Do You Remember? 60s-80s

retread

48 minutes ago, wd40 said:

did any y'all ever replace the webbing in one of these?  my folks bought a roll of webbing material, planning to do our whole set (of two--- my brother and I had to sit on the ground), but only did one because it was such a PITA.  by the time the webbing went bad, the rivets were all shot anyway.   just the whole thought process was diferent, back then.  seems like we just throw everything away, now.

il_570xN.497711237_ftxe.jpg

I looked forward to projects like that because it meant spending time with my dad repairing things. Good life lessons.

7 hours ago, Watashi said:

As i recall there were three of these sets, an old west version and a military set.  We had this one22dc18d6ed469a6a4a0597a025a3c851.jpg

I got the elephant rifle for Christmas when I was knee-high to a junebug. It was the most awesome thing I had ever owned...perhaps sill is. A couple fo days later I took it with me to grandma's house a couple of hours from home for the family holiday visit. It disappeared. Just as we were leaving the little shithead cousins ran up with it, it was covered it paint, an awful blueberry puke color, with no rhyme nor reason. They said, "we painted it for you!" Heartsick to the bone, I swallowed my crushing disappointment and replied, "you can have it." They were stoked.

I cried in the back seat of the car for half the trip, then my soul just died. There was no justice to be had, no retribution, no apologies offered, no sympathy. They destroyed my favorite thing in the world, and nobody gave a fuck.

It was perhaps the most traumatic event of my life, completely destroying my trust in human beings.

Anyway, TMI. That's probably the main reason I became an asshole.

Edited by DougO

19 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

8kfZT3QM_o.jpg

Yes!

We would tape a nail in the front and razor blades along the side of the wings, then go have kite fights.  Nothing like a kite with 6 razor blades on it whipping around doing loops.  You learned how to launch it by yourself real quick. 

• Like 2

I'll see your NFL jackets and raise you this:

Image result for 70's nfl sheets

Loved the NFL Sheets as a kid.....of course I had a roommate after college that was sporting a more modern version of this on his bed....we were out drinking one night and he was lamenting his lack of action in said sheets.....to which another friends girl goes....."no self respecting woman is getting it on with someone in a bed with NFL sheets".....said sheets disappeared shortly thereafter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davidg said:

We would tape a nail in the front and razor blades along the side of the wings, then go have kite fights.  Nothing like a kite with 6 razor blades on it whipping around doing loops.  You learned how to launch it by yourself real quick. 

It was fun until you happened to fly said kites into the power lines. On accident, of course.