An Old Fashioned

Macanudo

Old Overholt is fine, and a helluva value. But for like eight dollars more, you can get Rittenhouse, which at 100 proof vs. old overholt's 80 proof holds up to dilution a little better and tastes fucking delicious.

Taste shouldn't be too different re: simple syrup vs. muddled sugar. I prefer the muddled sugar personally. I find that I enjoy a more traditional old fashioned to one that's been churched up with fancy liquors and/or bitters. sugar, angostura, couple of drops of water, ice, rye, stir, garnish with orange peel. it really doesn't need anything else. 

1/4 tsp sugar

5-6 drops bitters

a little water

bourbon/rye

ice cube

little slice of orange peel (optional for me).

As I understand it, the original old fashioned goes back to before prohibition.  Probably the original cocktail.  The extra sugar, cherries, orange stuff was added during prohibition when the whiskey was terrible.  Here is a basic guide.

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Old Overholt is fine, and a helluva value. But for like eight dollars more, you can get Rittenhouse, which at 100 proof vs. old overholt's 80 proof holds up to dilution a little better and tastes fucking delicious.

Taste shouldn't be too different re: simple syrup vs. muddled sugar. I prefer the muddled sugar personally. I find that I enjoy a more traditional old fashioned to one that's been churched up with fancy liquors and/or bitters. sugar, angostura, couple of drops of water, ice, rye, stir, garnish with orange peel. it really doesn't need anything else

Made my post before reading yours.  Spot on.

4 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

1/4 tsp sugar

5-6 drops bitters

a little water

bourbon/rye

ice cube

little slice of orange peel (optional for me).

As I understand it, the original old fashioned goes back to before prohibition.  Probably the original cocktail.  The extra sugar, cherries, orange stuff was added during prohibition when the whiskey was terrible.  Here is a basic guide.

My understanding is that the "original" old fashioned is sugar, bitters, and pretty much any kind of booze.

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Taste shouldn't be too different re: simple syrup vs. muddled sugar. I prefer the muddled sugar personally. I find that I enjoy a more traditional old fashioned to one that's been churched up with fancy liquors and/or bitters. sugar, angostura, couple of drops of water, ice, rye, stir, garnish with orange peel. it really doesn't need anything else. 

Have you tried the bonded Old Overholt?  It’s meant to compete with Rittenhouse.117wg88.jpg

6 minutes ago, Whiskyteer said:

I prefer a Manhattan with 2 parts Pikesville, 1 part Carpano Antica, a few dashes of Angostura, 2 Luxardo cherries.  Chilled, straight and in a lowball.  Fuck the girly coupe glass.  

My uncle used to make Manhattans with Southern Comfort.  Only took one before I never asked him for another.

I prefer bourbon in my Manhattans, but my recipe is very similar.  2 parts Eagle Rare, 1 part Dolins, couple dashes of Peychaud's and 2 Luxardos.  Fan-fucking-tastic.  I have to be careful when I make them because I tend to get housed.

21 hours ago, Macanudo said:

This could be an entry into the bourbon thread but it would get lost.  I've always like a really good Old Fashioned.    I've never made one at home until recently.  

Normally I like a traditional version of the drink but I'm not a purist.   A couple of weeks ago I had Backstreet Cafe's frou-frou version:

Bourbon, praline liqueur, Dolin Rouge, Orange Bitters, Peychaud Bitters spiced simple syrup.

Yes, I know that's not a classic version of it.   It was good but not great.   I enjoyed it as an aperitif but would most definitely not make it at home.   

A few nights later, I had a pretty classic version at Houston's on Westheimer:

Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey, Orange Bitters, Orange Twist

Now this was sublime.   

When I look at recipes, there are the muddled sugar cube/bitters ones vs. the simple syrup/bitters ones.  I have never seen a recipe like Houston's that skipped any sugar.   Is that normal at all?

Over the past few days, I've tried making a simple syrup/bitters version with Basil Hayden and Willet.   Both were around average.   But not what I want.   Is the bourbon?   Or something else?  

