher and aggy revert to form and they find ways to lose at least two and maybe all three of Auburn, Ole Miss and lol LSU (in what would be the last regular season game for both coaches), that won't seem like such a splash hire.

aggy looked a little too competent for my liking yesterday. Although Mizzou sucks.

I mean, I think they find a loss in the three you listed. And regardless of what they do LSU poaching Jimbo would be fucking hilarious. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Woodward got Jimbo and offered him that guaranteed contract the first time.  LSU has the guy who’d do it 

yeah, I forgot that part. well let the games begin! being an NFL, CFB, NBA or NCAAM coach has to be up there golden parachute wise....

8 minutes ago, naija said:

I guess it depends on how bad Jimbo wants the LSU job. Can't see them guaranteeing 10 years. No one should, only dumbasses like the Aggies would.

7 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

It created messes for him, like the time Orgeron pulled up to a woman at a gas station wearing exercise attire. “Hey, you look like you work out,” he said, according to multiple sources. “We could work out together.” The woman informed Orgeron she was married and pregnant, to which he responded, “Why does that matter?”

He's right -- no chance of her getting knocked up. Among other things.

NSFW (don't say you weren't warned)

15 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

It's Louisiana.  They will take federal highway funds and divert it to the LSU athletic department if necessary to pay Jimbo.

I said in another thread they'd sell LSU Shreveport to Arkansas if it kept Baseball and Football going a few more years.

Plenty of down low coonass multi-millionaires in the awl bidness would be happy to pass the hat to hire an unethical, but proven winner. Urban could find all kinds of fun to get into in Red Stick, or right down the road in NOLA. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

aggy looked a little too competent for my liking yesterday. Although Mizzou sucks.

I mean, I think they find a loss in the three you listed. And regardless of what they do LSU poaching Jimbo would be fucking hilarious. 

If you hate both teams, that aggy-LSU matchup at the end of the year is as close to a meteor game as we are ever likely to see.

aggy wins, they weep and wail over losing their coach.

aggy loses, they lose to a rival and have to pretend they didn't want Jimbo anymore anyway because he sucks because he just lost to LSU.

LSU wins, about 3/4 of the coonass fanbase is mad they are getting rid of the Ogre for a coach they rightly mistrust and who just got beat. Orgeron incites riots across South Louisiana.

LSU loses, they lose to aggy in a beloved coach's last game. Esp if O miraculously finds some way to win out leading up to the game. Which is not fucking likely.

And LSU win would cause maximum distress on both sides. Even though LSU is my very distant #2 favorite team, I am pulling for this result just for the sheer number of exploding heads. And my abiding hate for aggy compels me to never pull for them under any circumstances save maybe one that would put the Horns in the NC game, and we all know they would throw that game. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I said in another thread they'd sell LSU Shreveport to Arkansas if it kept Baseball and Football going a few more years.

Plenty of down low coonass multi-millionaires in the awl bidness would be happy to pass the hat to hire an unethical, but proven winner. Urban could find all kinds of fun to get into in Red Stick, or right down the road in NOLA. 

this does seem to be something more than a dark horse scenario now. more likely than jimbo.

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

If you hate both teams, that aggy-LSU matchup at the end of the year is as close to a meteor game as we are ever likely to see.

aggy wins, they weep and wail over losing their coach.

aggy loses, they lose to a rival and have to pretend they didn't want Jimbo anymore anyway because he sucks because he just lost to LSU.

LSU wins, about 3/4 of the coonass fanbase is mad they are getting rid of the Ogre for a coach they rightly mistrust and who just got beat. Orgeron incites riots across South Louisiana.

LSU loses, they lose to aggy in a beloved coach's last game. Esp if O miraculously finds some way to win out leading up to the game. Which is not fucking likely.

And LSU win would cause maximum distress on both sides. Even though LSU is my very distant #2 favorite team, I am pulling for this result just for the sheer number of exploding heads. And my abiding hate for aggy compels me to never pull for them under any circumstances save maybe one that would put the Horns in the NC game, and we all know they would throw that game. 

I like them much more than aggy and Bama. I like their fanbase and the culture they maintain around their team. Overall though I'm largely indifferent when they are playing the Auburns or Ole Misses of the conference. 

I'm sure that will slowly dissipate once we have them on the schedule much more often.