The Beto Effect - How To Lose Elections and Influence Nothing

tantric superman

But for Beto, Dallas would have likely lost two State Rep seats and the State Senate Seat.  

And Allred would not have won the US Congress seat.

I think this is a big and permanent blow to the Watermark Mafia and the religious wack jobs who held more sway than they deserved in this region.  Dallas is going to remain a place that wants to be liberal but not as liberal as Austin.  Which is good politically.  

Most importantly, I was involved tangentially with the campaigns of Allred and John Turner, and especially as to Allred, I was pretty impressed with the no-nonsense, even kind of vicious, approach of some of the millennials who seemed to be running those campaigns.  I think they are going to be loaded up and ready for bear next round. 

These young sonsanddaughersofbitches are all about marketing and metrics and they are going to figure it out.  And ultimately, the Republicans will have to improve their game. 

• Like 2

Just now, Satchel said:

Dems swept Dallas County. An persuasive  argument could be made that a much more diverse is already more liberal than Austin.

Both Houston and Dallas are already more diverse and liberal than Austin.  Houston has had a black mayor and a lesbian mayor.  The problem for Texas is Longview.  There are a lot of Longviews.  Way more Longviews than NY state has to deal with.  But you have Houston, Dallas, and Austin to counter them.  NY just has NYC.  Just a matter of time. Keep growing.

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Both Houston and Dallas are already more diverse and liberal than Austin.  Houston has had a black mayor and a lesbian mayor.  The problem for Texas is Longview.  There are a lot of Longviews.  Way more Longviews than NY state has to deal with.  But you have Houston, Dallas, and Austin to counter them.  NY just has NYC.  Just a matter of time. Keep growing.

What's wrong with Longview?

Just now, BigVegasHorn26 said:

What's wrong with Longview?

Same shit that is wrong with the rest of highway stop Texas towns.  Its best hotel is La Quinta and its best restaurant is Waffle House.  Not a whole lot different than any other I20 exit town.  Should have kept business up on 80.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Is that a zing?  Longview is always a franchise town and never an HQ.  What do you do there?  I'll buy you out.

There is 5 gohmerts to every shelia.  Let’s unpack the districts and see how things play out.  I’m guessing that ain’t a proposition Rs are willing to accept. 

I’m so glad Beto helped take out the trash.

pete Sessions was a shity congressman who used his position as chairman on the house rules committee to single handedly stonewall weed reform bills. The legislation would pass, but he never let it come up for a vote because of his personal opinion. Fuck that guy.

culberson was some dorky loser who looked like he belonged in a chess club. Not a us congressman.

good riddance on both. Thanks Beto.

Edited by Voldemort86

6 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Same shit that is wrong with the rest of highway stop Texas towns.  Its best hotel is La Quinta and its best restaurant is Waffle House.  Not a whole lot different than any other I20 exit town.  Should have kept business up on 80.

I get your actual point. But Longview is a strange choice to illustrate it.

6 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

There is 5 gohmerts to every shelia.  Let’s unpack the districts and see how things play out.  I’m guessing that ain’t a proposition Rs are willing to accept. 

That's not Shelia Jackson Lee, but your point still stands. 

• Like 1

Do the youth come out like they did without Beto on the ballot in the next election? That is a key issue for me. When I went to vote yesterday the polling place was full of under 25's, all excited about voting, joking in line, being told to shut off their phones. I was really happy to see them all engaged. 

Did Beto finally get them to become active for every election? 

• Like 1

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

Do the youth come out like they did without Beto on the ballot in the next election? That is a key issue for me. When I went to vote yesterday the polling place was full of under 25's, all excited about voting, joking in line, being told to shut off their phones. I was really happy to see them all engaged. 

I hope so. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I have full faith that Trump and the GOP will make sure the youth come out to vote in 2020.   I think the racism and demonizing of brown people will only increase   

Also, Goeb, Paxton, and Miller all won by less than 5%.   The days of an (R) next to a name equaling an easy victory in Texas are over.   

