Earl Campbell being Earl Campbell

Cairn Horn88

6 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Earl Campbell highlights should be required viewing for all young boys who want to play football.

That would require a science class, as to "how to tackle an all star running back", without the issues of today in being called for a helmet to helmet tackle...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

No offense to Ricky, but "The Tyler Rose" is still the greatest RB EVER in Longhorn Football history.

His rare combination of size, speed, power and athleticism has probably only been matched by Herschel and maybe Dickerson.....

Thanks Big Earl....🤘

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

That would require a science class, as to "how to tackle an all star running back", without the issues of today in being called for a helmet to helmet tackle..

You're on your own as far as how to bring down a beastly running back with a head of steam, but you can't get a targeting penalty in that situation as long as you keep your facemask pointed where you're going instead of dropping your head and leading with the crown. 

17 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

No offense to Ricky, but "The Tyler Rose" is still the greatest RB EVER in Longhorn Football history.

His rare combination of size, speed, power and athleticism has probably only been matched by Herschel and maybe Dickerson.....

Thanks Big Earl....🤘

Dickerson? No.  Bo Jackson? Probably.

• Like 1

Had a teacher/coach in high school who would tell over and over the story about how back when he was in high school he tackled Earl one time.  At the time, none of us knew who the hell this Earl guy was and we thought said coach was lame for bragging about it.  After finding out who Earl was and watching him steamroll people?  Yeah, gotta give that coach a little respect, especially since he isn't a big guy.  /csb

20 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Had a teacher/coach in high school who would tell over and over the story about how back when he was in high school he tackled Earl one time.  At the time, none of us knew who the hell this Earl guy was and we thought said coach was lame for bragging about it.  After finding out who Earl was and watching him steamroll people?  Yeah, gotta give that coach a little respect, especially since he isn't a big guy.  /csb

In your coach's story, it was a heroic solo tackle.  In reality, it was him and seven teammates.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

In your coach's story, it was a heroic solo tackle.  In reality, it was him and seven teammates.

Hah!  No doubt.  He told it with such pride.  It's been so long, but I want to say one of the times he told it he said he didn't even go for Earl's legs. 

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Saw this posted on secrant....props to them....at least this one time:

quote:
In Arkansas, raising the Texas Longhorns' "Hook 'em Horns" hand gesture is frowned upon by most Razorbacks fans. 

But on Monday afternoon at the Little Rock Touchdown Club's luncheon at the Embassy Suites, one of the greatest Longhorns got away with it. 

As Earl Campbell, 63, walked to his chair on the Touchdown Club stage, he gave the sign as most of the crowd roared with laughter. 

"Only Earl Campbell can come in here and do a 'Hook 'em Horns' sign and not be booed out of the room," said David Bazzel, the Touchdown Club founder and former Razorbacks linebacker. 

In a 13-9 victory at the University of Arkansas on Oct. 15, 1977, Campbell rushed for 188 yards on 34 carries. While Campbell didn't score a touchdown against the Razorbacks, his only reception was one of the biggest plays for the Longhorns. A 28-yard screen pass from Randy McEachern to Campbell set up Ham Jones' go-ahead 1-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter. 

Campbell said he remembered the screen pass, but it was the postgame moment that he remembers the most. 

"I remember coming to Arkansas and getting the screen pass and all that," Campbell said. "Then, 'Bam! What is that?' Cops were telling me to 'keep your head down, son. They're throwing bottles at you.' I said, 'I didn't do anything.' Cops said, 'Just get your a** out of here.' "

For all you youngins out there that never saw this guy play, you really missed something. I'd put him down as the greatest running back in my lifetime. He had it all. He was a Leonard Fournette on every play when it came to basically blowing up would be tacklers.

Kudos.  Thanks.

cool story...but Leonard Fournette has a long long long way to go to be mentioned in the same breath as Earl Fucking Campbell. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

I had forgotten how much punishment Earl took, until I watched the video above. Seems like he is being tackled by 5-6 people on every run. Not only that, but his legs took a pounding, as no one would hit him up high.

No ability to spread the defenders out in those stone age offenses.  Means 9 people in the box all the damn time.  5 yards a carry really meant something back then.

