2018 College Football Playoff Rankings

LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, northernwv said:

Just stopping by to let you guys know that WVU can't go to the Sugar Bowl instead of you 

http://wvmetronews.com/2018/11/27/sugar-bowl-out-of-picture-west-virginia-texas-big-12/

We have been going back and forth on the selection process for the Sugar what seems like weeks. My original understanding was that it was in fact the league runner up but there had been a lot of conflicting info. Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, UTEX_ME said:

wut? The Playoff committee ranks the teams not Big 12. Isn't the Sugar contractually obligated to take the next highest CFP ranked Big 12 team?.. WVU & Texas would have similar records if we lose to OU..  and WVU will get the nod with the head to head. 

Had to look back to 2015 to clear this up. It appears that the SEC uses CFP rankings, but the big 12 uses conference ranking. In 2015, OU won the Big 12 and went to the CFP. There was a tie for second between OSU and TCU. TCU was ranked ahead of OSU in the final CFP poll, but OSU got the nod for the Sugar thanks to head to head tie breaker. Here’s a mention of it before it happened:

https://www.dish.com/dig/sports/explaining-the-sugar-bowl-selection-process/

Funny enough, there’s a link to a Baylor site in there that projected them to go to the Sugar by winning a 3 way tie for 2nd...when they beat Texas. They got the procedures right, but guess that didn’t work out for them in the end.

https://www.ourdailybears.com/baylor-bears-2015-football-season/2015/11/29/9814894/big-12-tiebreaker-sugar-bowl-bid-procedures-explained-tcu-baylor-oklahoma-state

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 5:16 PM, notre dame joe said:

World is counting on you Horns to minimize bitching about the CFP.  Or at least make sure it all comes from Central Florida.

Dude.  It's all about Georgia.  And if you think doing any favors for you guys is part of our bulletin board material for Saturday, i have beach front property....

38 minutes ago, immamac said:

8 team playoff just fixes everything. Win and your in for P5 Conference Champs + a beauty pageant that matters significantly less than this trash. 

Rankings don't even make sense anymore in this CFP system

Agree completely, takes the rankings shenanigans out of play for the 5 guaranteed spots, arguing for the final 3 spots amongst teams who really didn't earn a spot is much more palatable.  Would it suck to be voted 9th?  Sure.  Would you REALLY have a claim?  Not really.   This year we could easily be that 9th team but I wouldn't say we have earned a spot in the playoffs.

the only controversy will be a good 10-2 team who gets beat in their CCG to fall to 10-3 and gets passed up for the 8th spot by a 9-3 SEC team sitting at home.  Not all that controversial to be honest.  

2 hours ago, texaslong said:

Florida, Mizzou, and Kentucky are jokes. 

Florida and Kentucky yes, Mizzou actually turned out to be pretty decent and ranked where they should be.

Losses to Alabama and Georgia.

SC beat them at home on last second FG

Kentucky stole their win on one of the worst PI calls I've ever seen (2nd now to LSU's in 7OT) on last play of game.

Mizzou could easily be 9-3 or even 10-2 with losses to ALA and Georgia only

Looking at current CFP rankings as a proxy for seeding - after this weekend, an eight team playoff with five P5 autobids, highest ranked G5 champ, and two at large could give us this first round slate on December 16/17...

#1 Alabama vs #8 Texas (Fuck OU) in Tuscaloosa

#2 Clemson vs #7 Washington in Clemson

#3 ND vs #6 UCF in South Bend

#4 Ohio State vs #5 Georgia in Columbus

I would volunteer Texas as tribute to see that.

• Like 1

That's easy.  Those 3 + the Catholics.  That would actually be the easiest calculation.

If Clemson loses, they should never, ever get anywhere near the playoff.  The ACC has no other team in the Top 25 and Pitt - PITT - is the opponent.  Hell they should drop just playing them.  But they'll win by 20.  I mean that's not even debatable - and Clemson isn't exactly stellar this year.

No one with > 1 loss should be in the playoff this year.  If Ga, OU, and OSU lose, UCF should go - broked up QB and all.  But yeah, like that's gonna happen.   P.S.  Josh Heupel is a fuckuva coach.

You know how I know you haven’t watched many Clemson games this year? They’ve been pretty fucking good since making full-time switch to Lawrence.

The hilarious part of all of this is that they are just rebranding the BCS as a "Playoff".  It is the same shit, run by the same fucking dipshit, Bill Hancock, the quintessential Yes Man for the P5 Commissioners. The removed the computers and replaced with a committee of fucktards, and added one layer of play-in games. This is not a fucking playoff. It is a closed system and these fuck-stains are getting away with the same old shit as usual. They will never allow a true playoff unless it is forced. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, C-Man said:

You know how I know you haven’t watched many Clemson games this year? They’ve been pretty fucking good since making full-time switch to Lawrence.

Does she make you hold her purse when y’all watch Clemson games?

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

We're 14th, West Virginia is 16th. That doesn't bode well for us staying ahead of them and getting the Sugar Bowl bid if we lose and Oklahoma makes the playoff. Oh well, guess that means we have to kick Oklahoma's ass.

We’re not gonna be punished for playing an extra game are we?

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Looking at current CFP rankings as a proxy for seeding - after this weekend, an eight team playoff with five P5 autobids, highest ranked G5 champ, and two at large could give us this first round slate on December 16/17...

I can only get so hard.

• Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Love it, but play them all in one stadium (Jerryworld), one right after the other.

My biggest problem with the SEC bias is that every team in that league buys three wins each year and no one calls them on it.  If Tech and KSU would have bought a third win against an FCS school instead of playing the Miss schools, we would have 90% of our league in a bowl game.  

I see people on social media talking about the Maryland loss keeping us below SEC teams, so maybe we should buy 3 wins every year too.  Until they level the playing field, which won't happen because ESPN deep throats the SEC, this will be a forever rigged system.  

Give me eight teams and a way to win my way in on the field.  Enough of this beauty pageant bullshit.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Wife is a Clemson grad and big FB fan. Besides, they’ve usually been a much better watch than Texas since we started dating in 2012. But we appear to be turning the corner.

Fair enough. Makes sense.

I don't think Clemson is shaky at all fwiw - prob the only team that can give Bama 4 quarters this season.

This clown show needs to end...like others have said many many times...8 teams 5 autobids for p5 and 3 at large

So many years of bs but thats what they want so everyone keeps talking about it.

Bcs and before was "regular season matters". Now regular season doesnt mean shit and you get a chance without even being best 2 teams in your conference

We are lucky that we root for a school that will never be left out if we win or in conversation

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Meh, homerism.  I've watched enough.  This year's Clemson team would lose to last year's by 14.  Anyway tap the brakes. They're going to stomp the living shit out of Pitt, by far the worst team in a P5 CCG, so you're gripping about nothing except some sort of vague pride or whatnot.

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Meh, homerism.  I've watched enough.  This year's Clemson team would lose to last year's by 14.  Anyway tap the brakes. They're going to stomp the living shit out of Pitt, by far the worst team in a P5 CCG, so you're gripping about nothing except some sort of vague pride or whatnot.  Going through the ACC this year is like going through dogshit.  Big fucking deal.

38 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Meh, homerism.  I've watched enough.  This year's Clemson team would lose to last year's by 14.  Anyway tap the brakes. They're going to stomp the living shit out of Pitt, by far the worst team in a P5 CCG, so you're gripping about nothing except some sort of vague pride or whatnot.

Not a chance. Trevor Lawrence's passing ability gives Clemson an element they didn't have last season with Kelly Bryant. Etienne has been a beast and almost the entire defense came back from last season. This year's team is better than last year's.

8 hours ago, jinx said:

My biggest problem with the SEC bias is that every team in that league buys three wins each year and no one calls them on it.  If Tech and KSU would have bought a third win against an FCS school instead of playing the Miss schools, we would have 90% of our league in a bowl game.  

Well, about that... So Tech and KState get credit for playing sec @ home, but sec is weak and only looks good because "every team in that league buys three wins each year" ???

I know what you're saying, but I think you may be getting carried away

USCe vs Clempson

UGa vs GT

UF vs FSU

UK vs Louisville

Missouri vs Purdue

10rc vs WVU

Bama vs Louisville

Auburn vs UW

LSU vs Miami

MSU vs Kstate

Klan Vs Texas Tech

Three bought wins by The SEC teams mentioned above only exception is UF they only bought 2 their other non con was Colorado St.

USCe - Coastal Carolina

Chattanooga

Akron

UGA - Austin Peay

Middle Tenn

U Mass

UF -  Charleston So.

Idaho

UK - C. Michigan

Murray State

Middle Tenn

Missouri - UT Martin

Wyoming

Memphis

Tenn - ETSU

UTEP

Charlotte

Bama - Arkansas St.

