The Beto Effect - How To Lose Elections and Influence Nothing

tantric superman

14 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

Name one piece of legislation that Beto had passed that wasn’t changing the name of a courthouse that benefitted the people of Texas?  The only smart thing he did was marry in to a wealthy family.  He couldn’t use his fake name to beat Ted Cruz, who is universally hated, and Greg Abbott who is also hated.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.  Even with his fake name, all the pandering, all the Hollywood money and the MSM media in his corner, he couldn’t win either election.  He’s the democrats Clayton Williams.

Biden is simple.  Whatever he decides, do the opposite.  Obama only picked him because he wanted the moderate white vote and knew Biden could deliver that. Biden was against the raid to kill OBL.  He was the author of the crime bill that locked up more minorities.  

As President he’s made some decisions that are killing Americans:

First was his decision to halt oil and gas leases on federal land.  That has had the biggest affect on the price of gas in the US.  To try and dispel this, NPR wrote this fluff piece:

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/28/1076281662/federal-judge-canceled-gulf-oil-and-gas-leases-climate-change

Word trickery.  A lease is the first step. Then the drilling permit.  I don’t have the facts at hand to say whether Biden is outpacing trump in permits or not but I do know that zero onshore leases on federal lands have been awarded under Biden. It takes 140 days to get a federal drilling permit. Takes 2 days for a Texas drilling permit in private land. 

Biden did hold an offshore auction last year, but only after they were ordered by a federal judge to resume auctions.  It may have been the “largest” auction in terms of potential leases offered, but it wasn’t the largest in terms of leases awarded.  Main reason people weren’t interested was the ridiculously high “social cost of carbon” at $51/ton as developed under Obama, reduced to $7 under Trump, and back to $51 under Biden. A federal judge recently issued an injunction preventing Biden admin from using the $51.  

They will tell you that there are 9000 leases available to drill on.  Again, word trickery.  If there was oil available the oil companies would drill.  Now Biden to save face is claiming to renew leases on federal lands.  It’s about 20% of the acreage originally planned, and they are raising the royalty from 12.5% to 19%.  summary: step in right direction, small acreage, less profitable for drillers. Biden sold out to the environmentalists and this is the result.  Once you raise the cost of fuel, all good go up.  If green was sustainable and we could use it, don’t you think we would?  

Biden could reverse this and it would take 6-8 months for production to come back and the prices to drop.  He can’t do that because of his base.  So he throws out fluff like “Tapping the federal reserve”. It does nothing.  The US consumes 17M barrels a day.  1M isn’t shit.  Trump tried to buy out the state of Texas in 2020 to replenish our reserve and was blocked by Chuck Schumer and the democrats in congress

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2020/03/13/trump-oil-strategic-reserve/

That would have been at $1 a barrel.  When Biden first hit the reserve it was done at an auction and wasn’t beneficial to anyone.  Only 2 companies bid and it was for 14M barrels, or almost 1 day of consumption.  The cost was $2.50 a barrel and companies had to replace 10% back. It was bullshit.

Biden allowed the Nord Stream 2 online. This gave Putin the power and $$$ he needed to invade Ukraine.  Eastern and Western Europe were told not to do it.  They did.  Now where are they?  They are at the mercy of a madman who is killing the innocent people in Ukraine.  If Biden would repeal his executive order, we could strangle Putin and end the war in Ukraine.  He won’t. That would also stop OPEC from being the cartel they are.

I won’t even get into the southern border.

Does this suffice?

I need more.

8 minutes ago, elfenix said:

what a bunch of nonsense.  production on federal land is <3% of total global production.  production in fiscal 2022 is up 5% this YoY. 

nordstream 2 never came online.  putin didn't make a dime off it. 

why do you think posting a bunch of easily disprovable lies is going to convince anyone of anything?

We wuz energy independent under Trump!

• Haha 8

Wow. That didn’t disappoint. And no it doesn’t suffice. You just used a lot of words to say “I don’t like Biden or that Beto guy!” Congrats on the essay. Enjoy the rest of your Memorial Day weekend. If you can 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, elfenix said:

what a bunch of nonsense.  production on federal land is <3% of total global production.  production in fiscal 2022 is up 5% this YoY. 

why do you think posting a bunch of easily disprovable lies is going to convince anyone of anything?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/05/business/germany-russia-oil-gas-coal.html

I work for a European company. Most of the Baltic countries and Western Europe reply on Russia for Oil and Gas.  That money goes to Putin.  Whether it came from Nordstream is immaterial.  Europe depends on Russia for oil and gas.  