What am I doing wrong? ***

***  Yes, I realize that how a drink tastes is completely subjective.

So- the first drink you mentioned is a  bourbon “Manhattan”, not an Old Fashioned, because an “Old Fashioned” cocktail, by definition, is a spirit with sugar and bitters. Period. And any true “cocktail” starts that way. So a Manhattan is a Rye Old Fashioned with sweet vermouth, like the above. With rye*.

People should do more Old Fashioneds with gin and rum. Both delicious. 

Anyway- you aren’t doing anything wrong. Spirit, bitters and sugar of your choice. Vodka is a waste of time, but otherwise go nuts.

*A Manhattan really should be made with rye, but bourbon is good so fuck it

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
Truth
  • Like 2

Welcome to the party sweet nips.

I have been known on occasion to make an "old fashioned"or a "manhattan" with treaty oak barrel aged antique gin.  I am not sure that I would call it either, but Im gonna drink it to mix things up. Rums an interesting idea that hasnt occurred. 

Edited by Anastasis

31 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Welcome to the party sweet nips.

I have been known on occasion to make an "old fashioned"or a "manhattan" with treaty oak barrel aged antique gin.  I am not sure that I would call it either, but Im gonna drink it to mix things up. Rums an interesting idea that hasnt occurred. 

Do it

22 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

Rye. Stop using Bourbon. Drink Bourbon straight. Use Rye for your OF. Everyone has something different that they like. I’m very heavy on the bitters, and will mix in some Orange bitters with my angostura on occasion. Also, if you are adding a cherry, for the love of god, don’t  use a shitty maraschino. Buy a Luxardo jar.

Old Overholt is your best rye bet unless you want to drop some coin. I use cubes, but a tsp of sugar will work if you don’t have one. I’m not a fan of simple syrup for an OF, but that is just personal preference. Use a single big cube of ice as well. Silicone molds are cheap.

I agree with all of this. 

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

So- the first drink you mentioned is a  bourbon “Manhattan”, not an Old Fashioned, because an “Old Fashioned” cocktail, by definition, is a spirit with sugar and bitters. Period. And any true “cocktail” starts that way. So a Manhattan is a Rye Old Fashioned with sweet vermouth, like the above. With rye*.

People should do more Old Fashioneds with gin and rum. Both delicious. 

Anyway- you aren’t doing anything wrong. Spirit, bitters and sugar of your choice. Vodka is a waste of time, but otherwise go nuts.

*A Manhattan really should be made with rye, but bourbon is good so fuck it

Amen, brother,  I'm a big fan of an Old Fashioned with rye or bourbon, but my favorite is with gin.  Because gin freaking rocks.

1 hour ago, Jimbaround said:

Thanks, I got these about five years ago.  I looked at the current price at Neiman's this past Christmas and about shit myself. 

We've had ours almost 30 years.  Still the best whisky glass.  They have great weight that keeps the liquid cold.

• Like 1

meh. bourbon in an old fashioned is fine. just a bit sweeter. Wild Turkey 101 is great in an old fashioned if you want to use bourbon with a bit of heat (due to the rye in the mash). That said, some bourbons are too smooth for the drink. just mho.

Edited by The Dog

10 hours ago, The Dog said:

meh. bourbon in an old fashioned is fine. just a bit sweeter. Wild Turkey 101 is great in an old fashioned if you want to use bourbon with a bit of heat (due to the rye in the mash). That said, some bourbons are too smooth for the drink. just mho.

Agree on the Wild Turkey 101 in an OF.

On 3/26/2018 at 10:15 PM, Texaskimo said:

My personal preference is to toss a sugar cube, bitters, and a maraschino cherry into the glass and muddle the sugar and bitters together (give the cherry a hit or two as well, but don't smash it to pieces). Then, add in your bourbon, 1.5-2 oz. Stir this until the sugar is almost all dissolved (it's OK if you get impatient). Then drop in an ice ball, or ice cubes I guess but the ball doesn't melt as fast so it doesn't water stuff down so much. Delicious.

This is how I usually do it as well

22 hours ago, The Dog said:

Gonna try the Wild Turkey 101.   That's a great "cheap" bourbon.   

Just made one with Bulleit Rye.    Here goes nothing.....

17 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Oh, fuck yeah...   That's the difference IMO...   Went to Total Wine and they had the Old Overholt and a fairly expensive Templeton along with another 115-20 rye whiskeys.

