Austin Water Issues Boil Water Notice

3adays

3 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

So what do they do now? Do they boil the water, just do the surgery today, or post pone it?

or did some people already do it not knowing the boil notice?

Can't speak for every hospital, but mine cancelled every surgery that was scheduled today. Not entirely sure what they do for emergent situations. I should probably find out. 

Also, with people panic buying probably hundreds of dollars worth of bottled water, I bet you the $30 Sawyer Squeeze filters and others at REI are fully stocked.
Yeah, I was thinking it would be a great time for Amazon to do targeted marketing for water filters etc

With the water panic, I dare someone to start a facebook rumor that a combination of the hurricane in Florida, local flooding cutting off roads, and the lack of clean water is keeping gasoline deliveries from being made to the Austin area.  Another gas panic on top of the waterpacolypse would do us all in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Judge Roybeanbag said:

With the water panic, I dare someone to start a facebook rumor that a combination of the hurricane in Florida, local flooding cutting off roads, and the lack of clean water is keeping gasoline deliveries from being made to the Austin area.  Another gas panic on top of the waterpacolypse would do us all in.

That's so hilarious it just may work

6 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Mix this in with freezing temperatures and we’ve got ourselves a real life apocalypse. This would cause ammo to run out and looting to occur. I support this as we need to purge Austin a wee bit.

11 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

I wonder what percentage of the population could handle any real emergent situation. One that you can’t Google, call customer service or go to HEB to stay alive or safe.

About 10-12% could actually figure out how to gather water, farm and garden for staples, hunt for meat, and build shelter.  

33 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Start a rumor that there has been a recall on bottled water due to high bacteria concentrations. Watch the apocalypse unfold. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

Start a rumor that there has been a recall on bottled water due to high bacteria concentrations. Watch the apocalypse unfold. 

Yep.  Say Austin Officials/Grocers didn't want all that bottled water from the airport runway in Puerto Rico to go bad, so that's what everyone just bought.  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JimmyGlass said:

To kill bacteria the water has to be brought to a full boil for several minutes.  Coffee makers don't do that. 

I think it is sufficient to bring it to a boil at all. Going the whole 'full boil for three minutes' will make you 100% sure you killed everything, but if the whole volume gets to boiling at all, you are good. So coffee makers are ok, thank god.

Went to the gimp HEB on Burnet at 6:30AM. Parking lot was full. Grabbed 4 gallon jugs of water and the line to check out was 80 people deep. I left the water there.  I'll wait until HEB restocks later and most people die off from thirst.

Edited by CooterBrown

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I’ll go you one better.  Because so many tens of thousands of parents are rushing around looking for water, and then making trips to schools to drop off water for their kids, and because so many water delivery trucks are making a lot more trips in and it of Austin, and because people are stockpiling gasoline for the rain Tues-Thur, and because so many people are having Amazon deliver water, what if they were buying/using a lot more gas, and Austin has used up our weekly allotment of gasoline?

Edited by atomheartbevo

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd be interested to see a "before" and "after" price comparison on HEB bottled water.  Maybe they'll surprise.

No reason they shouldn't increase price on increased demand. There isn't a shortage, so it isn't gouging IMO. Water is plentifully available, and no reason why someone shouldn't pay more if they aren't willing to spend 3 minutes to boil the water, JFC.