As far as production goes, the US was getting 1.8M barrels a day from federal leases in the Gulf of Mexico.  That’s gone. In 2021 we were importing 672,000 barrels a day from Russia. Why?  Why import from Saudi Arabia and Mexico?  We can do it here but we don’t. Stupid.  

• Fuck You 2

8 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Wow. That didn’t disappoint. And no it doesn’t suffice. You just used a lot of words to say “I don’t like Biden or that Beto guy!” Congrats on the essay. Enjoy the rest of your Memorial Day weekend. If you can 

Never once did I say I didn’t lie that guy. I asked simple questions and gave you facts.  If you don’t like it, fine. 

7 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

Never once did I say I didn’t lie that guy. I asked simple questions and gave you facts.  If you don’t like it, fine. 

Did that neg make you feel better? And idk. “Biden is simple. Whatever he decides, do the opposite.” Sounds kinda like you don’t like him. Or should I say, “word trickery” on your part. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

I work for a European company. Most of the Baltic countries and Western Europe reply on Russia for Oil and Gas.  That money goes to Putin.  Whether it came from Nordstream is immaterial.  Europe depends on Russia for oil and gas.  

As far as production goes, the US was getting 1.8M barrels a day from federal leases in the Gulf of Mexico.  That’s gone. In 2021 we were importing 672,000 barrels a day from Russia. Why?  Why import from Saudi Arabia and Mexico?  We can do it here but we don’t. Stupid.  

Stupid is relying on fossil fuels.  

• Hook 'Em 6

31 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

I work for a European company. Most of the Baltic countries and Western Europe reply on Russia for Oil and Gas.  That money goes to Putin.  . . .   Europe depends on Russia for oil and gas.  

Yeah, we know that.  A problem many years in the making.  How was Biden supposed to solve that problem for Europe in 18 months?   Or in the last six or so when the problem became acute?

31 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

Whether it came from Nordstream is immaterial.

Sure seemed material when you were blaming Biden for opening Nord Stream in post 100, when he didn't, actually.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 2

Not at all. I find it funny that I simply stated my opinion, which will be fact in November, and the roaches came out of the closet to flip me off. I thought liberals preach tolerance? I was wrong. Oh well, have a great Memorial Day 

Lmao what a bunch of thin skinned aggy nonsense

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Lmao what a bunch of thin skinned aggy nonsense

Middle fingers he says? I didn’t neg him yet he negged me if that’s what he’s referring to. And omg!!!! What critical thinking!!! It’ll be fact that Beto loses to Abbot this fall. Yeah. No shit. This is our concern, dude. The state has been overrun by aggys (like him) then he screams it’s Beto and Biden’s fault. Got it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Say what you will about Beto, but somebody from the democratic party had to run for governor. At least he's sticking his neck out and trying. A helluva lot more than I can say about some of the other democratic "stars" in this state.
It's unfortunately going to take a woefully under qualified name like a Drew Brees to run as a D governor candidate to change anything. And since Lt Guv and Attorney General hold the true power and Texas will elect cretins and felons like Goeb and Paxton until the end of time it doesn't really matter.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

Beto has accomplished structural change through fundraising outreach and list serves for contacts that make Dem operatives cry, made relationships in areas neglected by leadership, and reached out to potential voters rejected, yet the way some on this board cast it aside because of an editorialized Vanity Fair cover is fucking hilarious. It will be close. Texas is already within margin of what Georgia was in 2016 before 2020, and we have many more metro areas. It will hopefully shake up the TX state house within 4 years by having 3 consecutive years of high engagement making people permanent voters, and bring balance to a legislature dominated by Fox news enthusiasts. If you truly think this state is made up of single issue voters on guns, rather than them having a head start on registration and participation, we will find out with authority in the next 6 years my best guess. It’s laughable to me, thinking an issue that dominates one party (Republicans) that only splits one gender (men) on one issue (guns) will determine the outcome in elections moving forward. Attack hard. Everyone here used to be a brain dead dumb fucking Republican so you should understand attacking strengths.

Rural healthcare and Medicaid expansion talked about persuasively can undercut that message strongly. Rural Texas is closer to death than it is an arm reach to a gun.

