2018 College Football Playoff Rankings

LTtxfan

DtDGny9XQAAYRBL.jpg:large

Oklahoma-#5 vs Texas-#14
Ohio State-#6 vs N'western-#21... (seems the XII has an advantage over the B1G, if the SEC holds up with Alabama beating Georgia on Saturday)...

37 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is a more relevant take than the virtually impossible scenario that gives Texas above 50% chance (also keep in mind 538 is kind of full of shit):

Alabama and Clemson win; Oklahoma and Ohio State lose.

Chances of happening: 4 percent
Likely playoff field: Alabama (>99 percent), Clemson (>99), Notre Dame (98) and … ???
Others: Texas (31 percent), Georgia (29), UCF (23), Washington (12), Ohio State (5)

Most of the scenarios on this list involve too many good teams for too few slots. But in this particular case, there wouldn’t be enough. The committee would be staring at three clear-cut deserving squads, plus a whole bunch of flawed lower-tier teams in the mix for the fourth and final bid. Our model actually thinks three-loss (!) Texas would be the most likely candidate, though this is also one of UCF’s best, most viable paths to that elusive playoff berth.

This is agreeable, this weekend should be a blast..!...

OU and tOSU are lucky to be in the discussion for 4.  Both are flawed teams.  Neither really should bitch if left out but how in the fuck do you lose by 25 to Purdue and still get considered even over UCF.  That's the bullshit brand and all the talking heads that love them - ie Herbie.  OU has a garbage D but as far as results there's zero shame in losing on a last minute fg to Texas on a neutral field.  None. 

I’m shocked Pollock didn’t back down. He refused to forgive OSU for their inconsistency. Which obviously Herbstreit had no problem doing. Even Galloway stuck to his guns..interesting indeed.

Of course I think the entire conversation is acedemic because I don’t see OU beating Texas. It has nothing to do with being a fan. But I have eyes too. And though they are two very evenly matched teams, Texas has the intangibles. And by 4:00 pm on 12/1 OU will be making plans for something other then the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

OU and tOSU are lucky to be in the discussion for 4.  Both are flawed teams.  Neither really should bitch if left out but how in the fuck do you lose by 25 to Purdue and still get considered even over UCF.  That's the bullshit brand and all the talking heads that love them - ie Herbie.  OU has a garbage D but as far as results there's zero shame in losing on a last minute fg to Texas on a neutral field.  None. 

I see you watched only the last 9 mins of that game

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Penn State at #12 is super lame. Iowa's the only semi-decent team they've beaten.

This is Exhibit A why preseason rankings matter.  There is no way on earth that a preseason team with their resume would be in the top 15.  Zero impressive wins, and shit all over themselves multiple times.

17 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:
  1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. Notre Dame
  4. Georgia
  5. ou
  6. Ohio State
  7. Michigan
  8. UCF
  9. Florida
  10. LSU
  11. Washington
  12. Penn State
  13. Washington State
  14. Texas
  15. Kentucky
  16. West Virginia
  17. Utah
  18. Mississippi State
  19. aggy
  20. Syracuse
  21. Northwestern
  22. Boise State
  23. Iowa State
  24. Missouri
  25. Fresno State

This is the worst one yet. How are the AP voters and Coaches getting it twice as right as these clowns that actually have a say in who makes it in?

Michigan at #7? Are you fucking shitting me? Who cares where Texas is - anyone who thinks Michigan is the 7th best team in the country is out of their damn mind. 

Also apparently we are getting punished for not blowing out a Kansas team that has managed to stay in basically every conference game this season.

And yet - they slot OU above Ohio State? I just don't get it. I'm so over this shit. The 2 team BCS format was better than this clown show.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

This is the worst one yet. How are the AP voters and Coaches getting it twice as right as these clowns that actually have a say in who makes it in?

Michigan at #7? Are you fucking shitting me? Who cares where Texas is - anyone who thinks Michigan is the 7th best team in the country is out of their damn mind. 

Also apparently we are getting punished for not blowing out a Kansas team that has managed to stay in basically every conference game this season.

And yet - they slot OU above Ohio State? I just don't get it. I'm so over this shit. The 2 team BCS format was better than this clown show.

