Horns Down

Helobious

The Horns Down  

423 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be a penalty?

• Stop being an easily offended snowflake, it shouldn't be a penalty when an opposing player does it
    • Fuck you, it's textbook taunting & worthy of an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty

20 minutes ago, AtticusFinch said:

I'd rather worry about winning games than whether some douche does a downward hand signal

Why do people act like the two are mutually exclusive. We could be kicking the shit out of someone 45-7 and they score a meaningless TD and throw the horns down. My problem is the double standard, either make it all a penalty, or allow us to be a bunch of classless jackasses to. When we go up to Morgantown next year I hope we disrespect the shit out of them and after we beat the shit out of a Grier-less West Virginia team I hope we plant the Texas flag at mid-field and and then crotch grab at the West Virginia sideline in the name of "well if you don't like it then don't let us win". Then I don't expect to see a single pundit call Tom Herman a jackass, I don't expect to hear anyone associated with the West Virginia program complain or bitch, and I don't want to hear us called classless, if you don't like it just stop us.

We are more often than not held to a different standard and it is fucking stupid. It is why I am glad we have an asshole for a HC. When we have the talent to kick the shit out of people in the coming years, it is going to be really enjoyable seeing all the bitching from opposing fan bases asking us to show mercy and some class after what we have dealt with since 2010. Going to really enjoy watching the shoe be put on the other foot.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

Alright, well, when we come up to Lubbock next week and our doing the guns down after every touchdown I shall not expect a penalty or to hear a single Tech fan bitch about it. What you don't understand is that for the longest time, it is the only hand sign in sports that is fair game. Everything else is taunting....except the horns down, that is all good.

Lolz.

I have never seen nor heard of anyone doing ‘guns down,’ and if I saw it, I’d just shrug it off.  Whatever.

Pretty much the worst things opponents fans have done are making up shit about how we treat them. That’s a far bigger concern than hand salutes...but we don’t play aggy any more, so even that’s a moot point.

When it comes to fandom and rivalrous banter, I am all for it.  I like a little bit of ‘stirring of the pot’ by players too, but not necessarily taunting.

I don't think it is taunting in all situation, but it is disrespectful. I haven't kept up with this thread because this isn't my fight, (no one does an inverted TCU hand sign), but I had an idea. If you throw horns down with your palm up and arm straight, it looks like Spiderman's webslinging. Yeah, that Spiderman. And it will work with any team's hand sign. I wanna see players of all teams webslinging all over the place (metaphorically, on the field, not elsewhere, NTTAWWT).

6 hours ago, slorch said:

I have never seen nor heard of anyone doing ‘guns down,’ and if I saw it, I’d just shrug it off.  Whatever.

Mike Davis was flagged for "holstering the guns" when he had his 3 TD game against Tech (2012?).  That was the jump the shark moment.

There's kind of two different discussions going on here.  What should be a penalty and what is a penalty.

In the Should Be category, Grier's was a penalty and Sills' was not.  This is a matter of preference, as I don't think the game changes much if this were true.

In the IS category, both are penalties, according to how it's been enforced the past ~5 years.

So anything disrespectful should be penalized?  We have 100,00+ in the stands literally yelling either "OU sucks!" (when we aren't playing OU I might add) or "Make 'em eat shit!"

I assume the triggered Nancy crowd has never taken part in that?

How about trash-talk?  Casey Studdard basically told Joel Klatt he fucked his girlfriend before the 2005 Big 12 Championship game.  That was slightly more disrespectful than a hand gesture.  I'm sure there have been one or two (hundreds of) instances of disrespectful trash-talk from our players this season that went beyond a hand signal.

Yes, it's disrespectful.  So what?  Be a man about it or at least see it without the orange-tinted glasses.  Chances are, you yourself are pretty damn disrespectful as a fan too.

3 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

This sentiment is neither original nor popular, but if our players genuinely feel the "Horns down" to be so terribly offensive and disrespectful, maybe they should play better and not give up so many fucking points.

You’re right. It’s not original. It’s been stated quite a few times in this thread. And it has nothing at all to do with whether horns down is taunting. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

So anything disrespectful should be penalized?  We have 100,00+ in the stands literally yelling either "OU sucks!" (when we aren't playing OU I might add) or "Make 'em eat shit!"

I assume the triggered Nancy crowd has never taken part in that?

How about trash-talk?  Casey Studdard basically told Joel Klatt he fucked his girlfriend before the 2005 Big 12 Championship game.  That was slightly more disrespectful than a hand gesture.  I'm sure there have been one or two (hundreds of) instances of disrespectful trash-talk from our players this season that went beyond a hand signal.