• Hook 'Em 8

I think we've got a pretty good slate headed into November.  I've met and listened to most of them, several more than once.     Not a single one of them is inferior to any of the Republicans running.  

These candidates are well spoken and knowledgeable.  I guess they just don't look "right" for some reason.   It's really odd though how much these candidates have been disparaged, and how little is known about them, short of Beto and maybe Collier.   Lupe is not running, neither is Wendy.  Leave that in the past and reach out and educate yourself on some of the 2022 candidates.  You might be surprised.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
4 hours ago, ultimaton said:
Say what you will about Beto, but somebody from the democratic party had to run for governor. At least he's sticking his neck out and trying. A helluva lot more than I can say about some of the other democratic "stars" in this state.

It's unfortunately going to take a woefully under qualified name like a Drew Brees to run as a D governor candidate to change anything. And since Lt Guv and Attorney General hold the true power and Texas will elect cretins and felons like Goeb and Paxton until the end of time it doesn't really matter.

I'm about 90% sure a white athlete from Westlake who hawked MLM and wasn't on speaking terms with his own mother is not going to be a democrat. But that's just me.

23 hours ago, Harvdog said:

Name one piece of legislation that Beto had passed that wasn’t changing the name of a courthouse that benefitted the people of Texas?  The only smart thing he did was marry in to a wealthy family.  He couldn’t use his fake name to beat Ted Cruz, who is universally hated, and Greg Abbott who is also hated.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.  Even with his fake name, all the pandering, all the Hollywood money and the MSM media in his corner, he couldn’t win either election.  He’s the democrats Clayton Williams.

Biden is simple.  Whatever he decides, do the opposite.  Obama only picked him because he wanted the moderate white vote and knew Biden could deliver that. Biden was against the raid to kill OBL.  He was the author of the crime bill that locked up more minorities.  

As President he’s made some decisions that are killing Americans:

First was his decision to halt oil and gas leases on federal land.  That has had the biggest affect on the price of gas in the US.  To try and dispel this, NPR wrote this fluff piece:

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/28/1076281662/federal-judge-canceled-gulf-oil-and-gas-leases-climate-change

Word trickery.  A lease is the first step. Then the drilling permit.  I don’t have the facts at hand to say whether Biden is outpacing trump in permits or not but I do know that zero onshore leases on federal lands have been awarded under Biden. It takes 140 days to get a federal drilling permit. Takes 2 days for a Texas drilling permit in private land. 

Biden did hold an offshore auction last year, but only after they were ordered by a federal judge to resume auctions.  It may have been the “largest” auction in terms of potential leases offered, but it wasn’t the largest in terms of leases awarded.  Main reason people weren’t interested was the ridiculously high “social cost of carbon” at $51/ton as developed under Obama, reduced to $7 under Trump, and back to $51 under Biden. A federal judge recently issued an injunction preventing Biden admin from using the $51.  

They will tell you that there are 9000 leases available to drill on.  Again, word trickery.  If there was oil available the oil companies would drill.  Now Biden to save face is claiming to renew leases on federal lands.  It’s about 20% of the acreage originally planned, and they are raising the royalty from 12.5% to 19%.  summary: step in right direction, small acreage, less profitable for drillers. Biden sold out to the environmentalists and this is the result.  Once you raise the cost of fuel, all good go up.  If green was sustainable and we could use it, don’t you think we would?  

Biden could reverse this and it would take 6-8 months for production to come back and the prices to drop.  He can’t do that because of his base.  So he throws out fluff like “Tapping the federal reserve”. It does nothing.  The US consumes 17M barrels a day.  1M isn’t shit.  Trump tried to buy out the state of Texas in 2020 to replenish our reserve and was blocked by Chuck Schumer and the democrats in congress

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2020/03/13/trump-oil-strategic-reserve/

That would have been at $1 a barrel.  When Biden first hit the reserve it was done at an auction and wasn’t beneficial to anyone.  Only 2 companies bid and it was for 14M barrels, or almost 1 day of consumption.  The cost was $2.50 a barrel and companies had to replace 10% back. It was bullshit.

Biden allowed the Nord Stream 2 online. This gave Putin the power and $$$ he needed to invade Ukraine.  Eastern and Western Europe were told not to do it.  They did.  Now where are they?  They are at the mercy of a madman who is killing the innocent people in Ukraine.  If Biden would repeal his executive order, we could strangle Putin and end the war in Ukraine.  He won’t. That would also stop OPEC from being the cartel they are.

