Comic Relief: Satirical Tweets and Memes

Hugo Stiglitz

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Tex-ivus Miracle!

I live in the most energy abundant state in human history, pay for property taxes more than the entire value of the home I was born in.  Have created dozens of jobs.  Paid hundreds of thousands more in fees, tolls, surcharges, convenience costs, etc.

and I spend much of my day driving on shitty highways while worrying about water, my daughter being in mass shooting event, and which generator I should buy despite paying $1000 a month for electricity.  

but I get to own a handgun and not pay personal state income tax.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 2/2/2023 at 12:19 AM, brakeman said:

I was listening to the radio on the way home one night and they had the FAU professor (who has taught history longer than DeSantis has been alive) on who is suing to keep his classes/major intact.  As he put it, DeSantis wants the history books to read, "black people came over and worked for free for a while."

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

AHMZnnp.thumb.jpeg.d11fd82bc768b7981563705852d994e4.jpeg

Abstract

Political ideology not only influences political activities, but also apolitical fields such as charitable giving. However, empirical studies regarding political ideology and charitable giving have yielded mixed results. To find out the effect size and explain the variation in effect sizes, we deploy a meta-analysis to estimate the average effect size and examine the potential moderators from four perspectives. Following scientific data collection and coding procedures, we identify 421 effect sizes from 31 empirical studies. Our meta-analysis results suggest that political conservatives are significantly more charitable than liberals at an overall level, but the relationship between political ideology and charitable giving varies under different scenarios. Furthermore, meta-regression results indicate that the measure of charitable giving, the type of charitable giving, and controlling for religiosity can account for the variation in effect sizes.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0049089X21000752

But see, if you control for religiosity we account for the variation in effect size.  LOL. 

Well duh, those super churches and private jets don't pay for themselves...

Since conservatives are more charitable, they can contribute more to our society through charitable giving. From the perspective of total welfare, however, the story will be different. By total welfare, we mean the total contributions from charitable giving (i.e., private contributions) and government redistribution (i.e., public contributions). Paarlberg et al. (2019) demonstrated that counties with higher percentages of individuals voting Republican had higher levels of charitable contributions due to lower tax burdens, but the higher charitable giving did not fully compensate for the loss of government revenue, so the total contributions including both charitable giving and government redistribution were lower in Republican-leaning counties. More charitable giving of conservatives does not lead to higher levels of total welfare. Therefore, we should have an integrated understanding on the more charitable conservatives.

Basically, conservatives tend to donate more to causes that benefit other conservatives. I'm sure Jesus would have been on board with that

The hyperlink in your quote links to Yang 2021 paper I just cited. Can you link the text that you just quoted?

At face value the following is hilarious and totally appropriate for this thread though.

Since conservatives are more charitable, they can contribute more to our society through charitable giving. 

I do find this though when I do a lit search on that author. Which is funny and also on-thread appropriate. 

Cost-Effectiveness of a US National Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Tax With a Multistakeholder Approach: Who Pays and Who Benefits

https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2018.304803

Edited by Anastasis