Also, Royal, woof with that wishbone.  Putting Earl close to the line of scrimmage was not your best idea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Loved watching how many tear away jerseys Earl went thru each game

About 10 days ago I was in the store in the stadium explaining tear-away jerseys to a friend from England and a friend from Argentina.

Now I'll send them the video above to show them how a Longhorn bull runs.

24 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

No ability to spread the defenders out in those stone age offenses.  Means 9 people in the box all the damn time.  5 yards a carry really meant something back then.

Also, Royal, woof with that wishbone.  Putting Earl close to the line of scrimmage was not your best idea.

That is what amaze me from the earlier posted video. I did not realize Earl ran from the fullback position early on as much as he did. And still got great yardage usually reserved for the pitch running back. As defenses tended to close down on the full back pretty quickly.

I will never forget the first time I met early at an autograph signing here in Houston when he was with the Oilers. That is one hell of a man one hell of a gentleman and my favorite all-time running back I don't care who else comes in the conversation. Hookem Earl you're the legend at the top of the mountain. You have done University of Texas and the Oilers and your countless millions of fans Nationwideproud and have made us so lucky to have seen you play in to have got them to meet you

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

That is what amaze me from the earlier posted video. I did not realize Earl ran from the fullback position early on as much as he did. And still got great yardage usually reserved for the pitch running back. As defenses tended to close down on the full back pretty quickly.

I will never forget the first time I met early at an autograph signing here in Houston when he was with the Oilers. That is one hell of a man one hell of a gentleman and my favorite all-time running back I don't care who else comes in the conversation. Hookem Earl you're the legend at the top of the mountain. You have done University of Texas and the Oilers and your countless millions of fans Nationwideproud and have made us so lucky to have seen you play in to have got them to meet you

Ricky started out at fullback too.....

Earl was almost a sooner.  Switzer used to say earl would have won 4 heismans at ou because he would have been a tailback from day 1. 

I think the story is earl slept on his decision, woke up and knew it was Texas. Barry said had he known that, he’d have been under his bed all night singing boomer sooner. 

Most of you have probably heard these stories, but now more of you have. 

My old man was at Texas during the earl years, I was on campus during the ricky years. My kids are 8 years away from college, however. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

[csb] 1989/1990 time frame a friend and I were at gregory gym to play racquetball.  We toggled the light switch to let the people inside know that their time was up and we were there and ready for our reserved time.  A few seconds later the little half door opens and out pops this huge leg and then the rest of Earl.  He asks, "we just have a couple more points for this game, is it OK if we finish?"  We say, "sure, take all the time you need."  That moment is the only time of my high school or college career that I regret that camera phones weren't around yet.[/csb]

God Bless Earl Campbell

• 3 months later...

Motivational story about Tyler Campbell.     

EP-190129498.jpg?Q=75&maxW=960&maxH=960

Tyler Campbell doesn’t consider himself a motivational speaker, but watching him address a group of salespeople last week screamed otherwise.

Earl Campbell’s youngest son never uses notes or props. He speaks from the heart and lets the audience draw its own conclusion. The married father of two has lived a lifetime in just 32 years, having come to grips with some personal issues in high school, a huge bout of depression in college and a multiple sclerosis diagnosis — but he keeps running through obstacles just like he did as a star running back at Westlake.

“I feel anyone can get on a platform and speak,” Campbell said. “To me, it’s deeper.”

And for good reason. Campbell has such a story to tell.

The former running back’s life nearly bottomed out at age 16. Then a Westlake junior, he was sent to alternative school after police officers pulled him out of the stands at a basketball game after smelling alcohol on his breath.

“I was drunk,” Campbell said, matter-of-factly.

That life lesson helped give him a platform to help others, including himself, when he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis at the age of 21.

On the night of his final game of his junior season at San Diego State — he enrolled there following a stint at Pasadena City College that lasted just two games after a shoulder injury — he went to sleep but woke up in the middle of the night not feeling well. When he stood up, he fell flat on his face.

“I had paralysis on the right side of my body,” he recalled. “I tried to yell, but the words were not there. I had no equilibrium. I was terrified.”

Tests revealed multiple sclerosis, an autoimmune disease.

“I couldn’t even pronounce it,” he said.