I won’t even get into the southern border.

Does this suffice?

Killing people is when you let energy producers fail to maintain their equipment so that more than a couple of days below freezing collapses your power grid. 

oh and 

Biden’s First Year Drilling Permitting Stomps Trump’s By 34% &nbsp;Thousands of Permits OK’d Despite President’s Authority to End Drilling by 2035

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, elfenix said:

Because he’s a moron

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I'm about 90% sure a white athlete from Westlake who hawked MLM and wasn't on speaking terms with his own mother is not going to be a democrat. But that's just me.

He bought “investment diamonds” and lost money. He opened a Jimmy John’s franchise when he played for the saints in one of the few legit culinary proud cities in America.  Drew Brees is the epitome of shitty me first selfish pricks. He’s definitely a Republican docuher. FTS.

• Hook 'Em 1

Brees seemed like a big douche with his flag kneeling comments and subsequent walkback (once he realized he pissed off most of the players). Anybody that gets offended by people peacefully protesting in this country doesnt have a fucking clue about what this country is supposed to be about. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 11:23 PM, Harvdog said:

And this post right here tells me you know absolutely jackshit about the energy industry in the US.  Your outrage is canned talking points from somewhere else.  Also, since that article is 2 months old…

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/05/30/world/russia-ukraine-war/eu-reaches-agreement-on-a-russian-oil-import-ban?smid=url-share

Get fucked.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

He comes across as a goofball, but there’s nothing inherently bad about that. His biggest challenge isn’t the issues he runs on, it’s that he’s lost two in a row. Voters aren’t very forgiving when a candidate has the stench of failure all over them. 

Voters aren’t very forgiving when a candidate has the stench of failure all over them. 

Paxton is an abject failure and criminal. He continues to get re-elected.

Danny Goeb is corrupt and incompetent. He continues to get re-elected.

Abbott has pilfered billions from state funds in a useless stunt to raise his profile for a run at POTUS. He sat by as ERCOT failed repeatedly, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of Texans. He is also likely to get re-elected.

Why? Because Texas is full of easily distracted rubes who vote against their own interests--short and long term--in order to keep the browns in check and liberals at bay.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Paxton is an abject failure and criminal. He continues to get re-elected.

Danny Goeb is corrupt and incompetent. He continues to get re-elected.

Abbott has pilfered billions from state funds in a useless stunt to raise his profile for a run at POTUS. He sat by as ERCOT failed repeatedly, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of Texans. He is also likely to get re-elected.

Why? Because Texas is full of easily distracted rubes who vote against their own interests--short and long term--in order to keep the browns in check and liberals at bay.

They definitely want to keep the liberals at bay, and frankly have succeeded in that endeavor. Your examples are different in that they’ve actually ran a successful campaign. The stats are very poor for politicians that have failed twice. If he fails again for a third time, his political career will be over. 

17 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think I generally like Beto.  But his vacillation on guns is annoying.

It reflects critical thought directed at the tension between a 2nd Amendment which has been somewhat erroneously interpreted by the Supreme Court and the tragic violence explained by the sheer abundance of weaponry in the US.

• Like 1

I thought liberals preach tolerance? I was wrong.

Harvdog wrote the above. It amuses me how rightists, instead of adopting a virtue themselves (they generally don't), they criticize those who do aspire to the same virtue as imperfect at it. Maybe this was the beginning of them not really standing for anything other than not being ebil libs.

I thought libs were supposed to not be racist. I thought libs believed in tolerance. I thought libs believed in helping people. I thought libs were supposed to be nice.

No objective person has thought the same about rightists since the Rush and Reagan Show of the early 80s.

• Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Harvdog wrote the above. It amuses me how rightists, instead of adopting a virtue themselves (they generally don't), they criticize those who do aspire to the same virtue as imperfect at it. Maybe this was the beginning of them not really standing for anything other than not being ebil libs.

I thought libs were supposed to not be racist. I thought libs believed in tolerance. I thought libs believed in helping people. I thought libs were supposed to be nice.

