Gym Pet Peeves

Ldogg53

16 hours ago, Ldogg53 said:

Shit. I posted it in the old thread, but I used to work out at a Blast Fitness that had hand dryers installed on the wall. The old dudes would go over and punch the button and basically mount the wall to dry themselves. Horrific.

24 hour it's not just the old dudes doing that.

Old dudes in the locker room are a problem no matter what gym you go to. It's a cot-damned epidemic.

I'm not too mad at the OP pic either, there was nobody in that gym, in fact that pic looked pretty damn great because there was many empty benches and a decent looking lady working out. Blocking the rack is a no-no generally, but I don't mind people who do the rows there as long as they  move their asses when they're done. And as long as they're not using the weights for support when they're lifting less than 50 or 60 pounds.

7.png

And yes I’ve seen the old bastards blow drying their balls

Old guys who wander into the locker room after getting out of the pool without making the slightest effort to dry off first. Motherfucker, it’s like somebody just hauled a marlin on deck.
  • Haha 1

Whew man, where to start:

1. Taking up two or more stations.

2. groups mostly talking and occupying a station.

3. Music on speakers or relatedly, singing songs out loud.

4. The perfume thing or really out of control BO. 

5. Slamming or dropping weights repeatedly.

6. Grunting loud during reps. Usually same guy as in no. 5.

7. Using the bench for anything other than bench press. (Not the porto benches). 

8. Sunglasses. ( No joke)

9. Selfie nonsense.

10. Using a station to text.

11. The perv who runs off the hotties. That's not me I promise.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, BearMace said:

Don't get me wrong, it's a bullshit move, but are these boom boxes so loud you can hear them over your headphones, or are you brave enough to go to the gym without headphones and be subjected to whatever the gym plays?

Yes I can hear their music over my headphones sometimes 

What’s funny is a dude did this one time, then another guy went to management to complain.  The next day,  the dude that complained and boom box bro were working out together.  

There is a couple of guys who work out at my gym that are sterorypical roid users. You know, they wear smallest available wife beater tanks, scream at each other to get that one last rep, and throw around dumb bells before posing in the mirror.

They upped their game a few weeks ago. Every so often they would reach into their gym bags and start eating a small can of tuna fish. 

Of course I didn't complain to the management because I am pretty sure they could take me out rather quickly

10 hours ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

There is a couple of guys who work out at my gym that are sterorypical roid users. You know, they wear smallest available wife beater tanks, scream at each other to get that one last rep, and throw around dumb bells before posing in the mirror.

They upped their game a few weeks ago. Every so often they would reach into their gym bags and start eating a small can of tuna fish. 

Of course I didn't complain to the management because I am pretty sure they could take me out rather quickly

Fuck that.  I can't be anywhere around canned tuna.  I'd either call the cops or quit going to that gym.

The wife and I are members of a JCC since they offer part-time daycare and require a membership to use it after a few times. It's nice since they have a lap pool, but so many naked old Jewish dudes in the locker room. They must have bets to see who can be naked the longest using the most amount of space. Several times I have seen fully naked men shaving at the sinks. 

Edited by GSU&UT

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2018 at 10:31 PM, BurntOrangeCrush said:

Setting aside the smell issue, how in the fuck can someone actually eat during a workout?  I can't eat anything from 2 hours before to 1 hour after or I get really nauseated.

17 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Some guys spend hours in the gym. 

I'm well aware.  There was a time when I used to spend a good 3 hours in there.   Having food in my stomach when I'm exerting myself is not something I can handle and it surprises me how others can do it. 

People who claim a machine, and then they spend minute after minute texting and not using it, and there’s no other machine of that kind available. Fuck them.

A while back a dude takes a bench press, and I guess somebody had left a bunch of weight on it, like four 45-lb plates on each side of the bar. So I’m working out and I hear a loud crash. The new dude decided to remove all of the previous dude’s plates, doing only one side instead of alternating. Eventually physics won. What an idiot.

People who work out with a barbell, and when they are done they don’t put the plates back. They suck.

People who don’t bother to learn good technique, they are stupid. One guy was doing squats and was leaning forward enough that his heels were off the ground. Good technique, dipshit.

People who ask you a question as you are squeezing your last ounce of strength to finish a set. Really?

