Gimme your DFW Metroplex "big night" go-to restaurants

solamente73

On 9/4/2021 at 8:35 AM, bluto said:

I think this qualifies as big night… tried the new Brazilian place called Meridian. Before you laugh at the fact it’s in the village (apt mega complex), you need to drive the area now to see how much coin they dropped. It’s actually pretty damn swanky.

Restaurant itself was fantastic. Everything from oysters to pork pasta to cheese fritters, drinks were excellent, service was great. Highly recommend, and while expensive not crazy… 2 apps, 2 entrees, shit ton of booze, $180.

One of my close friends' wife is part of the PR team for that whole development. I've been wanting to try it. Hear very good things.

Anybody been to Loro yet?

• 4 weeks later...

anybody been to the rooftop at Restoration fucking Hardware?  we're going next week for lunch.  i just looked at the menu.  my jaw hit the floor.  WTF?

i don't mind paying a lot of money for a good meal.  but i hate price gouging for generic stuff and feeling like i'm being nickled and dimed.  

all of the entrees at RH are "a la carte."  grilled cheese is $20.  burger is $20.  want fries?  that's $10.  truffled fries?  those are $18.

salmon is $32.  half chicken is $34.  oh, you want veggies?  that's gonna be $9 for potato puree or $12 for broccolini or $12 for wild mushrooms.

that's just petty.  this has to be all female driven.  no dude wants to go to RH to eat.  but the rooftop is supposed to be gorgeous, and women see it on Insta, so they want to get taken there.  and when you're there, the restaurant has you by the balls.  and yes, i'm going with the lady to meet her college friend and her husband.

this place sounds as egregious as the Salt Bae restaurant.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

anybody been to the rooftop at Restoration fucking Hardware?  we're going next week for lunch.  i just looked at the menu.  my jaw hit the floor.  WTF?

i don't mind paying a lot of money for a good meal.  but i hate price gouging for generic stuff and feeling like i'm being nickled and dimed.  

all of the entrees at RH are "a la carte."  grilled cheese is $20.  burger is $20.  want fries?  that's $10.  truffled fries?  those are $18.

salmon is $32.  half chicken is $34.  oh, you want veggies?  that's gonna be $9 for potato puree or $12 for broccolini or $12 for wild mushrooms.

that's just petty.  this has to be all female driven.  no dude wants to go to RH to eat.  but the rooftop is supposed to be gorgeous, and women see it on Insta, so they want to get taken there.  and when you're there, the restaurant has you by the balls.  and yes, i'm going with the lady to meet her college friend and her husband.

this place sounds as egregious as the Salt Bae restaurant.

I went for Sunday Brunch once. Once.

We all thought it was good, not great.

A little overpriced, but you’re not really going there to get a lot of food at a reasonable price. But yeah, I remember there was like a $12 side of bacon, which they presented almost like it was an entree and it was just a few slices of bacon. It was damn good bacon though.

View was good and space was cool.

They didn’t have any hard alcohol when we went, just beer and wine, which seemed pretty lame. Not sure if they’ve fixed that.

Despite being really hard to get a reservation, it wasn’t even close to full the whole time we were there. So guessing they are limiting capacity for covid/staffing issues.

And yeah, the chicks dig it. Everything is very gram-able…food pics, scene pics, view pics, hard res to get so you’ll look extra cool just for having gone…all that bull shit.

Struck me as the type of place where, once all the locals get a chance to check it out once or twice, it’ll mostly be for people who are in from out of town.

Prepare your wallet, don’t expect to get real full, enjoy the view and some people watching, and just kinda take one for the team knowing you’re making your woman happy.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I went for Sunday Brunch once. Once.

We all thought it was good, not great.

A little overpriced, but you’re not really going there to get a lot of food at a reasonable price. But yeah, I remember there was like a $12 side of bacon, which they presented almost like it was an entree and it was just a few slices of bacon. It was damn good bacon though.

View was good and space was cool.

They didn’t have any hard alcohol when we went, just beer and wine, which seemed pretty lame. Not sure if they’ve fixed that.

Despite being really hard to get a reservation, it wasn’t even close to full the whole time we were there. So guessing they are limiting capacity for covid/staffing issues.

And yeah, the chicks dig it. Everything is very gram-able…food pics, scene pics, view pics, hard res to get so you’ll look extra cool just for having gone…all that bull shit.

Struck me as the type of place where, once all the locals get a chance to check it out once or twice, it’ll mostly be for people who are in from out of town.

Prepare your wallet, don’t expect to get real full, enjoy the view and some people watching, and just kinda take one for the team knowing you’re making your woman happy.

