Advice on engagement ring budget

Rocko

Shaggy  Surly answer - DON'T get married

real answer - I've always thought 2 months salary is a little high unless you are scraping by in which case you shouldn't be spending 2 months salary on a ring.  Ultimately up to you to decide.  If your prospective bride is going to get too caught up in the cost of the ring you should take that as a warning and run away.  Not kidding.

Spend what you feel comfortable spending. Dont get sucked into any x% marketing nonsense. Have yall talked about it? Has she sent her friends links to rings she likes? That also may give an idea of what she's expecting.

Hell, maybe she'd prefer a cheaper ring and an engagement European vacation or something.

4 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

That said, don’t start a marriage in debt if you can help it.

This.

It’s also good to have financial conversations and start planning for the future.  This will go a long way and help get marriage started in the right foot (#2 reason for divorce relates to money).  This will also give you insight if this is someone you would want to marry.

Diamonds are not rare.  Repeat.  Diamonds are everywhere - alternative high pressure carbon, exceedingly abundant. Not at all rare.  Russians have warehouses full of them not selling them so as not to flood the market and crash the price.  Seriously - really fucking common substance. Remember that. 

4 minutes ago, beer said:

Diamonds are not rare.  Repeat.  Diamonds are everywhere - alternative high pressure carbon, exceedingly abundant. Not at all rare.  Russians have warehouses full of them not selling them so as not to flood the market and crash the price.  Seriously - really fucking common substance. Remember that. 

You are dealing with women so you can throw this well reasoned argument out the window.

2 Months is pretty standard.  

Cubic zarconia is actually more brilliant. She'll never know. If she finds out, tell you had to take a stand for the victims of violence and corruption that is part and parcel of the diamond business.

Separately, you're about to enter into a legally binding contract stipulating that 50% of every penny you earn for the entirely of your marriage instantly becomes hers. Great idea.

Bernard

1 minute ago, Bernard said:

Cubic zarconia is actually more brilliant. She'll never know. If she finds out, tell you had to take a stand for the victims of violence and corruption that is part and parcel of the diamond business.

Separately, you're about to enter into a legally binding contract stipulating that 50% of every penny you earn for the entirely of your marriage instantly becomes hers. Great idea.

Bernard

he might be the one benefiting from that financial contract.

23 hours ago, William_Cannon said:

What are her expectations?

This is important.  My wife pretty much told me what she liked and I searched for the cheapest price to get that.  I think all told I was about 1 and 1/2 month's salary.

Edited by Jimbaround

How about this...

Take a large piece of charcoal and shove it where the sun don't shine since we know it's tight enough back there to provide some solid compression.  Add in your body heat and you should be able to produce a nice rock.   If it doesn't work, you can look at it like a nice liberating experience.

On 3/27/2018 at 12:55 AM, Rocko said:

Since everyone on shaggy makes a million a year and only bangs 10s, maybe you can tell me what I should budget for an engagement ring. Is it still 2 months salary? 

in your case, twice of whatever you paid for her flight from norway

I’m sure it’s been mentioned already, but don’t buy it until you can pay for it straight up.

The smaller jewelers are also more willing to negotiate price especially if you’re buying it up front.

I ended up getting it custom made to get exactly what she wanted. Went back to same jeweler and he’s custom making the band as well to interlock with it perfectly. Also is giving us a nice deal on the band.