Doctors warned that another relapse would mean the end of his football career. The next semester, he returned to school, graduated in May and was named captain of the team. The senior fullback did not reveal his condition to anyone. Following the season, he participated in a Pro Day and spoke to several NFL scouts on hand. He was dreaming of an NFL camp invitation, but one week later, he went face down again.

And just like that, football was over for him. But life wasn’t.

He earned his bachelor’s degree in business administration, returned to Austin and took over as the sales account manager of Earl Campbell Meat Products. He and his older brother Christian — who handles Campbell’s schedule, marketing, charity work and public appearance schedule — carry themselves with a humility you wouldn’t guess from having a famous father who happens to be a Pro Football Hall of Famer.

Along the way, he married Shana in 2011. They have two kids: Messiah, 5, and Cheyenne, 1.

These days, he wakes up at 4:30 a.m., says his prayers and reads his bible to get his day started. He must receive Tysabri infusions once every six weeks — a two-and-a-half-hour process — and maintain a strict diet.

“MS is different for everyone, so you have to find one that works for you,” said Campbell, an ambassador for the National MS Society. “Hopefully with the help of the diet, I will be medication-free. All in God’s time.”

Campbell did his first corporate speech when he was 23. In the decade since, he’s spoken at another 20 events to young students, colleges and businesses. Last week’s speech to employees of Texas Enterprises Inc. at the Renaissance Hotel at the Arboretum was met with incredible enthusiasm. Campbell, speaking without notes, captivated his audience for 40 minutes. They listened, they laughed and they applauded.

“I’m walking away feeling very inspired,” said Kendall Smith, TEI’s director of marketing. “Tyler was incredible.”

Campbell said the high school drinking episode caused him to re-evaluate his priorities. His father told him to call every single college coach who had recruited him, whether they’d offered a scholarship or not, and explain what he had done. One coach even asked: “Tyler, why are you even telling me this? You’re better off keeping it to yourself.”

Granted a return for his senior year, he quickly realized that his lapse in judgment affected his national status as a recruit. The letters weren’t pouring in anymore. There were no offers from Division I schools. An offer to play at San Diego State was pulled because the coach thought he was signing with Texas A&M. Campbell thought about quitting.

Earl Campbell was hearing none of that.

“A Campbell man never quits,” Earl told his son. “If you quit one thing, you will be quitting for the rest of your life.”

His son didn’t quit. In fact, he’s just getting started. Tyler says his biggest hope is to watch Messiah and Cheyenne graduate from high school.

For now, it’s business as usual.

“I am just going where God leads me,” Campbell said.

https://www.statesman.com/sports/20190123/golden-tyler-campbell-turning-life-lessons-into-positive-message

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

On 10/17/2018 at 1:53 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Earl was almost a sooner.  Switzer used to say earl would have won 4 heismans at ou because he would have been a tailback from day 1. 

I think the story is earl slept on his decision, woke up and knew it was Texas. Barry said had he known that, he’d have been under his bed all night singing boomer sooner. 

My old man was at Texas during the earl years, I was on campus during the ricky years. My kids are 8 years away from college, however. 

yeah, In one of my Longhorn books there's a story of one of Darrell Royal's coaches (IIRC, it was Mike Campbell) sitting with Earl in a motel room. They wanted to hide Earl from that cheatin' scumbag switzer until signing day. LOL  There is absolutely no tellin' what all switzer would have offered Earl to go to okiehoma. 

great story.

You can debate forever on the "best" RB's, but Earl was without question the baddest MF of all time at the position.  He was a man among boys at every level he played.  I was pretty young when he was at Texas, but it was must see TV when Earl was with the Oilers (and I hated the oilers).  I still get chills watching his highlights.  I've never seen another back with his speed and size run with such blatant disregard for the health and safety of everyone on the field (including his own).   You''ll never see it again.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, blutow said:

great story.

You can debate forever on the "best" RB's, but Earl was without question the baddest MF of all time at the position.  He was a man among boys at every level he played.  I was pretty young when he was at Texas, but it was must see TV when Earl was with the Oilers (and I hated the oilers).  I still get chills watching his highlights.  I've never seen another back with his speed and size run with such blatant disregard for the health and safety of everyone on the field (including his own).   You''ll never see it again.  

