Pizza

blacklab

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Holy Crap ... the pizza at Milano Cafe on Southwest Parkway is fantastic and priced right.  17 bucks for the large Arbreshe pizza covered with prosciutto, albaneze sausage and feta cheese ... OUTSTANDING. Best pizza I've had in Austin in forever. Also had the veggie pizza and it was super.  But that Arbreshe .. I am going to dream about it.                                                                 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Holy Crap ... the pizza at Milano Cafe on Southwest Parkway is fantastic and priced right.  17 bucks for the large Arbreshe pizza covered with prosciutto, albaneze sausage and feta cheese ... OUTSTANDING. Best pizza I've had in Austin in forever. Also had the veggie pizza and it was super.  But that Arbreshe .. I am going to dream about it.                                                                 

Their pepperoni rolls are also fantastic. Good spot all around. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We tried Marye's (Bee Cave Rd) last night for the first time.  Good, not great.  The crust was thin & tasty but a little dense.  The sauce was tasty, but I wanted more.  The cheese is a blend of mozzarella and provolone, which worked surprisingly well. 

Quality ingredients for sure, and plenty of choice on toppings.  Will try again.  I can't believe they've been there 20 years -- I need to expand my horizons.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

whats up with grimaldis?  i dont want to deal with the fucked up traffic and parking at the domain, so this pickup location on burnet seems perfect.  the online ordering function never seems to work, and they dont answer their phone either.  plus its a 737 area code?

It's a ghost kitchen, in the Kitchen United building. Try ordering through the Kitchen United site. Food quality can vary. 

• 2 months later...

This is interesting.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/exclusive-lenoir-salt-time-owners-205345744.html

Matthew Odam, Austin American-Statesman

Tue, October 25, 2022 at 3:53 PM·2 min read

Mining childhood memories and tapping into their individual culinary expertise, Lenoir co-owner Todd Duplechan and Salt & Time co-owner Ben Runkle have formed a team to reimagine the family-friendly pizzerias of their youth.

The duo has partnered with Swedish Hill baker-partner Alex Manley, G’Raj Mahal founder Sidney Roberts and Natalie Davis and Joe Ritchie (partners in the nascent Present Tense Hospitality Group that Runkle started during the pandemic) to create Dovetail Pizza.

The new restaurant is slated to open in mid-November at 1816 South First St. in the space formerly occupied by Mumtaz Market, also a Roberts’ venture. The building across the street from Lenoir has previously housed Alcomar and El Chile, among others.

Better read: https://austin.eater.com/2022/10/26/23424529/dovetail-pizza-austin-restaurant-opening-south-first-mumtaz-market-closed-indian-restaurant

15 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Mining childhood memories and tapping into their individual culinary expertise, Lenoir co-owner Todd Duplechan and Salt & Time co-owner Ben Runkle have formed a team to reimagine the family-friendly pizzerias of their youth.

Dovetail will serve pizza, salads, and pasta. The first will include pies like the spicy Italian with Italian sausage, mozzarella, and chilis; meat (a mess of pepperoni, sausages, mortadella, and coppa); crab (which will be paired with roasted corn, cherry tomatoes, and chili crisp condiment); and the BitterSweet (with smoked eggplant, ricotta, sweet and hot peppers, and arugula). The pizzeria notes that it won’t offer the pizza staples of pepper flakes and parmesan; rather, it’ll have chile crisp and herby-vinegar oil for additional flavor drizzles. Manley, who is also McGuire Moorman Lambert’s corporate director of baking, developed the pizza dough. There will be a gluten-free option too.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Dovetail will serve pizza, salads, and pasta. The first will include pies like the spicy Italian with Italian sausage, mozzarella, and chilis; meat (a mess of pepperoni, sausages, mortadella, and coppa); crab (which will be paired with roasted corn, cherry tomatoes, and chili crisp condiment); and the BitterSweet (with smoked eggplant, ricotta, sweet and hot peppers, and arugula). The pizzeria notes that it won’t offer the pizza staples of pepper flakes and parmesan; rather, it’ll have chile crisp and herby-vinegar oil for additional flavor drizzles. Manley, who is also McGuire Moorman Lambert’s corporate director of baking, developed the pizza dough. There will be a gluten-free option too.

kids aint gonna eat that shit.  there better be some cheese pizza on the menu if they want it to be family-friendly.