Hard pass.  Thanks for taking one for the team.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RPM said:

I mean bacon is good, but gotdam.

Had to double-check that to see how bad I was exaggerating my point. Nope, not exaggerating at all. Here it is...$12 side of bacon.

bYkBO5.png

RH Brunch Menu

They kind of sneak it in there with their other breakfast dishes, all of which are a stand-alone entreee. I remember asking the waitress what all came with the bacon.

Here's a picture of it...

HeOro4.jpg

Had to double-check that to see how bad I was exaggerating my point. Nope, not exaggerating at all. Here it is...$12 side of bacon.
bYkBO5.png

RH Brunch Menu
They kind of sneak it in there with their other breakfast dishes, all of which are a stand-alone entreee. I remember asking the waitress what all came with the bacon.
Here's a picture of it...
HeOro4.jpg

So that’s maybe/roughly a third a pound of bacon for $12. Soooo $36/lb for some pork scrap. Salt bae indeed

• 3 months later...

Here is my mini review of Monarch.  

It is probably THE special occasion / big night out place in Dallas right right now.   The room is amazing, with incredible views that work really well with intimate tables.  There are niches with romantic banquettes and the whole place feels very big city.  The food is incredible, some of the best I have had in Dallas.   The warm bread, soprresatta and ricotta from the chef is about as nice a start to any meal that I can think of.  We loved everything we had:  wagyu beef carpaccio, tuna tartare, cacio y pepe, and a salt crusted whole fish.  Our favorite was a simple side roasted oyster mushrooms. Must have.   The wine list is great because it has a really wide range of wines and prices.  You can get a bottle for under $50 or max out your expense account with something incredible.  The night we were there during the week between Christmas and New Year's, it was like being at a fancy cocktail party.  The ladies were dressed to the nines and there was a great vibe.

BUT......

We went there for my birthday.  We dressed up and were ready to have a long (albeit expensive), nice dinner to celebrate.   Instead, we were given what my husband now calls the "bum's rush".   It's weird to complain about overly proficient service, but this was beyond that.  It was rude.  Our server was a friendly robot.  Only a few minutes after she took the order (all of it, per policy), the appetizers came out.   Then she showed up with what should have been the complimentary first course (the bread and soppresata).  We had plates all over the able.  They then proceeded to try to clear as fast as they could, while we were still eating.  They chose to not give us a pasta course because we only ordered one pasta.  So, everything else came out at once and very quickly.  We were less than 45 minutes in and they were clearing entrée plates as quickly as they could.  We mentioned all this to our server who apologized but then didn't even try to hide her eye roll as she walked away.   I later joked that she must get bonused on how quickly she can turn her tables.   This made her send a manager over to apologize as well.  I guess it was handled as nicely as possible, but for a special occasion place, they really missed the mark.   [/end rant/]

1 hour ago, DFWTexEx said:

It is probably THE special occasion / big night out place in Dallas right right now.   The room is amazing, with incredible views that work really well with intimate tables.  There are niches with romantic banquettes and the whole place feels very big city.  The food is incredible, some of the best I have had in Dallas.   The warm bread, soprresatta and ricotta from the chef is about as nice a start to any meal that I can think of.  We loved everything we had:  wagyu beef carpaccio, tuna tartare, cacio y pepe, and a salt crusted whole fish.  Our favorite was a simple side roasted oyster mushrooms. Must have.   The wine list is great because it has a really wide range of wines and prices.  You can get a bottle for under $50 or max out your expense account with something incredible.  The night we were there during the week between Christmas and New Year's, it was like being at a fancy cocktail party.  The ladies were dressed to the nines and there was a great vibe.

BUT......

We went there for my birthday.  We dressed up and were ready to have a long (albeit expensive), nice dinner to celebrate.   Instead, we were given what my husband now calls the "bum's rush".   It's weird to complain about overly proficient service, but this was beyond that.  It was rude.  Our server was a friendly robot.  Only a few minutes after she took the order (all of it, per policy), the appetizers came out.   Then she showed up with what should have been the complimentary first course (the bread and soppresata).  We had plates all over the able.  They then proceeded to try to clear as fast as they could, while we were still eating.  They chose to not give us a pasta course because we only ordered one pasta.  So, everything else came out at once and very quickly.  We were less than 45 minutes in and they were clearing entrée plates as quickly as they could.  We mentioned all this to our server who apologized but then didn't even try to hide her eye roll as she walked away.   I later joked that she must get bonused on how quickly she can turn her tables.   This made her send a manager over to apologize as well.  I guess it was handled as nicely as possible, but for a special occasion place, they really missed the mark.   [/end rant/]

No thanks.

