Gym Pet Peeves

Ldogg53

Walked into the room with spin bikes to warm up and there's a fat fuck in here having a conversation on his phone at volume 11. I have good noise cancelling headphones, as everyone should at a gym because the music and people usually sucks, but the assumption that everyone does and that it's their responsibility to drown you out really makes me surly. Sometimes I like to wear my bone conducting headphones necessary they're light and that isn't going to block you catching up with the homie from way back while you pretend to work out.

On 1/21/2023 at 10:41 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

Not a pet peeve but this may be the most ridiculous feat of strength I've ever seen...a bench press drop set of 585x1, 495x5, 405x3, 315x4, 225x4. The guy is 53 years old, only second man over 50 to bench 600+ raw (no bench shirt) Don't know how to imbed Instagram 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cm9lx6nvOzN/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

My pec ripped just watching that

• Haha 1

I live in a small town with one YMCA. There's basically one of each weight machine. Olds love to sit on one machine for 10 minutes spending minutes between sets talking to other olds. I often can't complete my routine in the time I've allotted because some old took forever to use one machine. 

The inverse of the olds taking forever at a machine are the young guys who finish a set and then check themselves out in the mirror for minutes in between sets likewise taking forever to finish up on a machine.   

There's one spray bottle with an auto paper towel dispenser to use to clean a machine after using. There's always some yahoo that takes the one spray bottle to the machine to spend a minute cleaning it instead of just spraying the paper towel at the cleaning station and taking the towel to the machine. 

I'd go somewhere else but the only options are a UFC bro gym that requires a contract and an Anytime Fitness with same contract BS. 

• 4 months later...

Wannabe Patrick Beverlys playing dirty physical ball like it's game 7 of the Finals instead of Tuesday random pickup at LAFitness with scrubs. Motherfucker I'm old AF, have a spinal cord injury, and just want to get a little run in without ending up in the hospital. GTF off me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am considering Karening to the gym management. My gym is a big chain gym (The Edge, not sure if in TX). It's nice, I like it. It's very close to my house and strikes the right mix of real gym vs Planet Fitness vs. Meathead circuit. Their top membership tier allows you to bring a guest for free as long as you sign them in. My oldest has been trying to get into working out. I've taken him with me occasionally. He is 13, the minimum age for a guest. Of course when I bring him, he works out with me, I show him form and technique, etc. I have been seeing fucking 7 and 8 year old looking kids roaming free in the gym trying to use equipment. No clue who their parents and grandparents are. Today there were some brothers roaming free, independent of each other, one probably 8 and the other maybe 10. It annoys me. I don't want a kid to get hurt, I don't want my gym to get sued and have to close, I don't want to find myself in a position of wanting to use the lat pulldown machine but I can't because there is an 8 year old playing on it. And fuck those parents, this isn't a kiddie club. In fact the gym has a Kids club where staff will play basketball or do fake exercises and stuff with the kids. Maybe I'm just being old.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 10:12 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

That's funny. There are so many people who are, even in the gym, so attached to their phones. Just leave it at home. 

I've seen/heard people use their phones while sitting at a machine and even on the commode. But today was the first time I ever heard someone on their (speaker) phone while they were taking a shower. 

Edited by Crapinon

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Pancho said:

Anyone else seen the hoopla surrounding Sam Sulek? It’s mostly on TikTok. Bro is built and is only 21 and can barely breathe when he does his vids. 

Also the word “gymcel” is starting to make the rounds and it makes sense.

say wut? come again?

37 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

We have one water fountain at our gym. On the right side you can fill bottles and on the left you can drink from the fountain.
Nearly every time I go to get a drink someone is standing in front of the left side while filling a bottle.

outrageous-egregious-preposterous-jackie-chiles.gif

On 1/24/2023 at 8:01 PM, BearMace said:

Walked into the room with spin bikes to warm up and there's a fat fuck in here having a conversation on his phone at volume 11. I have good noise cancelling headphones, as everyone should at a gym because the music and people usually sucks, but the assumption that everyone does and that it's their responsibility to drown you out really makes me surly. Sometimes I like to wear my bone conducting headphones necessary they're light and that isn't going to block you catching up with the homie from way back while you pretend to work out.

Asshole jumps on the elliptical one removed from mine having a phone conversation so loud that I can't concentrate on the podcast I'm listening to. Obviously too self absorbed to notice the looks I'm shooting him or that I immediately get off wipe the machine down and move to a treadmill as far away as I can get from him. Can still hear him btw. 

• 5 months later...

My gym has a 20 yard turf track with 4 lanes. The inside lane is against the wall. The outside lane usually has a sled in it. Once a week I push the sled. Once a week I do deep split squat lunges the length of the track and back. I'm old. I need the wall for emotional and sometimes physical support. It amazes me the number of inconsiderate and oblivious idiots who will decide to grab a couple of dumbbells or a yoga mat and set up in the lane you're using to do something that just requires a tiny area and could be done anywhere else.