17 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

kids aint gonna eat that shit.  there better be some cheese pizza on the menu if they want it to be family-friendly.

Yeah, I mean it all sounds good to me, but if you're attempting to reproduce the family friendly pizzeria of our childhoods, then that menu is... not exactly ideal.

The rest of the menu includes appetizers and sides like fry bread (a Native American food)

Man. Talk about eliciting childhood memories. Fry bread always makes me think of my father scalping plains settlers and eating raw buffalo testicles. Those were simpler times. 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Anastasis said:

This is interesting.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/exclusive-lenoir-salt-time-owners-205345744.html

Matthew Odam, Austin American-Statesman

Tue, October 25, 2022 at 3:53 PM·2 min read

The duo has partnered with Swedish Hill baker-partner Alex Manley, G’Raj Mahal founder Sidney Roberts and Natalie Davis and Joe Ritchie (partners in the nascent Present Tense Hospitality Group that Runkle started during the pandemic) to create Dovetail Pizza.

The new restaurant is slated to open in mid-November at 1816 South First St. in the space formerly occupied by Mumtaz Market, also a Roberts’ venture. The building across the street from Lenoir has previously housed Alcomar and El Chile, among others.

Better read: https://austin.eater.com/2022/10/26/23424529/dovetail-pizza-austin-restaurant-opening-south-first-mumtaz-market-closed-indian-restaurant

That location is cursed. There have probably been 7 different restaurants in that building over the last 8 years.

7 hours ago, HenryJames said:

I already hate this place.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, I mean it all sounds good to me, but if you're attempting to reproduce the family friendly pizzeria of our childhoods, then that menu is... not exactly ideal.

Seriously.  The family friendly pizzeria of our childhood already fucking exists.  It's Conan's. Deep dish for the adults, thin cheese pizza for the kids, the tastiest but unhealthiest side salad you can imagine, beer, sodas, wood paneling, video games. What more could you want?

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Seriously.  The family friendly pizzeria of our childhood already fucking exists.  It's Conan's. Deep dish for the adults, thin cheese pizza for the kids, the tastiest but unhealthiest side salad you can imagine, beer, sodas, wood paneling, video games. What more could you want?

Amen, brutha!

In fact, my kids have recently graduated from the thin crust, to the deep dish whole wheat.  I'm so proud.  I haven't convinced them to go full Savage just yet, but it's on the horizon.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/28/2022 at 9:58 AM, CooterBrown said:

I really hope someone got all the old games from G&S and can put them at local pizza joints.  I think they had two table games (Galaga/Mrs Pac-Man).

The hockey game with the CCCP scoreboard was one of my favorites.

On 10/28/2022 at 9:58 AM, CooterBrown said:

Grab $50 of Conan's for $25, dine-in only, includes alcohol if you buy food:

Mmmm, pie

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

I really hope someone got all the old games from G&S and can put them at local pizza joints.  I think they had two table games (Galaga/Mrs Pac-Man).

The hockey game with the CCCP scoreboard was one of my favorites.

that hockey game was awesome but it's been gone for a few years now. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2022 at 1:50 PM, texasdago said:

This is a friend's pizzeria... strongly recommend.  Dago approved.

https://www.baldinucci.pizza/

Went there last night. I wish it was a real restaurant, but they only have four table tops. It’s up there with pedrosos as the best pizza in town. The honey-spicy sausage Roma style pizza might be the best slice I’ve ever had. I really hope they expand into a larger place soon. 

On 12/24/2022 at 10:38 AM, Bolero88 said:

Went there last night. I wish it was a real restaurant, but they only have four table tops. It’s up there with pedrosos as the best pizza in town. The honey-spicy sausage Roma style pizza might be the best slice I’ve ever had. I really hope they expand into a larger place soon. 

They're trying to sort through it.  They already expanded the back of the pizzeria for more prep room and are trying to find a way to get more seating but, as you saw, they're sandwiched in.  

• 2 months later...