Burgers

ftf82

Anyone try 5280 Burger Bar off Far West in the old El Arroyo space?  Started in Denver and opened this location a couple months ago. Looks good, but haven’t stopped by yet.
https://www.5280burgerbar.com/menu/austin/

Not bad. We’ve been once. My wife had us split a burger. It was good. Would have been better if I’d had a whole mother fucking burger, though. That was some bullshit I won’t be repeating.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, South Austin said:

Anyone try 5280 Burger Bar off Far West in the old El Arroyo space?  Started in Denver and opened this location a couple months ago. Looks good, but haven’t stopped by yet.

we went a couple of weeks ago. i'd put it in the 'high end' burger category, e.g. Hopdoddy...price def reflects that lol. burger was pretty darn good but the onion rings were a big disappointment, very bland, no flavor in the onions or the batter. they do make a homemade ranch tho, it was delicious!

we ended up talking to the owner for like 15 minutes (bc we are planning a move to Denver soon). turns out he was the original owner of Arroyo's and sold it however many years ago to move to Denver himself. still had the restaurant bug so opened 5280, then moved back here b/c he got homesick for Texas. and ended up in the same spot as Arroyo used to occupy off FW. funny story 🙂

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, mchookem said:

we went a couple of weeks ago. i'd put it in the 'high end' burger category, e.g. Hopdoddy...price def reflects that lol. burger was pretty darn good but the onion rings were a big disappointment, very bland, no flavor in the onions or the batter.

We live nearby, been meaning to grab some grub there.  I hope the burgers are better than Hopdoddy.  Did you try the fries?  They brag about them.

Not bad. We’ve been once. My wife had us split a burger. It was good. Would have been better if I’d had a whole mother fucking burger, though. That was some bullshit I won’t be repeating.

WTF. That was fucking power move by your wife. She’s not hungry, so you’re not hungry either. Fuck that.
  • Rage+1 1

64504543.jpg

I’ve got a bit of PTSD from witnessing a buddy in the same situation right after they got married. We were all at Whataburger and his wife said they were sharing a burger because she wasn’t that hungry. He said he wanted his own because he was starving. You could hear her pussy lock closing shut as she said “I don’t care, I’m not wasting a half a burger.” He didn’t say another word and they shared a burger. he hasn’t shot her 15 years later but I would understand if he did.

On 2/6/2022 at 8:01 PM, South Austin said:

My dad gave it a good review. Haven't been myself. I know it isn't burgers but I'm a fan of Biderman's across the street. 

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I’ve got a bit of PTSD from witnessing a buddy in the same situation right after they got married. We were all at Whataburger and his wife said they were sharing a burger because she wasn’t that hungry. He said he wanted his own because he was starving. You could hear her pussy lock closing shut as she said “I don’t care, I’m not wasting a half a burger.” He didn’t say another word and they shared a burger. he hasn’t shot her 15 years later but I would understand if he did.

That's what the Whataburger Jr. is made for. I'll order one for myself from time to time if it's a late afternoon snack or I'm not super hungry.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 2:37 PM, mchookem said:

we ended up talking to the owner for like 15 minutes (bc we are planning a move to Denver soon). turns out he was the original owner of Arroyo's and sold it however many years ago to move to Denver himself. still had the restaurant bug so opened 5280, then moved back here b/c he got homesick for Texas. and ended up in the same spot as Arroyo used to occupy off FW. funny story 🙂

That's Clay McPhail, a really good guy.  The Ditch went to hell in a hand basket after he sold out to the Winstanley's.

No more homemade chips and salsa and fewer cute servers!  I hope the new place is a success.

That's what the Whataburger Jr. is made for. I'll order one for myself from time to time if it's a late afternoon snack or I'm not super hungry.

My exact move the other day. Had eaten some snacks at lunch, but was hungry at 2:00, got the Jr meal, it was perfect.

That's Clay McPhail, a really good guy.  The Ditch went to hell in a hand basket after he sold out to the Winstanley's.
No more homemade chips and salsa and fewer cute servers!  I hope the new place is a success.

Clay owned Convict Hill when I waited tables there 30+ years ago. He was a good guy, treated us well, would sometimes buy staff drinks at closing time. Saw this was his place, and am happy to support it.

15 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Haha, El Arroyo was terrible long before the Winstanleys.  It was for margaritas and you hoped to not get too drunk to go elsewhere to eat.  

Changing the subject a bit, has anyone been to the Justine’s head chef burger pop up Le Beef?

spacer.png

On 2/8/2022 at 4:56 PM, LCHorn said:

Haha, El Arroyo was terrible long before the Winstanleys.  It was for margaritas and you hoped to not get too drunk to go elsewhere to eat.  