No objective person has thought the same about rightists since the Rush and Reagan Show of the early 80s.

because for the duration of my life on this planet people on the right have by and large tried to take people's rights away and those on the left have generally tried to expand someone's given rights. most people that want you or me to be less free generally aren't thought of as good people.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Also, getting back to the press conference disruption, it's yet another instance of Rs screaming about decorum while they blatantly ignore their own lack of decorum and unbridled assholery.  It's one of the more disingenuous tactics they use among a sea of disingenuous bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

He comes across as a goofball, but there’s nothing inherently bad about that. His biggest challenge isn’t the issues he runs on, it’s that he’s lost two in a row. Voters aren’t very forgiving when a candidate has the stench of failure all over them. 

i don't completely disagree with this, although what some call goofy i would call personable.

but yeah, i'd pretty much written him off as a soon to be three time loser myself...but then he goes and confronts Texas' "leaders" to their face in public and i kinda thought 'eh...maybe?' and threw him some $.

i guess we'll see...but at least he's showing some aggressiveness. i mean what choice does he have at this stage? he has nothing to lose going for the jugular.

Beto is going to lose because he doesn’t have the numbers. 

If the Dems had messaging worth a shit, hey could possibly make up some ground considering Abbot continues to murder his constituents via the grid, guns, and pandemic. But we know that is unlikely. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Also, getting back to the press conference disruption, it's yet another instance of Rs screaming about decorum while they blatantly ignore their own lack of decorum and unbridled assholery.  It's one of the more disingenuous tactics they use among a sea of disingenuous bullshit.

Very much this^ The spectacle of the red faced gun humping Republican mayor of Uvalde cursing Beto out on national TV spoke volumes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Beto is going to lose because he doesn’t have the numbers. 

I think the numbers are closer than people realize. Another poster said we're within the gap that Georgia was at from 2016 to 2020, and we have more metro and suburban areas that are growing faster. Also, Betomania did not really heat up until like August (late July at the earliest) in 2018. He's much further along in 2022 than he was at the same point in time relative to the 2018 race.

True, Greg Abbott is a better candidate than Ted Cruz, but (1) that tells us absolutely nothing and (2) Abbott has become much less moderate since 2018 when he steamrolled Lupe. This will be a different race, and it's winnable.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I think the numbers are closer than people realize. Another poster said we're within the gap that Georgia was at from 2016 to 2020, and we have more metro and suburban areas that are growing faster. Also, Betomania did not really heat up until like August (late July at the earliest) in 2018. He's much further along in 2022 than he was at the same point in time relative to the 2018 race.

True, Greg Abbott is a better candidate than Ted Cruz, but (1) that tells us absolutely nothing and (2) Abbott has become much less moderate since 2018 when he steamrolled Lupe. This will be a different race, and it's winnable.

Beto has so many issues to pound Abbott on.  School shootings, Snowpocalypse, Border Nonsense, etc.  If Beto loses again (which I expect) it will just confirm that not enough people in Texas give a shit.  If people came out to vote, Abbott would go down, no doubt in my mind.

• Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Beto has so many issues to pound Abbott on.  School shootings, Snowpocalypse, Border Nonsense, etc.  If Beto loses again (which I expect) it will just confirm that not enough people in Texas give a shit.  If people came out to vote, Abbott would go down, no doubt in my mind.

not for nothing but Beto has 5 votes from me and my immediate family - and three of them would not have voted for him a few elections ago. Abbott and Texas R's have been THAT BAD.

Along with Snowpocalypse I think he should pound him on wasting taxpayers money. HHS and DPS defunding etc.
They will attempt to distract with hot button social “issues”. He should be calm and measured on these. He needs to look like a voice of reason and not an activist. Maybe that would sway some in the middle.
  • Hook 'Em 2

It’s not that they don’t give a shit, it’s just that the average Texan is complete self absorbed piece of shit. 150 years of Texas exceptionalism propaganda has led to a state of assholes that love the smell of their own farts.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

It’s not that they don’t give a shit, it’s just that the average Texan is complete self absorbed piece of shit. 150 years of Texas exceptionalism propaganda has led to a state of assholes that love the smell of their own farts.

i see you are familiar with surly 😄

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Abbott will just counter with pics of him riding in a patrol boat on the Rio Grande wearing tactical gear and looking down the barrel of a gun. That alone will get him 3.5 million votes.

The people who fall for that crap are gonna vote for him regardless.

• immamac changed the title to The Beto Effect - How To Lose Elections and Influence Nothing