Yes, it's disrespectful.  So what?  Be a man about it or at least see it without the orange-tinted glasses.  Chances are, you yourself are pretty damn disrespectful as a fan too.

What you fucking idiots don't understand is the double standard and based on the comments from people saying the same thing, I get the sense y'all will never understand. What the crowd does is completely irrelevant, the crowd can do whatever the hell it wants and it doesn't bother me. What the players say that isn't picked up by camera's is irrelevant, crazy shit is said back and forth all game long every game no problem with it. What I do have a problem with is that we are fucking targeted and held to a different standard, that is bullshit.

I have no problem with the opposing team throwing the horns down not being a penalty.....as long as we are allowed to be classless jackasses to, if we are allowed to be classless as well then by all means bring it on, but we aren't. Teams are hardly ever called for taunting like West Virginia was and every team we play seems to get to be classless jackasses while we are expected to win on a fucking white horse.

Nothing pissed me off more than while under Mack, after every win or loss, the first thing he did in his post game interview whether we won or lost is talk about how great of a program the other team was and how hard they fought.

I love how Jim Harbaugh wasn't called a jackass when one of his players desecrated Michigan State's mid field logo before the game, and Harbaugh defended him. Oh but Tom Herman is a jackass because he has a problem with the opposing team openly taunting our players with the horns down and we are just supposed to sit their and take it like good little boys.

Fuck that, throw the horns down all you want as long as we have a green light to be jackasses to.

Edited by Texas25
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

What you fucking idiots don't understand is the double standard and based on the comments from people saying the same thing, I get the sense y'all will never understand. What the crowd does is completely irrelevant, the crowd can do whatever the hell it wants and it doesn't bother me. What the players say that isn't picked up by camera's is irrelevant, crazy shit is said back and forth all game long every game no problem with it. What I do have a problem with is that we are fucking targeted and held to a different standard, that is bullshit.

I have no problem with the opposing team throwing the horns down not being a penalty.....as long as we are allowed to be classless jackasses to, if we are allowed to be classless as well then by all means bring it on, but we aren't. Teams are hardly ever called for taunting like West Virginia was and every team we play seems to get to be classless jackasses while we are expected to win on a fucking white horse.

Nothing pissed me off more than while under Mack, after every win or loss, the first thing he did in his post game interview whether we won or lost is talk about how great of a program the other team was and how hard they fought.

I love how Jim Harbaugh wasn't called a jackass when one of his players desecrated Michigan State's mid field logo before the game, and Harbaugh defended him. Oh but Tom Herman is a jackass because he has a problem with the opposing team openly taunting our players with the horns down and we are just supposed to sit their and take it like good little boys.

Fuck that, throw the horns down all you want as long as we have a green light to be jackasses to.

What do you have in mind as a classless jackass retort to opposing teams throwing the horns down?

1 minute ago, Greg Davis Apologist said:

What do you have in mind as a classless jackass retort to opposing teams throwing the horns down?

The opportunities are endless, spit on their logo in the endzone, don't flag Mike Davis for holstering guns after a touchdown against Tech etc... If the horns down is fair game then don't tie our guys hands behind their back. We should have free reign to disrespect right back. I hope we plant the Texas flag right in the middle of the West Virginia logo when we kick their ass in Morgantown next year and celebrate at mid-field on their logo. Then I'm going to expect not a single person associated with the West Virginia program to complain about it or do anything about it, I will expect them to take it like "men".

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Next year we could all fuck our sisters upside down in Morgantown

I'm thinking it would be more of a taunt when after a score, our player would rush up to the WVU fans and loudly proclaim "I REFUSE to fuck my sister."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juicy said:

isn't this just rehashing the Sam tweet? Seems like they are the ones that keep bringing it up. 

isn't this just rehashing the Sam tweet? Seems like they are the ones that keep bringing it up. 

I just saw the thing where even after the game when they went to visit the sick kid in the hospital they were still doing it.

I can understand doing something in the heat of the moment with the adrenaline rushing, but to keep doing it days after is super, how you say it? Aggy

It's as silly pants to me as penalizing the middle finger.  But then again, I will pay more attention to a horns down than I will to a middle finger because I know that person is directly targeting me.  Some kid flipping me off in traffic, I ain't gonna pay attention.  Somebody walks up to my family on the street when we are in orange or longhorn gear and does that, I have to admit---I wonder to myself "what else is this dipshit gonna do"...probably nothing but just getting in my wife or kids' face about it is troubling.  

That said, why don't we try something as a team or a fanbase.  Let's have 6 large men surround a smaller man or regular size woman and simulate gang rape and see if that upsets Baylor.

