2018-2019 San Antonio Spurs: Fuck Kawhi Leonard

Michael Knight

1) Less Patty Mills

2) Bertans probably needs to play more 

3) The offense is going to be reliant on LMA and DeRozan. 

4) We probably need to keep starting Cunningham at the 4. He at least gives us some type of defensive presence. 

5) DeRozan is gonna have to play big minutes because he's really the only playmaker we have on the roster. Again, fewer minutes for Patty Mills. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

Good stuff, @texasstrong12.

Nos. 1 and 5 hopefully get remedied somewhat once White returns.  Agree 100% on 2 - not sure why Pop has been relatively hesitant to play him more.  Matchups, perhaps?  No. 3  - duh.  The surprising part is how will LMA and DDR have fit together so far.  DDR is a much better playmaker than I anticipated.  No. 4 - we'll see about that.  I think it is more a function of moving LMA to the 5 which improves the defense because Pau is sitting.  

• Like 1

Really too small a sample size to take anything away especially on net rating or +/-, however I do think Cunningham is (sadly) probably our best perimeter defensive player right now.  We're atrocious on defense so inserting him into the starting lineup at times for defense probably makes some sense.  Again, Forbes and Patty as our backcourt in crunch time makes me sad.

31 minutes ago, Kermit said:

What is the Ball idiot doing on that play? Way to run away from your player jackass. He doesn’t even try to contest.

He could have been anticipating a switch from his teammate and trying to get back to defend Aldridge. As bad as Ball's defense is, the other guy's (whoever the hell he is) is worse. He doesn't switch or hedge to Mills coming off of the pick AND he loses position to Aldridge. He's completely in no man's land.  If Mills misses, Aldridge most likely gets the rebound. Just a shit-tastic team defensive effort all the way around.

Ball had some piss-poor effort on defense last night. He plays a bit like his brothers over in Uzbekistan or wherever they're playing. Like it's an AAU showcase. Lazy as shit.

That reminds me of the LBJ shot at the end of regulation. Rudy Gay really, really disappointed me there. We're up by 3 with less than 7 seconds and he gives LBJ space above the 3 point line. He should've been hounding him as soon as he crossed half-court, and in no universe should he have been sagging off anywhere close to the 3 point line. Especially with so little time, you make him rush into a shot without his feet set at the very least. Even if he gets by you, at last make him rush the shot if you can't run him off the line.

Can't shoot tonight..... the old adage is defense shows up every night.  Welp, we don't play much  D.  We're down 8 points in 3pointers.   Basically, this team has to be ultra efficient on offense and 2's to have a chance at winning.  They'll play hard almost every night, but there's going to be some terrible terrible basketball from this group particularly on when we're not making our mid-range J's.

1 minute ago, Kermit said:

Teams shoot an abnormally high percentage from three against us, and the bitch of it is the defense isn’t horrible. I mean it’s not ideal, but not horrible. Oh well. 

Black, silver and white just aren't very distracting uniform colors. Maybe we should try a heavy dose of the old Fiesta look.  

8 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I don't want to think about a world in which Forbes plays over 30 minutes and it's not because we're winning going away. But I guess the alternative is to play Mills that many minutes and see a -40 +/- next to his name. 

Not much choice right now with Murray and White injured. 

Even getting Lonnie back would help shave minutes for Patty and Forbes.  I think Lonnie will beat White back by a week or more.  I'm hoping right around Christmas, we'll have both back.  They need the minutes and reps to develop and improve.  If this franchise is to have a future, those guys need to become good players.

LMA is attempting as many shots as he did last season, but now there is a legitimate scoring threat running with the ones to take a lot of pressure off of him. Last season that was absent with Murray who was still very raw offensively, Kyle Anderson, an injured Danny Green and Gasol.

1 hour ago, Chad said:

LMA is attempting as many shots as he did last season, but now there is a legitimate scoring threat running with the ones to take a lot of pressure off of him. Last season that was absent with Murray who was still very raw offensively, Kyle Anderson, an injured Danny Green and Gasol.

Also don't forget the injured fuckface.  "Injured."