An Old Fashioned

Macanudo

11 minutes ago, Viper said:

I love a good old fashioned, however I've been doing low carb lately. Usually I'll drink bourbon straight or mix with diet coke or diet gingerbeer, but has anyone gotten a low carb old fashioned to work? 

I'm in the same boat. Been thinking about trying a few drops of liquid stevia, but haven't done it yet. I make a "skinny" Mexican martini for my wife with it, and a little goes a long way...like maybe 1 or 2 drops in an old fashioned. Of course you'd have to leave the cherry out, and that's really my favorite part of the drink so maybe why bother?

On 4/13/2018 at 7:16 AM, Viper said:

I love a good old fashioned, however I've been doing low carb lately. Usually I'll drink bourbon straight or mix with diet coke or diet gingerbeer, but has anyone gotten a low carb old fashioned to work? 

I will dissolve two stevia packets with a spoonful of water and the bitters, then add the rye or bourbon. It’s alright. I also do this to make “skinny” mojitos or julips. 

Completely agree with page 1 posts of ordering OFs as a go-to all over the country and 80-90% of them are bad. 

On 4/11/2018 at 7:20 PM, Buzzrock said:

Not gonna lie, I’d try that. But I’m usually more of an Manhattan guy.

Manhattans are great. They're my go-to at home drink because they're real simple and easy to make but I can't order them in bars. I like my Manhattan super old school with equal parts vermouth and rye but most bars use such shit vermouth that if you use more than a rinse it'll taste like shit. I keep a bottle of Carpano or Cocchi vermouth just to make myself Manhattans. If you use something like Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth or the stuff that's $6 per bottle at Spec's with a 1:1 Manhattan recipe it'll end up tasting like a pretty stale in my experience.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2018 at 9:21 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

I will dissolve two stevia packets with a spoonful of water and the bitters, then add the rye or bourbon.

No offense, but that sounds awful. Why wouldn't you just drink the bourbon straight? Or even just on the rocks with a couple splashes of bitters? 

Liked it so much I just put a bottle of Pikesville Rye and 375 ml of Antica Torino with about 10 dashes of bitters in my 2 ltr oak barrel and gonna let it sit for a month .  Had one at restaurant tonight that was barrel aged and it was great.

So I sampled the Manhattans I’ve had in my small aging barrel tonight. Holy shit. Incredible. Can’t wait to taste it again in a couple of weeks.
2c664e60d25608d84c3ee03ed6b184b7.jpg
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 10:01 AM, Firemans4Horn said:

Rittenhouse for a couple bucks more than Old Overholt is well worth it. 

I concur.   Picked up a bottle a few weeks ago.   I'm tossed on whether the Bulleit or Rittenhouse is my favorite.  But I'm not going to decide and will be happy with the choices.

I saw Balcones has a Rye Whiskey out and it was $37 so I figured what the hell, I'll give it a shot for my OFs.

Holy hell, that rye does not work. It's 100% more like a scotch than a bourbon or rye. Flavors are completely off. Would not recommend. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that bottle now... 

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

I saw Balcones has a Rye Whiskey out and it was $37 so I figured what the hell, I'll give it a shot for my OFs.

Holy hell, that rye does not work. It's 100% more like a scotch than a bourbon or rye. Flavors are completely off. Would not recommend. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that bottle now... 

i had the same problem man. 

i went with old fashioneds myself to use it. it doesn't work at all in a manhattan or a sazaerac. at least in an OF you can control the bitter/sugar environment around it. 

but yeah, the more i drank of it the more i didn't like it

25 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I like the Balcones Rye.  It doesn't taste like a traditional rye, but certainly not a scotch.  What really surprised me was the 100% rye - it tastes a lot like their blue corn varieties.  

All the Balcones stuff has a really similar characteristic. I don't have the booze words to properly articulate it, but I have called it an astringency.  I don't know if that is the right word, but I pick it up across their whole line.  It is quite pronounced in the bottle of rye I have, and I don't really enjoy it without a cube. 

Bought a paperback The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks (1953) by David Embury when I was in Law School.  The classic work on mixing stuff and it is cited by many drink books I've gotten since then.  I spent the weeks studying for the Bar Exam trying to perfect an Old Fashioned (usually at the end of the day).  One or two tsp. simple sugar, one to three dashes Angostura Bitters.  Stir this until bitters are dissolved.  Add 1 oz. Bourbon (it is always Bonded with Embury) and stir again.  Add cracked iced and fill glass to within 3/8" of the top of the glass. Add a maraschino cherry and then a twist of lemon peel (using a vegetable peeler, take off a strip of the peel of the lemon without any pith and squeeze this so the lemon oil in the peel spritzes the top of the drink).  He doesn't mention the size of the glass, but we have some crystal glasses that are specifically for Old Fashioned drinks.

Just out of curiosity we've ordered OF's at bars and restaurants over the last 40 years, but never had one as good.

Edited by idahorn

I will never do this with *MY* Glenmorangie, but was out to dinner in Boerne this past weekend, and the restaurant offered a Glenmorangie Old Fashioned.

Why yes.  Yes I will try it.

Glenmorangie_oldfashioned.jpg

... and it was good.  :)

... but I'm still not going to do that to *my* Glenmorangie.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...