I think I'm in love.

Get some Pikesville Rye and thank me later.   

I love making Old Fashioned at home.  It's the ritual, the anticipation, presentation and taste that bring it to an experience level instead of just an alcoholic beverage.  Put me in the traditional camp with good bourbon, sugar cube, Angostura bitters, orange zest, and proper garnish in a low ball.  No muddled fruit or simple syrup.

Edited by TexasEd

On 3/27/2018 at 7:03 PM, The Dog said:

Generally agree with this. My big issue is that some bourbons are just too sweet, and if the bartender is heaving on the sugar it comes out way too sweet for my taste. 

That said, I might let the young lady in the video pour me a drink regardless. 

On 3/27/2018 at 1:40 PM, irishtexan said:

Este.

I keep a bottle of Rittenhouse around just for my old fashioneds.  Also, I'll toss in a couple of drops of orange bitters in addition to the Angostura.  No need to muddle fruit and goddammit don't put club soda in my drink.

I make them at home for my wife frequently, usually with Woodford or Four Roses, simple syrup, orange bitters.  If a restaurant has them on the drink menu, we always get one.  There's a speakeasy near Atlanta that puts a little Port in with theirs, very good, and little place in Birmingham that makes a  very good vanilla old fashioned.  Everyone seems to have a twist on it.  I'm not a fan of the muddled mess of orange pulp and marachinos.

On 3/27/2018 at 7:24 PM, Anastasis said:

treaty oak barrel aged antique gin.

Not to derail this thread, but does that taste overwhelmingly of rosemary like their basic waterloo gin? Love rosemary, but it was just overwhelming in flavor. 

Age really mellows and changes things though so it may fix up with the aging. 

On 3/26/2018 at 10:32 PM, UnivTex34 said:

Rye. Stop using Bourbon. Drink Bourbon straight. Use Rye for your OF. Everyone has something different that they like. I’m very heavy on the bitters, and will mix in some Orange bitters with my angostura on occasion. Also, if you are adding a cherry, for the love of god, don’t  use a shitty maraschino. Buy a Luxardo jar.

Old Overholt is your best rye bet unless you want to drop some coin. I use cubes, but a tsp of sugar will work if you don’t have one. I’m not a fan of simple syrup for an OF, but that is just personal preference. Use a single big cube of ice as well. Silicone molds are cheap.

rye fan myself. was going to add - just make your own homemade cherries. no need to drop coin on overprice luxardo cherries

its easy. i make 4 or 5 jars and just freeze them. keep one fresh at all times in fridge. they are delicous + no food coloring + cheap (just buy frozen cherries, its fine)

https://foodal.com/recipes/desserts/homemade-maraschino-cherries/

Edited by staboner
  • Like 1

The purists may feel this is bastardizing an OF, but have any of you had the OF at Wu Chow in Austin?  They spice it up by adding in some of that oriental chile seasoning / oil, and damn it, I like it.  Of course, you need to like spicy shit...which I do.  Definitely not a replacement of the traditional, but its a nice twist on the OF.

On 3/27/2018 at 8:26 PM, DaysOff said:

Old Fashion > Manhattan 

Love this thread as I too order an OF at almost every outing on the road just to see the variety. It's the All American cocktail; how can so many bartenders graduate without knowing how to do this?

Whoa whoa, let's pump the breaks here.

Try a Manhattan with a rye with a strong bite.  I like Michters or Rittenhouse.  Then use Antica Torino for the vermouth.  This stuff is delicious. A splash of bitters and then I soften everything by taking a lemon peel and twisting it so the oils spritz the cocktail.  It's incredible.

2xg9OFp.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nycHorn said:

Whoa whoa, let's pump the breaks here.

Try a Manhattan with a rye with a strong bite.  I like Michters or Rittenhouse.  Then use Antica Torino for the vermouth.  This stuff is delicious. A splash of bitters and then I soften everything by taking a lemon peel and twisting it so the oils spritz the cocktail.  It's incredible.

2xg9OFp.jpg

Agree that this is a pivotal ingredient to any cocktail that calls for sweet vermouth. Makes a huge difference.