2 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

my in-laws also had a really bad experience there as well in November.  nothing like our experience several months earlier, which was fantastic.

we're gonna hit up Tango Room Valentine's Day weekend.  gonna give that a whirl.

3 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

BUT......

My wife and I had dinner there while we were in town in December. When we checked-in, we were led to what had to be the worst table in the entire restaurant. They should be embarrassed to even offer it to a guest given the prices they charge. I said something to that effect to the hostess seating us and asked her to find us another table. We went and sat at the bar while she worked things out. She came back and offered us another table, but said we had to be done with it in 90 minutes. At that point I agreed so as not to ruin the night. I also made a comment to my wife that if the server was any good, there would be no way he would rush us given the amount of money we would be spending. 

Sure enough, our server was very perceptive when he took our cocktail orders and my wife ordered a pricey glass of champagne and I asked to speak with the somm. We ended up having an amazing meal with a fantastic bottle of wine and great service. Our server even sent out a complimentary caviar service. We will go back again and request the same server, but our initial experience was quite off-putting.

Edited by royiv

2 hours ago, royiv said:

My wife and I had dinner there while we were in town in December. When we checked-in, we were led to what had to be the worst table in the entire restaurant. They should be embarrassed to even offer it to a guest given the prices they charge. I said something to that effect to the hostess seating us and asked her to find us another table. We went and sat at the bar while she worked things out. She came back and offered us another table, but said we had to be done with it in 90 minutes. At that point I agreed so as not to ruin the night. I also made a comment to my wife that if the server was any good, there would be no way he would rush us given the amount of money we would be spending. 

Sure enough, our server was very perceptive when he took our cocktail orders and my wife ordered a pricey glass of champagne and I asked to speak with the somm. We ended up having an amazing meal with a fantastic bottle of wine and great service. Our server even sent out a complimentary caviar service. We will go back again and request the same server, but our initial experience was quite off-putting.

We had cocktails at Kessaku first (great experience; loved it).  So, for dinner, we just got nice glasses of white to start and then worked with somm and got a $250 bottle for the meal.  It wasn't enough.

• 4 weeks later...

If you want a very different DFW experience your bride will love, try Gorji in Addison. 5 tables. Price fixe with lots of choices. No tipping. Chef, sous chef, servers. Chef will talk with you and suggest wine pairings. Exceptional service. It was named top steakhouse in Dallas but it’s way more. Chef is Persian so some Mediterranean notes in some dishes.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/13/2022 at 8:52 PM, Texzilla58 said:

If you want a very different DFW experience your bride will love, try Gorji in Addison. 5 tables. Price fixe with lots of choices. No tipping. Chef, sous chef, servers. Chef will talk with you and suggest wine pairings. Exceptional service. It was named top steakhouse in Dallas but it’s way more. Chef is Persian so some Mediterranean notes in some dishes.

we've been there several times.  such a good spot.  Gorji answers the phone when you make reservations, he greets you when you walk in, and, like you said, chats you up during the meal.  it's very unpretentious but really delicious.  

we went to Tango Room this weekend.  as Landomatic has stated, it is expensive AF.  but it was a great meal with great service and a nice ambiance.  it's like the anti-Monarch.  it's a smaller space.  very subdued.  the music was at a noticeably lower volume.  they had a great playlist that was background music, but you never felt like you were talking over it or had to scream.  the wine list was nice.  we split the 32 ounce bone in ribeye.  very tasty and meaty.  it wasn't overly seasoned or overly buttered.  just a great cut of meat where you could savor the flavor of the beef.  

overall, i'd recommend this place for a special occasion.  absolutely.  but just once a year.  good lord, it's pricey.

oh, and Jamie Benn was there that night with his lady friend, so that was cool.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The wife and I knocked out Homewood finally on Saturday night. We sat at the kitchen counter. We got the Serrano Ham starter (came with a large sesame cracker-type thing, Texas peaches and pickled jalapenos). The ham/peach combo was pretty divine. Then we ordered the Ricotta Cappelletti, which was out-of-this-world fantastic. It was a stuffed pasta with sweet corn, shiitake puree center and a lemony sauce with some kind of Japanese garnish/herb called shiso (like their mint??). This was probably the best bite of food I've had all year.

