What's the Foo up to?

Biff Tannen

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

He's a bad motherfucker.

Nah, more likely a glory seeker trying to sell albums.

What's that you say? He's sold a bazillion albums and makes an insane amount of money touring?  He didn't need to do this?

Yeah, maybe he's a bad motherfucker.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Hard to believe it’s been a year already since Taylor Hawkins died.

I'm honestly surprised they are about to tour again.  But Dave knows his purpose in this universe.  And god damn Taylor knew it too.  He would be proud.

Edited by Biff Tannen
l

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had tickets to see them in Big Sky last August, but obviously didn't get to see them. They just announced they are coming back this coming August. I'd love to go, but I can't justify paying almost tree-fiddy per ticket.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Even for the Foo Fighters, that new song is horrible. 

I don't want to draw irrational conclusions, but I think Taylor's death may have left Dave without a foil who would help shape things on the writing front.  In my view, they're been sliding for years, but hell, every mega-band pretty much does that.  Now it could be extra tough.

• 2 weeks later...

Southern California rock band Foo Fighters are hosting a special livestream event dubbed “Foo Fighters: Preparing Music For Concerts” that launches Sunday, May 21 at noon.

The virtual performance from the band’s Los Angeles-based Studio 606 will include the group blasting through its hits and debuting new music from its forthcoming “But Here We Are” album, which is due out on June 2. It will also feature behind-the-scenes footage and a few surprises, plus the reveal who will be occupying the drumkit in place of Taylor Hawkins, who died suddenly while on tour last year.

Fans can tune into the free livestream at foofighters.veeps.com.

So far, Foo Fighters have released two new songs from its upcoming album, a collection of songs written and recorded after Hawkins’ death and the pair of massive, rock-filled celebrations of life at Wembley Stadium in London and Kia Forum in Inglewood that followed. The band put out the emotional track, “Rescued,” in April and just dropped the punk rock-tinged “Under You,” this week.

Though the band has not formally announced a new drummer, there’s a lot of speculation. Several worthy musicians stepped in to play the Taylor Hawkins’ memorial shows including Vandals, Sting and Danny Elfman drummer Josh Freese, Pearl Jam’s Matt Cameron and The Darkness’ Rufus Taylor.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That guy is a badass.  I've seen him a couple of times with Paul Westerberg solo, and once with The Replacements at their MPLS/StP reunion show.

I also caught Westerberg with Michael Bland (Prince) -- damn, that was epic.

The only real thing I'd worry about Josh is he gets itchy feet pretty easy. I just hope he is around enough.

He is a legit dude though for sure

Interesting.  He's not as dialed in as I expected.  Kinda has that spastic nature to his playing that a lot of punk guys have.  His tempo on "Monkeywrench" was a bit insane, although Dave liked it.  I think Dave appreciates the garage band, punk rock feel, maybe as a change of pace.

That said, you can hear Freese settle into a really nice backbeat on "Aurora", so it's not like he can't play it, hell he's done it a ton with the 'mats and other bands like that.  It's probably just a matter of him settling in with the Foos and figuring out where they all fit in.

That said, I think this is further evidence as to just how utterly fantastic a drummer Taylor Hawkins was.  Mighty big shoes.

EDIT:  oh yeah, let me just say the sound quality of that YouTube video is flat fucking awful.  No low end, pumped highs, phasey, what the fuck ever?  Did the livestream sound like that?

Edited by jimmyjazz

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting.  He's not as dialed in as I expected.

You know - I had the same reaction after watching that video. It just didn’t seem right, something was off.

Look, these are all pros. I get it. I’m sure it will all come together but let’s not act like that was the first time they played together.

I dont think he’s the best fit behind the kit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Handcruser said:

You know - I had the same reaction after watching that video. It just didn’t seem right, something was off.

I've seen Josh a bunch of times and he's always been stellar, but in that video his timing seems to gallop a bit.  The greatest rock drummers (in my opinion) have a huge groove/backbeat like Bonham, Hawkins, even Moon (as spastic as he was).  Forget the session players like Keltner and Aronoff, they are different animals, but the best pure rock guys seem to swing -- again, in my opinion.   Maybe not Peart, but he surely had a rock solid internal clock.

• Like 1

Thoughts on “But Here We Are”?

-It’s their best album since Wasting Light.  That’s not a real high bar, but it blows past that.  This is remarkably good rock music for a dude pushing 60.

-It’s a big reminder that Dave Grohl is one of the best drummers of all time.

-It’s the most obvious lyrical subject matter of Dave’s career.  This is all about Taylor.

-There’s a heavy sense of eulogy and finality.  “Rest” is particularly jarring given reports that Taylor wanted to tour less and Dave was pushing him to keep the pace.  I don’t want the Foo Fighters to stop playing, but this album seems like a perfect way to close their career as a studio band.  No one goes out on this high of a note anymore.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

I also love the nods to different eras of the band.  The massive chords in the verse of "Rescued" (which has grown on me a lot) sound like Disc 1 of "In Your Honor".  "Under You" could be on "The Colour & The Shape" next to something like "Up In Arms".  The second half of "Nothing At All" bears a strong resemblance to "I'll Stick Around".

I've seen Josh a bunch of times and he's always been stellar, but in that video his timing seems to gallop a bit.  The greatest rock drummers (in my opinion) have a huge groove/backbeat like Bonham, Hawkins, even Moon (as spastic as he was).  Forget the session players like Keltner and Aronoff, they are different animals, but the best pure rock guys seem to swing -- again, in my opinion.   Maybe not Peart, but he surely had a rock solid internal clock.

One of those people is not like the others lol.

Agree with you.
  • Haha 1

On 6/7/2023 at 5:01 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Thoughts on “But Here We Are”?

-It’s their best album since Wasting Light.  That’s not a real high bar, but it blows past that.  This is remarkably good rock music for a dude pushing 60.

-It’s a big reminder that Dave Grohl is one of the best drummers of all time.

-It’s the most obvious lyrical subject matter of Dave’s career.  This is all about Taylor.

-There’s a heavy sense of eulogy and finality.  “Rest” is particularly jarring given reports that Taylor wanted to tour less and Dave was pushing him to keep the pace.  I don’t want the Foo Fighters to stop playing, but this album seems like a perfect way to close their career as a studio band.  No one goes out on this high of a note anymore.

Listening right now and I'm liking it.  Yes, Dave kind of has the same style over and over, but guess what?  That's what he does.  He loves and it happens to be fairly (lol) popular.  

I'm convinced he was put on this earth for a specific purpose and he is fulfilling it better than most.  That purpose comes with a lot of pain.  I am a lover and defender of Dave Grohl and his musical pursuits for the rest of my life.

• Hook 'Em 1