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It's as silly pants to me as penalizing the middle finger.  But then again, I will pay more attention to a horns down than I will to a middle finger because I know that person is directly targeting me.  Some kid flipping me off in traffic, I ain't gonna pay attention.  Somebody walks up to my family on the street when we are in orange or longhorn gear and does that, I have to admit---I wonder to myself "what else is this dipshit gonna do"...probably nothing but just getting in my wife or kids' face about it is troubling.  

That said, why don't we try something as a team or a fanbase.  Let's have 6 large men surround a smaller man or regular size woman and simulate gang rape and see if that upsets Baylor.

That shouldn't upset Baylor, they should just take it like men (pun intended) and not be cry babies about it. If they don't like it then they should just win.

• 3 weeks later...

Stop using "snowflake," snowflake.  That's played-out 4Chan/Gab Cloak Room crap.

But let them do the horns down - especially when they play other people.  Let them make it their primary means of identifying themselves.  It's like they're saying "I acknowledge the order of the universe and I don't like it.  So here is my pointless, powerless protest."

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 9:21 AM, Texas25 said:

What you fucking idiots don't understand is the double standard and based on the comments from people saying the same thing....

Ohh it's the "poor old Texas doesn't get treated the same" syndrome.  Look, there's a million and six different gestures that could be considered taunting by one ref and not by another.  There's gonna be some variation in the way games get called.  

We are expected to win on a white horse?  Expected by whom?  Outside of the OkSt 2016 game we aren't judged any differently than any other team.  If you think everyone is picking on poor little Texas on the regular, well that's jusy aggy-think. 

Harbaugh vs. Herman... I don't get your analogy.  Harbaugh has no problem with petty shit like that.  Herman does.  Ok.

If the ref is allowing the horns down in a particular game I'm pretty sure we do indeed have the greenlight you are looking for to throw the opponents hand gesture upside down in that same game too.  What makes you think we wouldn't have that green light?  Is it because our guy was flagged by a different crew for holstering guns 6 years ago?  Meh... different crew, different interpretation, half a decade ago.  

I hope the Big12 tells OU it's free-game on horns down and I hope we see plenty of it early.  I think it's disrespectful as all get out and it fires our guys up and I love that.  It's just an on-field version of bulletin board material.   For the record, I also think it's bullshit that Hager was reprimanded last week.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Ohh it's the "poor old Texas doesn't get treated the same" syndrome.  Look, there's a million and six different gestures that could be considered taunting by one ref and not by another.  There's gonna be some variation in the way games get called.  

We are expected to win on a white horse?  Expected by whom?  Outside of the OkSt 2016 game we aren't judged any differently than any other team.  If you think everyone is picking on poor little Texas on the regular, well that's jusy aggy-think. 

Harbaugh vs. Herman... I don't get your analogy.  Harbaugh has no problem with petty shit like that.  Herman does.  Ok.

If the ref is allowing the horns down in a particular game I'm pretty sure we do indeed have the greenlight you are looking for to throw the opponents hand gesture upside down in that same game too.  What makes you think we wouldn't have that green light?  Is it because our guy was flagged by a different crew for holstering guns 6 years ago?  Meh... different crew, different interpretation, half a decade ago.  

I hope the Big12 tells OU it's free-game on horns down and I hope we see plenty of it early.  I think it's disrespectful as all get out and it fires our guys up and I love that.  It's just an on-field version of bulletin board material.   For the record, I also think it's bullshit that Hager was reprimanded last week.  

Fuckers on the Kansas game thread kept complaining about the refs the entire game when there were zero penalties called on poor old Texas until the third quarter, delay of game being the first one. As opposed to five on Kansas by then. 

All of you who do that, deserve to be aggies. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 5

6 minutes ago, and said:

Fuckers on the Kansas game thread kept complaining about the refs the entire game when there were zero penalties called on poor old Texas until the third quarter, delay of game being the first one. As opposed to five on Kansas by then. 

All of you who do that, deserve to be aggies. 

Umm. Did you not see the onside kick?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UTDD said:

People should just spam Grier's feed with Horns Up over and over, and I also personally am not offended by the Horns Down, but totally fair to go back at him.

I am only offended that they can do that shit and whenever we retaliate we get a penalty. Call it both ways is all I ask.

• Like 1

Horns down means we own real estate in their tiny little domes.

I've always taken pride in opponents and fans doing it.  That people get butt-hurt over it or think it's disrespectful doesn't make sense.

You should want haters

Haters hate good shit

Follow Katt Williams and you will be set free

As noted above many times, Oklahoma basically use the Horns down as their de facto "hand sign". They do it without thinking about it the same way we do it "up".

The Horns down offends me not at all, but if the refs are gonna give us 15 yards every time some dumbass sooner throws it, then I say

giphy.gif