Perfect Junk Food

Buzzrock

On 6/8/2021 at 10:12 PM, Brisketexan said:

Their wasabi almonds, though…..

On 6/9/2021 at 6:56 AM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

The Habanero BBQ are like crack.

I got some of each of those in my Christmas stocking.  I found both were a surprisingly good addition to some spicy Chex mix instead of just eating them by themselves.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1

Schlotzky’s Salt and Vinegar chips. I have dreams about them. They are the saltiest, the vinegariest. The absolute perfect bag of chips, although because they are so strong you really can’t eat more than the small Schlotzky’s bag.

Regular lays potato chips to me is the standard for S&V. They’re perfect. I may have to visit our schlotzkys tomorrow after reading this.

4 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I think most “truffle” products that use imitation truffle oil taste like shit. These chips do not fall in that category and are amazing. 

image.jpeg.8c8d3405175a97763fd54d21afe71a39.jpeg

Trader Joe's made some sort of truffle flavored chip for a limited time those were like crack. It looks like you can maybe get them online? 

My ultimate chip however remains Zapp's voodoo.

6 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Slightly related.

As much as Chili's sucks, their chips are really good.

I think everyone can get down on crushing some Chili’s chips and the skillet queso is basically velveeta and wolf chili so no complaints there, but man their salsa is like 98% water these days and doesn’t even stick to the chip.

And the wasabi and soy sauce blue diamond almonds are the best hands down.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Covri said:

I think everyone can get down on crushing some Chili’s chips and the skillet queso is basically velveeta and wolf chili so no complaints there, but man their salsa is like 98% water these days and doesn’t even stick to the chip.

And the wasabi and soy sauce blue diamond almonds are the best hands down.

Correct.  I just got a bag of the chips to go with my buffalo chz dip.  Speaking of... when are restaurants going to start taking advantage if buffalo chz dip?   It's cheap, hard to screw up, and really good.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Also, these are available here online.....they're Norwegian, and are EVERYWHERE over there.  They're addictive as hell (and I'm not a sweet-tooth guy).

olw-smash-bag_600x.png?v=1585866033

They're not complicated -- pretty much just chocolate covered Bugles.  Crunchy, salty, sweet.  And you just hammer a bag.  When we were flying out of Oslo last, we each got a bag to take on the plane and maybe even for later, as a snack.  None of them even made it onto the plane.

Why someone in the US doesn't make these....I have no idea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Never had that brand, but I will actually put a handful of Ruffles into a tub of French onion dip and eat it like ice cream.

I don’t know if Yoder’s is a regional product or if it’s available nationally. But it’s good and oniony and has just the right consistency. Not too runny, not too thick.

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You’re not going to top a bag of Ruffles and a tub of this:

db0c6116-4f3a-4f60-9435-1d0da2bb6ae2_1.a

Solid.

Also, I'm gonna change your life.  If you like Ruffles, then go by Jason's Deli and pick up the giant, catering size bag of these:

o.jpg

They are the PERFECT density and crispiness - thick and strong enough to hold up to a heavy dip, but not so thick that they don't have a great break and crunch.  We ended up with a couple extra bags after catering an event a few weeks ago, and my entire family agreed that they're the best plain potato chip we've ever had.

Seriously, get yourself some onion dip and a bag, and have a day of fattening yourself.

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Solid.

Also, I'm gonna change your life.  If you like Ruffles, then go by Jason's Deli and pick up the giant, catering size bag of these:

o.jpg

They are the PERFECT density and crispiness - thick and strong enough to hold up to a heavy dip, but not so thick that they don't have a great break and crunch.  We ended up with a couple extra bags after catering an event a few weeks ago, and my entire family agreed that they're the best plain potato chip we've ever had.

Seriously, get yourself some onion dip and a bag, and have a day of fattening yourself.

I’ll give that a try. There’s a Jason’s Deli near the Kroger on Bridge St. in Old Dublin a few miles away. I’ll have to finish the bags of Ruffles I have first. Sometimes I’ll pick up a small bag of sour cream & cheddar Ruffles at the checkout lane at the store. But the last time I was there they didn’t have any so I went ahead and bought a big bag. That was probably a mistake but I’ll try to muscle through. 

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

I’ll give that a try. There’s a Jason’s Deli near the Kroger on Bridge St. in Old Dublin a few miles away. I’ll have to finish the bags of Ruffles I have first. Sometimes I’ll pick up a small bag of sour cream & cheddar Ruffles at the checkout lane at the store. But the last time I was there they didn’t have any so I went ahead and bought a big bag. That was probably a mistake but I’ll try to muscle through. 

tenor.gif

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Ha. They are pretty good. What brings you to gods country?

Had planned on being here last year but COVID…. Honestly, wife and I had been trying to do 50 (states) by 50 (years); didn’t quite make it (55 now) so catching up, knocked out Neb., South and North Dakota, and Minn. on this trip.  Hit Rushmore, Custer SP, Crazy Horse, Devil’s Tower last week, then Medora, Teddy Roosevelt NP, Fargo last night, Fergus Falls tonight, back down to Topeka tomorrow and back home to Tejas on Saturday.

• Like 2

Not perfect but I saw something at the store tonight that I haven’t seen in ages. Just plain corn Doritos. I remember when they only came in two varieties, those and taco flavored. I remember when they first released the nacho cheese flavored Doritos and I’m not sure if I’ve seen just plain corn Doritos much after that. I didn’t buy any, of course, but it was wild to see them. 

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Not perfect but I saw something at the store tonight that I haven’t seen in ages. Just plain corn Doritos. I remember when they only came in two varieties, those and taco flavored. I remember when they first released the nacho cheese flavored Doritos and I’m not sure if I’ve seen just plain corn Doritos much after that. I didn’t buy any, of course, but it was wild to see them. 

My daughter didn't even believe these ever existed.  I think my wife felt the same way.

14 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Agreed. Plain Doritos are hard to find nowadays.

I remember after getting my first job in Houston after graduating I went to a home game and blew all my hard-earned take home in Austin.  I was pretty much a broke-ass mofo.  On the way back to Houston I was starving and stopped at the Chevron in Sealy on the southside of I-10 and thumbed through a few loose ones and some spare silver and bought a quart of Bud and a bag of plain Doritos as my final meal before my paycheck 2 days later. It was like honey dew vine water and manna. 

Money well spent and good times.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/1/2021 at 10:21 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Ha. They are pretty good. What brings you to gods country?

Meant to add, I was kind of snacked out so didn't grab any, but saw several varieties of Old Dutch chips and pretzels that looked really good, any reviews?  May have to order some online if worth it...

19 hours ago, kilroydos said:

My daughter didn't even believe these ever existed.  I think my wife felt the same way.

For your wife and daughter. They only had one bag left. And yes, I bought them. I don’t even want to eat them. But I figured I should get them anyway. They didn’t have any taco flavored Doritos in the store. I was hoping to get a pic of both together.

5D2D7EDA-761F-4E0E-9562-482C5E82C3A3.jpeg

42 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

For your wife and daughter. They only had one bag left. And yes, I bought them. I don’t even want to eat them. But I figured I should get them anyway. They didn’t have any taco flavored Doritos in the store. I was hoping to get a pic of both together.

5D2D7EDA-761F-4E0E-9562-482C5E82C3A3.jpeg

I was surprised to learn that those flags are made in the U.S.A.  Nice.  Taco Doritos are best Doritos.  That's all I have.

13 minutes ago, tigol said:

I was surprised to learn that those flags are made in the U.S.A.  Nice.  Taco Doritos are best Doritos.  That's all I have.

I assume these Doritos were brought back for a 4th of July promotion. They were on a display just inside the entrance of the store. Knowing my audience, I figured it might be confusing if I photographed them against a backdrop of other bags of Doritos so I moved them to the display of flags instead so they’d stand out. In true shaggy/surly fashion, you focused on something trivial and irrelevant. Well done.

Also, nacho cheese Doritos are better than the taco ones. And I’ve posted this pic before but I’d love to have any of these back:

Doritos-1st-2nd-and-3rd-Degree-Burn-Tort

On 7/1/2021 at 11:12 PM, UTCzech III said:

Had planned on being here last year but COVID…. Honestly, wife and I had been trying to do 50 (states) by 50 (years); didn’t quite make it (55 now) so catching up, knocked out Neb., South and North Dakota, and Minn. on this trip.  Hit Rushmore, Custer SP, Crazy Horse, Devil’s Tower last week, then Medora, Teddy Roosevelt NP, Fargo last night, Fergus Falls tonight, back down to Topeka tomorrow and back home to Tejas on Saturday.