Louisiana

The Citadel

LSU - SE Louisiana

Louisiana Tech

Rice

Miss State - SF Austin

Louisiana

Louisiana Tech

Ole Miss - S. Illinois

UL Monroe

Kent State

1 hour ago, BB65 said:

Three bought wins by The SEC teams mentioned above only exception is UF they only bought 2 their other non con was Colorado St.                      

Fair enough, but you have no idea how many losses that Colorado St game cost the Gata

Spoiler

c_fdrcywsaemvdb.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

This is the "if Bama loses" plan. BUT MUH SEC HAS 7 teams in the top 20 so we have to keep BAMA in the top 4!

Those other squads dont matter. Bama is in anyway. They won't drop past 4 no matter what.  The SEC probably wants Bama to lose so they can get GA in too.  To be honest, even as an SEC hater, I think Bama would deserve to be in even with a loss to GA unless they got blown out. They still would have a better resume than tOSU or OU.  Not gonna happen though. Bama will beat GA by 2 or 3 TDs. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Those other squads dont matter. Bama is in anyway. They won't drop past 4 no matter what.  The SEC probably wants Bama to lose so they can get GA in too.  To be honest, even as an SEC hater, I think Bama would deserve to be in even with a loss to GA unless they got blown out. They still would have a better resume than tOSU or OU.  Not gonna happen though. Bama will beat GA by 2 or 3 TDs. 

They are the best team in the country, so if that's the criterion then they clearly deserve to go.

But if they lose to Georgia then they will have only one win over a team with fewer than 4 losses (LSU) and an absolutely atrocious non-conference schedule. It's not their fault that Louisville is so awful this year but Alabama's non-conference opponents were ranked #114, #85, #111, and #161 in Sagarin's ratings. That should definitely be a topic of discussion, but of course it won't and they'll just sail right into the playoff. In all honesty if they lose to Georgia then their résumé won't be that impressive if you only look at wins, losses, schedule, etc. I'd obviously bet on them straight up against any other team, but you mentioned the word résumé and typically that's what people mean by that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Kentucky stole their win on one of the worst PI calls I've ever seen (2nd now to LSU's in 7OT) on last play of game.

Lol.  Missouri had an 11pt lead with less than 6 minutes to play but let shitastic UK walk out with a win.  Ol Missouri was held w/out a first down that 2nd half.  

At this point there is nothing I want to see more than total chaos

- Bama beats Georgia
- Northwestern beats OSU
- Pitt beats Clemson
- Texas beats OU (because OUsux & fuckOU)
- Utah beats Washington (not really relevant, but still)
- UCF beats Memphis (because I'm not completely insane)

Now tell me who goes to the playoffs

1. Bama
2. Notre Dame (as much as that make me puke)
3. UCF (because why not)
4. ??? (Georgia - fuck no way 2 SEC teams), Clemson (they just lost to PItt), Michy (they sucked donkey dicks in Columbus), OU (as noted above OUsux) .... so yeah, Clemson (and they'd be in at #3, so UCF would have to play Bama.

I know that is all very, very unlikely - but a kid can dream, right?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

They are the best team in the country, so if that's the criterion then they clearly deserve to go.

But if they lose to Georgia then they will have only one win over a team with fewer than 4 losses (LSU) and an absolutely atrocious non-conference schedule. It's not their fault that Louisville is so awful this year but Alabama's non-conference opponents were ranked #114, #85, #111, and #161 in Sagarin's ratings. That should definitely be a topic of discussion, but of course it won't and they'll just sail right into the playoff. In all honesty if they lose to Georgia then their résumé won't be that impressive if you only look at wins, losses, schedule, etc. I'd obviously bet on them straight up against any other team, but you mentioned the word résumé and typically that's what people mean by that.

Well, part of the resume is the name at the top.  And Bama is a legacy at Harvard as far as names on resumes go. I get that OU has better wins, but that defense really has no business sniffing the playoffs even if they beat us this weekend. 

That being said, I do think OU could outscore ND, GA, tOSU, and Clemson if they needed to so maybe I am wrong. Hopefully, we put that idea to sleep on Saturday anyway. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

23 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Lol.  Missouri had an 11pt lead with less than 6 minutes to play but let shitastic UK walk out with a win.  Ol Missouri was held w/out a first down that 2nd half.  

Totally agree that Missouri laid an egg 2nd half, but how you call this on defender and not receiver if going to call it....

26 minutes ago, Underdog said:

But the Cats beat them both. 

Yeah, well wait till Baseball season smart guy!

Is ND a playoff threat?

ND is the biggest fraud out there right now... I hope Kelly gets his extension before the bowl game, cause those boys are gonna get papal treatment.