Michigan at 7 is unbelievable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

They don't watch the games.. they don't talk about anything.. ESPN feeds them the rankings for TV purposes. ESPN wants Murray's high flying offense against Bama in that semi. 

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Kentucky 

Kenfuckingtucky

yeah, Florida and Missery suck.

but Kentucky is a whole different level of suck.

They think that Texas and Kentucky would be a coin flip. 

That team would be lucky to score 10 points on us come bowl season. 

We're 14th, West Virginia is 16th. That doesn't bode well for us staying ahead of them and getting the Sugar Bowl bid if we lose and Oklahoma makes the playoff. Oh well, guess that means we have to kick Oklahoma's ass.
Came here to post this. We won't drop much if we lose but they'll slot WVU right in front of us.

Also lo fucking l we aren't making the playoff

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:
Original tweet said it looks more and more like Texas vs Florida or Georgia in Sugar Bowl.

wut? The Playoff committee ranks the teams not Big 12. Isn't the Sugar contractually obligated to take the next highest CFP ranked Big 12 team?.. WVU & Texas would have similar records if we lose to OU..  and WVU will get the nod with the head to head. 

Edited by UTEX_ME

If we lose a close one to OU, I'd be shocked if the committee dropped us below WVU. We finished 2nd in the conference and they finished 4th. Sure, we'd have one more loss than they do but we will have played TWO more games (remember, their game against a decent NC State team was cancelled). Then again, this committee smokes crack so who knows?

Let's just win and we won't have to sweat any of this.

54 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

We're 14th, West Virginia is 16th. That doesn't bode well for us staying ahead of them and getting the Sugar Bowl bid if we lose and Oklahoma makes the playoff. Oh well, guess that means we have to kick Oklahoma's ass.

Kick their ass??? I expect nothing less...

These rankings are bad. Reminds me of the movie RV with robin williams and the shitter scene. 

But instead the crowd is every knowledgeable football fan watching the idiots rank these teams accordingly but end up with a total shit explosion  

If we lose a close one to OU, I'd be shocked if the committee dropped us below WVU. We finished 2nd in the conference and they finished 4th. Sure, we'd have one more loss than they do but we will have played TWO more games (remember, their game against a decent NC State team was cancelled). Then again, this committee smokes crack so who knows?
Let's just win and we won't have to sweat any of this.

I agree that logically, if they were going to give WVU the nod because of H2H they would have kept them there ahead of us after the OU game. All we did was beat Kansas. If they saw WVU's 8-3 as comparable to our 9-3, then them losing to an OU team ranked well ahead of both of us should not have really moved the needle. Similarly, were Texas to lose a close game to #5, does that really warrant dropping from #14 and moving an idle WVU ahead?

No. But as you said it's all make believe. Hopefully Texas wins and makes this moot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Said it last year also, but the BCS was better than this

I am actually kind of suprised. I figured the committee would just put Ohio State up there and explain that they were just so dominant against Michigan. But I guess there is still time after Northwestern lays down like good boys.

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Here's an interesting one - what if Clemson loses and Bama, OU and tOSU win?

That's easy.  Those 3 + the Catholics.  That would actually be the easiest calculation.

If Clemson loses, they should never, ever get anywhere near the playoff.  The ACC has no other team in the Top 25 and Pitt - PITT - is the opponent.  Hell they should drop just playing them.  But they'll win by 20.  I mean that's not even debatable - and Clemson isn't exactly stellar this year.

No one with > 1 loss should be in the playoff this year.  If Ga, OU, and OSU lose, UCF should go - broked up QB and all.  But yeah, like that's gonna happen.   P.S.  Josh Heupel is a fuckuva coach.

21 minutes ago, maninblack said:

This thing was stupid from the start and has proven itself to be worse than the BCS every year

The SEC bias is bullshit and overall it does affect how the MNC plays out, but the committee over the top bias is disgusting.  

BCS having 2 polls with more or less bias, several computer models with differing biases built in, and some other factor like SoS... well, there was still a bias but it was more evenly distributed.

this shit of letting a group of dumbasses decide what's what is terrible.  It's a poll with far fewer voters and thus more prone to bias.  And it's a poll where fucking OU has 2 of 13 voters with a heavy interest in their own team.   Clemson also has 2 reps though their former player doesn't have to recuse himself, maybe he's just not a fan.  

• Like 2