Nintendo Switch

Deej

20 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

Looks like Fortnite is now on Switch. So far, I’ve only been playing Mario Odysssy with my 5-year-old. What do I need to know, and what accessories do I need?

Said it before, but the first order of business is a tempered glass screen protector. Second is the biggest micro sd card you can afford.

we just got back from a family reunion to the coast.  we brought the switch.  we've got several games but the most popular was bomberman followed by mario kart.  bomberman was easy enough to pick up for anyone who doesn't usually play other games (read:  me)  and allows pretty much everyone to get in the action. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 9:29 PM, Saint Austin said:

Looks like Fortnite is now on Switch. So far, I’ve only been playing Mario Odysssy with my 5-year-old. What do I need to know, and what accessories do I need?

I play Fortnite with the Switch as a console, so the Pro Controller is a must. However, might have to try season 5 with the joy-cons, as, according to Epic

• Gyro/motion controls have been added to the Nintendo Switch.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/patch-notes/v5-0

BTW - Mario Odyssey is awesome. Play that with my son also.

12 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

we just got back from a family reunion to the coast.  we brought the switch.  we've got several games but the most popular was bomberman followed by mario kart.  bomberman was easy enough to pick up for anyone who doesn't usually play other games (read:  me)  and allows pretty much everyone to get in the action. 

Interesting. Most of the use would either be while travelling, or maybe late at night after getting back to the hotel. Mostly me using it, I’m sure. 

A switch is certainly on my list, but I may just take one of the mini classics instead. Although if I’m getting one anyway at some point, might as well get as much use as possible and pass the time a bit on 10+ hr flights.

14 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Have a long trip coming up. Trying to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on a switch to help pass the travel time. 

List: Switch, screen protector, case pro controller, stand, and 3-4 games (zelda, mario odyssey, mario kart, ???)

Thoughts?

I say get the switch. I got one last Christmas and I love it. The game selection is really incredible for an ultra-portable console. If you pull the trigger, the only must-have accessories are:

·         Tempered Glass Screen Protector (https://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Tempered-Screen-Protector-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01N3ASPNV/ref=sr_1_6?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1531419415&sr=1-6&keywords=switch+accessories)

·         Largest SD card you can afford (this is what I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWZWYVP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1)

From here, what accessories you need is greatly influenced by how you intend to play (handheld, docked, screen propped up + detach controller). For me, I thought that I would only play the console while docked, so I got a Pro Controller first. In practice, I probably spend 90% of my playtime using the Switch in handheld mode and 10% of the time docked. I have yet to use the Switch with it propped-up and the controller detached (I just find it more comfortable to just play it in handheld mode). I’ve also learned that some games I prefer playing in different ways.

For example, I played Mario Odyssey 90% of the time docked with a Pro Controller, and 10% handheld. It was a lot easier to chain together the controller inputs with the pro controller, and using the “motion” controls with the pro controller was a lot safer than trying to do that with the Switch in your hand. Conversely, I am currently going through Zelda BOTW and I play that almost 100% in handheld mode, because I find aiming my bow shots easier that way (gyro controls+ screen being in your hand makes it real easy to line up shots to where it “almost” feels like I’m using a mouse).

So I would just go ahead and buy a Switch and play with it in a bunch of different ways before your trip, and then go from there. If you have any other questions just let me know!

Potential Purchase List:

• console
  • controller
  • screen protector
  • carry case
  • power brick
  • hoti stand
  • zelda
  • mario odyssey
  • mario kart
  • 128GB sd card

Between a best buy bundle and a couple things off amazon, $700 bones looks to be the damage. 

I keep bouncing back and forth on whether to get it now or later. I probably will, since I’m going to do it anyway and it would be handy for the upcoming travel this year. 

On 7/12/2018 at 11:48 AM, irockalltherocks said:

I play Fortnite with the Switch as a console, so the Pro Controller is a must. However, might have to try season 5 with the joy-cons, as, according to Epic

• Gyro/motion controls have been added to the Nintendo Switch.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/patch-notes/v5-0

BTW - Mario Odyssey is awesome. Play that with my son also.

I've got the Pro Controller, as well as the tempered glass for when the kids take it on the go. Should I get some kind of headset for online play?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 12:02 PM, The Royal We said:

How does fortnite run on the Switch?  I may have to get one just to have an easy way to play fornite when I travel.

We play it mainly with the Switch docked, using the Pro controller. For the most part it runs just fine.There have been times when it takes longer than normal for all of the graphics to render correctly, or there is a lag the first time you pick up an item. This has been completely due to updates from Epic. The last few updates have corrected these issues.

Well, if you want to keep playing games online (except for free to play games like Fortnite) you have to subscibe to the service. They're basically going with the Playstation and Sony model of a paid online service for multiplayer. You also get cloud save data with that.

You get access to the NES emulator on the Switch. Currently has 20 games but will add more each month. You can play multiplayer through that as well online.

• Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Donkey Kong™
  • Mario Bros.™
  • Super Mario Bros.™
  • Balloon Fight™
  • Ice Climber™
  • Dr. Mario™
  • The Legend of Zelda™
  • Super Mario Bros.™ 3
  • Double Dragon
  • River City Ransom
  • Ghosts'n Goblins™
  • Tecmo Bowl
  • Gradius
  • Pro Wrestling
  • Excitebike™
  • Yoshi™
  • Ice Hockey
  • Baseball

You also can buy the NES switch controllers ($69.99) but you have to be subscribed to the service.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 12:29 PM, thunderlounge said:

The multiplayer stuff holds little interest for me, but full access to classic emulations (assuming the catalog expands to other consoles) would be worth $20/yr.

It's only about 24 games.  Not the full catalogue.  My 6yr old has had fun with the games available.

Mario Party launching today.  Hoping to have some fun with that this weekend.

13 minutes ago, Izhmash said:

Has anyone played Dead Cells?  Looks really interesting to me...

It’s really good if you don’t care about “completing” the game too much.  Every time you die you start over, but with the same stuff you died with.  So it gets easier and easier at the start and places you couldn't reach open up, etc.  each time you get a bit farther.  But you’d really have to invest to get all the way to the end. 

• Like 1