Perfect Junk Food

Buzzrock

22 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Nope. These are my go to:

038E6E4A-3830-43E0-BD68-2D1A9C13BDE8.png.251287e53d264272ed035de1133276b2.png

I’ve commented before, I’m not sure where, that I’ve considered just dipping them in Cardin’s Caesar dressing without the benefit of any romaine lettuce and grated Parmesan cheese, but I’ve never made that leap.

doit.gif

Speaking of noshing on croutons. I remember back in the late 70’s, early 80’s, the first croutons we had at home came in a can with a mix of other flavorings like bacon bits, dried onions, cheese, herbs and spices, etc. There were several varieties. The can was like a mini Pringles can and the croutons were relatively small. I was trying to remember what those were called. I was thinking “Salad Fixins” but scouring the internet I couldn’t come up with anything. I tried a variety of search terms on several search engines and YouTube. “Salad Toppers,” “Salad Shakers,” etc. Finally I hit paydirt. It was “Salad Crispins” and apparently they still make them. I could only find one small pic of what those old cans looked like from some old ad being sold on eBay, but those are what I remember, there on the right. That’s where I got my start munching on croutons all by themselves.

9F22533E-D159-4491-9CC6-4557861EAEDE.png.0df171da2b3f19dd97946ecc342bf2c4.png

And here’s what they look like now:

7B71A133-A1C3-40BC-A723-255499F838CD.thumb.png.64f8034c58e152e30a72438194230a7b.png

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Watched History Channel show Foods That Built America few months ago.

In 20’s Frito guys had a corn puff that never sold. Fast forward to WW2 and Fritos gets DOD contract cause high calorie and Fritos don’t spoil.

End of WW2 they get call from DOD and DOD wants to unload shitload of cheese powder. 

DB4349BE-FC8C-41D5-A8C9-41983BEC8C1E.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Watched History Channel show Foods That Built America few months ago.

In 20’s Frito guys had a corn puff that never sold. Fast forward to WW2 and Fritos gets DOD contract cause high calorie and Fritos don’t spoil.

End of WW2 they get call from DOD and DOD wants to unload shitload of cheese powder. 

DB4349BE-FC8C-41D5-A8C9-41983BEC8C1E.jpeg

I'm pretty sure i saw an episode of that show that was about either the puffs or the crunchy started as a way to make corn meal pieces for feed lots that was for cows that didn't take off, and that was what prompted them to change it to make snacks for people.  Cheese flavor separate.

Plain Fritos are one of the most delicious God damn things on the planet. 

With a big bowl of chili on top of them covered in cheese and japs and you have a dish sent from heaven. 

Amen.

And while “healthier” versions of such items are often shit, the “lightly salted” version is likewise glorious, and helpful for those of us cutting back on salt. I mean, eating a big ass bowl of them probably defeats all benefit, but still….
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Amen.

And while “healthier” versions of such items are often shit, the “lightly salted” version is likewise glorious, and helpful for those of us cutting back on salt. I mean, eating a big ass bowl of them probably defeats all benefit, but still….

Never had those but that's good to know. I'm young and in pretty good shape but honestly my salt intake is not great. 

Plain Fritos are one of the most delicious God damn things on the planet. 

I have lived places where the chili cheese Fritos are the best TexMex item for 1000 miles.

Likewise in those places (Portland Oregon looking at your bland ass face) it can be an amazing thing to introduce Texas things to them. I took a pot of chili to work for the crew. Brought a case of Fritos and showed them how to make Frito pies with cheese and onions. They were blowed away.

14 hours ago, Covri said:

I'm pretty sure i saw an episode of that show that was about either the puffs or the crunchy started as a way to make corn meal pieces for feed lots that was for cows that didn't take off, and that was what prompted them to change it to make snacks for people.  Cheese flavor separate.

And eventually it turned the people into fat cows. Funny how life works. 

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Amen.

i actually prefer the lightly salted version of things nowadays.  and some of the parbaked then fried kettle chips are better than the fully fried versions (more potato flavor, imo).  for some reason there's not a lightly salted, parbaked then fried version. 

23 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Yeah, these are good. Big bag available at Sam’s. 

spacer.png

My 84YO mom gets all happy like a little girl when I bring her these.  When they came off the market last year, I asked her if she wanted Cheetos instead.  "Nope.  Those Lays are awesome!!!"

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

An argument can definitely be made.

Pure crack for me.  Sometimes when the wife goes to TJs I will say, "yea don't get those Elote Chips this time" as an explicit instruction.  Getting older and killing bags of corn chips ain't like is used to be.  

• 5 months later...
On 5/9/2022 at 11:15 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Speaking of noshing on croutons. I remember back in the late 70’s, early 80’s, the first croutons we had at home came in a can with a mix of other flavorings like bacon bits, dried onions, cheese, herbs and spices, etc. There were several varieties. The can was like a mini Pringles can and the croutons were relatively small. I was trying to remember what those were called. I was thinking “Salad Fixins” but scouring the internet I couldn’t come up with anything. I tried a variety of search terms on several search engines and YouTube. “Salad Toppers,” “Salad Shakers,” etc. Finally I hit paydirt. It was “Salad Crispins” and apparently they still make them. I could only find one small pic of what those old cans looked like from some old ad being sold on eBay, but those are what I remember, there on the right. That’s where I got my start munching on croutons all by themselves.

9F22533E-D159-4491-9CC6-4557861EAEDE.png.0df171da2b3f19dd97946ecc342bf2c4.png

And here’s what they look like now:

7B71A133-A1C3-40BC-A723-255499F838CD.thumb.png.64f8034c58e152e30a72438194230a7b.png

Dude, you have no idea how long I searched for what that can of goodness was called.  I couldn’t find it. I loved those things.  It came up because my brother and I were laughing about the time I got an ass whooping from my grandma, because she caught me in her pantry with a can of those tilted up to my face like an alkie with a bottle of Old Crow.   Ate half the can.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 2

On 1/14/2023 at 7:51 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Dude, you have no idea how long I searched for what that can of goodness was called.  I couldn’t find it. I loved those things.  It came up because my brother and I were laughing about the time I got an ass whooping from my grandma, because she caught me in her pantry with a can of those tilted up to my face like an alkie with a bottle of Old Crow.   Ate half the can.  

Those were awesome. And even though Google might initially suggest otherwise, they’ve been discontinued and aren’t available anywhere. Walmart still lists the product on its website, you just can’t buy it. I wish I would’ve come across this tweet when I was searching last spring: