Perfect Junk Food

Buzzrock

5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

White conchas ftw. Made with lard and eaten with my coffee. 

As a non-native Spanish speaker I make errors sometimes. Last night we're at the panaderia and I told my wife get a couple morenitos while we're here. She immediately gives me the shut up face and says marranitos!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We got some of these this past month, it’s in a holiday care package from Norwegian friends, and we found some on our own in Denmark.

de28296ec0b510ad5e4f2df6b79bde5a.jpg

They are addictively good. And simple: functionally, they’re just chocolate-coated Bugles. How in the HELL do we not have these in the US? They’re the most American snack imaginable: ultra processed corn, made crispy and salty, and then covered in sugary goodness.

Last time we were over there, we each bought a small bag in the airport for “a snack while traveling.” Each of us finished our bag before boarding. Haven’t cracked open this big bag yet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

On 11/22/2021 at 6:02 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Where might one acquire?

On 11/22/2021 at 10:24 PM, Jack Straw said:

I picked up a bag in an airport while traveling and was hooked - and ordered a bunch off Amazon Prime. I have seen them at Sprouts also, but not all the flavors.  

Both Krogers near me have them up front with the "specialty" cheese and meats near the service deli. All flavors usually present and accounted for. Might also find them in the chip isle. Costco also carries them from time to time.

Every flavor I've tried has slammed and went hard.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 3:48 PM, Brisketexan said:

We got some of these this past month, it’s in a holiday care package from Norwegian friends, and we found some on our own in Denmark.

de28296ec0b510ad5e4f2df6b79bde5a.jpg

They are addictively good. And simple: functionally, they’re just chocolate-coated Bugles. How in the HELL do we not have these in the US? They’re the most American snack imaginable: ultra processed corn, made crispy and salty, and then covered in sugary goodness.

Last time we were over there, we each bought a small bag in the airport for “a snack while traveling.” Each of us finished our bag before boarding. Haven’t cracked open this big bag yet.

No joke, you can buy them from Neiman  Marcus. Come in a big Pringles-type can. They call them chocolate covered “corn twists”.  Have to fight myself not to eat the whole can. 

• 4 weeks later...

These are sinfully delicious. They’re so thin and so light. They work best as an appetizer because I think I could probably consume several packages of them without getting full. There are different brands and different flavors at the Indian markets. This was the first one I tried. I’m not interested in the ones made from wheat, just the ones made from lentils. I’ve barely dipped my toe into the different flavors; they’ve all been good. But these would suffice if I never tried anything else. And I’m just brushing them individually with oil before putting them in the microwave. I haven’t even gotten to the point of heating oil in a pan yet and frying up a bunch of them in rapid succession.

th?id=OIP.tvQ-SsHi7teJVRYhm30_SwHaH-&pid

Before:

B2344A99-750E-42E4-87BC-8CEBC96451FF.thumb.jpeg.ec661c20ddd2e42284fe82ab533a3bde.jpeg

After 45 sec in the microwave:

A3BE13D2-AB32-43C7-B305-3C1CAB7A6511.thumb.jpeg.135525ad9adc907bd46a768ae7c1e072.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

These are sinfully delicious. They’re so thin and so light. They work best as an appetizer because I think I could probably consume several packages of them without getting full. There are different brands and different flavors at the Indian markets. This was the first one I tried. I’m not interested in the ones made from wheat, just the ones made from lentils. I’ve barely dipped my toe into the different flavors; they’ve all been good. But these would suffice if I never tried anything else. And I’m just brushing them individually with oil before putting them in the microwave. I haven’t even gotten to the point of heating oil in a pan yet and frying up a bunch of them in rapid succession.

th?id=OIP.tvQ-SsHi7teJVRYhm30_SwHaH-&pid

Before:

B2344A99-750E-42E4-87BC-8CEBC96451FF.thumb.jpeg.ec661c20ddd2e42284fe82ab533a3bde.jpeg

After 45 sec in the microwave:

A3BE13D2-AB32-43C7-B305-3C1CAB7A6511.thumb.jpeg.135525ad9adc907bd46a768ae7c1e072.jpeg

My favorite are the ones with toasted cumin seeds. But all papad is delicious.

7 hours ago, kilroydos said:

Tell me of your chutney accompaniments.

I’m not much of a chutney guy and I think these are too delicate and would be overpowered by chutney. I like a tamarind chutney but mainly only have it with pakora at the Indian buffet. And I’m not much of a pakora guy. I can buy tamarind but haven’t done so. I’ve thought about getting it to fool around with different sauces but haven’t crossed that bridge yet.

32 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

My favorite are the ones with toasted cumin seeds. But all papad is delicious.

I used to find papadum chips that came already baked and weren’t puffy. They were just big, flat, circular, spicy lentil chips, ready-to-eat right out of the box. Those were awesome too. I can’t remember where I found them and I can’t find them now. 

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m not much of a chutney guy and I think these are too delicate and would be overpowered by chutney. I like a tamarind chutney but mainly only have it with pakora at the Indian buffet. And I’m not much of a pakora guy. I can buy tamarind but haven’t done so. I’ve thought about getting it to fool around with different sauces but haven’t crossed that bridge yet.

My local place does a good tamarind and a good mint version.  They're pretty light and you can still taste the seeds and seasoning on the chip.

On 3/2/2022 at 12:48 PM, kilroydos said:

My local place does a good tamarind and a good mint version.  They're pretty light and you can still taste the seeds and seasoning on the chip.

Yeah but I’m not much of a chutney guy. The other variety of papad I have on hand has the cumin seeds.

E129E599-4AB7-42E9-8078-425F24E2A649.thumb.jpeg.250bb70f7eaeea4c44df31d7f0f60832.jpeg

Sometimes if I want to zest it up I’ll sprinkle it with some of this:

C0D06FAF-D81F-482E-9944-8511464CAC86.thumb.png.16baae4cf66eb2b69bb2dfd4753f8aa8.png

87AE8AE7-47F1-451C-AEE6-119E17C2A239.thumb.jpeg.027603f886abbaf3ad85d7dd48b31256.jpeg

But the “green chillies” variety needs no accompaniment. Other than maybe a glass of white wine.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

• 1 month later...

This is at WalMart. Look past the Kraft Mac and Cheese or Pizza flavors. This hot honey French ice cream might be the best ice cream we’ve ever had. My wife wants me to go back to Walmart right now and get some more.

It’s very rich. It’s got these little crunchy hot honey nuggets. Change your life. Go get some.

8cc0e76cc5a10dface6c7456d685d2b2.jpg

This is at WalMart. Look past the Kraft Mac and Cheese or Pizza flavors. This hot honey French ice cream might be the best ice cream we’ve ever had. My wife wants me to go back to Walmart right now and get some more.

It’s very rich. It’s got these little crunchy hot honey nuggets. Change your life. Go get some.

Ive been to the brick and mortar in rice village a few times, never seen that flavor.

16 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Your wife gave me her hot honey...

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Am I the only one who eats croutons right out of the bag?

Nope. These are my go to:

038E6E4A-3830-43E0-BD68-2D1A9C13BDE8.png.251287e53d264272ed035de1133276b2.png

I’ve commented before, I’m not sure where, that I’ve considered just dipping them in Cardin’s Caesar dressing without the benefit of any romaine lettuce and grated Parmesan cheese, but I’ve never made that leap.