Changing the subject a bit, has anyone been to the Justine’s head chef burger pop up Le Beef?

spacer.png

I thought El Arroyo ironically always made a good burger. 

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, utee94 said:

They did.  Lots of Tex-Mex places make really good burgers.

Yeah, my father-in-law, a San Antonio boy, almost always orders a burger at places like Karam's (RIP), Matt's, El Arroyo.  One time I asked him why and he looked at me like I had a second head growing out of my neck.  He often looks at me that way, though.

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2022 at 4:29 PM, royiv said:

My go to move is a Whataburger Jr. with cheese and jalapeños, and a sweet and spicy bacon burger or patty melt.  Eat the jr. and half of the other, then reheat the leftover half of the  ssbc or patty melt for breakfast.  

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

My go to move is a Whataburger Jr. with cheese and jalapeños, and a sweet and spicy bacon burger or patty melt.  Eat the jr. and half of the other, then reheat the leftover half of the  ssbc or patty melt for breakfast.  

This guy Whataburgers^

On 2/8/2022 at 4:56 PM, LCHorn said:

spacer.png

where are they now?  i dont think they are at abw anymore.

On 6/13/2021 at 5:53 PM, HenryJames said:

Hopfields you stupid faget.

Certainly not a trend but my last visit there was pretty disappointing food wise (kitchen was slow, too, but that’s generally low on my list of priorities).  The burger (formerly a charmer) was almost devoid of flavor and the fries were about high school cafeteria quality. Even my kid’s grilled cheese was not as good as I remembered it (bread selection, imo).   

On the bright side, looks like they got their liquor license (finally) and they’ve always had a wonderful selection of beers.  If I was an owner I would definitely do $3 off beer/wine with a student ID and try to make it more of a college place.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 5:58 PM, LCHorn said:

Certainly not a trend but my last visit there was pretty disappointing food wise (kitchen was slow, too, but that’s generally low on my list of priorities).  The burger (formerly a charmer) was almost devoid of flavor and the fries were about high school cafeteria quality. Even my kid’s grilled cheese was not as good as I remembered it (bread selection, imo).  

And they also had a blonde bombshell with huge tits working the bar before the pandemic and now she's gone, so there's also that.

hate to hear that about hopfields. i had the same experience there a few months ago with a less than stellar burger but chalked it up to them just having a bad night. previously it was just about my favorite burger in town. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

had the pascal at hopfields last week.  i would not say quality has dropped off at all.  still an excellent and one-of-a-kind burger.   we sat on the patio and the service was terrible.  waiter was a total dick.  and slow on top of that.  wine was expensive per glass and the pours were on the cinchy side.  

38 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

had the pascal at hopfields last week.  i would not say quality has dropped off at all.  still an excellent and one-of-a-kind burger.   we sat on the patio and the service was terrible.  waiter was a total dick.  and slow on top of that.  wine was expensive per glass and the pours were on the cinchy side.  

I've usually had good service there and stick to beer, but things have dropped off a bit since Covid.  But the pascal still goes top shelf.  Crown burger always a hit.  I could take or leave Player's food.  Other two campus haunts are Dirty Martin's.  Need to check in and see when their woefully-premature closing date is (fuck you CoA!).  And for the first time ever, after being a regular for the better part of a decade...tried a burger at Haymaker on Manor.  Had the Pecan Street burger and it was really fucking good.  Not an all-timer, but I will certainly be ordering it again (in-house peppered bacon made the thing).  No shortage of great burgers near campus.  I kinda wish there was more/better Mexican food though, thread for another time...

56 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

I had that burger 6 months or so ago. Did not care for it at all. It was so acidic between the cornichons and the mustard. All I tasted was acidity and more acidity. That combined with the cost of it really did not impress me. The best burger I've had in Austin was at the Little Darlin. Every bite was well seasoned and delicious. It's still $15, but at least it comes with fries. 

58 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

does anyone know if the drink.well burger is the same as foreign and domestic?  the f&d one gets mentioned in many top 10 lists, but drink.well is more casual and comfortable to me.

Pretty sure they’re different owners.

On 4/7/2022 at 4:41 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Any of you Austin knuckleheads tried Bad Larry Burger Club. I have been wanting to for more than a year now, but since I don’t live in Austin it is hard to be there at the same time he does some pop up. I love me a good, simple smash burger.

Awesome burger.  Def worth checking out.  He’s usually got a standing gig on Rainey, no?

If you can’t get one next time you’re in swing by HoldOut Brewery on West 5th.  Very similar and there are some connections between the two too.  

• Like 1