We passed on the Grilled Halibut main because peanuts were somehow incorporated (this is my kryptonite when it comes to food as I love peanuts by themselves) and also because the server said it was pretty spicy (I don't mind the spice but demurred because Mrs C-Man and I were sharing plates and she doesn't do spicy as well as I do). The chicken sounded boring but the couple next to us got it and it looked pretty good (I also remembered my wife's chicken dish from FT33 that was mind-blowingly good). I didn't want short rib as that can be really rich and my wife can't process beef since she had her gall bladder removed. That left us with the Vermilion Rockfish, which was only OK in my book. I think my wife liked it much more than I did. We ended up with a nice dessert that had sorbet and more peaches. All in all, it was a pretty good dinner.

On 7/25/2022 at 3:00 PM, C-Man said:

The wife and I knocked out Homewood finally on Saturday night. We sat at the kitchen counter. We got the Serrano Ham starter (came with a large sesame cracker-type thing, Texas peaches and pickled jalapenos). The ham/peach combo was pretty divine. Then we ordered the Ricotta Cappelletti, which was out-of-this-world fantastic. It was a stuffed pasta with sweet corn, shiitake puree center and a lemony sauce with some kind of Japanese garnish/herb called shiso (like their mint??). This was probably the best bite of food I've had all year.

We passed on the Grilled Halibut main because peanuts were somehow incorporated (this is my kryptonite when it comes to food as I love peanuts by themselves) and also because the server said it was pretty spicy (I don't mind the spice but demurred because Mrs C-Man and I were sharing plates and she doesn't do spicy as well as I do). The chicken sounded boring but the couple next to us got it and it looked pretty good (I also remembered my wife's chicken dish from FT33 that was mind-blowingly good). I didn't want short rib as that can be really rich and my wife can't process beef since she had her gall bladder removed. That left us with the Vermilion Rockfish, which was only OK in my book. I think my wife liked it much more than I did. We ended up with a nice dessert that had sorbet and more peaches. All in all, it was a pretty good dinner.

Shit we probably were there at the same time.  We got the ricotta cappelletti as well and the halibut.  Both were fucking good but the cappelletti was some of the best fucking pasta I've eaten and I've been all over Italy.  I really wanted to try their gnocchi but it wasn't on the menu that specific weekend.  Homewood was very good, I plan to go back.

We ended up going to the chocolate dessert place across the street for a quick coffee and they had live jazz music which was a great end to a the night.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Shit we probably were there at the same time.  We got the ricotta cappelletti as well and the halibut.  Both were fucking good but the cappelletti was some of the best fucking pasta I've eaten and I've been all over Italy.  I really wanted to try their gnocchi but it wasn't on the menu that specific weekend.  Homewood was very good, I plan to go back.

We ended up going to the chocolate dessert place across the street for a quick coffee and they had live jazz music which was a great end to a the night.  

I'm still thinking about it 10 days later. It was that friggin' good.

What time were y'all there? We sat at the kitchen counter at 7:30 or 7:45, I think.

On 1/21/2022 at 9:27 AM, DFWTexEx said:

BUT......

Have been to Monarch three times now. Each time a great experience.

When my SO and I go to any upscale place, one of the first things I tell the wait person is, "We are going to be eating very European. Which means, we are going to be here a good, long while." We have never received push back.

Talk to the sommelier every time. Ask their advice/opinions on food/wine pairing (even if the intention is to order by the glass).

Set expectations at the start.

On 9/4/2021 at 8:35 AM, bluto said:

I think this qualifies as big night… tried the new Brazilian place called Meridian. Before you laugh at the fact it’s in the village (apt mega complex), you need to drive the area now to see how much coin they dropped. It’s actually pretty damn swanky.

Restaurant itself was fantastic. Everything from oysters to pork pasta to cheese fritters, drinks were excellent, service was great. Highly recommend, and while expensive not crazy… 2 apps, 2 entrees, shit ton of booze, $180.

Fuck yeah it is.  I rode my bike back in there and was gobsmacked.  There's some probably $7500/mo apts in there. 

On 4/4/2022 at 5:16 PM, Zepol87 said:

Appreciate the Gorji rec, hitting it up in a few weeks. Also going to Petra and the Beast for my birthday later this month, my cousin better bring it

Petra and the Beast is coming to my hood!!!!  Can't wait!

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/08-08-22-misti-norris-petra-beast-lakewood-smokehouse-relocating/?fbclid=IwAR1KrGVnUxntXSc1SZWKXVHZjDTUB1KSn76sUiSpWRQn7JkUjmdZq9bFAhw

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/8/2022 at 6:31 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Wife and I are going to Public School 214 and The Rustic on the 20th for her bday.  Anyone have any thoughts on either?