It's hard to compare generations for several obvious reasons.  When I was a kid, Jim Brown was the Earl Campbell or Ricky Williams of his day.  Personally, I think Earl had the greatest combo of power, speed and athleticism that I've seen in one back in my lifetime.  I remember Lam Jones running track in high school and the state finals of the mile relay ('76?) is one of the greatest high school events I've ever seen. Then a couple of years later, the football team was having 100 yd races at the stadium, only one person beat Earl and that was Lam Jones - and it wasnt by much - but to see that big body stay with a world class sprinter was amazing, IMO

• Like 2

Love Earl, but being a relatively new football fan (when I moved to Texas in 2011), I find it interesting how often commentators mention his size. 220 pounds is right about average in the NFL these days, and I never hear Adrian Peterson get lauded for his size. Were players smaller on average back then? I can't find any size comparisons over the years. 

On 10/16/2018 at 4:01 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

cool story...but Leonard Fournette has a long long long way to go to be mentioned in the same breath as Earl Fucking Campbell. 

thank you.  fucker deserves a neg for comparing earl fucking campbell to some guy from louisiana. 

6 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Love Earl, but being a relatively new football fan (when I moved to Texas in 2011), I find it interesting how often commentators mention his size. 220 pounds is right about average in the NFL these days, and I never hear Adrian Peterson get lauded for his size. Were players smaller on average back then? I can't find any size comparisons over the years. 

they were about the same.  I think the average OL when earl played was around 330#

1 hour ago, futureman said:

they were about the same.  I think the average OL when earl played was around 330#

RB's haven't gotten much bigger, but OL's in the 70's and  early 80's were tiny by today's standards.  Average would certainly be under 275, probably closer to 260.    

There were other backs the size of the Earl in his day, but nobody with the speed and punishing running style.  

Edited by blutow
typo

22 minutes ago, blutow said:

RB's haven't gotten much bigger, but OL's in the 70's and  early 80's were tiny by today's standards.  Average would certainly be under 275, probably closer to 260.    

There were other backs the size of the Earl in his day, but nobody with the speed and punishing running style.  

I know.  this is all correct.  but we already have a bluto.

2 hours ago, futureman said:

300#'s were rare even into the 80's in the nfl. Much more so in college. I looked up Anthony Munoz as an example who was probably the best ol in the nfl in the 80's and he was listed at 6-6 280.

On 10/16/2018 at 3:41 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You youngsters that never got to experience the hatred of being in the conference with Arkansas really missed something. It approached the OU hatred, but with a home and home. My trips to Fayetteville were my favorite away games.

I traveled Arkansas for business back in the 80s, and I learned to stay in Dallas the entire month of October. The people were very respectful of UT the rest of the year, but damn they were surly for a couple of weeks before and after the game. Since we didn’t beat them 3 out of 4, I would sometimes stay home in November, too. 

Earl Campbell was my childhood hero and forever shaped my life as a sports fan. Would I care about football or Houston pro sports if not for 34? I've never had a certain answer for that because there were some players and teams of impact in that era in Houston,  but I've always known that what Earl brought to my little kid life in the late 70s/early 80s was meaningful and transformative for my little Htown life. 

Earl and the Bum Phillips Luv Ya Blue Oilers were everything to me. They were my first love and I will always cherish Earl for the memories he gave me as a little kid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 10/17/2018 at 1:53 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Great stories.  

Shook Earl’s hand once.  I ran track with a kid who went to HS in Tyler.  Earl knew the kid’s family and walked right up.  Even then (1998) it was painful to see him walk. Still had that hulking frame but everything cracked.  Years of meating out punishment...

Talk about a gentle giant.  Just an all around great guy...acted like another dude out there under that scorching Texas sun. An all timer...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eggo said:

The starting offensive line for the 1978 Houston Oilers

6'6", 265 lbs
6'4", 263 lbs
6'4", 243 lbs
6'3", 249 lbs
6'3", 264 lbs

Average weight - 256.8 lbs

Earl Campbell - 5'11", 232 lbs

An equivalent running back for the 2018 Houston Texans (25 pounds lighter than their average OL) would weigh 283 pounds.

• Like 1