Burgers

ftf82

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Cross off Hopdoddy’s on Anderson. I hadn’t been since pre COVID but it was terrible last night. The patty was probably a 40/60 meat/fat ratio. The fries were old, cold, and stale. My kid’s shake was watery. At least, the beer was cold.

I’ll echo this, they’ve really become inconsistent.  

10 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Cross off Hopdoddy’s on Anderson. I hadn’t been since pre COVID but it was terrible last night. The patty was probably a 40/60 meat/fat ratio. The fries were old, cold, and stale. My kid’s shake was watery. At least, the beer was cold.

I went to the one in the Triangle over a year ago and it was decent, but haven't been to a Hopdoddy since.  For a comparable burger that is much better, imho, I go to 5280 off Far West.

• Hook 'Em 1

Huh, I had heard terrible things about 5280 shortly after they opened.  It's real close to us, I'll have to give them a shot.  They did get a glowing review in one of those neighborhood apps when some asshat brought an entire kid's baseball team there for an end-of-season party . . . 20 minutes before closing.  Apparently, the staff handled it with grace and the food was good.  Who would do that to such a small joint?  That's what Pinthouse is for.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Hopdoddy in CP has been good when I've gone, most recently was in early December.

Agree that 5280 is comparable and tasty.  Many probably know, but for those who don't, Clay McPhail, former owner of El Arroyo, is the guy who opened up 5280.  

Clay is a solid guy who is great at hospitality.  5280 is a great place.

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Huh, I had heard terrible things about 5280 shortly after they opened.  It's real close to us, I'll have to give them a shot.  They did get a glowing review in one of those neighborhood apps when some asshat brought an entire kid's baseball team there for an end-of-season party . . . 20 minutes before closing.  Apparently, the staff handled it with grace and the food was good.  Who would do that to such a small joint?  That's what Pinthouse is for.

Give it a shot.  It's more like the Hopdoddy artisan burger, or whatever the hell you want to call it, and not like your basic burger at Crown & Anchor and places like that.  I'm a fan of the Fat Boy and the Baja.  And if you order the Ring of Fire, your second beer is half off.

The last time I was there, a couple Sundays ago, they were short-staffed and the wait times were much longer than usual, but service is typically pretty good in my experience.

Edited by South Austin

3 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I’ll echo this, they’ve really become inconsistent.  

I find Hoppdoddy to be wildly variable from location to location. It seems like something their corporate team would be focused on fixing, but a consistent product seems to elude them.

• 3 weeks later...

Comment on a local fave burger joint (but not about the burgers):  I remember liking the fries at Hopdoddy, and was jonesing for some the other day, so I dropped in the Anderson Lane location and grabbed an order.  Holy crap they were bad.  They came across like oven baked frozen fries from the grocery store.  Not the same as they used to be, by a long shot.

Comment on a local fave burger joint (but not about the burgers):  I remember liking the fries at Hopdoddy, and was jonesing for some the other day, so I dropped in the Anderson Lane location and grabbed an order.  Holy crap they were bad.  They came across like oven baked frozen fries from the grocery store.  Not the same as they used to be, by a long shot.

Hopdoddy sucks. There is one by my office and I would rather go get an overpriced salad at Bellagreen.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 3/26/2023 at 9:52 AM, Armybrat said:

Mooyah’s by Lakeline & 183 is consistently very good. Fries are great too.

We have just about given up on Whataburger. Their standard burgers are always dry, and the fries are meh. 
Milkshakes are still pretty good though.

Mooyah is a local Plano joint that expanded but still managed to keep their consistency. For the sit down or take out non gourmet burger place it's my fav up there with the original Sky Rocket. Much better than Whataburger and it takes half as long to get your food. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Mooyah is a local Plano joint that expanded but still managed to keep their consistency. For the sit down or take out non gourmet burger place it's my fav up there with the original Sky Rocket. Much better than Whataburger and it takes half as long to get your food. 

Tell them to keep expanding. 

Screenshot_20230328_215534_Maps.thumb.jpg.b45eedce52868d188e31e3f3c319e7f2.jpg

On 2/27/2023 at 11:07 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I went with a few people a couple weeks after it opened and everyone thought it was overpriced for food that was uniformly bland. The burgers just had no flavor, all you tasted was the toppings. Sounds like I need to give it another shot, maybe they're more dialed in now.

25 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

Could you order ahead an OT Special with jalapenos and a side of tots and pick it up as the train went through? Because I would totally ride it then.

You're going to be waiting a long time for that train.

On 4/13/2023 at 1:22 PM, 4th&Five said:

I got tots last time i was there and it cost me $4.75 for 8 whole tots.

I love the cheese tots, but I'm not paying $5.75 for a side. 

Dirty's has one of my favorite burgers in the city, and it's a top old-austin experience, but their prices are kinda high. I guess it's what you have to charge in the area to keep a restaurant open. But by comparison, a double cheeseburger with fries at Crown & Anchor is $11.75 (and you get a metric fuck-ton of fries) where at Dirty's a large OT with fries is $14.65. Crown's burgers are much bigger, too.

It's not a huge difference, but $4.25 for fries or a side of tots just seems high to me. Add in a $3 iced tea and you're paying $22 with tip for lunch. 

• Hook 'Em 2

went to the new top notch in hutto last weekend and it was straight up 100% terrible. no redeeming qualities. they were busy as shit but somehow the burger was cold, the fries were cold, and the fried chicken was garbage. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, stc said:

went to the new top notch in hutto last weekend and it was straight up 100% terrible. no redeeming qualities. they were busy as shit but somehow the burger was cold, the fries were cold, and the fried chicken was garbage. 

Plus, it's in Hutto.

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

• Hook 'Em 3