Well, at least you got to see Topeka. 

Meant to add, I was kind of snacked out so didn't grab any, but saw several varieties of Old Dutch chips and pretzels that looked really good, any reviews?  May have to order some online if worth it...

I Went to a MN Vikings fan bar in Dallas called TNTs or something to watch a Vikes game once, laughed at all of the old Dutch boxes that lined ceiling. OD potato chips are the best .

I think the pretzels are pretty basic. If you’re gonna get bad ass ND pretzels, order some DOTS.

On 7/7/2021 at 8:12 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Also, nacho cheese Doritos are better than the taco ones.

This is true.  Still a classic chip.  But I also love Cool Ranch flavor.  I remember vividly when that came out when I was in seventh grade.  I can still easily slam half a bag if it's the right time of evening and I've had the right amount of alcohol. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/18/2021 at 4:25 PM, Brisketexan said:

Solid.

o.jpg

We had a very large dude work for us and one day we purchased Jason's for the whole branch. Well fatty took an entire catering size bag and finished it off in an hour or two. It was really impressive. 

Edited by SimonBolivar

On 2/13/2021 at 11:17 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I need to know the spiciest chips regularly available (Houston area, so HEB, Kroger). Don’t come at me with some weak ass a
Jalapeño shit. I’ve had them all. I want something that after I eat half the bag, I am on the toilet and regretting my life decisions.

These can be difficult to find but are pleasingly hot, exquisitely crunchy and perfectly seasoned (as much chipotle as ghost pepper).

large_0a04cc5d-ce91-4fba-99f9-7028d6b267

Also, I dunno what their secret is, but the crunch and texture of these is an unexpected bonus. They're as close to gourmet as tortilla chips get.

On 6/8/2021 at 9:51 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Do Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds count as junk food? Because they’ve changed. Maybe it’s me but I don’t think so. I still like my Planters peanuts and mixed nuts. But the Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds used to be like crack and a can would never last me more than a couple of days, three tops. I’d tell myself I was just going to have a little nosh then couldn’t put them away. This can is over a week old and I’m not even halfway through it. I’m thinking I should just throw it away. It kind of has a metallic flavor to it.

Maybe this is the wrong thread but something has changed. These are definitely going in the trash. 

Smokehouse have never been good. 

On 6/8/2021 at 10:12 PM, Brisketexan said:

Their wasabi almonds, though…..

Eh.

On 6/8/2021 at 10:25 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I don’t believe they’re any good. I’ve tried the salt & vinegar variety and they sucked. And I love salt & vinegar. I’ve tried the habanero BBQ variety and they sucked. And I love habanero. I’m not particularly a fan of wasabi. I’ve seen them celebrated on this board but I’m not falling for it.

From here on out it’s either Planters or just the plain almonds from Trader Joe’s. 

Wrong

On 6/9/2021 at 6:56 AM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

The Habanero BBQ are like crack.

They're solid.

What I've learned is that WhatTheBuck can completely derail food threads with his bad takes just as easily as his football takes, and even political takes. 

Smokehouse are probably the worst flavor of Almonds Blue Diamond Makes, although their Honey Nut flavor are also complete trash.

Salt & Vinegar and Pickle, as well as all their Extreme flavors are high points. Sriracha, Spicy Habanera, Wasabi, Thai are all solid. I haven't tried their coconut flavor yet...seems too weird for me to care. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Smokehouse have never been good. 

Eh.

Wrong

They're solid.

What I've learned is that WhatTheBuck can completely derail food threads with his bad takes just as easily as his football takes, and even political takes. 

Smokehouse are probably the worst flavor of Almonds Blue Diamond Makes, although their Honey Nut flavor are also complete trash.

Salt & Vinegar and Pickle, as well as all their Extreme flavors are high points. Sriracha, Spicy Habanera, Wasabi, Thai are all solid. I haven't tried their coconut flavor yet...seems too weird for me to care. 

Maybe you’re the one that’s wrong. Ever consider that?