Eggnog Time, Mother Fuckers

2 hours ago, pied06 said:

LOVE egg nog and interested in trying the Alton Brown recipe and curious if anyone has ever made it non-alcoholic or does it just ruin it?

There's 2 Alton Brown egg nog recipes...one with a ton of booze and no egg whites that can be aged (because of the booze), and a more classic one with the fluffy whites. I'd imagine the latter is better for NA for a more creamy, sugary, foamy eggnog. Both are good but I haven't left booze out of either, and to be honest, when I made the 'classic' I but more bourbon than it called for.

https://altonbrown.com/recipes/eggnog/

https://altonbrown.com/recipes/aged-eggnog/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 8:30 PM, CycleTex87 said:

I wouldn’t leave the non alcoholic version to age for a month or six weeks. I wouldn’t drink it at that point.  

Appreciate the replies guys.  Curious, does the alcohol make the egg nog "last" longer?  Just curious as to why that might be.  Apologies for asking a dumb question.  :) 

On 11/18/2022 at 7:16 PM, PantsTent said:

There's 2 Alton Brown egg nog recipes...one with a ton of booze and no egg whites that can be aged (because of the booze), and a more classic one with the fluffy whites. I'd imagine the latter is better for NA for a more creamy, sugary, foamy eggnog. Both are good but I haven't left booze out of either, and to be honest, when I made the 'classic' I but more bourbon than it called for.

https://altonbrown.com/recipes/eggnog/

https://altonbrown.com/recipes/aged-eggnog/

After having made both a couple times I'm a bigger fan of the aged version. The egg whites add some fluff but they settle so fast and separate out and I find them to be kind of a pain in the ass. If you need fluff, hit it with some whipped cream.

OK, taking a little different direction but staying on topic.   A few days in and I've tried three different (store bought) brands. 

Got two at Kroger, their Private Selection and Volleman's (fancy glass bottle you have to return).

Private Selection - it's not worth the money if it is any more than other types.  It's very thin, under spiced and sweet.  It's not bad, simply nothing there to recommend.  I make mrs. pied's coffee with egg nog during the season and this is what it's good for.

Volleman's - was excited to try this one.  I think this dairy is out of Tyler and they do a good job with the packaging.  Not sure exactly how to return the bottles, but won't be buying this one again.  Good thickness, but it's just sweet~ egg nog milk.  Better than the Private Selection, but nothing to make you want and get more.  

Braum's - turned on to this last year and had low expectations, but think this is a very above average egg nog.  Good thickness and spice.  This will be my go to for a long time.

On 11/29/2022 at 10:31 AM, pied06 said:

Volleman's - was excited to try this one.  I think this dairy is out of Tyler and they do a good job with the packaging.  Not sure exactly how to return the bottles...

Most grocery stores have a service desk and that is often where bottle deposits are refunded. We occasionally buy a local bottled milk for one of my kiddos and it has a two dollar and change refund if I bring the bottle back to the desk at our store. When we lived up north, we used to buy cases of beer from various breweries and keep a box or two in the kitchen to fill up because they all had returnable bottles.

• Hook 'Em 1

We made our aged recipe back in October  except  going forward we have decided to drop the Jamaican rum  and go back to our preferred rum, Chairman's Reserve. So I am making another batch this week for us to drink around the New Year. We still have a quart of the original that we're holding back for Christmas.

For some reason I recently rabbit-holed on the origins of eggnog.  Some of the origin story is murky and disputed, but it seems that it originated in England and was based on an egg/fig mixture called a "posset."  At some point brandy and sugar and cream were introduced and, because these ingredients were the domain of the wealthy, it was considered a drink of good fortune and became associated with the winter holidays.

Eventually it jumped the pond and, because in the American colonies, farmland was plentiful, eggs and cream were more attainable.  Rum was also cheaper and more available than brandy, so rum was added and in some cases replaced the brandy.  So it became more popular and spread quickly across the colonies.

And now you know... the rest of the story.

Personally I love it with dark rum and bourbon.  I enjoy drinking brandy separately but don't like the flavor of brandy in the nog.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 11:00 AM, MalibuSheriff said:

Man so I miss HEB.  Best ice cream IMO.  My consolation is having Braum’s locations within a golf shot in almost every direction.

01C1A3C2-F3E4-4F52-B5DE-EE9DC2CF2999.thumb.jpeg.5c0083ce3994d4ca901a5e75ec6933d1.jpeg

Agree Braum's is still top notch imo for store bought egg nog.  A couple more to review:

Sprouts - seemed to be not a crazy amount, I think ~$4.99.  Good flavor  but incredibly thick pouring out.  It almost globbed out of the bottle but weidly didn't taste that thick.  Flavor was good, but maybe a little on the spicy instead of sweet side.  

Promised Land - $3.49 for 28 oz.  and a solid competitor to Braum's, thick but smooth.  Good flavor, certainly with a trip to Target(not sure where else it's being carried.  Haven't seen it at Kroger.

As someone who’s too lazy, TL/DR, no time, etc. to make homemade egg nog, I appreciate the recommendations for store bought provided here.

I’ve had Braums, Trader Joe’s, Costco, Borden, HEB, Kroger versions and none hold a candle to Brookshire’s. My favorite far and away.

On 12/12/2022 at 2:31 PM, pied06 said:

Promised Land - $3.49 for 28 oz.  and a solid competitor to Braum's, thick but smooth.  Good flavor, certainly with a trip to Target(not sure where else it's being carried.  Haven't seen it at Kroger.

This is my go to.  HEB has it, which it doesn't sound like you are in the area.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

Just put 2/3 of a batch of Alton Brown Aged Eggnog into the refrigerator.  Because I didn’t get around to it at Halloween.  Because that’s all the bottles I had on the shelf.  Plan to open it in four days.  

Will I die?

Nope.  You can open it a year later and not die.   

13 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Just put 2/3 of a batch of Alton Brown Aged Eggnog into the refrigerator.  Because I didn’t get around to it at Halloween.  Because that’s all the bottles I had on the shelf.  Plan to open it in four days.  

Will I die?

Hang on, I feel stupid. You just made a batch and put 2/3 of it in to the fridge, or you made a batch at Halloween and 2/3 of that has been sitting out somewhere since then and just went into the fridge?

11 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

I made 2/3 of a batch. Because I didn’t have enough bottles to make a full batch. I put all of the eggnog I made into the refrigerator.  I normally bottle up the AB Aged in three 33.75 oz Bormioli Rocco Giara glass bottles.  I only had two available so that’s how much I made. 

fifa GIF by SB Nation

• Haha 1

I made up a batch the first week of November that's been aging in an old milk jug. Plan was to crack it open tomorrow when I'm smoking two briskets for the family. My wife had a cleaning crew come in today to deep clean the house before guests arrive.  The cleaners threw out the nog because it had a November expiration date on it. Words cannot express the depths of my sorrow.

I need to make a visit to the wives thread...

• Rage+1 1

22 hours ago, fuggled said:

I made up a batch the first week of November that's been aging in an old milk jug. Plan was to crack it open tomorrow when I'm smoking two briskets for the family. My wife had a cleaning crew come in today to deep clean the house before guests arrive.  The cleaners threw out the nog because it had a November expiration date on it. Words cannot express the depths of my sorrow.

I need to make a visit to the wives thread...

Damn that sucks.  I've got a year-old batch in the garage fridge that I need to tend to.  I like the vertical flight idea to test the aging process.  What's the oldest that anyone has ever tasted - does it diminish at year 2? 3?

Damn that sucks.  I've got a year-old batch in the garage fridge that I need to tend to.  I like the vertical flight idea to test the aging process.  What's the oldest that anyone has ever tasted - does it diminish at year 2? 3?
Last year I had some from the 2019 batch and it had thickened substantially. Don't remember the taste being much different.
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
3 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Gonna make some AB ones this week and let age until the holidays.  Never done it before.  

I've done the last 4 years and love it. Will make mine in a couple of weeks. Don't skimp on the liquors. I'm not going to use a $70 bourbon, but a couple of years ago I had some leftover cheap Jim Beam and figured it wouldn't matter. It did. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It's not bad enough that Christmas decorations are out a month before Halloween, but now we have to discuss this vile substance for the next three months.

Negged.

I have a couple of quarts from last year put back in the back of the fridge.  I'll probably drink one of them on Thanksgiving, and save the other one to drink alongside the new batch for our annual Christmas party.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I've done the last 4 years and love it. Will make mine in a couple of weeks. Don't skimp on the liquors. I'm not going to use a $70 bourbon, but a couple of years ago I had some leftover cheap Jim Beam and figured it wouldn't matter. It did. 

What are the recommendations for the dark rum and bourbon?  I don't really drink liquor so I'm out of my depth there.