PS 214 is a chain restaurant if I'm not mistaken. The Rustic is average but you can do a hell of a lot better in that part of town.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

PS 214 is a chain restaurant if I'm not mistaken. The Rustic is average but you can do a hell of a lot better in that part of town.

Got it.  My wife picked the spots, so I'm obligated per the choices.  The former is just for drinks. Thanks @C-Man.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

10 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Got it.  My wife picked the spots, so I'm obligated per the choices.  The former is just for drinks. Thanks @C-Man.

The Rustic is not bad. It's a pretty cool venue and good place to hang out. I'm sure there will be live music. Hopefully, it won't be too hot because the best part about The Rustic is the patio.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

Doing Drake's on Saturday.  Reservation isn't until 8:15 so trying to think of where to get a drink before.  Coming over from Lake Highlands area.  I can't think of really anything close by other than Inwood Tavern which isn't the Vibe looking for before Drake's.  Anything I'm not thinking of?

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Jose and Neighborhood Services are close by. 

Thanks. Haven't been to Jose so might try that.  That Neighborhood Services bar is typically pretty packed.  Was hoping to find a good cocktail bar not necessarily part of a restaurant but don't think that really exists in that area.

On 8/19/2022 at 1:15 PM, Skipper said:

Thanks. Haven't been to Jose so might try that.  That Neighborhood Services bar is typically pretty packed.  Was hoping to find a good cocktail bar not necessarily part of a restaurant but don't think that really exists in that area.

Sorry -- just seeing this. I live right down the street from Drake's. There's nothing that fits the description of "cocktail bar" in the area really. Bistro 31 in HP Village probably does but that's not super close to Drake's. Lover's Seafood has a pretty fun bar but I bet it was packed when you would've wanted to be there last night. I don't know if Rathbun/Fearing's new place (old Fireside Pies location) is open yet next to Shinsei. So I have no idea what it's like inside. I always liked the bar in the Inwood Theater -- I think it's still there. Kind of funky.

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Sorry -- just seeing this. I live right down the street from Drake's. There's nothing that fits the description of "cocktail bar" in the area really. Bistro 31 in HP Village probably does but that's not super close to Drake's. Lover's Seafood has a pretty fun bar but I bet it was packed when you would've wanted to be there last night. I don't know if Rathbun/Fearing's new place (old Fireside Pies location) is open yet next to Shinsei. So I have no idea what it's like inside. I always liked the bar in the Inwood Theater -- I think it's still there. Kind of funky.

We got a later start so ended up just having a couple of drinks at the bar at Drake's.  It was our first time there.  Big fan.   We shared a Wagyu meatball, Rick's pizza, NY Strip and the chocolate cake.  Fantastic meal and cool atmosphere.  We'll be back. 

On 9/16/2021 at 10:39 PM, Jive Turkey said:

oh shit.  i need to check out Loro.  i was at E Bar over the summer right before Loro opened and haven't thought of it since.

A second Loro is opening in Addison near Belt Line and Montfort.  New building from the ground up.

Probably at least two months away from being completed then opened.

• 1 month later...

So I hit the half-century mark next Wednesday night and Mrs C-Man is making dinner reservations at Monarch as we haven't been and she knows I've been wanting to go. In reading back over some of these comments, I wonder if we should do something else. We can apparently "book" a window table for $125/person but that will be applied to the bill. That also guarantees two hours at the table. I love good food and (wife appreciates it but eats to live rather than live to eat). She also no longer drinks due to health reasons. I also know we will have no issues getting to $250+ on the bill here even with her non-boozing. I hear Monarch is phenomenal but the whole idea of paying to guarantee a table and them "allowing" us to stay two hours seems a bit much. Wonder if my 50th BD might be better spent somewhere else.

19 minutes ago, C-Man said:

So I hit the half-century mark next Wednesday night and Mrs C-Man is making dinner reservations at Monarch as we haven't been and she knows I've been wanting to go. In reading back over some of these comments, I wonder if we should do something else. We can apparently "book" a window table for $125/person but that will be applied to the bill. That also guarantees two hours at the table. I love good food and (wife appreciates it but eats to live rather than live to eat). She also no longer drinks due to health reasons. I also know we will have no issues getting to $250+ on the bill here even with her non-boozing. I hear Monarch is phenomenal but the whole idea of paying to guarantee a table and them "allowing" us to stay two hours seems a bit much. Wonder if my 50th BD might be better spent somewhere else.

you get a lovely view of the south side of downtown. on a clear day, you might even glimpse grand prairie.

the food is great but the view is way overrated and not worth $10.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 11:39 AM, C-Man said:

Happy birthday!