The Beto Effect - How To Lose Elections and Influence Nothing

tantric superman

On 9/25/2022 at 2:59 PM, Poe It Up said:

Countries with 2 million people find it easier to navigate their healthcare system, news at 11. It’s almost as if undocumented immigrants are a strain on our medical system. Naw, can’t be that. 

It’s not just the undocumented who account for billions In uncompensated care at Parkland. It’s also the un/under insured in  Collin and Denton Counties.

On 10/3/2022 at 11:53 AM, Chewbacca said:

MIL is visiting us in CO right now (she lives in TX).  Had a conversation with her this morning where she tried to 'both sides' the election deniers and J6 violence.  When I shot that down, she pivoted to Hunter Biden.  Their arguments don't even make sense.  They vote R because they've always voted R and that's about all the thought that goes into it for so many people.  So guys like Abbott and Paxton can keep doing their thing forever because TX voters will never hold them accountable.

Most of their arguments hold up like tissue paper. There are reasonable arguments to be a conservative voter but that’s not the GOP party today. They have zero values as a party.

there is also a good reason why the gop is losing most of their educated base. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

I changed counties recently as well. Where do I get this done?

BRUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Come on. Get it done, now. Don't give the state the chance you keep you from voting. 

Changing your address with USPS and your voter registration with the state should be the first 2 things you do when you move. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

BRUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Come on. Get it done, now. Don't give the state the chance you keep you from voting. 

Changing your address with USPS and your voter registration with the state should be the first 2 things you do when you move. 

I actually did this last year (changed voter registration) when I bought my house and changed my address on DL and wouldn’t you know it wasn’t accepted for whatever reason (nobody told me shit). I had to “re-register” confirming my new address.  Why have the option to update voting registration if you’re not going to fucking do it?!

1 minute ago, mr.goodkat said:

The last day to register to be eligible to vote in the general election is Tuesday, Oct. 11.

Also a good reminder to GO CHECK YOUR REGISTRATION and make sure it's still active.

Just now, Js1 said:

Also a good reminder to GO CHECK YOUR REGISTRATION and make sure it's still active.

i have NEVER voted in a texas gubernatorial election . never really paid attention to politics until obama was elected . you can't keep me from voting this go around . i hope there MILLIONS like me 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's now down to get out of the vote. Neither Abbott nor Beto can change many minds now.

I think this is where the college tour is a great idea. Hopefully they have a ton of volunteers at these rallies making sure that these students are registered and have a plan to vote. If Beto can get young voters to the ballot box, he could have a chance.

22 minutes ago, royiv said:

I think this is where the college tour is a great idea. Hopefully they have a ton of volunteers at these rallies making sure that these students are registered and have a plan to vote. If Beto can get young voters to the ballot box, he could have a chance.

Sure. But then Brazos County closes the most popular and busiest early voting site on the aggy campus. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

The only hope Beto has now is for unengaged likely Abbott voters look at his shitshow record and think, "Meh...he'll still probably beat Beto.  But fuck if I'm gonna bother to vote for him.  Hasn't really done much for the last four years.  Who gives a shit, toss me a beer." 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Then volunteers need to be shuttling students to the polls. A full tank of gas can help with some votes.

I truly cannot recall if that was struck from SB1 or not.  I thought you have to register and stuff if you transport 3 or more non family members to the polls.  In which case, the state knows who you are and it would be an awful idea to have the state of Texas ready to make up fraud to convict you. 

So I just checked my voter registration and noticed it has my old address, even though I was told at the DMV it would update when I went in to get my license renewed a couple of months ago. Both addresses are in Travis county, so presumably I can still vote anywhere in the county, but is there any issue with the DL address and the Voter registration address being different? 

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

So I just checked my voter registration and noticed it has my old address, even though I was told at the DMV it would update when I went in to get my license renewed a couple of months ago. Both addresses are in Travis county, so presumably I can still vote anywhere in the county, but is there any issue with the DL address and the Voter registration address being different? 

I didn't vote in Texas in 2020 because I was not here, but in 2018, I had also moved and they asked me at the polls about the discrepancy between my voter ID address and my license address and I think they either updated it there or it was fine because it was a move within Harris county. 

22 minutes ago, Blotto said:

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I didn't vote in Texas in 2020 because I was not here, but in 2018, I had also moved and they asked me at the polls about the discrepancy between my voter ID address and my license address and I think they either updated it there or it was fine because it was a move within Harris county. 

You need to change your new address for voting.  You may have different ballots even within the same county.

Most likely you can get away with lying when they ask if you still live in your old address but why take the chance. In today's world, I would not want to intentionally break voting laws.

Just follow this process: https://txapps.texas.gov/tolapp/sos/SOSACManager

• Like 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You need to change your new address for voting.  You may have different ballots even within the same county.

Most likely you can get away with lying when they ask if you still live in your old address but why take the chance. In today's world, I would not want to intentionally break voting laws.

I was aware I could change my voter registration online, but I was confused as to whether the 30 day lag would cause issues with early voting -specifically early voting ending before the 30 day window. I just called the Travis County Clerk Elections Division and spoke with someone there. She assured me that if I update my voter registration address online before Oct 11th, that change would be "visible" at the start of early voting period, so I'll just do that. 

Abbott would be +8 in normal times.  You can give Beto a point because of Dobbs, maybe another because of Uvalde, maybe 2 more because he’s campaigning so hard/effectively.  Then take away 2 from Beto because of inflation and the stock market.  Abbott is going to win by somewhere between 4 and 7 points.  It’s hopeless for Beto.  It always was.

Edited by Snake Diggity

21 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

I actually did this last year (changed voter registration) when I bought my house and changed my address on DL and wouldn’t you know it wasn’t accepted for whatever reason (nobody told me shit). I had to “re-register” confirming my new address.  Why have the option to update voting registration if you’re not going to fucking do it?!

Don't count on DPS and SoS to communicate data well.  Check online to see if your address is right, if not, call your Election Administration Office and ask for assistance.  

This is a link to every EA office in the state, by county:  Election Administration Offices of Texas.  

At this point, time is of the essence, particularly for registering.   Best not to put off checking and making any necessary corrections.   

19 hours ago, mr.goodkat said:

The last day to register to be eligible to vote in the general election is Tuesday, Oct. 11.

If you wait until the 11th to turn in your application, you might not be able to vote in this election.   We ran into this in 2020, where they sent in postmarked the deadline, but they go by the day the application is processed, not postmarked.    It comes down to the definition of "to register."

37 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Then volunteers need to be shuttling students to the polls. A full tank of gas can help with some votes.

It's a fairly short hike across campus to the city hall, and I have heard that the young Dems there and other groups are going to try to make going to vote, to make that hike, a fun event.  I have a feeling it will end up biting that red county in the ass. 

36 minutes ago, Blotto said:

33 minutes ago, Js1 said:

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That is good advice, but I wouldn't go through the sos at this late date.  Call the Travco EA at (512) 854-4996

Or Harris Co at (713) 755-6965.  Or find your local county office from the link above.  

If you have questions or need help with anything voting related, call the Dem Party voter hotline.  It's open from now until 5 days after the election (for curing provisional ballots).    844-TX-VOTES.   

Also remember if someone is registered to vote in one county but can't get there to vote, they can vote what is termed a "limited" ballot.   That is a ballot that only has races on it that the counties share in common.   Usually that is state races only, but sometimes you have overlap with SBOE or congressional/state district races.  

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to The Beto Effect - How To Lose Elections and Influence Nothing