56 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Same here, but every cycle there are "young voters"  

Is there any data showing young people entering the electorate faster than old people dying off?
And how long does it take for our California transplants to become eligible to vote in Texas? I don't know, I've lived in Travis County almost my life and I don't feel like Googling.

Anyways, Beto 2020.

Just now, Tired of Lurking said:

Is there any data showing young people entering the electorate faster than old people dying off?
And how long does it take for our California transplants to become eligible to vote in Texas? I don't know, I've lived in Travis County almost my life and I don't feel like Googling.

Anyways, Beto 2020.

As soon as you move to Texas, you can register to vote if you have a Texas address.

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Same here, but every cycle there are "young voters"  

Yea, but the young voters are replacing the old voters.  And it was the 65+ crowd that made up the red firewall for the most part.  My 16 yo son is already excited he can vote in 2020. 

If they get a candidate who can relate to them like Beto, then I think they will turn out.  And I think they will find such a candidate to stand behind. 

Another big thing I credit to the Beto effect is the Tex Dems are awake and engaged again.  Just in my little community, we are already talking about organizing now to help the effort next election.  The grassroots are already in place, if the Tex Dem Party can adjust to change and follow Beto's lead more. 

What I saw though is the Dems have entirely different apps for phonebanking and canvassing that Beto used.  They need to settle on one and combine and clean up the data bases once the election data is collected.  If the state party was smart, they would get Beto to be an advisor to help them build a better machine. 

13 hours ago, JBJ said:

Is Watermark that big of a presence in Dallas now? 

Oh, a friend of mine used it in passing.  I'm always giving him shit about WM. 

I'm just using it to represent everything that is bad in Christianity.  The pastor over there endorsed Lisa Luby Ryan and she simply just was not a good candidate.

Edited by tantric superman

13 hours ago, Chilly Water said:

The 32nd district went for Hillary in 2016 so the foundation for Dems to take over was already laid. I don’t know that you can credit Beto for getting Allred in.

Also every Sessions ad seemed like it focused on Allred and boosted his name recognition. I would always laugh when his attack ads would begin by saying 

"Colin Allred. He wants single payer healthcare"

Cool. He's got my vote

Edit: also before all those ads I hadn't done any research and just assumed Colin Allred was probably Gloria Allred's son

Edited by cmontexas

• 3 years later...

the left is going to have punch the right in the face with vicious questions, relentlessly, with venom and fire

it can be done

there are dems that can do it

they were handed a seditious treasonous attempt to overthrow the government, and so far we have a bag of dicks to show for it

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This really is why the right hates Beto.  He calls them on their shit.  Both politicians and voters.  Bullies are always cowards in actuality and don't like being called out.

6 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the left is going to have punch the right in the face with vicious questions, relentlessly, with venom and fire

it can be done

there are dems that can do it

they were handed a seditious treasonous attempt to overthrow the government, and so far we have a bag of dicks to show for it

This is exactly why the left needs more Betos. He does awesome shit like this, gets up in their faces with facts and dunks on em every chance he gets. It’s glorious. I wish more democrats would take the gloves off like Beto seemingly does. And yes. I love the fact that he cusses. Shows actual personality instead of empty suits being horrible actors. And to me it randomly shows that he really fucking cares. Being a political figure and saying “I’m so fucking proud of you guys!!!” is fucking badass. Makes me feel like I’d be represented by a dude that gives a fuck. That would be a nice feeling. Maybe in another life…

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

This is exactly why the left needs more Betos. He does awesome shit like this, gets up in their faces with facts and dunks on em every chance he gets. It’s glorious. I wish more democrats would take the gloves off like Beto seemingly does. And yes. I love the fact that he cusses. Shows actual personality instead of empty suits being horrible actors. And to me it randomly shows that he really fucking cares. Being a political figure and saying “I’m so fucking proud of you guys!!!” is fucking badass. Makes me feel like I’d be represented by a dude that gives a fuck. That would be a nice feeling. Maybe in another life…

Now if he could just win an election...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

• immamac changed the title to The Beto Effect - How To Lose Elections and Influence Nothing