The Beto Effect - How To Lose Elections and Influence Nothing

tantric superman

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

Nope. He would lose in dramatic fashion. Republicans don’t give a flying fuck about military service. They voted for Trump who disrespected military service members, active and veterans. And they happily voted for him again.

you don’t get it.

My point was more about finding a candidate that matches the vibe of Texans, rather than a skateboarding, ex rock band member.  (Not to bash Beto, I like him but he's not a 'fit' in this state.)  I understand that whoever Dems run will likely lose, but unless they plan on waving the white flag entirely, they need to change how they identify their candidates.

I know he's anti-political parties and it would be a long-shot, but I'd also start playing the long game with Nate Boyer if I was the Texas Democratic Party.  I'm typically not a fan of celebrity candidates, but the person who flips Texas blue isn't going to simply be a politician that worked his way up the ranks.

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I spent a year in WV between ‘20-‘22.  I’m not certain how he got elected tbh, but I figure it goes deeper than an add with a rifle. I’m talking Trump flags on every other porch where I was.  

They identify with Manchin. He's one of them. Trump's just the cudgel they swing at a society that shafted them. 

I was recruited to run in the old CD-21 back in the early 2000's, because I was authentically representative of Hays County and well known in the community for getting a handful of things done that had nothing to do with Party. And that is literally all it takes. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

9 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

They identify with Manchin. He's one of them.

So is Jim Justice, but most everyone I met, when it came up, hated him. Or at least talked all kinds of shit.  Politics would typically be the last thing I’d be discussing, but I was dealing with state agencies so JJ was often discussed.  I never bothered to ask about Trump, flag of him riding a tank on the front porch should have told you.  

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m not certain how he got elected tbh, but I figure it goes deeper than an add with a rifle.

that ad ran in 2010 when he was the sitting was the sitting governor, in a special election to replace robert byrd (D).  WV had had all of 9 years of republican senators (counting both) in the prior 75 years at the time, and none since the 1950s.  that was a state where (D) was the party identity of much of the electorate.  i think that is the difference. he's not trying to convince (R) voters that he's really not beholden to nancy pelosi, he's convincing (D) voters that he's still one of them. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

that ad ran in 2010 when he was the sitting was the sitting governor, in a special election to replace robert byrd (D).  WV had had all of 9 years of republican senators (counting both) in the prior 75 years at the time, and none since the 1950s.  that was a state where (D) was the party identity of much of the electorate.  i think that is the difference. he's not trying to convince (R) voters that he's really not beholden to nancy pelosi, he's convincing (D) voters that he's still one of them. 

I wish I would have picked their brains more when I was there.  Always fascinated by heavy blue/D areas that are still backwards af.  WV, Boston, etc.  I tried to understand it when I was living in Boston, but never could.

4 minutes ago, elfenix said:

But also that they could still be Democrats and have their identity at the same time.  There are still almost as many registered D's as Rs in WVA

Texas Democrats need to find an identity that is uniquely Texas.... a brand so to speak. Currently it's the island of misfit toys.
It's 'other' in relation to 'batshit crazy MAGA' and corporate rich white boomer men. But what does it mean? I really can't tell you.
Do Texas democrats want to raise taxes? IDK.
Expand Medicaid? IDK.
Replace property taxes with an income tax?
Increase the minimum wage?
Codify a woman's right to choose?
I voted Dem in every statewide office, I literally do not know one policy plank of the state party. I did know that Beto wanted background checks all gun purchases and no 18 year olds buying AR15's. He also believes woman have a right to choose. But did he plan on trying to make that law? What was his legislative agenda?

If Texas Democrats want to win with no substance then they need the latina version of Ann Richards to spring forth with the charisma of Obama.
If they can find that, they can win a statewide office sooner than the 'in 10 years' we've been hearing for the last 20 years.
Anything other than finding that diamond in the rough, they're going to have to find out what latinos want out of politics. Meld that with African american's concerns.
Then package that so that white women and suburbanites doen't get scared of it or feel like they're the bad guy.

He pretty much covered most of that when I saw him speak. Also on his website.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, TexPx said:

He pretty much covered most of that when I saw him speak. Also on his website.

I'm busy.

The media I read and listen to didn't really cover it.... and I consume more news-ish things than most.

The only commercials I see are during football games.

Liberty defender Abbott was all over that. Inflation was smashing everything.

Biden and Beto kept breaking shit. The whole globe in fact. The, entire, world!

Beto didn't have a response during our 2nd quarter collapses. Maybe all those fundraising $'s were fake?

I assume that Beto was in fact responsible for the whole world's inflation problem after all.

Insurgent incumbent candidate Tio Greg surely wasn't the problem. I mean, he was rolling around the state shaking hands and smiling.

The alive kids in his ads seemed to like him. And the sun was always shiny too. Not like that time Beto's policies caused all the power to go out, the water to stop running, and people dying b/c of a cold front.

I'm just glad Abbott was finally able to defeat Beto and get him out of the governor's office. 

It's time for a change.

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I wish I would have picked their brains more when I was there.  Always fascinated by heavy blue/D areas that are still backwards af.  WV, Boston, etc.  I tried to understand it when I was living in Boston, but never could.

the roosevelt coalition was very strong.  and the generation in charge in the 50s would have been young adults during the west virginia coal wars, so would have been staunchly pro-union.  WV seems like it's going going through the same process that texas went through ~30 years ago (probably a lot more slowly because there's just fewer people coming or going, as opposed to texas where everyone and south austin's mom are moving here). 

boston is backward?

• 1 month later...