I'm sick of dudes who come to the gym and smell like something died.  Dude, I get it, it's the gym and you are sweating.  But holy shit I couldn't even finish my sets on the bench next to this one guy yesterday.  Just a quick swipe of deodorant will fix that.

Kind of in the same category as speakers at the gym - people who talk on speakerphone at the gym.  This bothers me everywhere but especially in the gym.  I don't need to hear about your drama with "Jason and his cousin" when I'm working out.  Fuck you - and fuck Jason and his cousin for that matter.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Druggist said:

At Body Business on Anderson I once saw a 70 year old man shaving naked at the sink. By shaving I mean lifting up his balls, shaving underneath, and rinsing the razor in the sink.  I am no longer a member there.

I definitely have an issue with his choice of venue, but props to a 70-year-old for still wanting to manscape for his lady. 

1. Curling in the squat rack. 

2. Grunting

3. People that don't know how to wipe their ass and smell like shit. 

4. Cross training with equipment when the gym is full. Always the skinny guys

5. Quarter/half reps. If you can't do a full rep, you should decrease the weight and get your form down first

• Fuck You 2

10 hours ago, d.plainview872 said:

People that need music to lift. WTF? I can't believe people need motivation of hearing a voice or instruments clapping to achieve a goal. What a waste of human intelligence. 

This is a horrific take.  No one needs the music as motivation, but it's more enjoyable with it.  Just like, oh I don't know, listening to music when you drive.  

And at my gym you better have headphones on if not you'll be stuck listening to the horrid pop shit they pipe in all over the place. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 11:17 PM, d.plainview872 said:

1. Curling in the squat rack. 

2. Grunting

3. People that don't know how to wipe their ass and smell like shit. 

4. Cross training with equipment when the gym is full. Always the skinny guys

5. Quarter/half reps. If you can't do a full rep, you should decrease the weight and get your form down first

giphy.gif

"People that need music to lift. WTF? I can't believe people need motivation of hearing a voice or instruments clapping to achieve a goal. What a waste of human intelligence. "

WTF

Yesterday... had someone ask me if I needed my bench.  I didn't need it at that point so I said go ahead... he painstakingly moved it across the gym, did one set... and left.

watching this unfold the other day.  dude 1 had been patiently waiting his turn at the squat rack.  he is definitely not skipping leg day.  rack finally frees up, he walks over, another dude walks up at the same time.  they talk.  i think, cool, 1st dude is letting 2nd dude work in.

they both load up 1 45lb plate on each side.  second dude does his set.  first dude goes to remove a plate.  2nd dude is like, ok, whatevs.  2nd dude removes the plate. 

1st dude proceeds to do shoulder presses.  WITH NO WEIGHT ON THE BAR.  2nd dude looks at the 1st dude, like, what in the fuck.  

they alternate like this for about 5 sets.  1st dude continues to do shoulder presses with no weights, at the squat rack.  second dude was ragey but contained himself. 

there's a shoulder press station that is empty the whole time this happens.  

i was laughing my ass off.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Haha 1

Can someone explain the recent rise in people feeling the need to film their lifting?   Where is this content going?   Is there anyone that says "my friends want to to see me workout?'

Ever since LTF went to this alpha hiit deal I've noticed this occurring more and more.  Yesterday two girls were using the fake squat racks and filming and taking pictures of each other squatting.   But here's the deal.  They weren't working out.  They just do one or two squats while the other did the photo shoot and then switched.  

3 hours ago, midtown said:

Can someone explain the recent rise in people feeling the need to film their lifting?   Where is this content going?   Is there anyone that says "my friends want to to see me workout?'

Ever since LTF went to this alpha hiit deal I've noticed this occurring more and more.  Yesterday two girls were using the fake squat racks and filming and taking pictures of each other squatting.   But here's the deal.  They weren't working out.  They just do one or two squats while the other did the photo shoot and then switched.  

clearly you're not an influencer.

Edited by elfenix

3 hours ago, midtown said:

I've got an acquaintance who I follow on instagram and he posts a selfie or a video of him lifting nearly every damn day. I often wonder how much time he spends each day recording himself, and if he feels any shame doing this publicly. He includes about a thousand gym hashtags to try to get more people to like his posts, but typically he only gets about a dozen or so likes and a few other gym dorks commenting to get him to go like their shit. The whole thing is so narcissisticly absurd